Could You Survive With Out Northern Soul Motown Etc ?

Hi everybody I was just thinking today could you survive without Northern soul in your life ? personally I dont think I could not that I'am saying I cant manage life but I feel as if I'am blessed with this wonderfull music. I don't think I could go in to town like the rest of the sheep on a saturday night they just all seem so mundane. Also what was your life like before you got into the soul scene ? I always feel that soulies are on a different wave length to the rest of the people a sort of secret club even if it is in the media alot more nowadays they still dont get it not that I want them to. So really just wondering what peoples thoughts are about it. smile.gif

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I'd take up Shooting, Archery or Basket Weaving.

Didnt have you down as the basket weaving type Joe but fair play to you laugh.gif I think I would take up brick collecting just for the hell off it.

Social source share

Yeah sure, its not a question of surviving, just adapting.

You've got to be pretty one-dimensional for it to be the core of your being, though I can't imagine what could give me the same healthy buzz for so long at the weekends.

Social source share

marriage started going down the pan in the nineties

then divorce

long term relationship started going down the pan in the noughties

then split

I could live without Northern Soul but I wouldn't feel alive.

the thrill of the impending weekend nighter

travelling with your mates(soulies thro n thro) imber always cheers me up

Experience heaven then hell the next day

live without Northern Soul NEVER

marching on together

31_BAB17.jpg

Social source share

I could live without Northern Soul but I wouldn't feel alive.

Yes thats what I was looking for to describe how I feel about it thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest hatman

Mmmm Brick Collecting could be interesting

Would that mean Original Bricks or copies

Would older bricks be more valuable and when would JM provide a price guide????

Social source share

Mmmmm not sure but as a builder I do come across some intresting bricks I am kidding of course wink.gif

Social source share

Hmmm good question young Al.

Speaking personally as a supposed Modern fan could I survive without Northern Soul?

I'd miss it but sooner or later I'd find some other group of folks to take the p155 out of :lol:laugh.gif

Bet you would as well :(wink.gif

Social source share

Guest Byrney

If we're talking about surviving without the scene - yeah definitely, There are other social scenes other than Northern and the Townie pub crawl circuit. When I got into House etc I had no problem with leading a double life with clubs one week - nighters another, eventually leaving the scene in 94 for a good few years.

Some of the best years of my life were off the scene as well as on it thumbsup.gif

Social source share

loved being a part of it since 1978, had a break for 10 yrs from about 87 (cant remember why), lovin it again. i dont remember missing it at all during that time so i suppose if i was out of this scene again, i'd be enjoying something else. the love of the music has never gone away and i dont think it ever will.

IAN

Social source share

Hi everybody I was just thinking today could you survive without Northern soul in your life ? personally I dont think I could not that I'am saying I cant manage life but I feel as if I'am blessed with this wonderfull music. I don't think I could go in to town like the rest of the sheep on a saturday night they just all seem so mundane. Also what was your life like before you got into the soul scene ? I always feel that soulies are on a different wave length to the rest of the people a sort of secret club even if it is in the media alot more nowadays they still dont get it not that I want them to. So really just wondering what peoples thoughts are about it. smile.gif

....can u breathe without air?...

the answer is simple... no i could not live without northern soul

its always been a big part of my life...and always will be

i agree totally with you, we are on a different wave length...im so glad im not the only one who thinks this way.

KTF

susan.

Social source share

Now that Nori has closed down, Accrington are the rare original bricks very collectable laugh.gif

Social source share

Didnt have you down as the basket weaving type Joe but fair play to you laugh.gif I think I would take up brick collecting just for the hell off it.

When you have alot of bricks,

you could get into HOUSE MUSIC!!!

HAT, COAT, GONE.

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

When you have alot of bricks,

you could get into HOUSE MUSIC!!!

HAT, COAT, GONE.

dont have to collect bricks,what about bottles and sticks tongue.gif

Social source share

Yep, totally, soul music is a part of life, not the be all and end all........ there are so many other things in life that can totally occupy and satisfy. Surely the music goes hand in hand with the struggles of the time when it was produced, why not do something soulful, be like the family that some of the Motown artists created and be there for other peeps, dont take things for granted, feed your soul on helping others and being less selfish, this world is full of the me, me, me syndrome....... reach out!!!!!! As Marvin sang " Whats Goin On"?

Sometimes you have to step back and have a good long look at this world we live in, yes the music is what we grew up on, it touched our hearts and souls, we all made personal choices to be a part of the music.........but....... surely its not all about nighters, dancing and having a good time, the history of black soul music and the struggles of young black America played a massive part in the world we live in today. Is the struggle over..... never!

Thankyou and Goodnight

Philly

Edited by philly
Social source share

Hi everybody I was just thinking today could you survive without Northern soul in your life ? personally I dont think I could not that I'am saying I cant manage life but I feel as if I'am blessed with this wonderfull music. I don't think I could go in to town like the rest of the sheep on a saturday night they just all seem so mundane. Also what was your life like before you got into the soul scene ? I always feel that soulies are on a different wave length to the rest of the people a sort of secret club even if it is in the media alot more nowadays they still dont get it not that I want them to. So really just wondering what peoples thoughts are about it. :thumbup:

I dont do the soul scene anymore - but collecting original soul 45s is still something of a personal hobby for me.

I dont try to collect the current big tunes that are being played at allnighters like I did when I was 20 years old anymore , just the tunes that I wish to own. Its a personal thing now.

..... I have always been a vinyl junkie.

Weather its a 10 quid tune or a rare one, Its just a personal matter these days.

So in answer to your question?

f*** knows !

Social source share

Quality post young lady.

Totally agree with your sentiments.

The absence of a scene would leave a void but 'nature abhors a vacuum'.

There are always alternatives.

Yep, totally, soul music is a part of life, not the be all and end all........ there are so many other things in life that can totally occupy and satisfy. Surely the music goes hand in hand with the struggles of the time when it was produced, why not do something soulful, be like the family that some of the Motown artists created and be there for other peeps, dont take things for granted, feed your soul on helping others and being less selfish, this world is full of the me, me, me syndrome....... reach out!!!!!! As Marvin sang " Whats Goin On"?

Sometimes you have to step back and have a good long look at this world we live in, yes the music is what we grew up on, it touched our hearts and souls, we all made personal choices to be a part of the music.........but....... surely its not all about nighters, dancing and having a good time, the history of black soul music and the struggles of young black America played a massive part in the world we live in today. Is the struggle over..... never!

Thankyou and Goodnight

Philly

Social source share

Guest Krissii

"I always feel that soulies are on a different wave length to the rest of the people a sort of secret club even if it is in the media alot more nowadays they still dont get it not that I want them to."

id rather see NOTHING ABOUT SOUL on tv, than Paul O'Grady trying to make Russ Winstanley and Sandy Holt look like old sad northerners living in the past grrrrr

Social source share

The scene will always be "There", its in your heart, your mind and your SOUL.

As long as there are two people left who are into it you'll have a "scene" :thumbup:

Its about the music, it flows through your viens like a life blood, it pulls you from pillow to post, it stops conversations dead in their tracks.

However, there are other things equally or more enjoyable in life,

travel-exotic new places with records shops and second hand markets, driving vintage cars,along country lanes with the top down , wind rushing through your hair, past small carboot sales with people selling-up their collections of records, eating out in resturants and having one ear on the music in the back gound, hearing a Northern track and wondering which one of the 20 year olds waiting on the tables did the CD!

As the song says "Soething keeps calling me back"-We never left :yes:

Rob & Karen

Social source share

"I always feel that soulies are on a different wave length to the rest of the people a sort of secret club even if it is in the media alot more nowadays they still dont get it not that I want them to."

id rather see NOTHING ABOUT SOUL on tv, than Paul O'Grady trying to make Russ Winstanley and Sandy Holt look like old sad northerners living in the past grrrrr

Always suspected we were "On the outside looking in", long live The Undergound and "The Backstreet" its where we belong !

R & K

Social source share

Guest Krissii

yup... tommy neal still achieves the "ive got an itchy eye" status on that last verse when he screams that last line :thumbup:

i couldnt live without soul and i wasnt even there

Edited by Krissii
Social source share

Guest kev such

Not so much a case of couldnt live without it, but am chuffed to bits I know about it rather than not. If that makes sense.

Whatever mood Im in, as soon as those first few bars start or the meoldy kicks in my mood (whatever it is, happy, down, pissed off etc....) its lifterd (as Jackie said)

I sometimes get home before Karen after work and when she comes in one of the first thing she says is "you've been dacing again haven't you"? Then she points to the carpet in the front room being roughed up and obvious footwork patterns in it. Brilliant.

Whoevers going, we'll see you at Lincoln tonight for more roughing up the carpet.

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest Krissii

Not so much a case of couldnt live without it, but am chuffed to bits I know about it rather than not.

so you'd rather just know williams and watson exist without ever being allowed to put anything on when you feel down lol

sounds to me like you couldnt live without it :thumbup: who would you be if you'd never known about it? makes me proud to be northern

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

the show just made us look like wallys

Social source share

Guest Krissii

the show just made us look like wallys

russ was funny though lol trying to explain 3 before 8 to someone who didnt even get the first bit of the sentence....

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Well personally i couldn't live without it. but that's the same with most music. i like it and if it wasn't there i can understand i would have other music i like and listen to but there comes a time when you go back to what else you love.

maybe there should be a question is Northern soul your only musical love or do you follow other music that could be a million miles away from Northern soul

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert