Who Invented Funk?

Dayo

Don't know if this one is a chestnut, but does anyone have any thoughts on the origins of funk?

Are there any seminal recordings prior to the well known James Brown records?

don't know any answers to this But Check out track 10 "They Don't Want Music" on the new Black Eyed Peas Album Monkey Buisness featuring :P James Brown :P they have just Re-Invented Funk :yes: 10/10

Jon Buck

post-2461-1118917479_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

imagine a 'one that got away' situation: you meet, say, george clinton in about 1967.

you patiently explain that you've come from the future to eliminate him before he goes bongo-mad.

he looks at you quizzically and you explain that he's about to get heavily into funk.

what's funk? he asks.

foolishly, you tell him.

then, as you are about to deliver the coup de grace, your gun jams.

george takes a header out of the window, survives and legs it to a nearby studio where he puts into practice everything you've just told him.

now that would be a self-defeating bummer, wouldn't it.

link

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Just curious about the radio jock you mention.  An offshore pirate DJ maybe?

I was trying to think who was brave enough to champion Soul music on the air in the early 60's.  Mike Raven was an obvious one, but not one of the personality jocks. Emporer Rosko certainly did his bit for Stax/Atlantic.  And didn't Johnnie Walker have a soft spot for Motown?  Tony Blackburn's penchant for soul is well known but it's hard to consider him a music lovin' DJ.

Maybe this is one for another thread?

link

Anoughter soul old timer, who isnt on the internet as he is in Hospital at the moment, has asked me to pass on his contribution to this topic please.

He says Joe Tex and King Records had some part in producing the name FUNK and had strong connections to James Browns very early singing experiments.

A thread about Radio DJs and Soul Music, in the late 50s (the lead in from Rock and Roll),60s and 70s would be very interesting and could be very revealing.

I bet Mark Bicknell and the other open minded DJs on the scene at the moment would love this one.

Best Regards.

Denis.

Social source share

"Bob-on"Dan,Bob-on can any-body tell me what "take it to the bridge"is about,Yep while were here!George Clinton,what happend there then???.

link

"take it to the bridge" means a musical term were the music changes key or chord pattern, thats why james brown always says it before the music changes. :D

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

"take it to the bridge" means a musical term were the music changes key or chord pattern, thats why james brown always says it before the music changes. :D

link

you are almost right. The 'bridge' is the the bit between the verse and chorus. Also known as the 'middle 8'

A recent robbie williams record :D mentions 'thats a good line to take it the bridge'. I was hoping he meant it and took himself to a bridge :D

Shane

Social source share

you are almost right. The 'bridge' is the the bit between the verse and chorus. Also known as the 'middle 8'

A recent robbie williams record  :lol:   mentions 'thats a good line to take it the bridge'. I was hoping he meant it and took himself to a bridge  :thumbsup:

Shane

link

bridge or middle 8 i think theres loads of different terms for it mate, as for robbie williams i think a fly over on a motorway would be best. :yes:

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

The Americans have the right idea about funk, its called a douche bag  :thumbsup:   :wicked:   :P

link

Lived there many years. People are sometimes referred to as douche bags, never heard it apply to funk tho.

My first recollection of hearing a different type of soul was an instrumental released by James Brown and his organ! Can't remember the title of the 45 but it shaaaw was sum funky instrumental.

..while we're at naming soulful funk, try the Politicians - Free Your Mind and Diane Jenkins - I Need You.

Edited by deeve
Social source share

To my ears The Delegates Of Soul "I'll Come Running Back" sounds like a group harmony funk record, but because Butch played it, it's mysteriously become a northern soul oldie... I think there's a bit more cross-pollination than most would like to accept.

Also, just because a record mentions "funk" doesn't mean it's what we'd define as funk. As previously mentioned funk was a slang term referring to the smell hanging around a room after, you know, doing it... And the word jazz was a slang term meaning, well, you know... doing it. So quite how jazz-funk is the unsexiest music ever made is a bit of a conundrum...

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

Lifted from Soulful Detroit:

Don Mancha's name would crop up again, in July 1965, this time on  "Can't stop loving you baby", which was the flip side to the equally excellent "Hey", by Barbara Mercer. "Hey" is a classic sing-a-long Detroit number and was produced by the strangely named "Burg and Beans". It emerged on the forum recently that this was the name of a restaurant which was situated next door to the studio.

Dennis Coffey recalls, "I used to go that restaurant before sessions at Golden World, or sometimes on a long break. Man, they had the best baked beans and oblong hamburger in a hot dog bun. That kind of meal always made you want to play some serious funk."

So, looks like Dennis [along w/others] was funkin' it up back in '65 ph34r.gif
Social source share

Guest wrighty

To my ears The Delegates Of Soul "I'll Come Running Back" sounds like a group harmony funk record, but because Butch played it, it's mysteriously become a northern soul oldie... I think there's a bit more cross-pollination than most would like to accept.

Also, just because a record mentions "funk" doesn't mean it's what we'd define as funk. As previously mentioned funk was a slang term referring to the smell hanging around a room after, you know, doing it... And the word jazz was a slang term meaning, well, you know... doing it. So quite how jazz-funk is the unsexiest music ever made is a bit of a conundrum...

link

still more cross-pollination needed tho....but spot on my man :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert