Who Invented Funk?

Dayo

Don't know if this one is a chestnut, but does anyone have any thoughts on the origins of funk?

Are there any seminal recordings prior to the well known James Brown records? Can we put a date on the birth of funk? 1968? Earlier?

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Don't know if this one is a chestnut, but does anyone have any thoughts on the origins of funk? 

Are there any seminal recordings prior to the well known James Brown records?  Can we put a date on the birth of funk?  1968?  Earlier?

link

Where do you think you are "funk/source"or something,anyway i thought the germans invented it?!?!?! :huh: .Keepin`it soulfull..... :huh:

Social source share

Guest wrighty

Are there any seminal recordings prior to the well known James Brown records?  Can we put a date on the birth of funk?  1968?  Earlier?

link

a lot of people check james brown's 'papa's got a brand new bag' as one of those records associated with the birth of funk, it's certainly funky in an r+b sense, i would lean towards 'cold sweat' myself as a better indication of early funk, and certainly one of the best examples of playing 'on the one' i.e. accentuating the first beat of the bar :huh:

Social source share

remember reading in a BBE CD sleave notes about this. cant remember all it said but 'funk originaly comes from the meaning bad smell :huh:

Social source share

link

It depends on how you define funk and one could argue Horce Silver defined it on Blue Note records.

I would argue funk arrived at the Apollo theatre in 1967 when Jamed Brown recorded his second live album. He had a great horn session and Clyde Stubblefield on Drums. Earlier that year he had recorded Cold Sweat in the studio. Fred Wesley trombomne player had lifted the the riff from So What a typical Miles Davis tune of the time and made it into the esential funk riff. It' a great single and put the beat on the one. They took it out on the road and whn they recorded it for Live at The Apollo Volume 2.

It explodes on stage and every instrument including Brown's voice become part of the percussion.

Yes there were funky tunes from before this but with melody as well as rhythm (Sly Stone) but when released in 1968 this version of Cold Sweat showed who had invented funk.

Social source share

It depends on how you define funk and one could argue Horce Silver defined it on Blue Note records.

I would argue funk arrived at the Apollo theatre in 1967 when Jamed Brown recorded his second live album. He had a great horn session and Clyde Stubblefield on Drums. Earlier that year he had recorded Cold Sweat in the studio. Fred Wesley trombomne player had lifted the the riff from So What a typical Miles Davis tune of the time and made it into the esential funk riff. It' a great single and put the beat on the one. They took it out on the road and whn they recorded it for Live at The Apollo Volume 2.

It explodes on stage and every instrument including Brown's voice  become part of the percussion.

Yes there were funky tunes from before this but with melody as well as rhythm (Sly Stone) but when released in 1968 this version of Cold Sweat showed who had invented funk.

link

This was the first proper album I bought and it's still one of my faves. Always wondered what was meant by the expression "one the one"! Thanks

Social source share

whoever it was, if someone finds them for me i'll shoot them

link

"Bob-on"Dan,Bob-on can any-body tell me what "take it to the bridge"is about,Yep while were here!George Clinton,what happend there then???.

Social source share

a lot of people check james brown's 'papa's got a brand new bag' as one of those records associated with the birth of funk, it's certainly funky in an r+b sense, i would lean towards 'cold sweat' myself as a better indication of early funk, and certainly one of the best examples of playing 'on the one' i.e. accentuating the first beat of the bar  :huh:

link

Cold Sweat is the track James cites as starting the wagon rolling for him. Penned by Alfred Ellis.

Nathaniel Mayer with 'Love and Affection' surely had a hand in creating the early funk sound, but obviously didn't get anywhere near the exposure that Mr Brown had.

Social source share

Where do you think you are "funk/source"or something,anyway i thought the germans invented it?!?!?! :lol: .Keepin`it soulfull..... :huh:

link

Have a listen to THIS and tell me that funk can't be soulful :huh:

Cheers,

Christian B

Social source share

Have a listen to THIS and tell me that funk can't be soulful  :huh:

Cheers,

Christian B

link

It is a bit Ironic but I personally feel that James Brown's original is more soulful, and Lou Pride is a funkified cover of JB's tune. I like JB's voice BTW, very soulful when he wants to.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Cheers,

Christian B

link

I think LouPride's "Got To Be Somebody For Me" is more soulful, AND more funky.

Anyone on here who says they wish people who 'invented funk' should be shot should think about all the northern records that would never have been had it not been for all the poeple 'who should be shot'. :huh:

Social source share

It is a bit Ironic but I personally feel that James Brown's original is more soulful, and Lou Pride is a funkified cover of JB's tune. I like JB's voice BTW, very soulful when he wants to.

link

That might be true, but my point was: 'of course funk-music can be soulful'.

CB

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

That may be true, but my point was: 'of course funk-music can be soulful'.

CB

link

And of course soul music can be funky. :huh:

Social source share

Anyone on here who says they wish people who 'invented funk' should be shot should think about all the northern records that would never have been had it not been for all the poeple 'who should be shot'. :huh:

link

There's a good chance they don't like those particular northern records though. There is an abyss between say Bonnie Herman & Lynne Randall and Rufus Wood & Benny Harper...

Social source share

Cheers,

Christian B

link

Hi Christian,think funk is just a feeling and the was no one "inventer" ie;i got some belters myself,try Sexy Sexy Sexy;J Brown;Polydor,more than just 3word,strung along in one endless Loop!,Mr Brown at his Funky-soul-arsed best,and the dance floor wouldnt complain either,or the likes of Calvin Arnold,Funky but Soulfull at the same time,now thats Genious!!!.

:huh:

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

That might  be true, but my point was: 'of course funk-music can be soulful'.

CB

link

I agree, of course, that funk can be soulful and vice versa. :huh:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I've always been a little confused by the 'on the one' definition that you hear the likes of James Brown and Bootsy Collins go on about. For example Mickey and The Soul Generation "How Good Is Good" (click here to listen) is one of the best funk records ever made, but there is no 'on the one' action going on. If you ask me it could be a pounding 'northern soul style' stomper. :huh:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

This is what confuses me, you say it's one of the best funk instrumentals ever made but it just sounds like a filler b side with no tune or direction.

I do like funky type northern sounds, much more than 'modern' northern; Lou Edwards, Nate Evans, Willie J, High Voltage etc.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

This is what confuses me, you say it's one of the best funk instrumentals ever made but it just sounds like a filler b side with no tune or direction.

link

As I said, it could be 'northern soul style' instrumental. :huh:

Social source share

link

ah but i'm only saying they should be shot now james

unless you utilised some sort of tardis-like device and travelled back in time to shoot them in the early 60s, before they were about to invent funk, you wouldn't wipe out all their good records, would you?

as jim bowen would say, they're safe.

as a for-instance, ideally you would get to george clinton AFTER the parliaments but BEFORE he went shite.

see where i'm going with this?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

ah but i'm only saying they should be shot now james

unless you utilised some sort of tardis-like device and travelled back in time to shoot them in the early 60s, before they were about to invent funk, you wouldn't wipe out all their good records, would you?

as jim bowen would say, they're safe.

as a for-instance, ideally you would get to george clinton AFTER the parliaments but BEFORE he went shite.

see where i'm going with this?

link

Who's talking about going back in time? I just think you should think about all the records you dance to that would never have been had it not been for all the people who you think should be shot. :huh:

Social source share

Guest remus

link

The Crow-Your Autumn of tomorrow,..........best Funk record ever! :huh:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The Crow-Your Autumn of tomorrow,..........best Funk record ever! :huh:

link

The Crow sits very well next to "How Good Is Good". :huh:

Social source share

Who's talking about going back in time? I just think you should think about all the records you dance to that would never have been had it not been for all the people who you think should be shot. :huh:

link

ah i see it's a sentimental non-shooting argument is it?

i thought we were talking logical non-shooting.

hmmm. tough one.

ok, had a think, still think they should be shot.

(ps am only joking you know, i don't really).

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

ah i see it's a sentimental non-shooting argument is it?

i thought we were talking logical non-shooting.

hmmm. tough one.

ok, had a think, still think they should be shot.

(ps am only joking you know, i don't really).

link

Logically you can't go back in time Dan, that's impossible. Are you on drugs? :huh:

Social source share

Why am I not surpised that this turned into a "how soulful is funk thread"! :lol:

link

Still better & more peaceful than 'originals vs. reissues' threads... or 'Ian Levine/Russ W' threads... or 'black vs. white soul' threads.. .etc.etc. :huh::huh:

CB

Social source share

Logically you can't go back in time Dan, that's impossible. Are you on drugs? :huh:

link

i only posited the possibility of using a tardis-like device as providing a means to eliminate the funkers before they became funkers.

this would have the 'double whammy' effect of punishing them for creating funk while simultaneously preventing them from creating it.

i concede that there is a slight logical inconsistency here - one which often rears its head in discussions of theoretical and quantum physics and time travel (often called 'the grandfather effect').

imagine a 'one that got away' situation: you meet, say, george clinton in about 1967.

you patiently explain that you've come from the future to eliminate him before he goes bongo-mad.

he looks at you quizzically and you explain that he's about to get heavily into funk.

what's funk? he asks.

foolishly, you tell him.

then, as you are about to deliver the coup de grace, your gun jams.

george takes a header out of the window, survives and legs it to a nearby studio where he puts into practice everything you've just told him.

now that would be a self-defeating bummer, wouldn't it.

Social source share

i only posited the possibility of using a tardis-like device as providing a means to eliminate the funkers before they became funkers.

this would have the 'double whammy' effect of punishing them for creating funk while simultaneously preventing them from creating it.

i concede that there is a slight logical inconsistency here - one which often rears its head in discussions of theoretical and quantum physics and time travel (often called 'the grandfather effect').

imagine a 'one that got away' situation: you meet, say, george clinton in about 1967.

you patiently explain that you've come from the future to eliminate him before he goes bongo-mad.

he looks at you quizzically and you explain that he's about to get heavily into funk.

what's funk? he asks.

foolishly, you tell him.

then, as you are about to deliver the coup de grace, your gun jams.

george takes a header out of the window, survives and legs it to a nearby studio where he puts into practice everything you've just told him.

now that would be a self-defeating bummer, wouldn't it.

link

Thats an old episode of 'Quantum Leap'. :huh:

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Shane, don't get worked up. Its George, not Bill.  :huh:

link

:lol:

Bill Clinton had soul cos he played the sax :huh:

Shane

ps. i got told off for in-jokes not long ago :lol:

Social source share

Guest hammy

The origins of funk are with james brown.

The term may have been used in reference to other forms of music prior to this. Frank mentions Horace Silver - but I have to question the criteria for inclusion.

When the jazz writers Nat Hentoff and Leonard Feather waxed lyrical in their delightful sleeve notes and referred to a 'funky blues' - it's clearly a different musical form. Horace Silver, Lee Morgan, Art Blakey, Jackie McLean are all 'hard bop' protagonists of the first rank. This music was a reaction to the frenetic indulgence of bee bop and a tacit call for a return to the 'roots' of the sound - in this context funk means 'badness' or just plain 'digging deep'. The music wasn't overtly political and was played to mixed audiences. I'd even go so far as to say that jazz didn't get political until the arrival of Archie Shepp, Albert Ayler etc in the mid 60s.

David Rosenthal's excellent book 'Hard Bop' puts it all better than I ever could.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Logically you can't go back in time Dan, that's impossible.

link

what about mr benn then?

anyway, back on thread: i say that it was bootsy's bass lines that refined this branch of blues-music into a contemporary genre

Social source share

Guest musicden786

link

Great question to ask, The Origins of Funk.

Just in case its of any help. There was a tune played before the Wheel and at the Wheel which may fit what your looking for. It first came into the Country as a Radio DJ Copy in the early 1960s and was latter released as a B side around 1966.

The details are- Gene Dozier and The Brotherhood-Title-A Hunk Of Funk-Instrumental.

You can find the track on MINIT No 32026.

Be interesting to have your veiws if you get a chance to hear the track.

Best regards.

Social source share

Guest Rowly

whoever it was, if someone finds them for me i'll shoot them

link

WHAT??

You'd shoot the Funk Brothers??? :thumbsup:

FUNK ROCKS, Maaaan! :yes:

Social source share

Great question to ask, The Origins of Funk.

Just in case its of any help. There was a tune played before the Wheel and at the Wheel which may fit what your looking for. It first came into the Country as a Radio DJ Copy in the early 1960s and was latter released as a B side around 1966. 

The details are- Gene Dozier and The Brotherhood-Title-A Hunk Of Funk-Instrumental.

You can find the track on MINIT No 32026. 

Be interesting to have your veiws if you get a chance to hear the track.

Best regards.

link

Prefer other side,I wanna testify;with pinkie guesting on vocal! :thumbsup: ,anyway have not seen this in my box for ages,funny how you find out somethings gone,till its gone,allways been in my box!,last played Snugg!!

:yes:

Social source share

It first came into the Country as a Radio DJ Copy in the early 1960s and was latter released as a B side around 1966.

He didn't sign to Minit till 1966 so how come a radio copy came in in the early sixties? Anyone have soul underground issue 8 with the Gene Dozier story?

Hammy,

Hoarce Silver wrote and recorded maybe the first song with the word "funk" in its title in 1954. He certainly released the first album with "funk" in its title. As someone else mentioned funk is a description of a smell, an odour, an atmosphere. Horace defined it as a musical term. Not the funk we know and love so much these days but more like the funk the Hibs laundress has to wash out the shorts after her team plays Rangers.

Social source share

Hoarce Silver wrote and recorded maybe the first song with the word "funk" in its title in 1954. He certainly released the first album with "funk" in its title.

link

Donald Byrd said that in the late '50s, "funk" was considered a "bad word." Honestly, I don't know if he meant it literally. However, Byrd considered that he and his counterparts were doing "funk music" aka funky jazz music. Point being, before we can define the birth of the funk genre, we have to look at funk as an adjective: funky. Horace Silver was funky. John Lee Hooker was funky. Donald Byrd was funky. Herbie Hancock was funky ("Watermelon Man" was from 1962). So funky music existed before J.B., but the (near) instrumental, hard J.B.-like genre evolved from that idea of what made music funky, taking just that, stripping the rest away.

Social source share

Guest musicden786

He didn't sign to Minit till 1966 so how come a radio copy came in in the early sixties? Anyone have soul underground issue 8 with the Gene Dozier story?

Hammy,

Hoarce Silver wrote and recorded maybe the first song with the word "funk" in its title in 1954. He certainly released the first album with "funk" in its title. As someone else mentioned funk is a description of a smell, an odour, an atmosphere.  Horace defined it as a musical term. Not the funk we know and  love so much these days but more like the funk the Hibs laundress has to wash out the shorts after her team plays Rangers.

link

Just trying to be helpfull.

Dont want to sound over the top but have to give you a reply.

Lots of things took place in the late fiftites early sixties which are not in books yet.

Lots of articles reporting this period are also way off the mark.

Early soul dance music entering this Country, was passed around hand to hand in true underground tradition. One Radio Jock helped many of us to spread the word and make contact with one anoughter in those days.

Consequently, he became a contact point for Black Artists and received one offs

for air play.

The A side of MINIT 32026 is ONE FOR BESS.

Im not an historian, just an old soul dancer trying to be helpfull and make a contribution.

Hope this fits your question and keeps everything friendly.

Best regards, Denis. DOB 30/10/1941.

Social source share

Guest hammy

Hammy,

Hoarce Silver wrote and recorded maybe the first song with the word "funk" in its title in 1954. He certainly released the first album with "funk" in its title. As someone else mentioned funk is a description of a smell, an odour, an atmosphere.  Horace defined it as a musical term. Not the funk we know and  love so much these days but more like the funk the Hibs laundress has to wash out the shorts after her team plays Rangers.

link

I disagree. What Horace Silver defined in terms of funk is not a form of music. It was merely a description of one aspect of the hard bop sound. A sound more gritty, spirtual and raw than bee bop's increasingly cliches 'running the changes'.

Putting the word 'funk' in the album title doesn't signify it's a form of music. You're taking a word out of the context of those times, attaching unmerited significance to it, and then - for reasons unknown - linking it to the glorious Hibees battle against the dark forces of the west.

Under the bigoted yolk of the Old Firm, I see parallels with the young Hibees and the jazz expression of the struggle for emancipation and a better world.

Your macaroon bar is in the post.

Hammy

Social source share

Just trying to be helpfull.

Dont want to sound over the top but have to give you a reply.

Lots of things took place in the late fiftites early sixties which are not in books yet.

Lots of articles reporting this period are also way off the mark.

Early soul dance music entering this Country, was passed around hand to hand in true underground tradition. One Radio Jock helped many of us to spread the word and make contact with one anoughter in those days.

Consequently, he became a contact point for Black Artists and received one offs

for air play.

The A side of MINIT 32026 is ONE FOR BESS.

Im not an historian, just an old soul dancer trying to be helpfull and make a contribution.

Hope this fits your question and keeps everything friendly.

Best regards, Denis. DOB 30/10/1941.

link

Just curious about the radio jock you mention. An offshore pirate DJ maybe?

I was trying to think who was brave enough to champion Soul music on the air in the early 60's. Mike Raven was an obvious one, but not one of the personality jocks. Emporer Rosko certainly did his bit for Stax/Atlantic. And didn't Johnnie Walker have a soft spot for Motown? Tony Blackburn's penchant for soul is well known but it's hard to consider him a music lovin' DJ.

Maybe this is one for another thread?

Social source share

Just curious about the radio jock you mention.  An offshore pirate DJ maybe?

Maybe this is one for another thread?

link

Radio Caroline went on air in August 1964 So possibly Tony Prince? That would be at least a year before Gene Dozier signed to Minit.

dozier_hunk.jpg

Edited by FrankM
Social source share

Radio Caroline went on air in August 1964 So possibly Tony Prince? That would be at least a year before Gene Dozier signed to Minit.

dozier_hunk.jpg

link

Got mine on Liberty,German;picture sleeve :P ,with Clydie King;my mistakes of yesterday,on the B side,Liberty 15030.

Can some-one tell me why mine says,soul-power,a hunk of funk,and when this was released,says gene dozier and the brotherhood on record,oh!i can see now there must have a soul-power series,if so what other releases are on this series :yes:

:P

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Just want to say thanks to everyone who has taken time to share their knowledge on this thread. You guys rock.  Or funk.  Whatever!

Colin

link

The Americans have the right idea about funk, its called a douche bag :yes::P:P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert