• Replies 36
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bicks

The Contours.

Not the best known or most prolific but absolute raw quality.

You can't top Hit and Run or Misunderstanding.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I know they don't rank with the REAL greats but I've got a soft spot for the Marvelettes.

Helped by Gladys Horton's unbelievably cute smile - and this old clip which I have watched about 100 times and just can't get enough of.

Especially love it from 3.50 on when they start to really "rip it up".

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Guest kevnewry

AS`WE ALL KNOW FUNK BROTHERS CUT THE GROOVES BUT BEST GROUP....... TEMPTATIONS FOLLOWED BY GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS BEFORE THEY DID A RUNNER tongue.gif ........ ALSO THE ORIGINALS DID SOME FANTASTIC STUFF :(

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

For me Isley Brothers

Diana Ross and the supremes and yes i do have to have pretty much all there stuff since i love them and

The Four Tops for top 3 after all Levi Stubbs had one of the greatest voice in the history of music and not just soul. how anyone who can say not is beyond me

Social source share

Guest Dante

Can't believe this is a serious question.

Best Motown band or group??

Band is no contest and don't think it will be disputed,

Funk Bros - simple as.

End of thread.

Wow! Take a chill pill :( haha ok, we're talking about best group.

Definitely, and without a doubt, The Temptations, followed by The Countours, Vandellas & Marvellettes...

Social source share

the best band would have to be the Funk Brothers :thumbup:

The best group however has to be the Tempts :D

got to agree with this one 100% no contest papa was top. my girl electric loved all the motown bands but out on there own were the funk brothers and the temptations :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest posstot

I think the Four Tops were the best group by Far. Four members from 50 something, 58? And still the same four members until death did them Part. Levi, was by far, For me, thee best-most powerful and Soulful lead singer of any group.. And, perhaps, to his own depriment stayed loyal to his friends in the group by turning down a solo career and the idea of Levi and the tops......Loyalty personified. Yes the Temptations were truly magnificent, yet they had a few more than 5 members over the years.

Then besides Motown, who was the best group/band Manhattans, Dells, Sapphires, Impressions????????? :rolleyes::lol:g.gif:lol:

Social source share

What about Debarge and Boys2men????? :thumbup:

I'll have a pint of what you've been drinking!

Haha yeah, me too! I won't even compare them with Four Tops :wicked:

Social source share

I think the Four Tops were the best group by Far. Four members from 50 something, 58? And still the same four members until death did them Part. Levi, was by far, For me, thee best-most powerful and Soulful lead singer of any group.. And, perhaps, to his own depriment stayed loyal to his friends in the group by turning down a solo career and the idea of Levi and the tops......Loyalty personified. Yes the Temptations were truly magnificent, yet they had a few more than 5 members over the years.

Then besides Motown, who was the best group/band Manhattans, Dells, Sapphires, Impressions????????? :D:D:no:g.gif

totaly agree, no contest, saw them twice in the 80's and they were AWESOME! ohmy.gif

Social source share

It really is a personal thing so...........................

Originals

No doubting others output Tops Tempts etc etc but as I said for personal reasons The Originals :P

BTW lets not forget Choker Campbell in this motown mix ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

What's wrong with saying Boyz II Men they had the biggest hits for Motown i in the US hot 100.

Social source share

Guest HindleyPhil

1. Funk brothers

2. Memphis Horns

3. Four Tops

4. Temptations

5. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

6. Isley Brothers

7. Detroit Emeralds

8. Contours

9. Marvelletes

10. Jimmy James & The Vagabonds or Drifters

Greatest Soul artist of all time :- the one and only Marvyn Gaye ( rest in peace sir)

Edited by HindleyPhil
Social source share

Guest Krissii

funk brothers / earl van dyke n the motown brass lol

im not gonna say temptations because i only like 4 of the total TOTAL line up...

david ruffin (obviously)/melvyn/otis/dennis... (no one of them isnt eddie lol ill never justify keep on truckin!)

my "group" of choice would probably be either the velvellettes or the contours or as someone else says, the isleys JUST in the 60s!

although im going to go for THE MONITORS because no one else has yet... cryin in the night is a serious tune...

:lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert