John Manship Auction

Tonights end prices....

Orthea Barnes (?) - Never Ever Leave Me - Sheldon Acetate - £1524

The Intrigues - In A Moment - UK London demo - £43

Patrice Holloway - Love And Desire b/w Ecstasy - UK Capitol demo - £213

The Imperial C's - Someone Tell Her - Phil L.A. of Soul - £1776

George Smallwood - Touching Is My Thing - Smallwood - £686

Jean Dushon - Second Class Lover - Okeh promo - £261

Thompson Brothers - You Bought Love Into My Life b/w I Saw The Light - WMOT - £308

The Limitations - I'm Lonely, I'm Troubled b/w My Baby - Bacone - £223

Charles Burns - I Love My Baby b/w I Am A Fool In Love - Gene - £486

Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved b/w Do You Believe It - Scepter - £220

Katie Briggs - Last Time Around - Mos-Ray - £582

Carlena Williams - (When I'm) Touching You - Broadcast PS - £118

Keni Lewis - What's Her Name - Buddah promo - £329

Carl & Gerald And The Sonics - Lift Me b/w Do It With Soul - Copyright promo - £126

The King Sound Interpreters - Hi Note - Talent Of Music - £569

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Tonights end prices....

wow...is this not the very same tune that Pete S was selling along other unrel. tunes last here on ss ? If so, its not a one off and about a handful of copies around ? if so yes then this surely is a quite dear price ?

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Tonights end prices....

The Intrigues - In A Moment - UK London demo - £43

Patrice Holloway - Love And Desire b/w Ecstasy - UK Capitol demo - £213

The Imperial C's - Someone Tell Her - Phil L.A. of Soul - £1776

George Smallwood - Touching Is My Thing - Smallwood - £686

Jean Dushon - Second Class Lover - Okeh promo - £261

Thompson Brothers - You Bought Love Into My Life b/w I Saw The Light - WMOT - £308

The Limitations - I'm Lonely, I'm Troubled b/w My Baby - Bacone - £223

Charles Burns - I Love My Baby b/w I Am A Fool In Love - Gene - £486

Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved b/w Do You Believe It - Scepter - £220

Katie Briggs - Last Time Around - Mos-Ray - £582

Carlena Williams - (When I'm) Touching You - Broadcast PS - £118

Keni Lewis - What's Her Name - Buddah promo - £329

Carl & Gerald And The Sonics - Lift Me b/w Do It With Soul - Copyright promo - £126

The King Sound Interpreters - Hi Note - Talent Of Music - £569

Bloody hell i was going to sell my Orthea Barnes for £500 what i paid Pete S for it

Social source share

Bloody hell i was going to sell my Orthea Barnes for £500 what i paid Pete S for it

Well, so you outbid me then back in the day (I was short under 500 UKP) LOL ! Yes, I was thinking it might go for a bitmore seeing that its on JM´s but three times the price...and its not even a one-or two off...WOW.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Well, so you outbid me then back in the day (I was short under 500 UKP) LOL ! Yes, I was thinking it might go for a bitmore seeing that its on JM´s but three times the price...and its not even a one-or two off...WOW.

Marc

are there others mine came originally from the same source as mannys

Social source share

are there others mine came originally from the same source as mannys

there were about three or four (?) before doing the rounds. Didn´t know Pete had more then one -he could have let me h :thumbsup: ve one then ;-)!- but however, I understand they had not the same source as the first bunch.

Marc

Social source share

there were about three or four (?) before doing the rounds. Didn´t know Pete had more then one -he could have let me h :thumbsup: ve one then ;-)!- but however, I understand they had not the same source as the first bunch.

Marc

Mine was Mick Smiths he got it of the seller who sold on Manships

Social source share

Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved b/w Do You Believe It - Scepter - £220 - piss poor price or bargain depending on outlook :thumbsup:

The Limitations - I'm Lonely, I'm Troubled b/w My Baby - Bacone - £223 - how does this rate to the norm please? Think I have one - a Stafford cheapie?

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved b/w Do You Believe It - Scepter - £220 - piss poor price or bargain depending on outlook :thumbsup:

The Limitations - I'm Lonely, I'm Troubled b/w My Baby - Bacone - £223 - how does this rate to the norm please? Think I have one - a Stafford cheapie?

Cheers

Richard

seen it for150

Social source share

:) AS ALWAYS TED NICE ONE. NOT AS GOOD AS THE DEAL YOU GOT FROM MYSELF YEARS AGO FOR £6.00, HOWEVER I WAS STONED AT THE TIME AND THOUGHT I WAS SELLING WILLIE PARKER!! :thumbsup: FROM ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

boxing.gif AS ALWAYS TED NICE ONE. NOT AS GOOD AS THE DEAL YOU GOT FROM MYSELF YEARS AGO FOR £6.00, HOWEVER I WAS STONED AT THE TIME AND THOUGHT I WAS SELLING WILLIE PARKER!! :) FROM ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Ringleaders wasnt it Johnny Beggs had the vapours over that he had just been talking about it before you arrived and i got to the box first :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved b/w Do You Believe It - Scepter - £220 - piss poor price or bargain depending on outlook :rolleyes:

Cheers

Richard

What happens Richard is, though the Jack Montgomery is a fantastic record, it's been hammered to death for donkeys years, and there's one on ebay every week. Therefore anyone who wanted a copy, surely will have got one by now.

On the other hand, the Limitations was as you say a Stafford cheapie. But many people were off the scene then [myself included] so as this has been reactivated recently at the more discerning allnighters, it's become a must have newie to a lot of returnees [again myself included] it's just that everyone's a DJ, and we all want to play something different. laugh.gif [i include myself again].

Plus there's more buyers for 45's up to £500 than there are for £1k+ items, so competition is fiercer.

Phil.

Edited by quinvy
Social source share

there were about three or four (?) before doing the rounds. Didn´t know Pete had more then one -he could have let me h :rolleyes: ve one then ;-)!- but however, I understand they had not the same source as the first bunch.

Marc

I only had that one Marc, it was, as Ted said, Mick Smith's

Social source share

What happens Richard is, though the Jack Montgomery is a fantastic record, it's been hammered to death for donkeys years, and there's one on ebay every week. Therefore anyone who wanted a copy, surely will have got one by now.

On the other hand, the Limitations was as you say a Stafford cheapie. But many people were off the scene then [myself included] so as this has been reactivated recently at the more discerning allnighters, it's become a must have newie to a lot of returnees [again myself included] it's just that everyone's a DJ, and we all want to play something different. laugh.gif [i include myself again].

Plus there's more buyers for 45's up to £500 than there are for £1k+ items, so competition is fiercer.

Phil.

Limitations was a tenner in the early 80s. If I recall, it was mainly Tim Ashibende knocking them out back then. Dave Flynn reactivated this at Capitol Soul Club, the Dome a few years back. Great record, though maybe a bit fast for some these days. :thumbsup: Good for you for getting behind it.

Social source share

there were about three or four (?) before doing the rounds. Didn´t know Pete had more then one -he could have let me h angry.gif ve one then ;-)!- but however, I understand they had not the same source as the first bunch.

Where did Mick get his (to Pete, to Ted) copy from...AdyC or JohnA...anyone know?

The acetates that both Tony Smith and myself own came from AdyC, and are a differnt mix to the Sheldon labelled copy(s)...no clip-clop-clapping leading to an overall more polished and smoother feel to it, inna Andrea Henry stylee, if you know what I mean?! On comparison I like both versions, but the smoother one is superior...imo.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

THE KENI LEWIS WENT FOR A HIGH PRICE AS WELL DIDNT IT, OR IS THAT THE RIGHT PRICE FOR TODAY ohmy.gif

DAVE

Considering there were two on here last week for a bit less ,think your right Dave.

That said, i think it's only really starting to get full recognition,even though it's far from a new play.

Strangely the cheaper one on del val has picked up in price over the last yr or so too :thumbsup:

Great xover ,both of em so hardly surprising eh :lol:

Social source share

Where did Mick get his (to Pete, to Ted) copy from...AdyC or JohnA...anyone know?

The acetates that both Tony Smith and myself own came from AdyC, and are a differnt mix to the Sheldon labelled copy(s)...no clip-clop-clapping leading to an overall more polished and smoother feel to it, inna Andrea Henry stylee, if you know what I mean?! On comparison I like both versions, but the smoother one is superior...imo.

:thumbup:

Are you sure Tony had this from me, I didn't think I had that many! Same goes for the Pete S/Mick S copy I thought I'd only had two!

Social source share

Are you sure Tony had this from me, I didn't think I had that many! Same goes for the Pete S/Mick S copy I thought I'd only had two!

Now I am not so sure!

I honestly thought Tony had a copy...or was it just a tape...paging Mr.Smith!

Didn't one of the Sheldon labelled copies have an artist name on it, not Orthea Barnes?

:thumbup:

Social source share

I got some old cassette tapes off Cliff Camfield a couple of months ago, and this tune was on one of them. Must have been about for quite some time. I think Cliff was playing it out in Scotland, early nineties???? I'm sure he said it was the Moniques? Don't know what label his acetate was on. I'll ask him tomorrow.

Phil.

Social source share

:D

come on Flynny post a sound file :thumbup:

Social source share

wouldn't mind a charles burns myself if anybody has one available drop me a PM.

Who played that beauty first and under which disguising name by the way ?

The copy I am playing since last year (and loving big style!!) still shows the old C/UP marks...

Marc

NB

think JM auction result for this was quite cheap by the way ph34r.gif

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

The copy I am playing since last year (and loving big style!!) still shows the old C/UP marks...

Marc

NB

remember saus playing it about fifteen years ago as rocky roberts, but somebody probably played it b4 then.

bri pinch.

Social source share

Marc

NB

I got mine from Butch back in the 80's, one night Rob Marriott was round playing me some new stuff including CB, it then became Rocky Roberts and was played as that by Rob, myself & Saus when he got hold of it, incidently I traded it back to Butch a couple of years ago, maybe the one you have is my old copy?

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

I got mine from Butch back in the 80's, one night Rob Marriott was round playing me some new stuff including CB, it then became Rocky Roberts and was played as that by Rob, myself & Saus when he got hold of it, incidently I traded it back to Butch a couple of years ago, maybe the one you have is my old copy?

Coul very very well be the case Tony ph34r.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert