Mancha Or Davis Best Version?

Just having a bit of a tidy up with the records and putting a couple of boxes together for a BBQ we are attending this weekend and playing a few as you do I pulled out both Steve Mancha - 'You're Still In My Heart' - Groovesville 1001 and the Melvin Davis version 'Still In My Heart' Groovesville 1003 the flip to the awesome 'I Must Love You' big difference in the price of these two but both awesome versions, Steve Mancha is a genius in my book and just has the edge but nothing much between them, stunning mid tempo Detroit of the highest order, would be interested to know what other people think here.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 12
  • Views 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Both versions great Mark.

I'd like the Melvin Davis copy for I Must Love You as well but every copy I''ve seen for sale in the last couple of years have been battered with the-'still plays fine though' comment.

I remember asking Tony Smith to play it at the Ritz (prob the same night I didn't ask you to play the record you never had). He was slightly worse for wear as the train signals had been on the blink and it'd taken him 7 hours to get from London to Manchester via every station bar on the route I guess. Dave Malloy had to cue the records for him. Anyway I asked for IMLY and he put SIMH on instead. Afterwards he said "Good job it's a bloody good double sider Kev" Lol

Kev

Social source share

Just having a bit of a tidy up with the records and putting a couple of boxes together for a BBQ we are attending this weekend and playing a few as you do I pulled out both Steve Mancha - 'You're Still In My Heart' - Groovesville 1001 and the Melvin Davis version 'Still In My Heart' Groovesville 1003 the flip to the awesome 'I Must Love You' big difference in the price of these two but both awesome versions, Steve Mancha is a genius in my book and just has the edge but nothing much between them, stunning mid tempo Detroit of the highest order, would be interested to know what other people think here.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark, its a tough one, very tough, in fact its a photo finish with Melvin just getting there first, now to complicate matters, what do people think of the unissued David Ruffin version in comparison, anyone not heard it, well its all your imagination can muster and more, that same essential Detroit backing with Ruffin taking no prisoners, a gem, anyone else have an opinion ?

Kev

Social source share

Listened to the Steve Mancha one on refosoul, but alas there are no versions by Melvin Davis or David Ruffin :) . So at the moment I have to go with Steve Mancha :lol: .

the David Ruffin version is up there, twice. although both have the title misspelt ("your still...")

Social source share

hi mark

every thing ok

bbq good sorry if i drunk all your beers drinks on me when i come home

great to listen to a few quality tunes

but its got to be melvin davis for me

sid

Glad you got home ok, pleasure mate it was fantastic to see you both, Jacqui says sorry for hitting the sack without saying good night, don't worry about the beers mate you can get them in when we come over...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert