Lullaby N/soul

As Simon(Imberboy) was on about on Events look backs,the last few nighters that ive attended about 3-4,ish the Djs start putting lullaby music on that kills the floor and its not even as fast as mid tempo music,I like my soul music from R&B to up to date soul, but it has to be DANCE MUSIC, :lol:

I think some Djs get a little bit carried away. :D

Any thoughts.

Regards,Kev :P

Edited by good angel
Social source share

• Replies 47
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As Simon(Imberboy) was on about on Events look backs,the last few nighters that ive attended about 3-4,ish the Djs start putting lullaby music on that kills the floor,I like my soul music from R&B to up to date soul, but it has to be DANCE MUSIC, :lol:

Any thoughts.

What do you mean by lullaby music? examples please, do you mean more down tempo soul records.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

As Simon(Imberboy) was on about on Events look backs,the last few nighters that ive attended about 3-4,ish the Djs start putting lullaby music on that kills the floor,I like my soul music from R&B to up to date soul, but it has to be DANCE MUSIC, :lol:

Any thoughts.

By DANCE MUSIC do you mean stompers?

Social source share

What do you mean by lullaby music? examples please, do you mean more down tempo soul records.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It is what a good soul abiding father and mother plays to their child in the cot :lol: .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

No not stompers but dance music,like ive said in my post I like my soul from R&B to present day,its not even mid tempo that some play.

Regards,Kev.

Don't think I ever hear the tempo drop below mid-tempo at any nighters I've been to?

Take it you mean Ballad type stuff then?

Intrigued.....any examples of such tunes as Mark suggested?

Social source share

Any chance you could give examples of the tunes you are talking about please?

I have always been confused as to what mid tempo and below mid tempo is.

I'd like to think E. Williams 'Trade my soul' would be classed as a prime example of a perfect midtempo dancer.

Would I be far off the mark with this?

If so, then midtempo surely has it's place at allnighters, but I can't think of any DJs playing stuff slower than midtempo.

Perhaps examples of DJs and Venues might help us pin down this style of Lullaby Northern.....?

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Any chance you could give examples of the tunes you are talking about please?

I have always been confused as to what mid tempo and below mid tempo is.

Joan,

I will be putting myself up to be shot at,they are all good soul tunes but in my view not dance tunes,but lets go :P

Lonely Girl. Annabell Fox.

Ocean Of Love. Nancy Wilson.

The Thrill Of loving you. Jimmy Radcliffe.

No Rest For the worried. Clarence Williams.

Call me. Emmitt Long.

Soul searcher. Eddy Hughes.

Iam sorry if some of these tunes are some folks favs,but it only my opinion :D

Kev :lol:

Social source share

Joan,

I will be putting myself up to be shot at,they are all good soul tunes but in my view not dance tunes,but lets go :P

Call me. Emmitt Long.

First of all, 10/10 for bravery :(

That said, I am still confused as to what you mean by 'not dance tunes'.

Surely, by 'not dance tunes' you mean tunes that you cannot dance to as opposed to tunes that you choose not to dance to.

I can't speak for the other tunes on your list but I can most certainly dance to Emmitt Long.

Social source share

Joan,

Call me. Emmitt Long.

'Bang, Bang' lol

It is a matter of opiniun, I love it if a DJ plays beautiful midtempo at 4.00 am, just love it!

Len.

Social source share

'Bang, Bang' lol

It is a matter of opiniun, I love it if a DJ plays beautiful midtempo at 4.00 am, just love it!

Len.

It doesn't bother me what time they get played.

But if they were played one after the other, before or after the 4am watershed, I would be longing for a hot bath and a sharp knife :P

I have plenty of mid tempo tunes in my collection but I wouldn't dream of playing them out at a venue. Apart from maybe at the end of my spot.

There is no getting away from the fact that uptempo tunes do generate more of an atmosphere at a venue than down tempo ones.

Shall I go and stand next to Kev in front of the firing squad? :lol:

Social source share

It doesn't bother me what time they get played.

But if they were played one after the other, before or after the 4am watershed, I would be longing for a hot bath and a sharp knife :P

I have plenty of mid tempo tunes in my collection but I wouldn't dream of playing them out at a venue. Apart from maybe at the end of my spot.

There is no getting away from the fact that uptempo tunes do generate more of an atmosphere at a venue than down tempo ones.

Shall I go and stand next to Kev in front of the firing squad? :lol:

I'm afraid so Joan :D

Mike you need a new moderator sorry about that.

Seriously though, I do except all-nighter wise defo has to keep the pace up, but say 4 in a row midtempo's to break it up is great.

Len.

Note to self - Stop shooting people just because they have different music tastes to me!

Social source share

but say 4 in a row midtempo's to break it up is great.

One or two is fine.

As the third is played people are looking at each other.

They are saying their goodbyes and are............ out the door by number four.

Doh! - That's we're I've been going wrong all these years! :lol:

Len.

Social source share

No not stompers but dance music,like ive said in my post I like my soul from R&B to present day,its not even mid tempo that some play.

Regards,Kev.

come on Kev name names and records :lol:

sorry i read these posts same as i read news papers back to front :lol:

Edited by Tedsoul
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

but say 4 in a row midtempo's to break it up is great.

One or two is fine.

As the third is played people are looking at each other.

They are saying their goodbyes and are............ out the door by number four.

spot on mate how many times have we stood somewhere and said what the feck is this dj playing at.From 4 onwards the tempo must be UP!! not cause it's what l like ,but because a lot of folk can start to get a bit jaded.I,ve stood there earlier than 4 while a dj has let the dance floor evaporate away...his reasoning always being "they're quality soul records".Half the time it's because the dj ain't got the right VIBE.Uptempo don't mean BIG OLDIES one after another either.The last burnley was a great example,night was a bit flat earlier (for no real reason)Andy Dyson came on at 4 and set the place alight with fookin dance music and then Hoss and phil....big dance foor action all the way.Makes me mad cause this subject is aired all the time and promoters TAKE NO BLOODY NOTICE ..."play what they want" music policy is ok...just put the dj's with some fire and passion on LATER.It's not about music genre just TEMPO AT THE RIGHT TIME OF NIGHT.Before 4 you can just about play anything and it's usually spot on...atb tezza

Social source share

spot on mate how many times have we stood somewhere and said what the feck is this dj playing at.From 4 onwards the tempo must be UP!! not cause it's what l like ,but because a lot of folk can start to get a bit jaded.I,ve stood there earlier than 4 while a dj has let the dance floor evaporate away...his reasoning always being "they're quality soul records".Half the time it's because the dj ain't got the right VIBE.Uptempo don't mean BIG OLDIES one after another either.The last burnley was a great example,night was a bit flat earlier (for no real reason)Andy Dyson came on at 4 and set the place alight with fookin dance music and then Hoss and phil....big dance foor action all the way.Makes me mad cause this subject is aired all the time and promoters TAKE NO BLOODY NOTICE ..."play what they want" music policy is ok...just put the dj's with some fire and passion on LATER.It's not about music genre just TEMPO AT THE RIGHT TIME OF NIGHT.Before 4 you can just about play anything and it's usually spot on...atb tezza

Spot on Mate,

Its nice to know Iam not the only one that thinks this,Djs watch the dancers faces grimace as they walk off the dance floor.

Social source share

Phew :lol:

Ive been out all day I thought you lot would have had me shot,horse whipped,hung drawn and quarterd by now. biggrin.gif

Jacqui horse whips me every Saturday night normally to tunes like George Freeman, Kenny Sheppard, George Smith, Freddie Houston, Jimmy Gilford, Willie Wade, Inverts etc. etc. bliss....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Jacqui horse whips me every Saturday night normally to tunes like George Freeman, Kenny Sheppard, George Smith, Freddie Houston, Jimmy Gilford, Willie Wade, Inverts etc. etc. bliss....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark,

Now I love Freddie Houston,it give me goose bumps,every time I hear it.

Regards,Kev :lol:

Social source share

promoters TAKE NO BLOODY NOTICE ..."play what they want" music policy is ok...just put the dj's with some fire and passion on LATER.It's not about music genre just TEMPO AT THE RIGHT TIME OF NIGHT.Before 4 you can just about play anything and it's usually spot on...atb tezza

I might be getting paranoid, but is this a dig at my comments on this subject on the Bidds feedback thread Terry?

I do wonder cus this whole thread sort of arose following Imberboys comments posted on the same (Bidds feedback) thread.

Perhaps you guys feel the need to dissect every night to the nth degree and pick at the bones on how you feel nighters 'should' be run.....the rest of us will carry on going out and enjoying what we are doing.

Lots of threads arise on here, commenting on there being far too many DJs on the scene.....far more 'back seat' drivers if you ask me.... :lol:

Social source share

I might be getting paranoid, but is this a dig at my comments on this subject on the Bidds feedback thread Terry?

I do wonder cus this whole thread sort of arose following Imberboys comments posted on the same (Bidds feedback) thread.

Perhaps you guys feel the need to dissect every night to the nth degree and pick at the bones on how you feel nighters 'should' be run.....the rest of us will carry on going out and enjoying what we are doing.

Lots of threads arise on here, commenting on there being far too many DJs on the scene.....far more 'back seat' drivers if you ask me.... :lol:

Mace,

No mate its not a dig at you,It was that Imberboys, comments struck a cord with me,and I had to get it off my chest about some Djs,playing very slow tunes,that kills the night for me,and it looks like a few others as well.

Regards,Kev :lol:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Mace,

No mate its not a dig at you mate,It was that Imberboys, comments struck a cord with me,and I had to get it off my chest about some Djs,playing very slow tunes,that kills the night for me,and it looks like a few others as well.

Regards,Kev :huh:

Fair enough, but I still don't get the 'very slow tunes' comment Kev, cus I can't recall any allnighters that suffer such spots at 4am.

So please put me out of my misery and name the venues and DJs responsible and then maybe the promoters will take notice and address the fact.

Most promoters suffer from negative comments during the night (and afterwards on here), some founded, some just moans, and some plain bizzare (Andy Bins recent thread highlights the latter)

Without any constructive factual evidence to highlight your point, I'm afraid you may well suffer the fate of falling into that latter category.

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Fair enough, but I still don't get the 'very slow tunes' comment Kev, cus I can't recall any allnighters that suffer such spots at 4am.

So please put me out of my misery and name the venues and DJs responsible and then maybe the promoters will take notice and address the fact.

Most promoters suffer from negative comments during the night (and afterwards on here), some founded, some just moans, and some plain bizzare (Andy Bins recent thread highlights the latter)

Without any constructive factual evidence to highlight your point, I'm afraid you may well suffer the fate of falling into that latter category.

Regards

Mace

Mace,

Bloody hell Iam not naming venues or Djs,Ive made enough enemys as it is,just have have word at a few venues,ask the punters.

And I know what its like for you promoters,a good mate used to promote nighters but got pissed off,and went off the scene altogether.

Going to bed now.work in the morning.

Regards,Kev :huh:

Social source share

Guest Mark Holmes

Up there as well with Emmit Long - Call Me brilliant any time of day or night

Now if someone played Sir Ceasar - Show me a time, at 4 am then different story - (Though I really like the choon)

(Don't think they have invented a biullet that will cross the Atlantic so :huh:

Edited by Mark Holmes
Social source share

All about opinions!

One comment in events lookbacks for a nighter a few weeks back was "did a great spot apart from his last record which was far too slow and killed the dance floor"

For me it was one of the best tunes of the night and I didn't clear off the floor (must have been on my own?)

What are opinions like again?

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Lots of threads arise on here, commenting on there being far too many DJs on the scene.....far more 'back seat' drivers if you ask me.... :(

Don't be daft mace,nowt to do with you,wouldn't dream of upsetting ya. I just feel that promters sometimes feel just putting on the night is all that matters.....l feel they have to keep a eye on the night bit like a baby lol :D .....l perhaps do dissect things to much (l shall desist lol ).As i,ve said mate not aimed at you at all....Just cause we,ve not made it to bidds yet,we will.Your ethos is spot on....see ya soon tezza :D

Social source share

All about opinions!

One comment in events lookbacks for a nighter a few weeks back was "did a great spot apart from his last record which was far too slow and killed the dance floor"

For me it was one of the best tunes of the night and I didn't clear off the floor (must have been on my own?)

What are opinions like again?

I think your on about the,David Thomas, Ill always need you.

These are the type of records are nice soul sounds,(Lullaby Soul)but never dancers no.gif

Kev :unsure:

Social source share

I think your on about the,David Thomas, Ill always need you.

These are the type of records are nice soul sounds,(Lullaby Soul)but never dancers no.gif

Kev :unsure:

Yep, David Thomas played at the end of one of the best sets of the night IMHO

Like I say, it's all about opinions.

It gets played at Burnley and The Wilton and it's great, now it's lulaby?

It does it for me but obviously not everybody elses cup of tea. (Maybe I've just got bad taste?)

keep smilin!

Social source share

It does it for me but obviously not everybody elses cup of tea. (Maybe I've just got bad taste?)

keep smilin!

I think it is a great tune too. And one I can dance to very easily.

Absolutely nothing wrong with playing the odd tune like this, but to play one after the other would kill it for me.

But that's just my opinion.

Social source share

keep smilin!

I know its a touchy subject the records that we like,its like calling someones children.

But like you say its all about opinions,I still think the,David Thomas,track is to slow for a dancer shades.gif

Regards,Kev :unsure:

Social source share

I know its a touchy subject the records that we like,its like calling someones children.

But like you say its all about opinions,I still think the,David Thomas,track is to slow for a dancer shades.gif

Regards,Kev :unsure:

At the end of the day it doesn't even take 3 minutes out of the whole night so surely no harm done?

If you are unable to put up with that then boy do you need to give your head a shake. :lol:

Plus everybody needs to go to the loo some time during the night :shhh:

Social source share

At the end of the day it doesn't even take 3 minutes out of the whole night so surely no harm done?

If you are unable to put up with that then boy do you need to give your head a shake. :shhh:

Plus everybody needs to go to the loo some time during the night shades.gif

:lol::lol:Joan, Iam shaking it now,

This is just one of the slow sounds,like someone said its when you get 3,or4 together.

Kind Regards,Kev :unsure:

Social source share

Just been speaking to John Weston who the last few posts apply to, he is off line for another few days waiting for a new pc . he says it was a request and it had hardly any effect on the number of dancers so b****** :unsure:

Absolutely!

I can't believe anyone would give a fig about one bloody record!!

Some people need to get a life.

Social source share

Always have this subject cropping up... I and many others love to see the tempo change, when djs get it right its pure heaven and really makes my night...

Emitt Long aint a dance tune :unsure: .. Could never sit down to this tune, pure soul heaven that make your feet just glide... Emitt Long is pretty up-tempo for me laugh.gif

One persons shite is another persons soul heaven... Nothing gonna change there..

Social source share

Just been speaking to John Weston who the last few posts apply to, he is off line for another few days waiting for a new pc . he says it was a request and it had hardly any effect on the number of dancers so b****** :unsure:

How disapointing, I thought he played it cus it's a great tune. hope he doesn't stop playin' it?

No disrespect but Mel Torme got played earlier on in the night and I don't want to hear that at a nighter, maybe at the local oldies night, however, it was a great night with everything to please most. You can't please 'em all.

Seems to me goin' to a nighter's a bit like goin' on holiday, some people just want to moan for the sake of it!

I've just planted some petunia in the garden and I'm sat here watchin' next doors cat dig 'em up grrrrrrrrrr!

Social source share

How disapointing, I thought he played it cus it's a great tune. hope he doesn't stop playin' it?

No disrespect but Mel Torme got played earlier on in the night and I don't want to hear that at a nighter, maybe at the local oldies night, however, it was a great night with everything to please most. You can't please 'em all.

Seems to me goin' to a nighter's a bit like goin' on holiday, some people just want to moan for the sake of it!

I've just planted some petunia in the garden and I'm sat here watchin' next doors cat dig 'em up grrrrrrrrrr!

he was going to play it any way and has done for the last 3/4 Middletons

Social source share

My fave time at the 100 Club is the last hour usually. Records like Eddie Hughes, Flash McKinley or Annabelle Fox have a passion that a lot/most of uptempo records will never exhibit for me.

Songs like Walter Jackson - Uphill Climb and Roy Hamilton/Lou Johnson - The Panic Is On have such a dramatic and impassioned feel that, personally, they completely outshine most uptempo records and I relish hearing them out. Though I do know I'm very much in the minority. But for me that's what soul was always about.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert