Crap Punters

Guest andrew bin

Guest andrew bin

you always seem to hear about crap dj's crap promoters but nobody ever mentions crap punters, by this i mean the people who go and continually moan and whinge about nonsense don't get me wrong I'm all for constructive criticism but i honestly believe that there are a large number of people that are not happy unless they're miserable,

in the past i have had people complaining to me about rough toilet paper, an expensive bottle of red wine, the price of beer, a light shinning in their eyes, lost drugs, dance floor to busy, etc etc, now i just say "your welcome to have your money back and leave" i even had some one moaning about the music policy at my birthday party (witch was free) :ohmy:

my advise would be, stay at home :wicked:

is it just me or does this seem to be on the increase wink.gif

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know just what you mean, and I'm not even a promoter. Never ceases to amaze me when people turn up at a do where the music policy and DJ line-up is clearly advertised on the flyer and then they moan about it. Mind you, working in HR, I've often said 'this job would be great, if it weren't for the people...'

The chairman of a company I used to work for, who was one of the wisest men I ever met, once said to me when I was struggling with a constantly complaining customer who we just couldn't please, "Theresa, it is time to say to this woman 'Madam, yours is not the type of custom we wish to encourage, please take your business elsewhere.'" Can't tell you how satisfying it was to say it! Shut her right up and we never heard from her again :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

:ohmy: Andrew what about the " Im a paying punter the dj should play what i want to hear" :wanker: :wicked:

laugh.gif some one onece gave me a list of oldies written on the back of a flyer and said could i give it to the dj :D:D

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

The only time I've complained is when we turned up to a club billed as an "Allnighter" in Stoke Newington I think and there was no dancefloor lol. Got our money back and left. Was supposed to meet Kylee but we had to get out of there.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

had a guy once come up to me and say rather angrily "someone has stolen my girlfriends coat off the back of her chair" he said he wasn't worried about the coat but there was a large bag of drugs in the pocket :ohmy: it turns out his girlfriend went to the toilet and when she returned sat the the different seat :wicked:

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

had a guy once come up to me and say rather angrily "someone has stolen my girlfriends coat off the back of her chair" he said he wasn't worried about the coat but there was a large bag of drugs in the pocket :wicked: it turns out his girlfriend went to the toilet and when she returned sat the the different seat laugh.gif

So she got her coat back...........Phew :ohmy:

Social source share

I think toilet paper is extremely important and integral part of the clubbing experience and it's no coincidence that the two of the most successful all-nighters are run by Andrex Dyson and Soultownandrex.

As for chrome decor it does take some getting used to but Chrome wasn't built in a day,was it?

Moaning is a British hobby. Don't take it too seriously.

ROD

Weather is crap here- what happened to BBQ Summer forecast.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Those valley soul commandoes have their do's too far up the valley.

They should have it in Newport, then I could have an expensive bottle of wine ;-)

Social source share

Guest welshruss

A woman once said to me "get this crap off and play some northern" so i smiled and cut the record short...The next week the very same person danced for 3mins.30secs to the very same 12 coz Sam was playing it.And when i asked her why she said "bloody love that track" :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

I think toilet paper is extremely important and integral part of the clubbing experience and it's no coincidence that the two of the most successful all-nighters are run by Andrex Dyson and Soultownandrex.

As for chrome decor it does take some getting used to but Chrome wasn't built in a day,was it?

ROD

Would have to agree rod toilet paper is very important[plenty of arse wipeing done on this scene :thumbsup: ].First nite at the new arena a woman who had constantly complained about the toilets at the old civic,said the new toilets were to new and sterile[her words]and another asked could i get them to change the colour of the paint in the foyer as she didnt think it was the right shade.Oh and the clown who told john weston he had just played the worst spot he had ever heard and that every single record was shite,dont bother comin back :thumbup: .

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

:thumbup: Andrew what about the " Im a paying punter the dj should play what i want to hear" :wanker: :thumbsup:

As a joke, at Stafford Rangers about 4 years ago, I put up a notice in both the ladies and gents toilets which read:-

THE PROMOTORS OF THIS EVENT OPERATE A STRICTLY "NO WHINGING POLICY"

OFFENDERS WILL BE LOCKED IN A ROOM AND FORCED TO REPEATEDLY LISTEN TO

"THE SNAKE", "OUT ON THE FLOOR", AND "DO I LOVE YOU" UNTIL EARS BLEED, OR DEATH BY BOREDOM OCCURS.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Hardly anyone saw the funny side, and to this day I still get abusive comments about it.

At another event, a punter once said to me,

"Ive paid a fiver to get in here and I want to re live my youth"

If only it was that simple :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Catfish

Can't understand people who spend 100's of £'s and travel 100's of miles to do something they obviously don't really enjoy / have to get off their faces or pissed to put up with. Too much of a good thing. Maybe they loved it 20 years ago and think they still should. I looked at a picture of a niter recently and every face in it looked bored.

If I go somewhere and have a shit time, I simply don't go again. There's enough do's to choose from. It doesn't matter to anyone else what I think; it's subjective- so I don't bother telling them- I just make my choices and go where I want to go. It's rare that anywhere interests me for longer than 5 hours- so I don't moan, I just hop it, while I'm still feeling reasonably positive about it all.

Yeah totally agree with Andy, if you don't really enjoy it stay in and make casseroles for a while / take up painting / playing the piano/whatever. Might make for a more balanced outlook. :thumbup: After all it's all just going for a night out, it's not your whole life (not mine anyway)... maybe that's the problem? Expecting too much from something that should just be .. a night out.

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

you always seem to hear about crap dj's crap promoters but nobody ever mentions crap punters, by this i mean the people who go and continually moan and whinge about nonsense don't get me wrong I'm all for constructive criticism but i honestly believe that there are a large number of people that are not happy unless they're miserable,

in the past i have had people complaining to me about rough toilet paper, an expensive bottle of red wine, the price of beer, a light shinning in their eyes, lost drugs, dance floor to busy, etc etc, now i just say "your welcome to have your money back and leave" i even had some one moaning about the music policy at my birthday party (witch was free) :thumbup:

my advise would be, stay at home :thumbsup:

is it just me or does this seem to be on the increase :thumbsup:

these people who moan just like moaning for the sake of it imho

every venue has some redeeming feature , great music , good dancefloor , friendly people . ok you might get a bad set now and again but "one mans meat is another mans poison". why bother giving them their money back at all ?

Social source share

A woman once said to me "get this crap off and play some northern" so i smiled and cut the record short...The next week the very same person danced for 3mins.30secs to the very same 12 coz Sam was playing it.And when i asked her why she said "bloody love that track" :thumbup: YOU SEEM TO HAVE THIS EFFECT ON PEOPLE WERE EVER YOU GO RUSS EH :thumbsup::thumbsup: OH AND YOUR A TIGHT OLD GIT ASWELL :lol:
Social source share

in the past i have had people complaining to me about rough toilet paper, an expensive bottle of red wine, the price of beer, a light shinning in their eyes, lost drugs, dance floor to busy, etc etc, now i just say "your welcome to have your money back and leave" i even had some one moaning about the music policy at my birthday party (witch was free) :thumbup:

my advise would be, stay at home :lol:

is it just me or does this seem to be on the increase :D

:thumbsup::lol:

Sorry the bit about moaning about the music policy at your birthday party...that really tickled me...and losing their gear :) Who'd be a promoter. I did the door for Steve for 6 months and that was bad enough...you'd never beleive how many people complained about paying a fiver to get in (to a city centre venue) and moaned about not enough "northern"... :thumbsup: whatever that meant....!

so yes of course the answer is that people aren't happy unless they're moaning....

Social source share

ROD

Moaning's the only thing that makes me happy nowadays.

Kev - in a traffic jam near you.

Social source share

I think it's about time that I had a moan about people coming on here moaning about people moaning

So dont moan at me :rolleyes:

Hows about when you meet a couple at prestatyn and tell them about your venue up in yorkshire and they ask if they get a program when they come in and you tell them for a joke you get a program,free cd t shirt, poster and mug for the 1st 500 and they turn up ask for thier goody bag and then ask for thier £4 each back and call you a robbing ba%$^&D for having them trail 13.5 miles for nothing then we offer them free entrance and they tell us to F""k off nar thats moaning.Yocky

Social source share

Crying laffin at some of these posts.

Whilst on holiday in Newquay, me and the eldest saw an add for a northern soul nite in St Austell, so we headed over.

We stayed about 2 hrs and not one soul track was played... unsure.gif

I wasn't going to say anything but the eldest, as we walked out said, "I thought this was supposed to be a northern soul nite".

"We stopped playing it coz no one liked it" was the answer... :(

Thank god the venues we get in Newquay are so much better... :rolleyes:

Social source share

As a joke, at Stafford Rangers about 4 years ago, I put up a notice in both the ladies and gents toilets which read:-

THE PROMOTORS OF THIS EVENT OPERATE A STRICTLY "NO WHINGING POLICY"

OFFENDERS WILL BE LOCKED IN A ROOM AND FORCED TO REPEATEDLY LISTEN TO

"THE SNAKE", "OUT ON THE FLOOR", AND "DO I LOVE YOU" UNTIL EARS BLEED, OR DEATH BY BOREDOM OCCURS.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Hardly anyone saw the funny side, and to this day I still get abusive comments about it.

At another event, a punter once said to me,

"Ive paid a fiver to get in here and I want to re live my youth"

If only it was that simple :rolleyes:

PMSL :D well I'd have seen the funny side of that..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Crying laffin at some of these posts.

Whilst on holiday in Newquay, me and the eldest saw an add for a northern soul nite in St Austell, so we headed over.

We stayed about 2 hrs and not one soul track was played... :D

I wasn't going to say anything but the eldest, as we walked out said, "I thought this was supposed to be a northern soul nite".

"We stopped playing it coz no one liked it" was the answer... ohmy.gif

Thank god the venues we get in Newquay are so much better... :rolleyes:

Fantastic! :D

Wish I'd thought of that!.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Heard some cackers over the years stuff lik "whats up with you is it not f--kin rare enough"[a good mate having a laugh],Karl Herd at Burnley got a complaint that he needed to play faster records lol,his spot was totally uptempo!!! As Rod says it is emdemic to the british pysche,holidays are the best once the brits get off the topic of sun towels,shit food,germans,crap beer,too hot,shit accomodation,no british papers,etc etc etc,why should soul nights be any different?

BAZ A. :lol:

Social source share

:lol: It's not all bad though....

I had someone come up to the decks recently and ask "You got any Donna Summers?"

I dunno what my face must have looked like, 'cos he followed with "Oh....I've asked the wrong question haven't I!"

End result was we both fell about pissing ourselves laughing :lol::):huh: and I'm so glad I was too stunned to just tell him to fook off.

-Kev

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

wink.gif It's not all bad though....

I had someone come up to the decks recently and ask "You got any Donna Summers?"

I dunno what my face must have looked like, 'cos he followed with "Oh....I've asked the wrong question haven't I!"

End result was we both fell about pissing ourselves laughing :huh::lol::lol: and I'm so glad I was too stunned to just tell him to fook off.

-Kev

:lol: i dont get that Kev :)

your play box is full of stuff like that normally :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

The only time I've complained is when we turned up to a club billed as an "Allnighter" in Stoke Newington I think and there was no dancefloor lol. Got our money back and left. Was supposed to meet Kylee but we had to get out of there.

Oh yeah, it just had carpet! :) We didn't stay long either! :lol:

When Johnny Beggs did "Steam" a couple of Years ago, someone complained there was too much Chrome!!!!!!!!!!!

Des Parker

:huh:

I think some people (as already said) just aren't happy unless their moaning about sommat! :lol:

Social source share

Crappiest punters I've seen recently are the passing trade one's on Oxford St.

But don't scowl at them for Gawd's sake, or you'll be the crap punter, cos they're new blood. Honest!

:lol:

Heh, heh. Reading the recent thread, I think I know what you are saying here.

I tend to feel very guilty moaning about other punters, like a snitch or something, and I don't like the heavy-handed way some regulars come down on the newbies (who normally just need a bit of 'friendly suggestion'), but sometimes promoters or DJs need to realise at some point that if nothing gets said (and its down to them to say it, not us, or arguments start), it spoils the fun for the rest of us.

Like the title of this thread by the way, Andrew Bin.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

I tend to feel very guilty moaning about other punters, like a snitch or something

Recently, at a midlands venue where pissheads are more welcome than they should be, after 10 minutes dodging someone with a glass in their hand, I gestured in exasperation and embarrasment to the DJ, feeling like an utter, teachers pet w-ker as I mimicked the glass-holding and nodded in the direction of the erring dancer.

"Carling, Lee" he shouted back.

Bugger.

Social source share

I remember dj-ing at a friends 50th birthday party and playing soul sounds such as Tony Clarke, Toni & Showmen, Otis Lee all top quality soul tunes. A rather large scary skinhead bloke you know the type northern soul fist tatoo etc came up and asked if I was going to play anything decent :lol: I asked him "whats your version of decent" he replied "you got any Tina Turner" :lol::lol: . On the same night I aslo got passed a list of requests out of about 20 tunes I knew 0, shows you how different the soul scene can be :g: (rare soul scene/Oldies scene).

Social source share

Recently, at a midlands venue where pissheads are more welcome than they should be, after 10 minutes dodging someone with a glass in their hand, I gestured in exasperation and embarrasment to the DJ, feeling like an utter, teachers pet w-ker as I mimicked the glass-holding and nodded in the direction of the erring dancer.

"Carling, Lee" he shouted back.

Bugger.

:lol::lol::g:

But yes, the DJ or promoter should have a friendly word straight off before things can get silly.Yet to see a promoter stepping in though. Maybe we're all just customers - arsehole or not :lol:

I've got down of the decks myself to shift the drinkers before now when a shout over the mike had no effect. It really pisses me off if I'm dancing so why should I expect anyone else to put up with it?

-Kev

Social source share

I've mentioned this before, and although not a complaint, it's a real WTF moment! A guy came up to me, whilst D.J.'ing with a list of about 6 English Tamla Motown numbers (No Titles), you know the TMG 5... etc etc, and probably tough ones, anyhow he asks me to ask out over the Decks if anyone's got these records - I asked him if he was after them (in an attempt to point him in a more suitable direction, as far as servicing your wants, as I had NO intention of reading them out) He then says " I've got them all, I just wanted to see if anyone else in the room had them!"

Des Parker

Social source share

I've mentioned this before, and although not a complaint, it's a real WTF moment! A guy came up to me, whilst D.J.'ing with a list of about 6 English Tamla Motown numbers (No Titles), you know the TMG 5... etc etc, and probably tough ones, anyhow he asks me to ask out over the Decks if anyone's got these records - I asked him if he was after them (in an attempt to point him in a more suitable direction, as far as servicing your wants, as I had NO intention of reading them out) He then says " I've got them all, I just wanted to see if anyone else in the room had them!"

Des Parker

priceless... :lol:

Social source share

:lol::lol::g:

I've got down of the decks myself to shift the drinkers before now when a shout over the mike had no effect. It really pisses me off if I'm dancing so why should I expect anyone else to put up with it?

:lol:

:D

Brilliant! Now that is geeky.

Social source share

A rather large scary skinhead bloke you know the type northern soul fist tatoo etc came up and asked if I was going to play anything decent :lol: I asked him "whats your version of decent" he replied "you got any Tina Turner" :lol::lol: .

I was djing at Camber, double decking with Pete Kelross once, and your skinhead mate come up to me looked down at me and asked me for some record.. can't remember what it was now

but I said "no sorry, don't carry it"

He replied "why not"

and I said "cause its shit"

He gave me this really bad stare :lol: , Pete looked at me ... :D

and we both laughed at scary skinhead :lol::lol:

who then... :g:

appologised and walked off..

:D:D:D

ps drink makes you hard......

Edited by mischief
Social source share

Think I've mentioned this one before but,

at Heywood a certain "laydee" was whinging all night 2 Dunno this", " Play some Northern" etc-you get the pic, any road Steve announces Somebody Somewhere-Ike & Tina Turner.

Said lady SHOUTS "Ike & Tina F*CKING Turner, thats not..........................

Oh I like this!!!!" :lol:

and bounds onto the floor..

Tony

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

a regular to our nights came up to me once and said "have a word with that twat down there or he'll be leaving through the window" :lol: the funny thing is he would of actually done it :lol: some times you have to get rid of the crap punters for their own safety

a few days after our very first doo a guy came up to me in the local pub and said "you were at that northern soul night last friday" yes i replied "did you enjoy it", "not really" he said "i didn't recognize one track all night" , i apologized and said "i didn't think it was that rare" and asked him what doos he usually goes to, "None" he replied I've never been to a soul night before :lol:

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

a few days after our very first doo a guy came up to me in the local pub and said "you were at that northern soul night last friday" yes i replied "did you enjoy it", "not really" he said "i didn't recognize one track all night" , i apologized and said "i didn't think it was that rare" and asked him what doos he usually goes to, "None" he replied I've never been to a soul night before :lol:

Brilliant! :lol:

Social source share

Guest posstot

I have found, along with Longy. The best thing to do is start a night whre nobody comes.....then nobody has anything to moan about. :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert