Is The Look As Good As The Sound?

When i first got into northern soul, and started reading up about any and every topic i could find relating to NS, it became immediately apparent that one of the most fascinating things about it, (in mine and im sure many others opinions), was the variety of labels and record companies who have issued such great music.

The more digging and reading i did, the more i came to admire some of the label designs and unique styles of labels that were added to these great and often now expensive pieces of plastic. I've been fixated ever since!

Considering some of these record companies didnt have the financial resources of some of the big players, its even more impressive that they managed to produce such spell binding art work on the labels.

That got me to thinking, what is your favourite label? Not for the artists / music it produced, but for the art work?

Could be a rare label, a one off, could be mass produced......what's your favourite, and why?

If you own the record and have the abilty, load a scan too!

To kick things off, i've always loved the Capitol label.

It's not really a fancy design, but seeing those orange and yellow ying-yang esque swirls going round on a turn table is mesmerising.

Arron

Social source share

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Ste Brazil

When i first got into northern soul, and started reading up about any and every topic i could find relating to NS, it became immediately apparent that one of the most fascinating things about it, (in mine and im sure many others opinions), was the variety of labels and record companies who have issued such great music.

The more digging and reading i did, the more i came to admire some of the label designs and unique styles of labels that were added to these great and often now expensive pieces of plastic. I've been fixated ever since!

Considering some of these record companies didnt have the financial resources of some of the big players, its even more impressive that they managed to produce such spell binding art work on the labels.

That got me to thinking, what is your favourite label? Not for the artists / music it produced, but for the art work?

Could

be a rare label, a one off, could be mass produced......what's your favourite, and why?

If you own the record and have the abilty, load a scan too!

It's not really a fancy design, but seeing those orange and yellow ying-yang esque swirls going round on a turn table is mesmerising.

Arron

Loads of cool looking labels about, i like the 'Pzazz' label at the moment, the one on the 'Elevator song' Len Jewell - One on Manships at the moment:https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/all-auction

I also like the really primitive labels, i have a Funk track and the label was obviously (badly) hand drawn then given directly to the printers - Probably a bedroom operation by some young hopeful on a very limited budget!

Ste. :rolleyes:

Social source share

I dig the 'USA' flag design label, especially when they come in the sleeves (very hard to get!). Not 100% Northern soul on the label though, some great garage bands too. As you know, when they did release Northern tunes, they are some of the most sought after 45s in the genre.

Social source share

If you let the disc spin the look at the cartridge (not on the record but in the standby position) the record in your peripheral vision it changes colours.

Social source share

Lovin that frantic records label design, i'd never even heard of the label before :P

Just wait till you hear the record! :lol:

The Lovers is my favourite too but much prefer the demo.

You can tell just by looking at it that it is going to kick some serious soul butt!

post-1076-1243250062_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest posstot

If you let the disc spin the look at the cartridge (not on the record but in the standby position) the record in your peripheral vision it changes colours.

I thought magic mushrooms grew in August!! :lol::P

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

I always remember first seeing Hype and thinking Wow what a great looking label.

paulsindab_dowatcha_b.png

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert