Glen Miller

I have just secured a Ja issue on STAG - A bit funny cause its a big norvun 45 at the moment and I reckon this is 1000 times rarer than the UK issue !

But what the feck do I know!

How many Jamaican copys of this fantastic 45 reside in the UK ?

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Of course it's not 1000 times rare than the UK one, have you seen how rare the UK one is? It certainly is rare though, I've seen 4 I think.

Sorry Figure of speech Pete, So I guess there are only a handful of known Jamaican 45s - Have you heard the Jamaican press?

What is the sound quality like?

My copy is still in the post so I have not had chance to play it yet

Social source share

Sorry Figure of speech Pete, So I guess there are only a handful of known Jamaican 45s - Have you heard the Jamaican press?

What is the sound quality like?

My copy is still in the post so I have not had chance to play it yet

I don't know mate, I don't touch Jamaican pressings! It's a good find though.

Social source share

I don't know mate, I don't touch Jamaican pressings! It's a good find though.

We will see about that when it arrives - you know what Jamaican grading is like :) Might be a case of record renovation again !

But I have heard a clip of the 45 and it sounded well.

I noticed that there are two label variations - one with black text and one with silver - my copy is the one with silver text.

Unless the other side has a different label ? I will find out on Wednesday when it arrives !

post-6465-1243114765_thumb.jpg

post-6465-1243114781_thumb.jpg

Edited by mossy
Social source share

We will see about that when it arrives - you know what Jamaican grading is like :) Might be a case of record renovation again !

But I have heard a clip of the 45 and it sounded well.

I noticed that there are two label variations - one with black text and one with silver - my copy is the one with silver text.

Unless the other side has a different label ? I will find out on Wednesday when it arrives !

post-6465-1243114765_thumb.jpg

post-6465-1243114781_thumb.jpg

I am 99% positive that I saw a different label design to this altogether - white, like the Jamaican Trojan label, with an actual picture of a stag on it. I must be going nuts.

Social source share

Glen Miller - where is the love - Stag

Posted info:

My copy arrived from Kingston this morning, It plays all the way through nice n strong with the odd crackle, so I cant grumble,

As everyone who buys 45s from Jamaica knows how hit and miss grading can be from over there.

I am sure this 45 must be impossible to get in mint condition on Dr Bird so I am more than happy with this Jamaican issue.

So there are two different labels and could be three if Pete's memories returned?

Thanks Guys

Social source share

I've got one as well, cost a lot less than a doctorbird copy.

I bought my copy off a reggae dealer in Jamaica - Just browsing for some SKA bits and hey presto !!! Thought gotta be worth a try !!!

500 quid recentley for a decent Dr Bird copy I have heard :thumbsup:

Lovely tune IMHO and its great to see another Jamaican Soul 45 really popular on the Soul Scene

Social source share

I've got one as well, cost a lot less than a doctorbird copy.

Was your copy one of the ones on popsike ? I know the seller who had the other two copy's of the Stag 45s on E bay (the ones you see on Popsike) - His name is Earl Hales and he is a dude who only sells good condition 45s - I have bought some nice 60s SKA of him. - There are no more copy's available in Jamaica at the moment as far as I know, ( they are frantically looking :rolleyes: )

I don't personally reckon you will see another good one on e bay again for a few years ?

Its a massive in-demand tune on the Soul scene now and both UK and Jamaican releases are really hard in any condition IMO !

PEACE 1

MOSSY

Social source share

I am 99% positive that I saw a different label design to this altogether - white, like the Jamaican Trojan label, with an actual picture of a stag on it. I must be going nuts.

That makes two of us then - I'm pretty sure I've seen a scan of one somewhere with a Stag on the label.

Social source share

That makes two of us then - I'm pretty sure I've seen a scan of one somewhere with a Stag on the label.

Someone get a scan up then ! This is interesting stuff !

..... I just noticed that the backing band to this track was the famous Jamaican artist "Lyn Taitt" and Ochestra

I wonder if Lyn Taitt or family members have any spare copys of this 45? :rolleyes:

That's what the the Northern Soul Boys would find out innit !

We could put up signs in Montego Bay "Anyone got any 45s by Glen Miller? Cash paid!" wink.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I bought my copy off a reggae dealer in Jamaica - Just browsing for some SKA bits and hey presto !!! Thought gotta be worth a try !!!

500 quid recentley for a decent Dr Bird copy I have heard :rolleyes:

Lovely tune IMHO and its great to see another Jamaican Soul 45 really popular on the Soul Scene

I paid 120 quid for my latest Doctor Bird copy just 2 months ago off D The Drug, nice of him wasn't it, no centre but better than my last one!

Social source share

Someone get a scan up then ! This is interesting stuff !

..... I just noticed that the backing band to this track was the famous Jamaican artist "Lyn Taitt" and Ochestra

I wonder if Lyn Taitt or family members have any spare copys of this 45? :rolleyes:

We could put up signs in Montego Bay "Anyone got any 45s by Glen Miller? Cash paid!" wink.gif

Slight problem, well two slight problems here;

Lynn Taitt played on about 5000 Jamaican recordings and,

Glen Miller recorded a couple of hundred sides!

Social source share

This is doing my head in now, I've definitely seen this with a Stag design, it was a white label with black printing and it did indeed feature a picture of a stag and the typeface was like the Jamaican Trojan label.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

We could put up signs in Montego Bay "Anyone got any 45s by Glen Miller? Cash paid!" :thumbsup:

That's allright until some twat sends you Chatanooga Choo-choo and In the Mood biggrin.gif

Social source share

:thumbsup: Another one of my brain waves shot down in smoke then !!! laugh.gif

What condition is your Dr Bird copy in Pete ? 120 is bloody cheap by anyones standards for that at the moment.

Bloody bargain !

Social source share

laugh.gif Another one of my brain waves shot down in smoke then !!! :D

What condition is your Dr Bird copy in Pete ? 120 is bloody cheap by anyones standards for that at the moment.

Bloody bargain !

:thumbsup: OFF CORSE IT WAS A BARGIN, IT WAS ALSO MY FIRST COPY AND I HAVE HAD THE MOST COPYS TO MY KNOWLAGE, I COULD OF SOLD IT MANY TIMES OVER AND EVEN ON THE DAY TO RESPECTED UK COLLECTORS WANTED IT :wicked: HOWEVER WHEN PLACING RARE RECORDS SOMETIMES ITS NOT ABOUT MONEY ITS ABOUT AVAILABILITY, I KNOW PETE HAS HAD A COPY FOR A LONG TIME, AND FOR THAT PARTICULAR COPY I WANTED IT TO GO TO SOMEONE WHO WILL KEEP IT AND NEEDS AN UPGRADE AND ALSO PETE IS ONE OF MY MATES AND IN THE END IT WAS MICKS SMITHS SIGN OF APPROVAL AS PETE HAS DONE A LOT OF WORK OVER THE YEARS FOR HIM, GOOD GUYS GET ALL THE LUCK?**THE STAG COPY I SOLD 3 YEARS AGO WAS A PLUMY COLOR WITH SILVER LETTERING I HAVE A COPY OF IT ON MY OLD COMPUTOR THAT IN THE LOFT, AS WITH ALL RARE ITEMS YOU CAN NEVER FIND THEM AGAIN MY STAG COPY COST £30. THE COPY PETE GOT WAS GIVEN TO ME FREE BY A SOUND MAN FROM HACKNEY, WITH THE GLEN MILLERS I HAVE HAD ALL OF THEM PUT TOGETHER HAVE COST LESS THEN £70 BY THE WAY ADY LIPTON COPY COME FROM ME :thumbup: DAVE KIL

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

:unsure: OFF CORSE IT WAS A BARGIN, IT WAS ALSO MY FIRST COPY AND I HAVE HAD THE MOST COPYS TO MY KNOWLAGE, I COULD OF SOLD IT MANY TIMES OVER AND EVEN ON THE DAY TO RESPECTED UK COLLECTORS WANTED IT :ohmy: HOWEVER WHEN PLACING RARE RECORDS SOMETIMES ITS NOT ABOUT MONEY ITS ABOUT AVAILABILITY, I KNOW PETE HAS HAD A COPY FOR A LONG TIME, AND FOR THAT PARTICULAR COPY I WANTED IT TO GO TO SOMEONE WHO WILL KEEP IT AND NEEDS AN UPGRADE AND ALSO PETE IS ONE OF MY MATES AND IN THE END IT WAS MICKS SMITHS SIGN OF APPROVAL AS PETE HAS DONE A LOT OF WORK OVER THE YEARS FOR HIM, GOOD GUYS GET ALL THE LUCK?**THE STAG COPY I SOLD 3 YEARS AGO WAS A PLUMY COLOR WITH SILVER LETTERING I HAVE A COPY OF IT ON MY OLD COMPUTOR THAT IN THE LOFT, AS WITH ALL RARE ITEMS YOU CAN NEVER FIND THEM AGAIN MY STAG COPY COST £30. THE COPY PETE GOT WAS GIVEN TO ME FREE BY A SOUND MAN FROM HACKNEY, WITH THE GLEN MILLERS I HAVE HAD ALL OF THEM PUT TOGETHER HAVE COST LESS THEN £70 BY THE WAY ADY LIPTON COPY COME FROM ME :ohmy: DAVE KIL

You must have had more copy's of this 45 through your hands than any dealer/collector on the scene !!!

Its funny how you get lucky with certain 45s !

Mine was Ray Pollard - The Drifter in the 80s :ohmy: Import issues.........demos..............uk issue ----- now I cant get me a copy cause even the shit ones are going for money laugh.gif

Social source share

You must have had more copy's of this 45 through your hands than any dealer/collector on the scene !!!

Its funny how you get lucky with certain 45s !

Mine was Ray Pollard - The Drifter in the 80s :wicked: Import issues.........demos..............uk issue ----- now I cant get me a copy cause even the shit ones are going for money :lol:

:thumbup: HI ITS JUST I WAS AWARE OF IT A FEW YEARS BACK BEFORE ANY RARE SOUL COLLECTORS AND I HAVE A FEW MATES WHO ARE THE TOP REGGAE COLLECTORS AND THE GLEN MILLER IS JUST A NUMBER TO THE DOCTOR BIRD CONPLEATIST? YES IT HAS BEEN A GOOD LITTLE EARNER FOR ME AS FOR TRADES I WOULD EXPECT A LOT MORE THAN I CHARGED PETE, I KNOW WERE 12 COPIES ARE PLACED WITH COLLECTORES AND AT THIS TIME I THINK MY PERSONAL COPY IS THE BEST CONDITION AT A STRONG EX, ALSO THE JA STAG COPY IS REALLY RARE HOWEVER ITS THE LEAST DESIRABLE AMONGST UK PURISTS, I RATE THEN STAG COPY AT £1000 AS I HAVE ONLY SEEN THE ONE THAT I USED TO OWN AND MY COPY ON DOCTOR BIRD AT£1200 AS ITS BY FAR THE BEST COPY AND IF THERE WAS ANY MORE ABOUT THEY WOULD OF TURNED UP BY NOW DONT YOU THINK ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

If the UK Doctor Bird is worth £1200 then it's time for me to hang up my collecting boots I think. Now I sold a MINT Patsy - Blues In The Night last month for £300 and I rate that as being tougher than Glen Miller. Having said that, I'd ask maybe £450 for mint Glen Miller should it ever turn up. £1200, that makes it the rarest UK 'soul' record, and frankly that's just nonsense Dave.

Social source share

If the UK Doctor Bird is worth £1200 then it's time for me to hang up my collecting boots I think. Now I sold a MINT Patsy - Blues In The Night last month for £300 and I rate that as being tougher than Glen Miller. Having said that, I'd ask maybe £450 for mint Glen Miller should it ever turn up. £1200, that makes it the rarest UK 'soul' record, and frankly that's just nonsense Dave.

Do you think Timi Yuro is rarer than Glen Miller on uk Pete ?

Glen Miller does seems to be going up up up price wise with demand. It wouldn't suprise me in a couple of years If old Glen caught Timi up a bit in the money stakes. Who knows - this is all about demand on the Soul Scene pushing the money up again I suppose.

Social source share

Do you think Timi Yuro is rarer than Glen Miller on uk Pete ?

Glen Miller does seems to be going up up up price wise with demand. It wouldn't suprise me in a couple of years If old Glen caught Timi up a bit in the money stakes. Who knows - this is all about demand on the Soul Scene pushing the money up again I suppose.

Mossy, you can check this if you like, I sold Timi Yuro on here, this year, for £400, I bought it for £250. VG+. I don't rate it as a top end rarity, it's just had the price pushed up by morons. Great record mind. Glen Miller was a big record 7 or 8 years ago, that was when it peaked, if it's going up in price now it's because some people are only just catching up with it. And let's face it - Timi Yuro beats it into a cocked hat, quality wise.

Social source share

:boxing: WHAT THE f*** DO I KNOW ABOUT PRICES? AS FOR RARE UK SINGLES THATS DIFFERANT THE FACT IS I HAVE SEEN OR NO THAT THERE ARE MORE MINT TIMI YUROS THEN GLEN MILLERS AND THERE ARE EASY MORE TY IN COLLECTORS HANDS AND FROM MY OWN PERSPECTIVE AND ITS THE SAME FOR ANYONE IF YOU AINT GOT IT AND YOU WANT IT SOMETIMES MONEY DOES NOT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR? AS I HAVE FOUND OUT OVER THE YEARS JUST TRYING TO BUY SOME OF MY FAVOURATE US RECORDS BACK MY ORIGANAL NOLAN CHANCE IS A GOOD EXAMPLE I PAID JOHN ANDERSON £1.75 FOR MY FIRST DEMO IN 74. MY COPY IN MY COLLECTION I BOUGHT OF DAVE WELDING AND IT WAS NOT CHEAP BUT I HAD TO HAVE A COPY BACK IN MY COLLECTION, AS FOR GLEN MILLER I AGREE WITH YOU ON PRICE BUT YOU TRY AND GET A MINT ONE FOR £450?. ANY WAY WE ARE HAPPY IF SOMEONE WANTS MY COPY ITS £1200 ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

:boxing: WHAT THE f*** DO I KNOW ABOUT PRICES? AS FOR RARE UK SINGLES THATS DIFFERANT THE FACT IS I HAVE SEEN OR NO THAT THERE ARE MORE MINT TIMI YUROS THEN GLEN MILLERS AND THERE ARE EASY MORE TY IN COLLECTORS HANDS AND FROM MY OWN PERSPECTIVE AND ITS THE SAME FOR ANYONE IF YOU AINT GOT IT AND YOU WANT IT SOMETIMES MONEY DOES NOT ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR? AS I HAVE FOUND OUT OVER THE YEARS JUST TRYING TO BUY SOME OF MY FAVOURATE US RECORDS BACK MY ORIGANAL NOLAN CHANCE IS A GOOD EXAMPLE I PAID JOHN ANDERSON £1.75 FOR MY FIRST DEMO IN 74. MY COPY IN MY COLLECTION I BOUGHT OF DAVE WELDING AND IT WAS NOT CHEAP BUT I HAD TO HAVE A COPY BACK IN MY COLLECTION, AS FOR GLEN MILLER I AGREE WITH YOU ON PRICE BUT YOU TRY AND GET A MINT ONE FOR £450?. ANY WAY WE ARE HAPPY IF SOMEONE WANTS MY COPY ITS £1200 ph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Do you remember that Jimmy Thomas Parlophone issue I sold you at Keele? Christ that was rare, I haven't seen another one apart from the no centre one Swoz had (with "Bob Crocker" scratched in the run off).

Social source share

Do you remember that Jimmy Thomas Parlophone issue I sold you at Keele? Christ that was rare, I haven't seen another one apart from the no centre one Swoz had (with "Bob Crocker" scratched in the run off).

:lol: YEP I HAVE STILL GOT IT, I GOT A DEMO FROM JOHN AND MALCOMS SHOP £20 DID A GOOD TRADE WITH MICK, YES A JIMMY THOMAS ISSUE THIS MAKES MY POINT JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MONEY SOMETIMES ITS JUST DOWN TO BEING IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME RE:- THE GLEN MILLER SAT ON MY SHELF FOR YEARS AND FOR 5 MINUTES I THOUGHT WHAT DO I NEED IT FOR ITS JUST A SENTAMENTAL RECORED TO ME I DID NOT EVEN CONSIDER THE GOING RATE I JUST PUT MY VALUATION AT THE TIME AND IF YOU HAD NOT ANSWERD IT WOULD HAVE GONE BACK ON THE SHELF :yes: ONCE AGAIN THE JT ISSUE IS TO ME ONE OF THE ALL TIME UK RARE ONES TO HAVE, I REMEMBER BUYING JOHN ANDREWS OF SWOZ FOR£20 STOCK COPY THATS RARE SOLD IT TO MICK AS I HAVE A MINT DEMO, I NO SOME POEPLE WHO WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THAT ONE IN THERE COLLECTION AS IN BOTH DEMO AND STOCK ITS RARE, HOWEVER NOT IN THE SAME LEGUE AS JT BUT CLOSE :D DAVE KIL

Social source share

• 3 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=1088180:date=Jun 4 09, 10:53 AM:name=Pete S)-->

QUOTE (Pete S @ Jun 4 09, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<!--quotec-->Do you remember that Jimmy Thomas Parlophone issue I sold you at Keele? Christ that was rare, I haven't seen another one apart from the no centre one Swoz had (with "Bob Crocker" scratched in the run off).<!--QuoteEnd-->
<!--QuoteEEnd-->

:thumbsup: YEP I HAVE STILL GOT IT, I GOT A DEMO FROM JOHN AND MALCOMS SHOP £20 DID A GOOD TRADE WITH MICK, YES A JIMMY THOMAS ISSUE THIS MAKES MY POINT JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE MONEY SOMETIMES ITS JUST DOWN TO BEING IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME RE:- THE GLEN MILLER SAT ON MY SHELF FOR YEARS AND FOR 5 MINUTES I THOUGHT WHAT DO I NEED IT FOR ITS JUST A SENTAMENTAL RECORED TO ME I DID NOT EVEN CONSIDER THE GOING RATE I JUST PUT MY VALUATION AT THE TIME AND IF YOU HAD NOT ANSWERD IT WOULD HAVE GONE BACK ON THE SHELF :lol: ONCE AGAIN THE JT ISSUE IS TO ME ONE OF THE ALL TIME UK RARE ONES TO HAVE, I REMEMBER BUYING JOHN ANDREWS OF SWOZ FOR£20 STOCK COPY THATS RARE SOLD IT TO MICK AS I HAVE A MINT DEMO, I NO SOME POEPLE WHO WOULD LOVE TO HAVE THAT ONE IN THERE COLLECTION AS IN BOTH DEMO AND STOCK ITS RARE, HOWEVER NOT IN THE SAME LEGUE AS JT BUT CLOSE :) DAVE KIL

My John Andrews demo just went for £414 on Ebay !!!!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I wonder if Lyn Taitt or family members have any spare copys of this 45? whistling.gif

Lynn Taitt lives in Canada, he'd have to have bloody good eyesight to see all the way to Mo' Bay from there....laugh.gif

Social source share

My John Andrews demo just went for £414 on Ebay !!!!

boxing.gif Is it me Pete, well it cant be as £400+ speaks for itself, but when it comes down to prices for rare UK 45,s why do I think that's cheap? for this record, or am I to sentimental when it comes to real hard to buy records, as my DEMO is mint - , and its better than Roy's, and he thinks the same as me why sell this one and who to..like the GM i like to know were records land up, and do the buyers of rare records truly understand what a rare record is? well done i know that you are happy with the sale and that's what counts at the end of the dayph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (mossy @ May 28 09, 01:51 AM) Someone get a scan up then ! This is interesting stuff !

I wonder if Lyn Taitt or family members have any spare copys of this 45? whistling.gif

There's a third possible problem Pete - just imagine the crowd of people coming forward with their copies of "In The Mood" or "Pensylvania 6-5-000"!

Oops - sorry, Minit got in there before me!!!!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert