Should All Dj`s Get Paid For Their Spots?

Surely you aren't saying you are one of these young collectors? biggrin.gif

36 is a fair age. As it happens you are not that much younger than me. :)

Not as good lookin' either :D

Social source share

• Replies 189
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I think this is an interesting thread, pages ago someone commented that there really aren't professional DJ's within the soul scene, as in those that make there sole income from it. I would have thought that would be simply because the 45's are so expensive to aquire that you need a day job!

I've worked here in Australia as a professional DJ for over a decade now and I could live on what I make and do but I take bookings playing x-over and 70's soul in fancy restaurants as well as dance floor nights, though I still need a day job to buy the records that pay my rent. And lets face it, I'd be buying the records regardless...

Within the northern scene here no one gets paid, the money goes back into the next event and the costs to run nights. The dj's that play are collectors, most wouldn't own decks at home and so at nights you can be assured to here plenty of slip mat and pauses between records, which is fine. No one expects to be paid they are just happy to play some tunes.

Keb Darge is one DJ I can think of that crossed over to a full time paid DJ and he did it with funk.

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Kev is renowned around these parts for his room clearing ability 'tis quite true :D

BTW what kind of a pathetic excuse for a DJ gets asked to do a 22 1/2 minute spot? ph34r.gif:) Without payment!

You :D:D:lol:laugh.gif:lol:

Edited by BigPaul
Social source share

Guest Beeks

Surely you aren't saying you are one of these young collectors? :)

36 is a fair age. As it happens you are not that much younger than me. :shhh:

Er no Joan...I wasn't referring to me...as you can see by my post I referred to your comment about people in their 20s?

You know what Joan...I really was going to make an effort to bury the hatchet with you(and not in your head)

But you really are a little poisoned dwarf...it's nice to know my good judge of character seems to be working fine :thumbsup:

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Er no Joan...I wasn't referring to me...as you can see by my post I referred to your comment about people in their 20s?

You know what Joan...I really was going to make an effort to bury the hatchet with you(and not in your head)

But you really are a little poisoned dwarf...it's nice to know my good judge of character seems to be working fine :thumbsup:

:shhh:

Social source share

Beeks your taste in Footy teams is good but your a very bad judge of people based on this post. Opinions like this won't win you any respect or friends I'm affraid

Social source share

Guest Beeks

:shhh:

Whatever Joan...plenty more people out there who don't insist on making little digs at every opportunity and pretending to be civil...i'll just enjoy the company of people who have one face rather than two...good luck to you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Beeks your taste in Footy teams is good but your a very bad judge of people based on this post. Opinions like this won't win you any respect or friends I'm affraid

Ged to be honest mate I don't give a flying f**k what reputation she has...i'm not wasting my time in getting to know someone who has obviously taken a disliking to me from the start...i've met plenty of people on this scene who I have a lot of time for so i'm not wasting breath and effort on someone who insists on belittling my opinion at every opportunity...end of story

Social source share

Just cut the grass, been to B&Q for some plants, beautiful Malva, Laurentina, Pontentilla, a beautiful Orchid, a new giant gnome to go with the other three, painted the fence and just about to watch Chelsea V Sunderland on Sky then we are gonna get the barbie going and guess what not a cross word allday and I hate gardening...keep the faith.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Just cut the grass, been to B&Q for some plants, beautiful Malva, Laurentina, Pontentilla, a beautiful Orchid, a new giant gnome to go with the other three, painted the fence and just about to watch Chelsea V Sunderland on Sky then we are gonna get the barbie going and guess what not a cross word allday and I hate gardening...keep the faith.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

:shhh::thumbsup: Nice one Mr Bicknell

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

You wouldn't know an antirrhiinum from a myosotis!! I certainly can't remember seeing you at the Chelsea Flower Show in 1978.

Your post is just a plant to divert attention from that rather unexpected contratemps that just broke out.

Clare is seeing to the bulbs she bought recently. Most of them are on their last stems as far as I can see.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

How long you been into gardening then?

Go to any good garden centres? B&Q is local but I find they always have the same old plants and the staff are just in it for the money and don't know their stuff.

Gnome? Is it plastic or original concrete? Hope it's not one of those modern gnomes with a cartoon face.

If you could approach a green-fingered neighbour to tend your garden, would you pay them? Even if they loved gardening?

Enjoy the barbie Mark. (original or gas? Surf or turf? Bottles or cans?)

Social source share

How long you been into gardening then?

Go to any good garden centres? B&Q is local but I find they always have the same old plants and the staff are just in it for the money and don't know their stuff.

Gnome? Is it plastic or original concrete? Hope it's not one of those modern gnomes with a cartoon face.

If you could approach a green-fingered neighbour to tend your garden, would you pay them? Even if they loved gardening?

Enjoy the barbie Mark. (original or gas? Surf or turf? Bottles or cans?)

Bollocks lol

Mark Bicknell

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Bollocks lol

Mark Bicknell

Mark, I'll have to come and inspect your borders biggrin.gif

1. Where have all the flowers gone
  2. Green grow the lilies
  3. I'll pick a rose for my rose
Plus my beans, peas, spinach, radish, lettuce are all coming on nicely - having grown them from seed. The tomato plants are flowering and my phlox were 20p each on the bargain rack at B&Q...and you should see my thyme....

Thyme, it takes thyme :huh::huh:

PS. I always sort out expenses beforehand with a promoter...if I choose to do something for 'nowt' then it's down to me. That goes right across the board on this scene and elsewhere...if a promoter decides not to cough up despite the costs being discussed in advance, I unleash the Hounds of Hell and take double the agreed sum in the form of vinyl from their box....simples :D Right, back to the gardening....xx

Social source share

All Dj's should get paid for what work they do especially if it's a packed night

you wouldn't do a mobile disco for free for someone you don't know now would you. that's if you ever are a DJ who does this thing

One question though: How about the folks who seek spots at nights they would be at anyway, hoping that by getting a dj spot, they'll A) get into a venue on the guest list instead of having to pay and also B)get a few quid back to pay for their beer. Should these guys be paid when it was them who asked for a spot if the motivation is to get a free night out?.

I also know collectors who enjoy playing their records at a venue often purely to hear them over a bigger sound system than you would have at home.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Thats a good point Davie :unsure:

How many promoters would give the dj an extra few quid if before the dj waved his fee cos of low numbers g.gif

I have done and would again!

Jayne.x

Social source share

One question though: How about the folks who seek spots at nights they would be at anyway, hoping that by getting a dj spot, they'll A) get into a venue on the guest list instead of having to pay and also B)get a few quid back to pay for their beer. Should these guys be paid when it was them who asked for a spot if the motivation is to get a free night out?.

I also know collectors who enjoy playing their records at a venue often purely to hear them over a bigger sound system than you would have at home.

Jayne.x

Good points...

Ady said that he did not pay djs in the upstairs room at Cleethorpes... If they got free tickets for themself and partner in exchange for playing a set upstairs ( as was the case with djs playing in the soul or nothing room ), i think thats a better deal and they are quids in.. 2 weekend passes are worth more than a dj would get to play a little set in the 3rd room i think....

All this chat about whats right and wrong??? Its up to each promoter and the individual djs to work out a deal.. Be that free entry for guests/ free beers/ cash/ records or something for the weekend.. I have known all these things to be options over the years....

The promoter making plenty cash and using djs that he knows will do it for nothing are a different breed indeed... They smell like something i have found on the bottom of my shoe at times...

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i'd always make sure the dj's that wanted paying get paid, and on the advise of my brother make a note who you pay and how much you pay them (my brother works for HM revenue, the smart one of the family) :lol:

Social source share

Good points...

Ady said that he did not pay djs in the upstairs room at Cleethorpes... If they got free tickets for themself and partner in exchange for playing a set upstairs ( as was the case with djs playing in the soul or nothing room ), i think thats a better deal and they are quids in.. 2 weekend passes are worth more than a dj would get to play a little set in the 3rd room i think....

All this chat about whats right and wrong??? Its up to each promoter and the individual djs to work out a deal.. Be that free entry for guests/ free beers/ cash/ records or something for the weekend.. I have known all these things to be options over the years....

The promoter making plenty cash and using djs that he knows will do it for nothing are a different breed indeed... They smell like something i have found on the bottom of my shoe at times...

Totally agree Steve. I hope I've always shown appreciation for those who've wanted to attent any night we put on, either as a DJ or a paying customer.

We were lucky enough to have a group of local soul fans who supported Bury and helped promote it because they wanted the night to do well in their home town, a couple of spots a year & free admission was all that they wanted in return. I did offer many times to pay up but my offer wasn't wanted. guys like that deffo made it a team effort and we were all happy. :lol:

Surely anyone who tries to take the piss, planning to use certain DJ's because they'll do it for nowt wouldn't last long anyway....

Jayne.x

Social source share

Fact: Old Soul records are the most expensive records to dj with :lol: .

Fact: Rave/Techno/Electro records are really cheap :lol: .

Fact: Most Soul DJ`s get a handshake, free drinks and a tenner for the taxi :thmbdn: .

Fact: Techno DJ gurus get 1.000+ a night :) .

Why? I don`t know :huh: .

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

someone who dj's but doesn't go to venues to enjoy other folks music.....will never have the vibe.....records are not enough.Thats why some fellas bomb at one venue or another.....they think havin tunes is all it takes.........if a person has a good VIBE for the music he will be asked and a lot of the time will dj just for the fun of it......tezza

Don't get me wrong! I also like to Dance, and go to a lot of venues, in Europe! But I can tell you this, when I'm on the Decks, the floor is full all night :lol:

Social source share

We only invite people who are able to add sth musically to a night at the Hip City. So if we feel the need to invite a certain DJ he definitely is worth getting paid and cared for. Simple as that really.

Marc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

================================================================================

======

Well Marc you certainly know how to look after your DJ,s mate that i can vouch for

you made me very welcome and very very drunk :lol:

Social source share

Don't get me wrong! I also like to Dance, and go to a lot of venues, in Europe! But I can tell you this, when I'm on the Decks, the floor is full all night :lol:

I have never been to any events outside the UK, any chance you could post up your playlist please?

Would be interesting to find out what fills the floor where you are.

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

I have never been to any events outside the UK, any chance you could post up your playlist please?

Would be interesting to find out what fills the floor where you are.

JUST ONE OF THE PLAY LIST'S

THE FASCINATIONS - GIRLS ARE OUT TO GET YOU

OLLIE & THE NIGHTINGALES - GIRL, YOU HAVE MY HEART SINGING

BARBARA GREENE - ''Â SHOULD HAVE TREATED YOU RIGHT''

BARBARA MERCER - '' HEY!!''

TINA BRITT - THE REAL THING

KIM WESTON - HELPLESS

THE DYNETTES - NEW GUY

THE VIBRATING VIBRATIONS - SURPRISE PARTY FOR BABY

RODGER COLLINS - SHE'S LOOKING GOOD

JACKIE LEE - YOUR PERSONALITY

THE MIRACLES - ''WHOLE LOT OF SHAKIN'' IN MY HEART

THE INTRUDERS - (You'd Better) CHECK YOURSELF

ISLEY BROTHERS - TAKE SOME TIME OUT FOR LOVE

STEVIE WONDER - AIN'T THAT ASKING FOR TROUBLE

MARVIN GAYE - ONE MORE HEARTACHE

MARTHA REEVES AND THE VANDELLAS - I'M READY FOR LOVE

GLADYS KNIGHT & THE PIPS - JUST WALK IN MY SHOES

BILLY SHA-RAE - I'M GONE

AARON NEVILLE - WHY WORRY

THE STEVE KARMEN BIG BAND Featuring JIMMY RADCLIFFE - BREAKAWAY - Part One

SOUL SURVIVORS - EXPLOSION in your soul

JR. WALKER & THE ALL STARS - SHOTGUN

DON GARDENER - MY BABY LIKES TO BOOGALOO

HOW THAT?

Social source share

Guest drifter

OLLIE & THE NIGHTINGALES - GIRL, YOU HAVE MY HEART SINGING

BARBARA GREENE - ''Â SHOULD HAVE TREATED YOU RIGHT''

BARBARA MERCER - '' HEY!!''

TINA BRITT - THE REAL THING

KIM WESTON - HELPLESS

THE DYNETTES - NEW GUY

RODGER COLLINS - SHE'S LOOKING GOOD

JACKIE LEE - YOUR PERSONALITY

THE MIRACLES - ''WHOLE LOT OF SHAKIN'' IN MY HEART

ISLEY BROTHERS - TAKE SOME TIME OUT FOR LOVE

STEVIE WONDER - AIN'T THAT ASKING FOR TROUBLE

MARVIN GAYE - ONE MORE HEARTACHE

MARTHA REEVES AND THE VANDELLAS - I'M READY FOR LOVE

BILLY SHA-RAE - I'M GONE

AARON NEVILLE - WHY WORRY

SOUL SURVIVORS - EXPLOSION in your soul

HOW THAT?

hi , your dj diary must be fully booked up for many months - you would go down well at some of the soul nights around the northants area :rolleyes:

Social source share

BILLY SHA-RAE - I'M GONE

HOW THAT?

All my favs at one time or another..

Not that different to the UK. A jolly fine mixture for me. :thumbup:

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

hi , your dj diary must be fully booked up for many months - you would go down well at some of the soul nights around the northants area :thumbup:

Hi, No not quite! I'm only Dj'n at the Amsterdam Soul Club, at da moment, and a bit of Dutch radio, and internet radio! I'ld love to go and do more gigs! but it's not what you know, it's who you know!!!

Social source share

Hi, No not quite! I'm only Dj'n at the Amsterdam Soul Club, at da moment, and a bit of Dutch radio, and internet radio! I'ld love to go and do more gigs! but it's not what you know, it's who you know!!!

I suppose that is true to a certain extent.

That said, your choice of tunes would not get a full dance floor at the venues I go to.

But hey ho... there are plenty out there that would lap up your plays with gusto.

Good luck to you!

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

I suppose that is true to a certain extent.

That said, your choice of tunes would not get a full dance floor at the venues I go to.

But hey ho... there are plenty out there that would lap up your plays with gusto.

Good luck to you!

As I said, that is just 1 of my play list's! Not the best one, by far!

Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

I was talking to a dj friend of mine who guested at a venue, when i asked him if he spent his "wages" on more records, he said he didnt get paid, i asked why and he replied dont know, he didnt get his fuel paid or free drinks all nite instead. I was just wondering, all you promoters out there, do you think if someone is asked to guest at your venue, travels to your venue, packs the floor for the whole hour do you think they should get paid even if its just to cover their fuel costs!, records are expensive, we want OVO at our venues so dont you think its only fair that these DJ`s get paid??

I thought I'd posted on this thread, as there was a similar one a while back but as I'm bored and staying in on a Saturday night, I've been doing some catching up.

I totally agree that if you book a DJ, you pay them, you wouldn't ask a workman to come and do work in your house, then not pay them...:ohmy:

Tough it you don't cover you money but if you do do it for the money, maybe you're in the wrong game...:laugh:

I also agree a fee in advance for Main Room DJ's, it just seems to be the right thing to do...:yes:

The Freestyle Room, however, is a different kettle of fish but one that is well explained beforehand...

It's is a place where anyone who wants a spot, will be given one. Everyone is welcome.

You do have to ask if you wanna play in there and Sean and Joan you would both be two DJ's I would more than love to ask me but I know where you are coming from...:wink:

It is my little baby and as such have been blown away by the success and the calibre of DJ's who want to play their wears.

The is no fee paid but a free pass for the DJ and a guest...thumbsup.gif

And lastly, is there really a venue that attracts 1,000 punters, oh I wish...:laugh:

Social source share

Well............ seeing as you're asking! :yes:

I'd happily give it a go!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Yeh Sean the closest thing to Clifton hall ever is Rugby only no balcony,and i'm on at the next one :lol: even get some of the old Rotherham punters turn out for this,and the promotors are top notch.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert