Should All Dj`s Get Paid For Their Spots?

I do miss Sunday Snug....................that reminds me BB still owes me a Gene Toones :thumbup::wicked:

Oh and I forgot, you didn't pay us for allowing you to DJ at Blue Skies and as you did two sets that will be double..................mine's a vodka :ohmy:

QoFxx

'tis true Chrissie - mind you i double decked with Martin at the end so i guess that makes 3 sets...can you drink that much vodka? PML

Social source share

• Replies 189
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

'tis true Chrissie - mind you i double decked with Martin at the end so i guess that makes 3 sets...can you drink that much vodka? PML

.....need you ask :thumbup:

Just bring a bottle to the Statton Cottage pre/after Groovesville party in July and I will write off the debt :wicked::ohmy:

QoFxx

Social source share

Must admit that I haven't read all the comments, but I think it's manners to agree a price or such beforehand. For what it's worth, here's my feelings:

Anyone that organises a soul night/allniter must know what their venue hire, equipment hire, flyer printing, website hosting, mailouts, postage, advertising, spare sylus', etc - will cost. Surely they can budget a DJ or six. :thumbup: . If not, let them know it's a freebie before the night runs.

It's not hard to ask certain dj professionals what they charge ....and others may not set a price but you're best telling them what you'll pay (if anything).

Some nights make money, then you lose money on other nights through no fault of the guest djs (even when people attending think it went well) - so be prepared to have your wallet handy!

Overall, it's human nature that you won't be disappointed if you know what you're getting beforehand, so why not agree or offer a price beforehand?

DJ's are people after all - treat them with respect instead of as some booking agent. It helps if you know what they play and trully want them there because you love their taste, rather than treating them like a machine or some hero. Everyone knows that the soul scene doesn't receive the same income as some dj scenes, else they'd be charging thousands for the night and dj'ing as a career.

...Believe in what you do, but be sensible and organised. Life's too short - otherwise spend it on the dancefloor instead :wicked:

m

Social source share

We only invite people who are able to add sth musically to a night at the Hip City. So if we feel the need to invite a certain DJ he definitely is worth getting paid and cared for. Simple as that really.

Marc

Damn it Marc - I was trying hard not to be touchy feel-y in my post

...you're such a girl :wicked:

(but oh - you're so right :thumbup: )

m

Edited by Maria O
Social source share

Guest LWJ2

I promote a night in Cambridge we offer the guest dj the same fee....if we have a good night we will give them a bit extra but the agreed fee is part the costs .Not only that we dont do it for the money we just do it to the get the music out there and to have a good night out ! ,we (The Alley Club)have lost a bit of money on certain nights but the guest dj always gets paid the agreed fee !

When i dj elsewhere i just really enjoy it and i am quite chuffed to be asked but its nice to get my travel costs covered but to me its not the most important thing

Edited by LWJ2
Social source share

Guest swoz

i did wonder if it was because he was showcasing and the promoters were doing him a favour by allowing him a spot, but then i thought..no, he was asked, he packed the floor, he should have got paid!

PAY THE DJ, IT'S THE DJ WHO MAKES THE VENUE, NOT THE VENUE THAT MAKES THE DJ.

SWO :thumbup:

Social source share

:ohmy: HI ALL

ITS BECOME VERY CLEARE TO MYSELF MANY YEARS AGO, THAT IF YOU BROWN NOSE THE ESTABLISHED TOP TEIR OF THE RARE SOUL SCENE, AND I SAY THAT WITH THE GREATEST OF RESPECT TO THE GUYS WHO PIONIERED THE SCENE, YOU GET ASKED TO DO A GEUST SPOT :lol: SOME TIMES IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF WHEN I LOOK AT SOME OF THE DJ,s WHO GET ASKED TO DJ. AS I KNOW THE PROMOTOR/S GIVE THE UNDER CARD SPOTS TO THE GUYS WHO SPEND THE MOST CASH WITH THEM ON RECORD DEALS OR THEY ARE GUYS THAT AT THIS MOMENT HAVE THE RIGHT TUNES? :wicked: THIS IS HOW & WHY 7ts NITES GOT STARTED AS THE RARE UK/US RECORDS BELONGED IN THE HANDS OF THE TOP DEALERS AND COLLECTORS AS SUCH NEW BLOOD TO THE SCENE PICKED UP ON THE MORE AFORDABLE 7ts STUFF, AS ANYONE NEW TO THE SCENE JUST COULD NOT AFFORED TO HAVE A LARG SOUL COLLECTION THESE DAYS, A FEW YEARS AGO I COULD HAVE BOUGHT MY MATES WHOLE REGGAE COLLECTION FOR 90K,I COULD ONLY RAISE 50K MYSELF AND AS SUCH MISSED OUT, INSTANTLY OVER NIGHT I COULD HAVE BEEN THE MAIN REGGAE MAN, THESE OPPERTUNITIES ONLY COME ONCE OR TWICE IN YOUR LIFE.MY PIONT IS WITH THE COLLECTION I WOULD BE PULLING THE STRINGS ON THAT SCENE, I AM GLAD I DID NOT BUY THE COLECTION AS IT WOULD HAVE GONE AGAINST MY IDEALISTIC VALUES AND COMPAIRED TO MY SOUL COLLECTION IT WOULD NOT OF BEEN APPRECIATED AS I KNOW MY RECORDS INSIDE OUT AND WITH THE PRE 8ts NORTHERN ALL THE RECORDS I CAN PLACE AS A TORCH, WHEEL MECCA WIGAN SOUND ALSO IN MOST CASES I NO WHO PLAYED THEM FIRST, IT ALSO MEANS I AM GETTING OLD :thumbup: AS A COLECTORE OF RARE RECORDS (SOUL & JAMACAN)I AND SOME PEOPLE LIKE MYSELF WOULD APPRECIATE A GEST SPOT NOW AND AGAIN IF ONLY TO PLAY OLD STUFF TO NEW EARS..

TO CONCLUDE LETS SUPPORT OUR LOCAL COLLECTORS AND GIVE THEM SPOTS AND NOT TO THE SAME GUYS WHO OWN 400 RECORDS BUT HAVE TONS OF CDs AS A COLLECTION BAH HUM BUG I HERE YOU SAYING? IF YOU PUT THE TOP 10 COLLECTORS IN THE WOLVES AREA ALONE WE PROBERLY HAVE GOT MOST OF THE RARE RECORDS, NOW AND AGAIN I MAY SEE JOHN PUGHS NAME AND HARPOS BUT NEVER SEE ROYS, ROBS, OR EVEN MYSELF ON THE DJ LIST, THE PROMOTORS MUST BE SCARED OR WE SMELL :D DAVE KIL

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Slightly off topic, purely as a punter and just an observation.

There does seem to be a hell of a lot of DJs on this scene.

Regards

Paul

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

How anyone can ask a promoter for a spot is totally beyond me.

Don't you feel embarrassed?

Jeez, I am cringing just thinking about it.

I get asked a lot , usually in the form of " when you having me on then ?" and the thing is for us the MOST important thing about us booking Dj's is that they "get it" and usually rhe people who ask for spots don't get it

Social source share

How anyone can ask a promoter for a spot is totally beyond me.

Don't you feel embarrassed?

Jeez, I am cringing just thinking about it.

Must agree with you Joan.

:thumbsup:

Only ever got close to doing that the one time.

Told a guy I'd help him out and DJ his gig if needed...

... but he promptly said "no thank's, we're well sorted!" :thumbup:

Never again!

Sean

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Must agree with you Joan.

Only ever got close to doing that the one time.

Told a guy I'd help him out and DJ his gig if needed...

... but he promptly said "no thank's, we're well sorted!" :thumbup:

Never again!

Sean

Playing devils advocate yet again...this whole 'asking for gig smacks of desperation' take on things is totally wrong imho...it is exactly this 'insular' opinion that ensures the influx of new blood onto the scene is tempered considerably...after all...just how are DJs that are not familiar names able to get gigs unless they ask a promoter to take a chance on them? If these such DJs waited around to be asked to play for them...based on the fact they havn't had spots before...then they would be waiting a very long time indeed considering the saturation of established DJs on the scene already...from a promoters point of view it would be far easier to ask someone established to play for them and guarentee a 'pull' than ask someone who is less established...I am positive there are lots of collectors out there who would love to play out...and have probably got better records than a lot of the established DJ names on the circuit...yet will never get invited to play anywhere!

Social source share

Playing devils advocate yet again...this whole 'asking for gig smacks of desperation' take on things is totally wrong imho...it is exactly this 'insular' opinion that ensures the influx of new blood onto the scene is tempered considerably...after all...just how are DJs that are not familiar names able to get gigs unless they ask a promoter to take a chance on them? If these such DJs waited around to be asked to play for them...based on the fact they havn't had spots before...then they would be waiting a very long time indeed considering the saturation of established DJs on the scene already...from a promoters point of view it would be far easier to ask someone established to play for them and guarentee a 'pull' than ask someone who is less established...I am positive there are lots of collectors out there who would love to play out...and have probably got better records than a lot of the established DJ names on the circuit...yet will never get invited to play anywhere!

But why the big need to DJ at all?

Social source share

Slightly off topic, purely as a punter and just an observation.

There does seem to be a hell of a lot of DJs on this scene.

Regards

Paul

well everyone - apart from you :thumbup: .

Don't see a problem with folk asking to do a spot...............its the polite "No Thanks" that's the arkward moment.

If you don't take youself too seriously its no problem,,,

Social source share

Guest Beeks

But why the big need to DJ at all?

I don't know Joan...some people enjoy it...you obviously do...so why do you feel the need to DJ?

Personally...having DJed half my life...for me it's about sharing my taste in music :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

maybe a rule should be applied to Dj's and would-be politicians ...." If you want to be one you are excluded from being one "

Social source share

I don't know Joan...some people enjoy it...you obviously do...so why do you feel the need to DJ?

Personally...having DJed half my life...for me it's about sharing my taste in music :thumbup:

I don't feel any need to DJ what so ever Beeks. I don't consider myself a DJ. Never have. Never will.

Every once in a while I do get asked to do a spot and I would like to think I do a good job.

That said, it honestly wouldn't bother me if I never DJ'd again.

I get my buzz on the dance floor. It's where I am happiest and that's what it's all about for me.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I don't feel any need to DJ what so ever Beeks. I don't consider myself a DJ. Never have. Never will.

Every once in a while I do get asked to do a spot and I would like to think I do a good job.

That said, it honestly wouldn't bother me if I never DJ'd again.

I get my buzz on the dance floor. It's where I am happiest and that's what it's all about for me.

Ahhh but you do DJ Joan...and from what i've heard you are a pretty good one too...but you're right...you've hit it on the head...to be a successful DJ you have to have a feel for the floor that can only come from getting on it yourself...

As for me...whatever genre i've played out with...and my music taste is that eclectic I can honestly say that i've spanned a lot of musical boundaries in my years...it's always been about sharing my taste...I enjoy putting people onto new music...I get a buzz from people asking me about records that perhaps they might seek out themselves...I'm not into Djing for money or fame because in the big picture of things...if I wanted that I would have carried on spinning in other far more lucrative genres where the DJ really IS put on a pedestal...i'll never be fatboy slim and making a decent living from it...has always been a bit of fun and pocket money for a night out

some people might be happy to just collect records and not share...others want to DJ for the right/wrong reasons...whatever people want to do it's their choice...different strokes for different folks

Going back to my original point...so many DJs you see here playing the same 'top 500' oldies getting regular paid work...yet a lot of the lesser known but more knowledgable about the 'current' soul scene (ive spoken to a few!) seem to struggle to get regular gigs...it seems that being progressive is a negative trait at times

I like the fact that places like Rugby and other such forward thinking promoters give new/upcoming DJs the chance to be heard (And not just because i'm playing the next one) I've heard so many great records played in that freestyle room from great DJs you might never have heard of who could honestly put a lot of 'main room' DJs to shame...suppose it puts things in perspective

Anyway i'm rambling completely off topic :thumbup:

Social source share

Anyway i'm rambling completely off topic :(

Not like you Beeks! :rolleyes:

:lol:

Hear what you're saying about someone wanting a break and asking for a spot might be the only way in. Just wouldn't want to do that personally and never found a need to ask.

I guess it must be a lot harder these days to break in than it was in the early 70's. Back then, very few people 'had the records' (and the spunk & application to go with it). As a youngsta, I had plenty of both :lol:

Nowadays, most folk have built up a bit of a collection, have grown up (and grown old) and many of them fancy giving it a go. So yes, I do see your point and fair play to them.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

I understand there are people out there who crave the limelight and want to DJ.

But, and I don't mean any disrespect when I say this, are they bringing anything new or different to the table?

Because let's face it, there are a whole glut of DJ's already out there and some of them do a damn good job.

That said, there are those who are not good at all and do we really need any more of those?

Social source share

Often if an event goes tits up numbers wise then the DJ is often the first line of deffence when it comes to paying up or cutting corners, the problem is that most people know each other pretty well and sometimes use the friendship card as a way to short change you and this often works, I've lost count over the years of every excuse in the book to under pay or not pay at all and be honest most of us swallow it, I try to agree a fee before taking the booking and most of the time stick to that fee, however money has never been my motivation to DJ but it's nice to cover expences at the very least, as for asking for spots well sometimes if you don't ask you don't get by the same token if you can still cut the mustard and make a contribution musically then I can't see a problem in doing a bit of PR and self promotion to get a few gigs, those that ask who can't cut the mustard lies the problem with this one.

I've worked for pretty much all the major promoters over the years most of which are straight up people, recently got back into doing a few gigs including a visit to the 100 Club back in March, in all the years I've known Ady I can honestly say that when he's asked me to do the 100 Club, Cleethorpes etc. that we have never talked money but without fail he alway's slaps a few quid in my palm which more than covers exspences, travel, a shandy etc. still Ady is a top bloke and alway's covers his costs including the DJ's, the thing to remember is when costing an event you simply have to include the DJ cost as an exspence and pay it even if there is a short fall in numbers through the door, promoting is a risk and part of the deal is to cover all expences, if an event cost a thousand quid to put on including DJ's then make sure you go into the promotion with that sum in your back pocket then there will be no short full on the night as everyone get's paid as it should be, if there is a loss then that should be down to the promoter not the DJ.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest Beeks

Absolute complete and utter bollocks.

:rolleyes: As tactful as ever Dave!

You've just got a good ear that's all mate :(

Besides...I bet you cut the rug a few times in your youth...now you're just an old miserable bastard wink.gif

Edited by Beeks
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I understand there are people out there who crave the limelight and want to

99% of them , and if they say it's not they're a liar

Social source share

Guest Beeks

are they bringing anything new or different to the table?

Not necessarily Joan no...but what they are doing is continuing the tradition so that in another 20 years this scene won't be dead in the water and for that reason alone they should be encouraged and not derided

Social source share

Absolute complete and utter bollocks.

I'm with Dave on this one Beeks sorry mate, although I've been known to dip my hips from time to time, from a DJ perspective half the battle is to feel the passion and vibe from within, you can feel the music in the same way if you simply just want to tap your toe or go mental on the dance floor, the good dancer makes a good DJ is not alway's the case sorry, then of course what if you are a shit dancer oh dear.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

Not necessarily Joan no...but what they are doing is continuing the tradition so that in another 20 years this scene won't be dead in the water and for that reason alone they should be encouraged and not derided

Hmmm, that might be true if the people you were talking about were in their 20s. But the majority are not. They are old. :rolleyes:

Also, without DJ's bringing something new and different to the table the scene is dead in the water anyway.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Hmmm, that might be true if the people you were talking about were in their 20s.

To be honest that was the age group I was referring to...not sure what it's like around the rest of the country but there are quite a few young collectors in manc :rolleyes:

Social source share

Well i'm doing a 22 and a half minute spot on Sunday(is it double time? unsure.gif ).

So i would like, nay ,demand payment :( .What's the going rate for 22and a half minutes these days Beeks?.

After all i think i am a DJ,therefore i am. :rolleyes:

Also anyone who needs the room clearing at the end of the night - look no further.Gone are the days of hiring Bouncers to "help" people out of the door.

Just hire me...Kev "Bouncer" Holmes.(DJ/Bouncer).

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

I never got paid for DJing the Sunday Snug...mind you i did seem to take the decks over all afternoon/evening and i did win a Mr Potato Head in the darts competition....and i did make Kenny dance to 'Scratchy' and some loser kid asked me when the last time i washed my hair was, Ady spilling nigh on all his Guiness; Nick Brown came in and spoilt a suprise, like-minded people on comfy couches sat round late-on talking bollox; soul quiz - ben summers & crew one side - us the other with, secretly, The Rimmer on the end of the phone...these things did not happen at the same 'Snug', but...

i miss the snug...

Ken...sort it out :(wink.gif

and the point being...who wants to be paid for the good times? not me, thats for sure :-)

Hells Bell, Records cost money :rolleyes: When I first started to Dj, a long time ago! I just got free Booze! Don't get me wrong thou! You can pay for good times!!! But It's part of my living mate!

Cheers C.

Social source share

Guest Dj Imod

Hells Bell, Records cost money :rolleyes: When I first started to Dj, a long time ago! I just got free Booze! Don't get me wrong thou! You can pay for good times!!! But It's part of my living mate!

Cheers C.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

someone who dj's but doesn't go to venues to enjoy other folks music.....will never have the vibe.....records are not enough.Thats why some fellas bomb at one venue or another.....they think havin tunes is all it takes.........if a person has a good VIBE for the music he will be asked and a lot of the time will dj just for the fun of it......tezza

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

If you're a D.J. then you're job is to make people dance

but if they're not dancing then you're not doing your job!!!

Dont have to dance to enjoy the music, you are wrong fella. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Well i'm doing a 22 and a half minute spot on Sunday(is it double time? unsure.gif ).

So i would like, nay ,demand payment :lol: .What's the going rate for 22and a half minutes these days Beeks?.

Also anyone who needs the room clearing at the end of the night - look no further.Gone are the days of hiring Bouncers to "help" people out of the door.

Kev is renowned around these parts for his room clearing ability 'tis quite true :D

BTW what kind of a pathetic excuse for a DJ gets asked to do a 22 1/2 minute spot? :lol::( Without payment!

Social source share

So i would like, nay ,demand payment :( .What's the going rate for 22and a half minutes these days Beeks?.

Quality comment :lol:

Social source share

I never got paid for DJing the Sunday Snug...mind you i did seem to take the decks over all afternoon/evening and i did win a Mr Potato Head in the darts competition....and i did make Kenny dance to 'Scratchy' and some loser kid asked me when the last time i washed my hair was, Ady spilling nigh on all his Guiness; Nick Brown came in and spoilt a suprise, like-minded people on comfy couches sat round late-on talking bollox; soul quiz - ben summers & crew one side - us the other with, secretly, The Rimmer on the end of the phone...these things did not happen at the same 'Snug', but...

i miss the snug...

Ken...sort it out biggrin.gif:rolleyes:

and the point being...who wants to be paid for the good times? not me, thats for sure :-)

Me too Dave,wouldnt be the same without BB,Kaz and Carrots though me i'm pretty tallantless except at dancing to scratchy so dont get many bookin's cause i'm rubbish.....................at arse lickin'. :(

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Pete. As you know i used to promote winsford nighters. Everyone from so called superstar to complete unknown DJ,s got the same cash if there was 50 in or 500 punters it dont matter as a promoter you have to honour your comitments: ie Venue hire, bar staff, door staff ,people taking the money on the door, everyone has to be paid. If you lose thats your fault because you have failed as a promoter.

I,ve DJ,ed at various venues all over the country and from a personal point of view i,ve often offered my fee back to people who have had a very poor turnout at there venue, but thats my choice others would take the money again thats there choice.

Steve

Quite an interesting & amusing thread from my viewpoint because of course you're all talking about DJs travelling around on the UK circuit & probably not thinking much about the international Northern Soul scene.

In Australia nobody gets paid (apart from free entry to the do). We all do it for the love of the music and the crack - and we pay shitloads on travelling costs between gigs. OVO also applies.

I'm currently living in France so have had quite a few opportunities to DJ in UK and it always takes me completely by surprise when the promoter or his mate palms an envelope to me with money in it. It always seems like it should be the other way round.

Just another perspective on the subject I suppose...

Cheers............Pete

Social source share

Guest Mart B

So i would like, nay ,demand payment :D .What's the going rate for 22and a half minutes these days Beeks?.

After all i think i am a DJ,therefore i am. :)

Your not on at the towers kev surely not :D ... :D

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

All Dj's should get paid for what work they do especially if it's a packed night

you wouldn't do a mobile disco for free for someone you don't know now would you. that's if you ever are a DJ who does this thing

Social source share

To be honest that was the age group I was referring to...not sure what it's like around the rest of the country but there are quite a few young collectors in manc biggrin.gif

Surely you aren't saying you are one of these young collectors? :D

36 is a fair age. As it happens you are not that much younger than me. :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert