Should All Dj`s Get Paid For Their Spots?

I was talking to a dj friend of mine who guested at a venue, when i asked him if he spent his "wages" on more records, he said he didnt get paid, i asked why and he replied dont know, he didnt get his fuel paid or free drinks all nite instead. I was just wondering, all you promoters out there, do you think if someone is asked to guest at your venue, travels to your venue, packs the floor for the whole hour do you think they should get paid even if its just to cover their fuel costs!, records are expensive, we want OVO at our venues so dont you think its only fair that these DJ`s get paid??

Social source share

• Replies 189
  • Views 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Nik Mak

I was talking to a dj friend of mine who guested at a venue, when i asked him if he spent his "wages" on more records, he said he didnt get paid, i asked why and he replied dont know, he didnt get his fuel paid or free drinks all nite instead. I was just wondering, all you promoters out there, do you think if someone is asked to guest at your venue, travels to your venue, packs the floor for the whole hour do you think they should get paid even if its just to cover their fuel costs!, records are expensive, we want OVO at our venues so dont you think its only fair that these DJ`s get paid??

Of course they should get paid even if you only cover their petrol costs at the very least. I've just this week had to pull out of a gig where the 'promoter' stands to make @ £1500 profit & that's PROFIT! But he wasn't prepared to cover my petrol costs? Incredible! :thumbup: This is a guy who was bragging that he wanted to 'Give back' to the scene? :ohmy: Sometimes a gig doesn't make any money that's when the good nature of most dj's comes into play and most WILL forgo their fee but this shouldn't be a matter of course but agreed between promoter and DJ.

Social source share

i did wonder if it was because he was showcasing and the promoters were doing him a favour by allowing him a spot, but then i thought..no, he was asked, he packed the floor, he should have got paid!

Social source share

Yes but i usually dont take owt if there,s hardly anyone in.

I dj,d 3 times for one well known icon from Wigan and never got a cent,

One of the nites in Maximes with PP Arnold it was packed solid i think it was £12 to get in

i did nearly 2 hours and packed the floor solid did i get paid did i f-ck NEVER AGAIN !!!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

surely thats between the dj and the promoter, if a dj asks to dj at a venue then i would say No, if a dj was asked then its down to the dj and promoter to sort out money personally,

some djs shouldnt get a spot never mind getting paid :thumbup:

Social source share

if the venue is quiet then fair enough, but this venue was PACKED and i mean PACKED, prob over 1000 people in, dont think he`ll be doin it again

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

all dj's should get paid and not only that the fee should be agreed in advance and not dependant on how many show up ....

be funny if they were paid by dancefloor action lolol

Edited by dundeedavie
Social source share

They should get payed even if the promoter is a bit out of pocket because at the end of day the DJ has put the effort in I have put a few do's on in the past and not done well on the door but I have still gave the DJ's there money it's only fair. but having said that some people do it for the love of the music nothing wrong with that its not all about money.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Agree that the best scenario is that fee is agreed before any gig and that it is paid irrespective of numbers through the door. But there are lots of quality DJs that will refuse their fee if they realise that low numbers on the night mean that promoters will be paying them directly out of their own pocket....and as a co-promoter of a new venue playing rare/underplayed sounds I've been grateful for that generosity on a few occasions.

On a personal note I don't care if I get paid or not when I DJ, don't do it for the money and 9/10 I'd be at the venue as a punter anyway! If asked to travel a long distance to DJ then something towards the travel costs is nice but again I'm really not that fussed....

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

why didn't your friend go and see the promoter and ask for his/her money, perhaps the promoter just forgot to pay him/her :thumbup:

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

if the venue is quiet then fair enough, but this venue was PACKED and i mean PACKED, prob over 1000 people in, dont think he`ll be doin it again

Is that 100 or 1,000.. If thats over a thousand and the dj don't get paid then something his very wrong, was he a warm up dj just given an early spot??? whats the venue??? can't be many that get them kind of numbers... Was he/ she playing the main room or some small second/ third room??

Social source share

Yes but i usually dont take owt if there,s hardly anyone in.

I dj,d 3 times for one well known icon from Wigan and never got a cent,

One of the nites in Maximes with PP Arnold it was packed solid i think it was £12 to get in

i did nearly 2 hours and packed the floor solid did i get paid did i f-ck NEVER AGAIN !!!

No disrespect to you but shouldnt you have asked for some money if its packed at the end I know sometimes ya dont want to say anything I have done it myself you feel cheeky asking but at the end of day its your time.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Agree that the best scenario is that fee is agreed before any gig and that it is paid irrespective of numbers through the door. But there are lots of quality DJs that will refuse their fee if they realise that low numbers on the night mean that promoters will be paying them directly out of their own pocket....and as a co-promoter of a new venue playing rare/underplayed sounds I've been grateful for that generosity on a few occasions.

On a personal note I don't care if I get paid or not when I DJ, don't do it for the money and 9/10 I'd be at the venue as a punter anyway! If asked to travel a long distance to DJ then something towards the travel costs is nice but again I'm really not that fussed....

we've had a few refuse the fee in the early days because of numbers but i'm afraid i can't allow that , even if i have to sneak it in their pocket or whatever they WILL get paid .

look at it this way i won't pay them anymore if the venue is jammed , if you're a promoter you gotta bite the bullet

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

we've had a few refuse the fee in the early days because of numbers but i'm afraid i can't allow that , even if i have to sneak it in their pocket or whatever they WILL get paid .

look at it this way i won't pay them anymore if the venue is jammed , if you're a promoter you gotta bite the bullet

Thats a good point Davie :thumbup:

How many promoters would give the dj an extra few quid if before the dj waved his fee cos of low numbers :ohmy:

Social source share

Edited by JELLYBEAN
Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Thats a good point Davie :thumbup:

How many promoters would give the dj an extra few quid if before the dj waved his fee cos of low numbers :D

Couldn't agree more, don't call yourself a promoter if you can't take the knocks or more importantly DON'T put on a gig you can't pay for if no one turns up! & don't expect your dj line up to do the gig at a knock down price just so YOU can make a few quid more. As the promoter it's your job to PROMOTE! :ohmy: End of chat.

Social source share

Putting an event on costs money, room hire, advertising, equipment and DJ's all need and should be paid,

Money made from busy nights should be held back as cover for any quiet nights, if there are no busy nights then maybe it's time to close the doors, or foot the bill, not expect the guest DJ to pay it, why should a promoter break even but a guest DJ pay for the 'pleasure'?

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Totally agree with you Adam, i don't dj for the money either :D and like you would probably be there as a punter anyways, but i have been offered money on three occassions now, and refused to accept it irrespective of how good or bad the attendances were on the night, but having said that i was paid the once, but thats only because Sam Moore forced me to take it when i deejayed for him at Sixhills!! :thumbup::ohmy:

The fact that a promoter as thought about asking me to dj for them in the first place is payment enough for me. :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

it is a more professional enviroment if everyone is paid .... basically if you pay the dj you have a right to expect a professional attitude towards the job at hand , if you don't pay them you have no right to expect anything .

so in essence , it's the promoters job to offer it and the dj's job to accept it

Social source share

it is a more professional enviroment if everyone is paid .... basically if you pay the dj you have a right to expect a professional attitude towards the job at hand , if you don't pay them you have no right to expect anything .

so in essence , it's the promoters job to offer it and the dj's job to accept it

That's the word.

Raises the standards - and keeps them high.

If a DJ decides to waive the fee (for whatever reason) that's up to him - but its only proper to be asked.

Time is money...

...but its also nice to do it for the love!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

But i don't consider it as a job :thumbup:

Social source share

But i don't consider it as a job :thumbup:

Fine, but for some people it is - and that's why they should be asked.

If the DJ then decides not to charge then that's up to the DJ in question.

Would a promoter book a Soul Sam or a Butch for a gig without first considering an appropriate fee?

I think not.

Sean

Social source share

Nail hit squarely on head,my sentiments exactly Adam,see you soon mate

Salmon

Social source share

Fine, but for some people it is - and that's why they should be asked.

If the DJ then decides not to charge then that's up to the DJ in question.

Would a promoter book a Soul Sam or a Butch for a gig without first considering an appropriate fee?

I think not.

Sean

Totally agree Sean about Sam/Butch and arranging a fee in advance etc. Also agree with dundeedave about promoters having available funds to cover all their costs even if nobody turned up.

BUT....how many DJs on the northern scene rely on bookings for income?? Very, very few I suspect so I don't really think you can call it a job for the vast majority of them? Likewise I don't think there are any professional DJs on the northern scene and by that I'm not taking a swipe at quality/standards etc. But IMO a professional DJ would be someone whose main job/source of income is from dj'ing.

Social source share

Nail hit squarely on head,my sentiments exactly Adam,see you soon mate

Salmon

Hi Salmon, look forward to seeing you again mate (mainly cos I'm sure you owe me a drink :thumbup: )....Bidds on Sat?

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I've done freebies before now...but generally just so the promoter knows what he is getting...if you are an unknown entity then it can't do any harm to offer your first gig for the price of a few drinks

I see it as first gig and a promoter hasn't heard you then fine...then after that if they want you on again money has to be involved.

What I HAVE realised is that their isn't much money being a DJ on the soul scene...I was used to getting £150-250 a night DJing in Manchester bars ONLY...seems ironic considering the amount I spend on vinyl these days compared to then :thumbup::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

I'm curious , the people who do gigs for nothing (unless it's for mates birthdays etc) is it because you don't think it's worth payment ? or do you think you're not good enough for payment ?

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Hmmm, you didnt tell me THAT now did you? :yes::Pwink.gif

I'm expecting a few freebies from your good self tomorrow...tis my birthday afterall :D

Social source share

Totally agree Sean about Sam/Butch and arranging a fee in advance etc. Also agree with dundeedave about promoters having available funds to cover all their costs even if nobody turned up.

BUT....how many DJs on the northern scene rely on bookings for income?? Very, very few I suspect so I don't really think you can call it a job for the vast majority of them? Likewise I don't think there are any professional DJs on the northern scene and by that I'm not taking a swipe at quality/standards etc. But IMO a professional DJ would be someone whose main job/source of income is from dj'ing.

Fair comment, but I bet theres also quite a few that can do without a 1/2/300 mile round trip journey to fund, playing for a mate down the road is a bit different to being asked to do some serious travelling only to arrive at a half empty venue and a promoter asking if they can make it up to you next time,

Social source share

I'm expecting a few freebies from your good self tomorrow...tis my birthday afterall :yes:

:D "I want doesn't get Mr! (Birthday Boy or no! tongue.gif ) x

Social source share

I put the odd 'new' DJ on early doors at Back Beat for no fee - but on the understanding that they get themselves and a guest into the allnighter (the rest of the night being all theirs) - and they will be booked later in the year if they can prove their mettle.

I'll do the occaisional freebie for friends trying to get a night off the ground, on the same provision - if the night takes off, book me again for a paying job later in the year.

Lastly, I always accept any charity bookings I get (within reason), because it costs me close to bugger all to do so, on the understanding that others will do the same.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I'm curious , the people who do gigs for nothing (unless it's for mates birthdays etc) is it because you don't think it's worth payment ? or do you think you're not good enough for payment ?

My explanation aside Davie (I don't do THAT many freebies)

I think it's all about 'breaking' the circuit...it's all well and good saying you wouldn't do a gig for free but you...like many stalwarts of the scene have developed a reputation...to gain a reputation you need gigs...to get gigs you need a reputation...vicious circle...so a couple of freebies thrown in leads to paid work if you are relatively unknown...noone will give you gigs if they don't know your records will they? You play out at X venue...you get work at Y venue...that's generally how it works

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

My explanation aside Davie (I don't do THAT many freebies)

I think it's all about 'breaking' the circuit...it's all well and good saying you wouldn't do a gig for free but you...like many stalwarts of the scene have developed a reputation...to gain a reputation you need gigs...to get gigs you need a reputation...vicious circle...so a couple of freebies thrown in leads to paid work if you are relatively unknown...noone will give you gigs if they don't know your records will they? You play out at X venue...you get work at Y venue...that's generally how it works

thats understandable Beeks me old fruit , and it's a good reason indeed and ties in with joe's point .

Social source share

Guest nomad

I often get paid about 3 or 4 records into my set and told to fook off and dont come back laugh.gif

:yes: Nice one Bearsy..your on form tonight thumbup.gif

I got the same pay as Sam when I did a spot for Pep and Helen.....'f' all :D

I think DJs should get paid because that fiver allows me to buy a couple more top sounds :P

Nomad

Social source share

You should always pay the DJs - or at least offer- regardless of the amount of people who come through the door. Have been to (& DJ'd at) quite a few gigs where you can see the promoter nervously pacing the floor knowing full well he may have to dip in his own pocket if the numbers he expected don't turn up.

My take on it is this - the following may need to be done to get your night off the ground,

Venue Hire - Almost certainly paid upfront.

Flyers - Printer has been paid before the event.

Door Staff (if required) - Whose NOT going to pay them.

DJs - Should be paid (as agreed beforehand) regardless of numbers attending.

Of the four ingredients above who is the one whose fee may suddenly become "negotiable" if the night is not a success?

Simple answer is if you cannot fulfill all the criteria above don't bother promoting.

Social source share

Beeks made a good reply to this and for people trying to get more DJ bookings it's a good approach. For me personally...I love the music and I love DJ'ing, I would/could only do one DJ spot a month anyway and the fee from that (say £50) makes no difference to my finances at all, I'd just blow it on the night on (delete as necessary) records/beer/naughty stuff. So as it makes no difference to my finances then it makes no difference to me if I get paid or don't get paid.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Beeks made a good reply to this and for people trying to get more DJ bookings it's a good approach. For me personally...I love the music and I love DJ'ing, I would/could only do one DJ spot a month anyway and the fee from that (say £50) makes no difference to my finances at all, I'd just blow it on the night on (delete as necessary) records/beer/naughty stuff. So as it makes no difference to my finances then it makes no difference to me if I get paid or don't get paid.

naughty stuff??? :D

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

1000 PUNTERS AND NOT GETTING PAID. HE OR THEM ARE TAKING THE PISS, I'D OF CONFRONTED THE GUILTY PARTY AND IF NOT HAD A REASONABLE EXPLANATION I'D OF CHINNED HIM OR THEM REGARDLESS OF RUNNING THE RISK OF RECIEVING A GOOD BATING MYSELF. CANT DO WITH WANKERS WHO TAKE OTHERS FOR IDIOTS.

post-5802-1242935011_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Fair comment, but I bet theres also quite a few that can do without a 1/2/300 mile round trip journey to fund, playing for a mate down the road is a bit different to being asked to do some serious travelling only to arrive at a half empty venue and a promoter asking if they can make it up to you next time,

Pete. As you know i used to promote winsford nighters. Everyone from so called superstar to complete unknown DJ,s got the same cash if there was 50 in or 500 punters it dont matter as a promoter you have to honour your comitments: ie Venue hire, bar staff, door staff ,people taking the money on the door, everyone has to be paid. If you lose thats your fault because you have failed as a promoter.

I,ve DJ,ed at various venues all over the country and from a personal point of view i,ve often offered my fee back to people who have had a very poor turnout at there venue, but thats my choice others would take the money again thats there choice.

Steve

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

In an ideal world we would love to pay our DJ's & ourselves for the everything, unfortunately neither happens. Primarily the reason is our scene here is a lot smaller than the UK's, the venues (if you can find one) are expensive, we have mostly our own equipment which cuts down on hire costs & if we can make the door we're happy, any profit goes to the shortfall & advertising. Furthermore we all pay entry, yes DJ's & all, we've always done it each state, no one complains, well there is one & he's got more money than you can shake a stick at, the reason is that we're all in it to win it. I like many others have travelled to every major soul event here at my own cost to either attend or guest at another venue, that's the way it is, some are lucky that they can tie it in around work trips.

For us it's not about making money, if it was we probably wouldn't get very far & we all understand that.

KTF

Baz

Edited by bazabod_downunder
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert