Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved C/w Do You Believe It - Scepter

Denbo

Jack Montgomery - My Dear Beloved c/w Do You Believe It - Scepter

Yes, the seldom seen mis-titled - MY DEAR BELOVED - for those of you who seek the Rarest-Form of the true Northern Soul classics. A red stock copy of - DEARLY BELOVED - spelled wrong is far-out way of owning this incomparable Detroit double-sider.

This is the description on John Manship's auction for the above titled record.

If you look at the title on the scan of the actual record, it reads 'My Dear Beloved'.

When you listen to the lyrics he clearly sings 'Dear Beloved'.

So, my confusion is this. Where is the incorrect spelling??? :lol:

Edited by denbo
Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yes, the seldom seen miss-titled - MY DEAR BELOVED - for those of you who seek the Rarest-Form of the true Northern Soul classics. A red stock copy of - DEARLY BELOVED - spelled wrong is far-out way of owning this incomparable Detroit double-sider.

If you look at the title on the scan of the actual record, it reads 'My Dear Beloved'.

Yep. Just listened. I'll go with that. Mis-spelt on both?

ROD

Social source share

Yep. Just listened. I'll go with that. Mis-spelt on both?

ROD

:lol: You've confused me even more now Rod. What do you mean? :lol:

As far as I can tell, the record should be titled 'Dear Beloved', because that sounds like what he's singing.

The record is actually titled 'My Dear Beloved'.

So, should we be talking about this record being mis-titled as opposed to mis-spelled? :lol:

In fact, where, if anywhere, does the word 'Dearly' enter into the title, apart from the so-called re-issue / boot copy.

I see the UK release on Soul City has it as 'My Dear Beloved'.

So, the difference then, is literally the inclusion or the absence of the word 'My' in the title.

I'm going to guess it should be titled 'Dear Beloved' and that the mis-titled 'My Dear Beloved' is the rarer of the two and therefore fetches a bigger price. All depending on condition of course.

Am I right. Or have I got it arse about face?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

:lol: You've confused even more now Rod. What do you mean? :lol:

As far as I can tell, the record should be titled 'Dear Beloved', because that sounds like what he's singing.

The record is actually titled 'My Dear Beloved'.

So, should we be talking about this record being miss-titled as opposed to miss-spelled? :lol:

What do you mean "what do you mean"!!

Yep. You're right again. Should be [surely] "Dear Beloved". Not a "My" and no "....ly" I can hear in lyric,so mis-titled yes to be exact.

I guess if it said "Deer Beloved" that would be a mis-spelling.

However I would point out that you've mis-spelt both "miss-spelt" and miss-titled", whilst John has mislabelled "Dearly Beloved" as a mis-spelling when we are both agreed it's a mis-titling error.

Pretty mis-erable effort all round and I don't think I can make it any clearer than that!!

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Yep. You're right again. Should be [surely] "Dear Beloved". Not a "My" and no "....ly" I can hear in lyric,so mis-titled yes to be exact.

However I would point out that you've mis-spelt both "miss-spelt" and miss-titled", whilst John has mislabelled "Dearly Beloved" as a mis-spelling when we are both agreed it's a mis-titling error.

Pretty mis-erable effort all round and I don't think I can make it any clearer than that!!

ROD

you cpuld be mis-taken though

Social source share

ROD

Nice one Rod. Clear as mudd. Or is that mud?

"However I would point out that you've mis-spelt both "miss-spelt" and miss-titled", "

Thought I had. Sorry about that Rod. :lol::lol:

Social source share

ROD

Well, Jack sings "Dear Beloved" , and the backing singers also sing "Dear Beloved", so the two titles are sort of OK, they must have just decided to rename it, don't know which came first though.

All demos have "Dearly Beloved" as the title (don't they?), so it could be that "My Dear Beloved" was a title change at the last minute - Or it could indeed be just a typo.

"My Dear Beloved" is definately harder to come by than the "Dearly Beloved" copies.

Cheers

Mick

Edited by sixtify
Social source share

Yes, the seldom seen mis-titled - MY DEAR BELOVED - for those of you who seek the Rarest-Form of the true Northern Soul classics. A red stock copy of - DEARLY BELOVED - spelled wrong is far-out way of owning this incomparable Detroit double-sider.

Where's the confussion? The song is called "Dearly Beloved" and these are the first two words of the song. All copies of the record should have the song title ie "Dearly Beloved" yet a few were pressed with labels that say "My Dear Beloved" these are as John says mis-titled.

Simple enough to me.

Social source share

Well, Jack sings "Dear Beloved" , and the backing singers sing "Dearly Beloved", so the two titles are sort of OK, they must have just decided to rename it, don't know which came first though.

All demos have "Dear Beloved" as the title (don't they?), so it could be that "My Dear Beloved" was a title change at the last minute - Or it could indeed be just a typo.

"My Dear Beloved" is definately harder to come by than the "Dear Beloved" copies.

Cheers

Mick

So, that confirms what I said in my summary. It's the inclusion versus the absence of the word 'My' that determines it's rarity / value. The word 'Dearly' only seems to appear on the re-issue / boot.

Thanks Mick.

But I can't agree with you that the backing singers sing 'Dearly Beloved'. :lol:

Social source share

Well, Jack sings "Dear Beloved" , and the backing singers sing "Dearly Beloved", so the two titles are sort of OK, they must have just decided to rename it, don't know which came first though.

All demos have "Dear Beloved" as the title (don't they?), so it could be that "My Dear Beloved" was a title change at the last minute - Or it could indeed be just a typo.

"My Dear Beloved" is definately harder to come by than the "Dear Beloved" copies.

Cheers

Mick

I've listened again and backing singers appear to sing "Dear Beloved" and as I mentioned I have a WDJ stating "Dearly beloved" and there are plenty on Popsike.

So good points if not exactly true on both counts.

ROD

Social source share

Where's the confussion? The song is called "Dearly Beloved" and these are the first two words of the song. All copies of the record should have the song title ie "Dearly Beloved" yet a few were pressed with labels that say "My Dear Beloved" these are as John says mis-titled.

Simple enough to me.

Sorry, you're wrong. Listen a bit closer. :lol:

Social source share

So, that confirms what I said in my summary. It's the inclusion versus the absence of the word 'My' that determines it's rarity / value. The word 'Dearly' only seems to appear on the re-issue / boot.

Thanks Mick.

But I can't agree with you that the backing singers sing 'Dearly Beloved'. :lol:

What are you on about!! There is an orig WDJ [at least] titled "Dearly Beloved". Shouldn't you be at work or something?

ROD

Social source share

Thanks Mick.

No the word "Dearly" appears on the original demo and some original issues. Some original issues were labled with the wrong title "My Dear Beloved" and are rarer.

Simples

Social source share

The rarest version is of course titled "Made by red vole" pressed at the Anagram pressing plant in Ohio.

I'd like to add that my copy of "Out on the floor" does not feature any combination of titles under discussion. How do you explain that?

ROD

The anagram pressing plant pressed "out on the floor" not on Charger but on Forte Thou Loon which is very rare indeed

Social source share

Thanks Mick.

Nope, I'm completely wrong. Told you from the start I was confused!!! huh.gif

Printed titles on the label are 'My Dear Beloved' (the rarer of the two) and 'Dearly Beloved'. :P

It's just that the word 'Dearly' is never sung during the whole recording. I think that's what confused me. :lol:

QED. :lol:

Sorry everybody. :wacko:

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I've listened again and backing singers appear to sing "Dear Beloved" and as I mentioned I have a WDJ stating "Dearly beloved" and there are plenty on Popsike.

So good points if not exactly true on both counts.

ROD

Hi Rod

woops - just listened to backing singers, the only sing "Dear Beloved" - sorry about that

The other point I made was that as far as I know, all WDJs are only "Dearly Beloved", which is what you're saying isn't it ?

Cheers

Mick

Edited by sixtify
Social source share

Hi Rod

woops - just listened to backing singers, the only sing "Dear Beloved" - sorr about that

The other point I made was that as far as I know, all WDJs are only "Dear Beloved", which is what you're saying isn't it ?

Cheers

Mick

No Mick Im saying that my WDJ is titled "Dearly beloved"

However out of this shambles we may have stumbled upon a talking point. I've only been through first page results on Popsike but there appears to be NO wdj for "Dear Beloved" so far.

ROD

Social source share

No Mick Im saying that my WDJ is titled "Dearly beloved"

However out of this shambles we may have stumbled upon a talking point. I've only been through first page results on Popsike but there appears to be NO wdj for "Dear Beloved" so far.

ROD

Ignore that. Im confusing myself now.

To sum up the song was originally titled "Dearly beloved" and came out as a WDJ for promotion.

It then was issued as "Dearly beloved" or the rarer "My dearly beloved"

It was never on DJ or issue titled "Dear Beloved"

ROD

Social source share

To sum up the song was originally titled "Dearly beloved" and came out as a WDJ for promotion.

ROD

NEARLY correct Rod.

The only bit you got wrong was on line 2. That should read 'My Dear Beloved'.

Other than that, spot on!!!

Social source share

ROD

Rod

Yes, I now see my second mistake - I meant all WDJ's are "Dearly Beloved" blah blah blah.

I looked at my statement and then yours for about 20 minutes before I clocked it.

I bet this is what happened at the label printers !!!

I've edited my post to put these corrections in

Cheers

Mick

Edited by sixtify
Social source share

ROD

That's not right Rod, there was no "My Dearly Beloved"

Only "My Dear Beloved" and "Dearly Beloved"...

...as I said very much earlier!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

While we're confusing one another with this subject has anyone ever seen a "Dearly Beloved" with a drill hole? or for that matter a "My Dear Beloved" without?

Every copy I've seen of My Dear Beloved has been drilled even the one currently on John's Auction. I wonder if these were drilled before they even left the pressing plant once the error in the title was spotted or if this shows this was the second press so more of this version ended up as remaindered?

Social source share

While we're confusing one another with this subject has anyone ever seen a "Dearly Beloved" with a drill hole? or for that matter a "My Dear Beloved" without?

Every copy I've seen of My Dear Beloved has been drilled even the one currently on John's Auction. I wonder if these were drilled before they even left the pressing plant once the error in the title was spotted or if this shows this was the second press so more of this version ended up as remaindered?

Ok after getting confused earlier with all the variations, let's hope I get this right.

Just pulled mine out for the Third time today - it is ...

"My Dear Beloved" - no drill hole

post-4623-1242923791_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

Guys, guys - I just want to kill myself after reading this thread :tumbleweed3:laugh.gif:thumbup:

I have this one twice as Dearly Beloved on a white promo and as My Dear Beloved on a lovely issue.

I'm pretty sure my MDB issue doesn't have a cut out hole, but I will check.

I have some scans at home on the laptop which show different variations in label design, at least on the promos, in relation to print, catalogue number format etc I think. I will check this out when I'm at home and report back.

As for which side is best - I love Do You Believe It as it's a fairly unusual song and delivery by Jack IMFVHO.

I can entirely understand why someone would auction the My Dear Beloved issue because it is a legend of a record and this is the rarest and most desirable format - I don't think it's about rarity really, it's about how much someone wants it and is prepared to pay - if the answer is potentially lots to both, why not auction it. Leaves the chepaer copies for the sane among us! B)

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I have this one twice as Dearly Beloved on a white promo and as My Dear Beloved on a lovely issue.

I'm pretty sure my MDB issue doesn't have a cut out hole, but I will check.

Cheers

Richard

OK - I just checked and my My Dear Beloved issue does have a drill hole and is in a company bag. But I have a scan of one that doesn't, like the one posted above.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-1242950603_thumb.jpg

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

I have some scans at home on the laptop which show different variations in label design, at least on the promos, in relation to print, catalogue number format etc I think. I will check this out when I'm at home and report back.

Here are a couple of scans showing different label details - I will leave it up to you guys, like a spot the difference :tumbleweed3:

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-1242950792_thumb.jpg

post-12286-1242950810_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Here are a couple of scans showing different label details - I will leave it up to you guys, like a spot the difference :tumbleweed3:

Cheers

Richard

One has a small X in marker the other one has 2 bigger x's

and this thread is more confussing than any IL - JT thread we've had laugh.gif:thumbup:

Edited by mischief
Social source share

OK - I just checked and my My Dear Beloved issue does have a drill hole and is in a company bag. But I have a scan of one that doesn't, like the one posted above.

Cheers

Richard

Cheers Richard,

That scan is the first copy with the "My Dear Beloved" title I can remember seeing without the DH now that is a rare piece IMO.

The IL - JT threads are were not confussing rather they were predictable, tiresome and added nothing to the value of this site but only added to profile of the protagonists, which I think was the idea. :ph34r:

Social source share

Irrespective of which title, or which side of the 45, you gotta admit ol' Marvin's voice has got a quality about it that few could match.

For me it's definitely one that fits into the "Impossible to play to death by overplaying" category, but my additional question is on the UK Kent pressing - are the only promo copies ones that bear the sticker of the promotion company, or are there any printed promo's?

btw Rod, you makes oiy larf

Social source share

Irrespective of which title, or which side of the 45, you gotta admit ol' Marvin's voice has got a quality about it that few could match.

For me it's definitely one that fits into the "Impossible to play to death by overplaying" category, but my additional question is on the UK Kent pressing - are the only promo copies ones that bear the sticker of the promotion company, or are there any printed promo's?

btw Rod, you makes oiy larf

Marvin ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert