Wallie Hawkins & Rose Mccoy

Guest chorleybloke

Guest chorleybloke

Straightforward question here - was it ever released on a 45?

I've had a couple of conflicting pieces of information - 1) one-off acetate 2) released on Beltone

Only appears to be in the hands of a handful of priveleged DJs - any info appreciated.

Cheers..........Pete

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest cenco

I've had a couple of conflicting pieces of information - 1) one-off acetate 2) released on Beltone

Only appears to be in the hands of a handful of priveleged DJs - any info appreciated.

Cheers..........Pete

as far as i know never released, only one beltone acetate i know off, myself and rob thomas found it at rose mccoys house in new jersey in 1999 or 2000

Social source share

Cheers..........Pete

Im most probably totally wrong but not heard of it on 45..first heard it through Rob Thomas / Andy Rix and now Roger Banks..well i think Roger still spins it

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

Im most probably totally wrong but not heard of it on 45..first heard it through Rob Thomas / Andy Rix and now Roger Banks..well i think Roger still spins it

Kinell that wer fast - thanks chaps. Roger spun it at the last Wilton niter.

Cheers.........Pete

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Still think this is one of the best rhythm & soul records i've ever heard at an allnighter. Absolutely awesome. Remember hearing Roger play this, the bonkers instrumental and E.Williams a while back and wondering if you could get better r&b records than that.....

Think the Big Tim & The Empires acetate would have to go in with that little lot as well.

ps. Fairly sure there was a pic of the Beltone Swticharound on an old Capitol flyer from way back when?

Edited by mulf
Social source share

No i think its awesome because her vocal is fantastic and its got a tough driving rhythm & soul backing accompanied by great piano, which just about ticks all the boxes for me with this sort of record. Listen to her voice when she comes back in on the break on top of that guitar lick.....'i got it down baby'......doesn't get any cooler than that.

If it was £20 i'd have bought one ages ago.

Edited by mulf
Social source share

The Beltone acetate was featured on a Scenesville flyer a few years back, when Rob Thomas owned the record.

I agree with mulf: I think it's an awesome record and the kind of rhythm & blues which works really well at a Northern 'nighter.

Social source share

Moving onto another Rob Thomas record (so not completely highjacking the thread :rolleyes: ) whats the story with Keni Lewis 'Shes Not The Marrying Kind'...one of my favorite records ever.....don't know much about it apart from that i heard its Shrine related? Is that correct?

Social source share

As Steve said he found it with Rob in Rose's basement on a USA trip that i didn't go on. I recall Rob called me from the States and played it over the phone and I was knocked out. Personally i think it's a fantastic record to listen to and brilliant to dance to.

It received it's first play at a Bishop Auckland soul night and I think I played it in virtualy every set I did until I stopped DJing. Rob didn't tend to play it much in those days and did give a few people copies including Ady P and Roger. It's good to know it is still getting some spins

There is only one original acetate which I have sitting at home.

The pic on the Scenesvill flyer is actually Wallie Hawkins and Rose Marie McCoy and not just some random people used as fillers.

Hope that helps

Andy

Social source share

As Steve said he found it with Rob in Rose's basement on a USA trip that i didn't go on. I recall Rob called me from the States and played it over the phone and I was knocked out. Personally i think it's a fantastic record to listen to and brilliant to dance to.

It received it's first play at a Bishop Auckland soul night and I think I played it in virtualy every set I did until I stopped DJing. Rob didn't tend to play it much in those days and did give a few people copies including Ady P and Roger. It's good to know it is still getting some spins

The pic on the Scenesvill flyer is actually Wallie Hawkins and Rose Marie McCoy and not just some random people used as fillers.

Hope that helps

Andy

Hi Andy,

Please excuse my ignorance.

So you have the only original acetate that Steve and Rob found in Rose McCoy's basement, and Ady P and Roger have copies?

I love this kind of stuff, I find it really interesting.

Thanks.

Oh, very cool picture. Did they get that from Rose at the same time as the record?

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Hi Andy,

Please excuse my ignorance.

So you have the only original acetate that Steve and Rob found in Rose McCoy's basement, and Ady P and Roger have copies?

I love this kind of stuff, I find it really interesting.

Thanks.

Oh, very cool picture. Did they get that from Rose at the same time as the record?

In a nutshell yes .. they have newly made acetates/carvers or whatever

The pictures came from a later visit to Rose's basement. It really was a treasure trove. I'm sure I wrote something about it at the time that was a Soul Source article .. Record Hunting in the USA or similar .. she is an awesome lady

Andy

Social source share

In a nutshell yes .. they have newly made acetates/carvers or whatever

The pictures came from a later visit to Rose's basement. It really was a treasure trove. I'm sure I wrote something about it at the time that was a Soul Source article .. Record Hunting in the USA or similar .. she is an awesome lady

Andy

Thanks for that Andy.

Going to see if I can find your article, sounds like a good read.

Social source share

Hope that helps

Andy

Hi Andy,

"Give"?....Rob? :thumbsup: must admit, being just a vinyl collector & not a dj I'm not really the best home for this copy, only ever played it once, it really should be in someones play box for everyone to enjoy. It's a record I always associate with you Andy, talking of which, isn't it about time you got back behind a pair of decks ? Perhaps in the Stewartby area ? Problem was, when you dj'd records seemed to start flying around the room, seem to remember having to duck once to avoid a low flying Admirations on Peaches ! :thumbsup:

Ady

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hope that helps

Andy

I was under the impression that roger bought his off Rob believing it was the real one. Thats the story i heard and im sure Roger thinks he has a real one :ohmy:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

"and I have the original acetate of "Marrying Kind" which came Via Rob"

:shades: what a record to own....absolutely one of the best tunes i've ever heard, awesome in every way. Does it have any info on it as to where its from ect?

cheers

J :thumbsup:

Edited by mulf
Social source share

Not keeping up with the quotes nto sure which tune we are talkin about but Rob gave me a cut of "Switch Around" and I have the original acetate of "Marrying Kind" which came Via Rob.

Hope that helps!!

Hi Kitch,

I was replying to JMYTG's post about Roger Banks having bought his copy of 'Switch Around' from Rob Thomas believing it was the real one.

Andy Rix had posted earlier in this thread saying that there is only one original copy of the acetate, which he has, and that any other copies are, and I quote, "newly made acetates/carvers or whatever".

If this is true, how bad is that?

Social source share

Hi Kitch,

I was replying to JMYTG's post about Roger Banks having bought his copy of 'Switch Around' from Rob Thomas believing it was the real one.

Andy Rix had posted earlier in this thread saying that there is only one original copy of the acetate, which he has, and that any other copies are, and I quote, "newly made acetates/carvers or whatever".

If this is true, how bad is that?

Not sure what you mean. Rob let me have this a long time ago and never claimed any other.who else has it frankly is down to? hey i suppose Rob can give it to whoever he wants can't he?

Social source share

Sorry Joan, I'm with you now. As far as the one Roger has I don't know anything about that to be honest. I assumed Rob still had it!

Nothing to do with me anyway :(

That said, if I had bought something in good faith, thinking I had bought the original acetate, only to find out later what I had bought was anything but... I wouldn't be too happy.

Social source share

Nothing to do with me anyway laugh.gif

That said, if I had bought something in good faith, thinking I had bought the original acetate, only to find out later what I had bought was anything but... I wouldn't be too happy.

Oh god yes I'm with you on that one. I played it now and again as i thought rob still had it. I don't thinlk Rob would sell it someone as a real one if it was'nt though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert