Twisted Wheel 2nd Dance Floor

• Replies 26
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Mezhouse

what are you opinions on the use of two dance floors at the wheel?

i personally think it is great.

spike

About time! The floor is just so crowded now it will be much better

Jo xx

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

what are you opinions on the use of two dance floors at the wheel?

i personally think it is great.

spike

great, your not kidding

im surprised no ones been battered or trampled to death on the present one, ohmy.gif

Social source share

i may be wrong but i thought this was the case at the wheel in the late 80's early 90'swhen the venue was called rockies , my mind is a little blurry about it now

In the 80s they had a few rooms for all niters i think, was it called Rockies or placemate 7?? did go there a few times too..

Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

the new floors bang on but it gets just as crowded it seems more have come since they opened it. what are them saddles for outside it? hahaha

Social source share

I think it's great 'cos it can leave a bit more room but we'd have even more room if the boozers would stay in the bar and not cluster round the edge of the dance floor,shrinking it even more!Having said that,personally when I go to The Twisted Wheel I want to dance at the Twisted Wheel not Legends,so it's the stage room for me.

For all those who think it's crowded now,ask some of the original "in crowd" what it was like in it's heyday!

Bernard,

Social source share

Guest mvb031259

I think it's great 'cos it can leave a bit more room but we'd have even more room if the boozers would stay in the bar and not cluster round the edge of the dance floor,shrinking it even more!Having said that,personally when I go to The Twisted Wheel I want to dance at the Twisted Wheel not Legends,so it's the stage room for me.

For all those who think it's crowded now,ask some of the original "in crowd" what it was like in it's heyday!

Bernard,

Must agree i prefer the stage room but it just gets so busy, so we venture up to the dance room which is great. Slight problem with drinkers around the pillars though, the dance floor is for dancing, there's so much room now for people to drink why do they stand on the floor :P .Never mind the WHEEL for me is the best place on earth, untouchable atmosphere and what music.... just superb, wished i could have gone in the earlie days. :P

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

I know this is a stupid question but could they open up the music policy there a bit and stretch it out to torch and wigan sounds on the second dance floor, Ill get me coat

Social source share

I went to the Wheel/Placemate 7/Rockies a few times in the 80's. On my first visit there was an excellent oblong shaped room playing CURRENT SOUNDS OF THE DAY and it was truly great, packed!!

(Not so great the second time when there had been a fire and they shoved us in a shoe box sized room!) :huh:

If there's a second room keep it FORWARD THINKING - there are enough DJs/punters in Manchester alone surely to make this work

Mark C :huh:

Social source share

Thank you all for your very kind comments on the "Twisted Wheel Club". I have read some of the suggestions that we should play Wigan/Torch records in the second room?? That in some respects would be an across the board music policy (what you can hear anywhere) which I don't want and neither do the 100's of others who regularly attend the Wheel!!

When I reopened the Wheel, 9 Years ago I wanted to recreate a nostagic Twisted Wheel night playing only Twisted Wheel back catalogue (1963 - 1971) records in the original, 6 Whitworth Street, Basement Club!! With nearly 600 people in at the last "Sunday Afternoon Soul Session" I think I have been successful and have achieved that (the reason for the 2nd room is purely the numbers of visitors that now attend and who want to listen to authentic Twisted Wheel sounds).

A BIG THANKS to you all, and I hope to see you on Friday 29th May at the Wheel.

Thanks Again,

Soulfully Yours,

Pete Roberts. [Promoter - Twisted Wheel]

Social source share

Thank you all for your very kind comments on the "Twisted Wheel Club". I have read some of the suggestions that we should play Wigan/Torch records in the second room?? That in some respects would be an across the board music policy (what you can hear anywhere) which I don't want and neither do the 100's of others who regularly attend the Wheel!!

When I reopened the Wheel, 9 Years ago I wanted to recreate a nostagic Twisted Wheel night playing only Twisted Wheel back catalogue (1963 - 1971) records in the original, 6 Whitworth Street, Basement Club!! With nearly 600 people in at the last "Sunday Afternoon Soul Session" I think I have been successful and have achieved that (the reason for the 2nd room is purely the numbers of visitors that now attend and who want to listen to authentic Twisted Wheel sounds).

Thanks Again,

Soulfully Yours,

Hiya Pete,

Got to agree.

people go to The Wheel because it's THE WHEEL.

Regards

Tony

Social source share

Guest proudlove

Hiya Pete,

Got to agree.

people go to The Wheel because it's THE WHEEL.

Regards

Tony

Tony,with you there mate,Pete has got it spot on,all the best Steve

Social source share

Guest spudmurphy

ok then thats me told, whos got the twisted wheel full playlist then? lets see it to see whats on it, just curious Im to young to have gone to the original wheel. ive seen the list on the wheel website but there must be a massive amount of records that were played at the wheel.

Social source share

ok then thats me told, whos got the twisted wheel full playlist then? lets see it to see whats on it, just curious Im to young to have gone to the original wheel. ive seen the list on the wheel website but there must be a massive amount of records that were played at the wheel.

You'd be surprised,

everything from Howlin' Wolf to Sandi Sheldon (giving Norman Greenbaum a wide swerve :) ).

Tony

Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

who knows the twisted wheel website i went on it a few months ago but i forgot it. the one i went on before just banged on about it being a coffie joint back in the day coffie in england ill have less of it :)

Social source share

Guest proudlove

There are play lists on the wheel website,just google Twisted Wheel, cheers Steve

Social source share

who knows the twisted wheel website i went on it a few months ago but i forgot it. the one i went on before just banged on about it being a coffie joint back in the day coffie in england ill have less of it laugh.gif

GREAT VENUE GREAT MUSIC GREAT FOLK KEEP IT ORIGINAL AS MUMS AND DADS SAY AND THEY ARE NEVER WRONG :) XX

PORT VALE FC

PRESENTS

A FAB NIGHT OF

NORTHERN SOUL AND MOTOWN

ALL ACROSS THE BOARD

13 JUNE 2009

8 TILL 2

PETE ROBERTS TWISTED WHEEL

JOHN GREEN GOLDIE

PLUS

VINNY

SOULSHAKER

PLUS GUEST DJS T B C

TWO ROOMS TWO BARS WOODEN DANCE FLOOR SECURITY ALL WELCOME

TICKETS £5

FOR INFO AND BOOKINGS

CONTACT

PORT VALE FC HAMIL RD BURSLEM S O T ST6 1AW

TEL 01782 855809 07772 521803 07814 982114

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

You'd be surprised,

everything from Howlin' Wolf to Sandi Sheldon

Tony

Love reading those Playlists. All that R&B/Blues/Rock & Roll stuff crossing over with early Soul sounds.

An exquisite melting pot that seemed to disappear in later days.

MB

Social source share

Guest Mezhouse

Thanks Again,

Soulfully Yours,

Pete, Keep doing what you do 'cos you do it so well! Sorry I haven't been over for a while but illness etc has kept me low on dancing! However, I will be back, buzzing over from Beverley!

See you all soon

Jo xx

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest averya

Thanks Again,

Soulfully Yours,

The atmosphere at the wheel is down to the music that is played so keep it Wheel sounds only.
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert