Records That Defy The Rules Of What Is Soul

• Replies 72
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Even though Ive seen 'Dont Pity Me - JS' on UTUBE etc, its still gets the hairs on my neck standing up when I hear it played at a soul night and the dancefloor is full and the crowd love it etc.

What tracks defy convention for you?

Ed

I collect predominantly 60s female and quite a lot of that is blue eyed. I specifically like to collect records by known female pop singers that crossed over onto the northern scene.

QoFxx

Social source share

At the risk of being a touch cliched............Timi Yuro.

Now there's a lass that could sing :thumbsup:

Jim :D

........................and Dusty of course.

I think it's a bit unfair to cite Timi Yuro in this topic as many of her releases were definitely conceived as 'soul': she appeared on the US R&B charts on numerous occasions and her management and producers were clearly aware of her capabilities as a 'crossover' artist. Similarly a great many of Dusty Springfield's records were slanted in such a way, particularly her material recorded at American Studios in Memphis and at Sigma in Philadelphia.

I mentioned Cajun Hart above because I can't remotely think that those who went in the studio that day believed they were going in to make 'soul music' in anything other than the broadest terms, and would probably be slightly bemused that the record had met with such fervent approval from soul fans.

On a similar note I personally love the Connie Stevens 45 on Bell, "Tick Tock", which I'm sure would have been an enormously popular record at any of the big allnighters of the 70s had it been more widely known at that time. A textbook example of an out and out pop record having all the correct ingredients to qualify as a total Northern smash. Dana Valery on Columbia is another great example.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Paul Anka "I Can't Help Loving You"

Dean Parrish "Determination", "Tell Her" and "Bricks, Broken Bottles & Sticks"

Bobby Paris "Personally" and "Night Owl"

Sharon Macmahon "Get Out Of My Life" and "When Will Love Come To Me"

Dusty Springfield "Son Of A Preacher Man" and "What's It Gonna Be"

Ian D :D

Social source share

Paul Anka "I Can't Help Loving You"

Dean Parrish "Determination", "Tell Her" and "Bricks, Broken Bottles & Sticks"

Bobby Paris "Personally" and "Night Owl"

Sharon Macmahon "Get Out Of My Life" and "When Will Love Come To Me"

Dusty Springfield "Son Of A Preacher Man" and "What's It Gonna Be"

Ian D :D

Again Ian, I'd call all of those Blue Eyed Soul with the possible exception of the Paul Anka 45, and even then I'm not sure. I would be interested to know if anyone's spoken to Paul Anka about those records and whether they were aimed squarely at the discotheque after listening to a lot of Motown.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Doug Parkinson - I'll Be Around.

Not sure this is exactly what you mean, but most of the other stuff I have had the misfortune to hear is pretty bland Michael Bolton meets a Genesis tribute act type of dross.

His cover of I'll be around stands IMO comparison with all the other versions.

Also I've yet to be convinced that Beverley Ann is not a Country and Western singer, and the couple of old classics of hers are not just a happy accident.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Even though Ive seen 'Dont Pity Me - JS' on UTUBE etc, its still gets the hairs on my neck standing up when I hear it played at a soul night and the dancefloor is full and the crowd love it etc.

Ed

Spencer Davis group - gimme some lovin'.

Babe ruth - elusive

agree cajun heart and dusty springfield's - what's it gonna be..

Jayne.x

Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

a band of spanish rockers are you shitting me this is a soul site mate and i thought blue eyed gear was bad somebody please agree

Social source share

Again Ian, I'd call all of those Blue Eyed Soul with the possible exception of the Paul Anka 45, and even then I'm not sure. I would be interested to know if anyone's spoken to Paul Anka about those records and whether they were aimed squarely at the discotheque after listening to a lot of Motown.

Funnily enough he was on TV AM last year on one of the rare occasions when I happened to be watching and they invited viewers to e-mail with any questions so I actually sent 'em an e-mail asking about "Can't Help Loving You" but they declined to answer me LOL....a shame as it would've been interesting to get a response. To this day it's still one of the greatest orchestrated productions I've ever heard........

If only the Invitations had been singing it instead.......

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest east rob

Ed

tears of joy- ray merrell. irish?

Social source share

a band of spanish rockers are you shitting me this is a soul site mate and i thought blue eyed gear was bad somebody please agree

Sorry mate but that's wrong.

All the above songs have been played in Northern Soul clubs. You might argue that the likes of Tony Galla beat the socks off stuff like Los Canarios (and I'd agree with you) and you might say tunes like "get on your knees" are not relevant to today's scene (and I'd agree with you again) but you can't do that revisionist thing and say that mention of the record has no place on a site which includes the Northern slant on soul :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

WHAT ABOUT

JAMES WALSH GYPSY BAND

CUZ IT;S YOU GIRL

JOE

Absolutely class wouldnt care if they were green with purple spots one hell of a record

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

She may have not been but Brenda Lee is & 'Where's The Melody' is one that obviously breaks through the boundaries.

KTF

Baz

Doug Parkinson - I'll Be Around.

Not sure this is exactly what you mean, but most of the other stuff I have had the misfortune to hear is pretty bland Michael Bolton meets a Genesis tribute act type of dross.

His cover of I'll be around stands IMO comparison with all the other versions.

Also I've yet to be convinced that Beverley Ann is not a Country and Western singer, and the couple of old classics of hers are not just a happy accident.

Social source share

Guest nomad

Rufus Lumley.. He may have a couple of records on the scene, one of which is an undisputable classic, but when you look at the cover of is album he gives the impression he would be best suited to a genre of music not that far removed from the likes of Val Doonigan....Just an observation I might add!!

Social source share

Ed

Barbara Mills " Queen Of Fools "

Margo & The Marvettes " When Love Slips Away "

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Love it, fits nicely into the girlie section of my collection.

PM with your details etc.

Thanks

QoFxx

Margo & The Marvettes " When Love Slips Away "

Malc Burton

Social source share

Paul Anka - shouldn't be Soulful really - but a true anthem - brilliant !!

Danny Wagner - I Lost A True Love (Northern Soul at it's very best!!)

Shane Martin - I Need You

Lynne Randell - Stranger In My Arms

& not forgetting the wonderful George Soule - Get Involved.

Social source share

ohmy.gif:lol: I shit thee not mate. As Godzilla says all these records mentioned were played in Northern soul clubs at some point.

....and yes Los Canarios had its time and place :lol:

I notice you've got the Wheel on your signature--check this one out that was played there and at subsequent clubs such as Torch and Junction and poss/prob at Wigan??(anyone confirm)

Old tulsa man himself :lol::lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t6jLYd828o

Social source share

:lol::lol: I shit thee not mate. As Godzilla says all these records mentioned were played in Northern soul clubs at some point.

I notice you've got the Wheel on your signature--check this one out that was played there and at subsequent clubs such as Torch and Junction and poss/prob at Wigan??(anyone confirm)

Old tulsa man himself :lol::lol:

T D Valentine ( AKA Tommy Mottola ) " Love Trap "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miZ3CZyXPJw

I would have suggested Lulu , but she could only hit the high notes with encouragement whistling.gif

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Paul Anka - shouldn't be Soulful really - but a true anthem - brilliant !!

Danny Wagner - I Lost A True Love (Northern Soul at it's very best!!)

Shane Martin - I Need You

Lynne Randell - Stranger In My Arms

& not forgetting the wonderful George Soule - Get Involved.

The George Soule 45 is as legitimate a soul record as any ever made and lyrically and musically is aimed squarely at the R&B market. Yes, the guy's white but, to my ears, there isn't a hint of pop about any element of it.

Social source share

A few more

Mickey Moonshine - Name it Baby You Got It

Mike Post - Afternoon of the Rhino

The Jades - I'm Where Its At

Andre Brassuer - The Kid

Wynder K Frog - Green Door

Gary Lewis & The Playboys - My Hearts Symphony

Samantha Jones - Surrrounded by a Ray Of Sunshine

Bob Brady & The Choncords - More, More of Your Love

O'Kaysions - Girl Watcher

The Creation - I've Got The Fever

Spiral Staircase - More Today Than Yesterday

Kiki Dee - On a Magic Carpet Ride

April Stevens - Wanting You

Guy Darrell - Iv'e Been Hurt

Wayne Gibson -Under My Thumb

The Refelections - Like Adam and Eve

Baltimore & Ohio Marching Band - Condition Red

Wombat - Gettin On Life

George Clinton - Please Don't Run From Me

All floorfillers and still love most of them

Plus many many more!

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

:thumbup:biggrin.gif I shit thee not mate. As Godzilla says all these records mentioned were played in Northern soul clubs at some point.

Old tulsa man himself biggrin.gif:ohmy:

i its a strange scene mate but not for me all these blue eyed boys i like my soul black. i think theres just something in a black man/womens voice

Social source share

i its a strange scene mate but not for me all these blue eyed boys i like my soul black. i think theres just something in a black man/womens voice

Most of these aren't soul and that, I think, is the point of the thread. Pop records/recording artisits that crossed over onto the northern scene for what ever reason.

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

Most of these aren't soul and that, I think, is the point of the thread. Pop records/recording artisits that crossed over onto the northern scene for what ever reason.

QoFxx

i know sorry about that strayed way off the point of the thread

Edited by nhsoulie
Social source share

And a few more

Embers - Watch Out

Detroit Soul - All of My Life

Rain - Out of My Mind

Total Eclipse - 6 O'Clock (aka The Golden World Strings - Supertime

Sandy Nelson - Love is like an itchin in my Heart

George Carrow - Angel Baby

Rightous Brohters Band - Rat Race

The Ventures - Hawaii 5 0

Mr Bloe - Land of a Thousand Dances

Gene Latter - Sign on the Dotted Line

Reparata and The Del-Rons - Panic (see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_xQjt8ABSc)

The Vogues - That's the Tune

Plus many many more!

Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

Hope this isn't go to turn into Racial Soulful/Non Soul arguement

but reckon Dusty Springfield is more soulful than Boney M :thumbup:

And where do you stand if you don't know what their colour is?

good point but in my defence iam only 21 uneducated and been on the scene for about 1 and a half years so there are many flaws in my (cant think of the word) theory :lol:

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

At the risk of being sniped from a rooftop, when I was in "The Wilderness Years" (ie: between 1980 & 1994) I thought that Strange Young Cannibals' "Good Thing" had all the proper NS ingredients - on the 4's with breaks & handclaps etc.

Am I on my own here?

Cheers........Pete

Social source share

At the risk of being sniped from a rooftop, when I was in "The Wilderness Years" (ie: between 1980 & 1994) I thought that Strange Young Cannibals' "Good Thing" had all the proper NS ingredients - on the 4's with breaks & handclaps etc.

Am I on my own here?

Cheers........Pete

:thumbup: not on your own mate :lol:

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

three of my favourites

len barry

Hi kevin. One of my all-time fav's is Len Barry's "You Baby" i absolutely love it. i'm surprised Malc B has mentioned "Queen of Fools". This is an all-time classic and the ONLY record that a neighbor of mine actually liked after sitting listening to dozens of classics from me!

"Thats Not Love" as well, i don't care what anybody says about this classic oldie (and a lot of you don't like it) but i bloodywell love the song and proud of it! :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert