Ian Levine - The Northern Soul Radio Special

IAN LEVINE - The Northern Soul Radio Special

BBC " 6 Music " Saturday May 23rd , 9 - 11 PM

Recently commissioned by the BBC and recorded for broadcast on the above date , the first hour ( 9 - 10 PM ) of the special will feature an unpredictable mixture of top quality rare , obscure , known , semi - known and rarely played Northern Soul records .

The second hour ( 10 - 11 PM ) focuses on a retrospective look at Ian's successful production career .

The special will also be available for a further seven days on the BBc IPlayer following the broadcast .

Malc Burton

Social source share

• Replies 42
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Recently commissioned by the BBC and recorded for broadcast on the above date , the first hour ( 9 - 10 PM ) of the special will feature an unpredictable mixture of top quality rare , obscure , known , semi - known and rarely played Northern Soul records .

The second hour ( 10 - 11 PM ) focuses on a retrospective look at Ian's successful production career .

The special will also be available for a further seven days on the BBc IPlayer following the broadcast .

Malc Burton

Thanks for letting us know.

P :D

Social source share

Guest nomad

:D I'll have to listen to this via the IPlayer 'cause guess where Im off that night :)

Social source share

Malc Burton

Cheers Malc!

I said I'd post this a week ago but got overwhelmed with other stuff so mucho thanks!

Best,

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello,

This will be interesting. I saw this on facebook and asked Ian if he played the unknown James Lovejoy track and, yes, he has and mentioned on air that some DJ had claimed to have seven copies but was talking out of his rear end.

Ian said he played a mixture of very rare 45s and underappreciated cheap 45s which deserve exposure.

Looking forward to hearing the show.

Paul

Social source share

Guest julie s

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest julie s

i for sure will be listening only because ian was one of my brothers heros he had great respect for this dj and for him to have so much respect for someone who loved this music must be good because my bro was a great lover of the music he goes back to the torch days and before he died he made a cd of his favorite music and he mentioned ian levine so i know he must be a special man xx

Social source share

Guest newone

Cheers Malc!

I said I'd post this a week ago but got overwhelmed with other stuff so mucho thanks!

Best,

Ian D :lol:

anyone pmd james yet :unsure:

Social source share

Malc Burton

ONE OF THE RECORDS FEATURED IN THE FIRST HOUR OF THE SPECIAL WILL BE

JAMES LOVEJOY

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest newone

Is it possible to hear this via soul source once its broadcast? Can't recieve beeb iplayer on the ''continent".

Cheers Paul

not sure but think u can get it from the bbc website

Social source share

Is it possible to hear this via soul source once its broadcast? Can't recieve beeb iplayer on the ''continent".

The special will be available by accessing the BBC 6 Music " LISTEN AGAIN " link for a further seven days , following the broadcast .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

The special will be available by accessing the BBC 6 Music " LISTEN AGAIN " link for a further seven days , following the broadcast .

Malc Burton

To gain information regarding the special , copy and paste the link into google or similar search engine , below to access ......

www.bbc.co.uk/6music/programmes/schedules/2009/05/23

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Lobster Madras

Cheers Paul

Its not just me then... BBC blocks programmes to most " foreign " destinations ..

Must be a way round this ..... other than moving back to UK. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Paul

Its not just me then... BBC blocks programmes to most " foreign " destinations ..

Must be a way round this ..... other than moving back to UK. :thumbup:

I suppose if someone records the show using something like eradio (or whatever it's called) they could convert it to MP3 or burn it to CD-R.

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

By the way, has anyone actually heard the James Lovejoy record yet? I only heard a piece of it over the phone but it sounded good, strong orchestration and a very throwback production for a 1978 track.

Ian also played me a piece of an unissued female track called "Never Let Go" from 1967 which sounded even better. He also played it to Tim Brown but he didn't know it either. Looking forward to hearing it in full on Saturday.

I'll try to record the show for any overseas members.

Best regards,

Paul

Edited by Paul
Social source share

By the way, has anyone actually heard the James Lovejoy record yet? I only heard a piece of it over the phone but it sounded good, strong orchestration and a very throwback production for a 1978 track.

Ian also played me a piece of an unissued female track called "Never Let Go" from 1967 which sounded even better. He also played it to Tim Brown but he didn't know it either. Looking forward to hearing it in full on Saturday.

Best regards,

Paul

Thanks for reminding me of that Paul - TWO major premieres in one night along with James Lovejoy !

IAN LEVINE - The Northern Soul Radio Special - BBC " 6 Music " Saturday May 23rd , 9 - 11 PM

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Wish I could listen to this Radio Show on saturday but a) I'm off for holiday and B) BBC won't let you listen to their radio show when you're living outside UK.

Are there any plans to upload the show somewhere as a podcast?

Social source share

Guest Dante

Best regards,

Paul

That'll be awesome. Thanks Paul.

Social source share

Malc Burton

Sounds good - I'll definitely tune in for this.

Cheers Manus

Social source share

Must be a way round this ..... other than moving back to UK. ph34r.gif

Yes they do but the way round it is to have a yahoo.co.uk email address, then email it to that address (there is a prompt on the iplayer). You should be able to listen to it then.

Social source share

Best regards,

Paul

what's the female artist called who sings Never Let Go?

Social source share

Guest Paul

what's the female artist called who sings Never Let Go?

Hello Chalky

I'm not sure ...actually, I am but I think Ian has been keeping it to himself so it wouldn't be right for me to reveal her name ahead of his radio show.

But she isn't known as a soul singer. She was fairly well known in other circles and she wrote a few songs that I like - in various styles.

God knows where Ian got it from.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Chalky

I'm not sure ...actually, I am but I think Ian has been keeping it to himself so it wouldn't be right for me to reveal her name ahead of his radio show.

But she isn't known as a soul singer. She was fairly well known in other circles and she wrote a few songs that I like - in various styles.

God knows where Ian got it from.

Best regards,

Paul

just wondering as few of us being playing one out same title for last couple of years.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

just wondering as few of us being playing one out same title for last couple of years.

397?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Just set it up on Channel 0120 so should work, Solar 0129 always does.

Steve

Bump - an unashamed one , given the ctredibilty of the subject .........

The special will be available by accessing the BBC 6 Music " LISTEN AGAIN " link for a further seven days , following the broadcast

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Paul

That's interesting, Chalky.

What are the initials of the artist and I'll let you know if it could be the same.

Thanks,

Paul

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

That's interesting, Chalky.

What are the initials of the artist and I'll let you know if it could be the same.

Thanks,

Paul

I like this game, can I go first?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Can I try with a just a 'Single-' letter, or shall I try with a '-ton' of them?

How about first letter first name: M?

:thumbup:

396 rare unknown monster northern soul records on the wall,

396 rare records....

I do like this game.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest cenco

:ohmy:

496 rare unknown monster northern soul records on the wall,

496 rare records....

I do like this game.

MARGE S........ :thumbup: JUST A GUESS AM I CLOSE Edited by cenco
Social source share

Guest Paul

:D

496 rare unknown monster northern soul records on the wall,

496 rare records....

I do like this game.

No doubt it's the same track but Ian obviously wasn't aware that others know it. He said he'd played it to Tim Brown and he didn't know it.

It sounded good on the phone anyway so I'm looking forward to hearing it in full.

What's the story behind it?

Paul

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No doubt it's the same track but Ian obviously wasn't aware that others know it. He said he'd played it to Tim Brown and he didn't know it.

It sounded good on the phone anyway so I'm looking forward to hearing it in full.

Paul

He should have asked Steve and Sue :D

Social source share

Paul

Irrexpective of the story behind it , you will be able to hear the sound tomorrow ........

The special will be available by accessing the BBC 6 Music " LISTEN AGAIN " link for a further seven days , following the broadcast

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I wonder if he'll read out the email he sent me last week?:

Tony_soprano_1205014018.jpg

Who does he think he is with his Tony Soprano act, giving it the big 'I am' with his unknown this, 400 monster northern soul discoveries that none of you know, 80000 records still to be sorted through, I can still turn them up and the I'll slice your balls off if you disagree with me, nonsense.

Fake Twitter? There's only one 'twit' I know of around here, and that's Levine.

I should probably go to the police with the threats he and his cronies have sent me. But I'm confident enough that his threats are as hollow as his box of "400 great and unknown northern soul monsters" and they deserve equal ridicule.

Social source share

Guest Paul

Hello James,

Regardless of what goes on between you and Ian, and without taking sides, I think it's sad that you are still so concerned with ridiculing him in public - especially now that he isn't a member of this forum.

And if you didn't constantly ridicule him in public, he'd have no need to respond.

Why not focus more on postings about music or about economic matters in freebasing? I don't know what other members think but that's what I'd rather read about.

I like a joke as much as the next man but this seems to be very personal so it should go offlist. Apart from that, there's a danger you'll become known as "the man who hates Ian Levine". I'm sure there's more to you than that.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hello James,

Regardless of what goes on between you and Ian, and without taking sides, I think it's sad that you are still so concerned with ridiculing him in public - especially now that he isn't a member of this forum.

And if you didn't constantly ridicule him in public, he'd have no need to respond.

Why not focus more on postings about music or about economic matters in freebasing? I don't know what other members think but that's what I'd rather read about.

I like a joke as much as the next man but this seems to be very personal so it should go offlist. Apart from that, there's a danger you'll become known as "the man who hates Ian Levine". I'm sure there's more to you than that.

Best regards,

Paul

Sad? Personal? He's responded to me? You like a joke? You think it's a joke that a wanna be gangster, and his cronies, continue to throw threats around and you expect it to be ignored?

You think I've taken it personally that he and his cronies continue to make threats? Too fkcing right I take it personally.

As I have said many times over the past year, I have only ever posted anything to do with Levine AFTER I have been either threatened or been subject to his venom.

I will not stand for being threatened, by anyone.

I don't want to go to the police, but my accountant has a file with all the printouts and emails etc I've had off him, and to be perfectly honest, I'd love, really love it, if I did get done over by his gang of flying monkeys so I can see his face when he's locked up for a few years for premeditated violence.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest proudlove

I wonder if he'll read out the email he sent me last week?:

If this fake Ian_Levine on Twitter turns out to be you, I shall be arranging for your balls to be sliced off and force fed to you.

Tony_soprano_1205014018.jpg

Who does he think he is with his Tony Soprano act, giving it the big 'I am' with his unknown this, 400 monster northern soul discoveries that none of you know, 80000 records still to be sorted through, I can still turn them up and the I'll slice your balls off if you disagree with me, nonsense.

Fake Twitter? There's only one 'twit' I know of around here, and that's Levine.

I should probably go to the police with the threats he and his cronies have sent me. But I'm confident enough that his threats are as hollow as his box of "400 great and unknown northern soul monsters" and they deserve equal ridicule.

James leave it off here mate,but go to the police and make them aware of the threats and attempted intimidation.ATB Steve

Social source share

Guest Paul

I'm sure, James, the police would advise you to ignore threats and avoid provocation.

Regardless of who may have started it, you appear to be trying hard to continue the dispute and provoke further reaction.

It would be much easier to end it.

I once received threats from a soulsource member but I dealt with it privately. Getting personal in public wouldn't have solved anything and it would have bored other members to death.

My advice is take it offlist and focus on something else.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

I'm sure, James, the police would advise you to ignore threats and avoid provocation.

Regardless of who may have started it, you appear to be trying hard to continue the dispute and provoke further reaction.

It would be much easier to end it.

I once received threats from a soulsource member but I dealt with it privately. Getting personal in public wouldn't have solved anything and it would have bored other members to death.

My advice is take it offlist and focus on something else.

Best regards,

Paul

THE THREAD IS NOW CLOSED .

Unfortunately due to the deviation on , and of the original subject matter , I have no other choice but to do so .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share