Stevie Wonder

Guest bobby's girl

No dramas here Chrissie. I was incensed when I read the Stevie (blind joke). I don't like prejudice, so felt I had to comment.

It obviously wasn't aimed at you.

The reason for my first reply was I couldn't understand why, if you don't particularly like Stevie Wonder's contempary pop music and I agree it's not his best you would open it up for debate on a Soul forum when it just doesn't even nearly touch what would normally cross into your world. You've said you don't like his output from the early 70's onwards so why bother opening it up unless you want to be persuaded otherwise that's all. There's no point.

Kev

Good on yer Kev for speaking up against what was an utterly crass, and utterly crap joke. And the word 'joke' is used advisedly.

I must be missing something here folks. Not made a decent record since 1972 you say?

'Innervisions', released in 1973. A work of absolute majesty imho. 'He's Misstra Know-It-All' ...anyone?

Nobody made any mention of his live performances either. Did anyone have the good fortune of seeing him in concert last year? Well I did, and he was astounding, with the finest rhythm section I've ever heard. And I've seen some rhythm sections...!

Just wanted to bid this thread adieu on an uptight/beat note...

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Think the point Chrissie is trying to make here is that he is undoubtably a genius, no question, but he has lacked S-O-U-L for some years, his SITKOL and Innervisions albums are all very well made but lack that cutting soulful edge, I didn't expect him to stick to his 60s style as it was obvious he was way ahead of the pack, but his latter albums had too many political theme's for me and as I stated is a pseudos fave, I don't dislike him but feel his stuff from around 72 wasn't to my taste,

Just my opinion of course! biggrin.gif

Lenny

Social source share

Do you have a clip of the Jesus Children of Americaa please mate.

Russ

its the same recording Russ, just not remixed or sped up. 'Tell the Story' is a house bootleg of 'Jesus Children' by Stevie and Be Be Winans which was the official release. Played it when it came out to much rolling of eyes at the time, one rather well-known soul dj said "is this soul music then?" at the time lol, and to be fair, it's actually not sounding all that good again really for me. The original 12 is great - and check Shirley Caesar's cover which is very good too.

This thread is possibly the most absurd thread i've ever read on here.

cheers Sutty

Social source share

I personally don't think Stevie Wonder has made a decent record since about 1972

QoFxx

What us this? Comedy night?

Ok, you may have a point, I can only think of;

"Too high"/"Visions"/"Living for the city"/"Golden lady"/"Higher ground"/"Jesus children of America" "Don't you worry 'bout a thing"/"He's misstra know-it-all"/"To know you is to love you"/"Smile please"/"Heaven is 10 zillion light years away"/"Boogie on reggae woman"/"Creepin'"/"You haven't done nothin'"/"It ain't no use"/"Please don't go"/Love's in need of love today"/"Village ghetto land"/"Sir Duke"/"I wish"/"Knocks me off my feet"/"Pastime paradise"/"Summer soft"/"Ordinary pain"/"Isn't she lovely"/"Black man"/"Ngiculela - Es una historia - I am singing"/"If it's magic"/"As"/"Another star"

"All I do"/"Rocket love"/"As if you read my mind"/"Send one your love"/"That girl"/"Do I do"/"It's you"/"Love light in flight"/"Stranger on the shore of love"/"You will know"/"Edge of eternity"/"Sensuous whisper"/"For your love"/"Sweetest somebody I know"/"Moon blue"/"My love is on fire"

Off the top of my head. Up there with the guy a few years back who tried to tell me Bobby Womack had never made a good record. :thumbup:

Social source share

Tell you what guys, some of the "jokes" in this thread about Stevie are the absolute lowest of the low.

Suppose it is not a good time now to ask a favour(!) but can some kind soul post a clip of Stevie singing the Love Theme from Romeo and Juliet from the Stevie Wonder Live LP?

Had the LP in the late 60ts early 70s, but sold it. That track has always stuck in my mind, and I haven't heard it since then.

It is by no means northern, but reverting back to the thread, no one ever intentionally made a northern record, (except for IL and Co), so how can we blame Stevie for moving away from the 60ts Motown beat, when the whole crux of his career has been the fact that he was and is an innovator.

I don't remember anyone slagging Edwin off for his disco stuff when he used to appear at our clubs, why pick on Stevie?

Thanks in advance for the clip :ohmy:

Social source share

list most from 72 onwards cant eveybody be wrong

Hotter than July is an album by Stevie Wonder, originally released on Motown's Tamla label on September 29, 1980. Despite the wide critical acclaim for Wonder's previous works such as Songs in the Key of Life and Innervisions, Hotter than July was his first album eligible for platinum status, as Motown sales records before 1977 were not audited by the Recording Industry Association of America. This was his most successful album in the UK, peaking at #2 and producing four top ten singles

Edited by Makemvinyl
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Oh come on give the guy a break he made records in 30 years that was soul music but aimed for the pop market just in the way they did the 60's with motown songs

look at all those big hits out in the 60's that hit No 1 made by Motown artists but at times were made for the pop market just as much as they did with soul fans. did anyone not think of that.

I Just Called To Say I Love You is a song i like each to there own i say

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert