Stevie Wonder

I personally don't think Stevie Wonder has made a decent record since about 1972 and I know many will disagree but just heard his new record "All About The Love Again" aboslute tosh. Even ardent SW fans have got to admit it's his worse yet. Sounds like it was written by Gilbert O'Sullivan :thumbsup:

taxi for chrissie...............................

:D

QoFxx

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I personally don't think Stevie Wonder has made a decent record since about 1972 and I know many will disagree but just heard his new record "All About The Love Again" aboslute tosh. Even ardent SW fans have got to admit it's his worse yet. Sounds like it was written by Gilbert O'Sullivan :thumbsup:

:huh:

QoFxx

Poor old Stevie he never saw that coming :unsure:

Social source share

Gilbert O Sullivan wrote at least 3 outstanding classic songs. I know Stevie's written a lot more...but Alone Again Naturally, We Will and Nothing Rhymed are all classics. I like Gilbert.

Not a Gilbert fan but do agree he wrote a few good ones, my comparison was that the style of SWs new record sounds like a GO's

QoFxx

Social source share

Gilbert O Sullivan wrote at least 3 outstanding classic songs. I know Stevie's written a lot more...but Alone Again Naturally, We Will and Nothing Rhymed are all classics. I like Gilbert.

" Alone Again Naturally " is a first rate composition .

Esther Phillips' interpratation of the song is absolutely wonderful ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

I'm a poorman's son, from across the railroad tracks,

The only shirt I own is hanging' on my back

He can sing what he like for me!

She's a pearl of a girl, I guess that's what you might say,

I guess her folks brought her up that way,

The right side of the tracks, she was born and raised

In a great big old house, full of butlers and maids.

No one is better than I, I know I'm just an average guy,

Social source share

I personally don't think Stevie Wonder has made a decent record since about 1972 and I know many will disagree but just heard his new record "All About The Love Again" aboslute tosh. Even ardent SW fans have got to admit it's his worse yet. Sounds like it was written by Gilbert O'Sullivan :D

onto.gif

QoFxx

I don't think he's made a decent soul record since 67 Chrissie! :)

Long time sold out to the pseuds :yes:

Lenny :yes:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Me too - we've praised Gilbert on here before, and rightly so...

Think it's unfair to say that he hasn't made a decent soul record since about 1967, given that he made his best real soul record, "I Don't Know Why", in 1969 and there's nothing wrong with things like "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)", "All I Do" and "Living For The City", which all came after that.

For me, though, Stevie Wonder's last really good records were probably "Do I Do" and "That Girl" in 1981 and he's been trading on past glories ever since...

Social source share

Yes, 'Songs In The Key Of Life' from 1976 is a pile of old tosh, what WAS he thinking about when he wrote that! :wicked::):D

Yes, what an absolute pile of crud that was. I remember being in Los Angeles when it came out and watching all these poor black people rushing to the stores to get hold of a copy as the stores couldn't keep the shelves stocked up fast enough as it was the fastest-selling Motown album of all time.

What on earth were they thinking? I remember thinking when I heard the lyrics to "Knocks Me Off My Feet" that you'd have to be blind to get away with lyrics like that...... :Dlaugh.gif:D

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest Dante

Ok, top 5 musical crimes commited by Stevie Wonder in the 80s and 90s.

Suuuuubquestion is it fair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latest sins?

Is it in fact better to burn than to faaade awaay?

Barry in High Fidelity :(

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Ok, top 5 musical crimes commited by Stevie Wonder in the 80s and 90s.

Suuuuubquestion is it fair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latest sins?

Is it in fact better to burn than to faaade awaay?

Barry in High Fidelity :(

Yes my friend because rust never sleeps and I don't think Barry does, either :(

Hard to restrict myself to just five not so Wonderful SW tracks from the 80s and 80s, but these five are real stinkers:

1. Masterblaster

2. Ebony And Ivory

3. Lately

4. I Just Called To Say I Love You

5. Happy Birthday

...bad records that would be bad whoever made them.

Yes, it's fair to criticise the greats on the basis of poor later recordings. If they can't come up with the goods they should stop churning out records that devalue their best work. Not everyone can keep on producing consistently challenging music in the way that, say, Neil Young or Morrissey does.

As this thread is showing, people's memories of bad Stevie Wonder records is tending to obscure the fact that he actually made rather a lot of extremely good ones between 1962 and the early 80s.

Social source share

Hard to restrict myself to just five not so Wonderful SW tracks from the 80s and 80s, but these five are real stinkers:

1. Masterblaster

2. Ebony And Ivory

3. Lately

5. Happy Birthday

:( I like Masterblaster. That track he had out in around 04/05 (So what the fuss) grew on me too. Ok he's guilty of some right pop tosh but hotter than july was a good album on the whole IMO.

Jayne.x

Social source share

......no one has commented on the new single, which is what the thread is meant to be about :( .

QoFxx

Hi,

Where can I hear it?

Jayne.x

Social source share

1. Masterblaster

2. Ebony And Ivory

3. Lately

5. Happy Birthday

Yes, it's fair to criticise the greats on the basis of poor later recordings. If they can't come up with the goods they should stop churning out records that devalue their best work. Not everyone can keep on producing consistently challenging music in the way that, say, Neil Young or Morrissey does.

As this thread is showing, people's memories of bad Stevie Wonder records is tending to obscure the fact that he actually made rather a lot of extremely good ones between 1962 and the early 80s.

Tony, that list is truly cringeworthy, but didn't they sell by the million? So could it not be the case he did 'come up with the goods' as far as he is concerned? Aren't/weren't all records released to hopefully sell?

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

Pete you forgot 'Claire'.....lol....as for Stevie Wonder I'm not a huge fan but have a few Albums & my favorite which I've always adored is Fulfillingness First Finale which is from 1974, often play it.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony, that list is truly cringeworthy, but didn't they sell by the million? So could it not be the case he did 'come up with the goods' as far as he is concerned? Aren't/weren't all records released to hopefully sell?

They certainly did, mate, but all that proves to me is that you CAN fool lots of the people, lots of the time! I'm sure they gave Stevie's bank balance a hefty boost (and that they continue to do so) and that he's as proud of them as he is of "Superstition" and "Uptight", but the fact that they sold by the million doesn't actually make 'em good.

Boney M sold millions of records in the 70s. Did they come up with the goods even once?

You're right in saying that all records are released hopefully to sell, but that's not to say that all of those which do sell have merit. And I can't personally see any merit in any of the tracks I cited, even though millions of others obviously did.

Social source share

I personally don't think Stevie Wonder has made a decent record since about 1972 and I know many will disagree but just heard his new record "All About The Love Again" aboslute tosh. Even ardent SW fans have got to admit it's his worse yet. Sounds like it was written by Gilbert O'Sullivan :unsure:

:lol:

QoFxx

Are you a Soul Suicide Bomber Chrissie?

That unprovoked poisonous little vitriole of yours speaks volumes.

Stevie Wonder has never been here just to please you and your tastes 'love', just to spread his genius to those able to understand.

I'll bet Stevie would pick holes in some of your 'going out' shoes over the years - if he could have seen 'em that is - but you didn't buy your shoes for Stevie to like did you?

Soooo....Stevie has made a few bad records and you have worn crap shoes.

Settled.

Social source share

Are you a Soul Suicide Bomber Chrissie?

That unprovoked poisonous little vitriole of yours speaks volumes.

Stevie Wonder has never been here just to please you and your tastes 'love', just to spread his genius to those able to understand.

I'll bet Stevie would pick holes in some of your 'going out' shoes over the years - if he could have seen 'em that is - but you didn't buy your shoes for Stevie to like did you?

Soooo....Stevie has made a few bad records and you have worn crap shoes.

Settled.

Point taken but is SW a soul singer, or someone who is now a pop singer? :unsure: Not a opinion, before you put a price on my head. Just a question because I am iterested in what other people think

I often wonder if in real life you are as sexist as you come across on here or just come up with the sexist remarks cos you think its funny. Why the reference to shoes, why not to the records I have bought or the books I have read but of course I am female therefore I must buy lots of shoes............you really dont know me very well!!.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

I heard the new Stevie Wonder the other day on 2....middle of the road music, so far removed from soul :thumbup:

Never been a fan of Stevie..........not much of a soul output in the past 30 odd years... :)

...though I was taken by Sensuous Whisper from his Conversation Peace album in '95...quite a choon... :yes:

Social source share

Point taken but is SW a soul singer, or someone who is now a pop singer? :lol: Not a opinion, before you put a price on my head. Just a question because I am iterested in what other people think

I often wonder if in real life you are as sexist as you come across on here or just come up with the sexist remarks cos you think its funny. Why the reference to shoes, why not to the records I have bought or the books I have read but of course I am female therefore I must buy lots of shoes............you really dont know me very well!!.

QoFxx

Yep, can vouch for that Chrissie...especially the high heels... :yes::D:(

Lenny :yes:

Social source share

I heard the new Stevie Wonder the other day on 2....middle of the road music, so far removed from soul :(

Never been a fan of Stevie..........not much of a soul output in the past 30 odd years... :lol:

...though I was taken by Sensuous Whisper from his Conversation Peace album in '95...quite a choon... :D

There is also a callboration with one of the Winans, that was a white label only which wasnt too bad in a 'dance' kinda way as mi remember from a few years back ?.

Russ

Social source share

Guest nhsoulie

That's nowt,mate! I bought The Secret Life Of Plants by him..it took 3 years to make and 3 days

to throw in the bin..............Absolute crap!!

stevie wonder was alright before he started making a load of "artistic" wank enough said

Social source share

Guest soulboy

I WENT TO STEVE WONDERS BIRTHDAY PARTY A FEW YEARS A GO ,I GAVE HIM A CHEESE GRATER. SPOKE TO HIM A FEW WEEKS LATER AND SAID HI STEVE DID YOU LIKE THE BIRTHDAY PRESENT ? 'BEST F**KING BOOK IV EVER READ ' HE SAID

Social source share

This thread should be locked. There's really no point to it. The innovator Stevie Wonder has produced another record that is not really accessable to the Northern Dance crowd. Big deal! He must be mighty worried about that.

Chrissie, why don't you post up some more threads that are positive about things you like and admire etc etc instead of a thread that gives opportunities for people to make bad jokes about a blind man. No-one can seriously doubt the talent of Stevie Wonder. You may not enjoy all of his output but there's a lot to choose from.

Keep it sensible. The world is a nice place.

Kev

Social source share

Chrissie, why don't you post up some more threads that are positive about things you like and admire etc etc instead of a thread that gives opportunities for people to make bad jokes about a blind man. No-one can seriously doubt the talent of Stevie Wonder. You may not enjoy all of his output but there's a lot to choose from.

Keep it sensible. The world is a nice place.

Kev

I do post about things I like but your statement is a bit of an oxymoron, as if I only posted about things I like, many people wouldn't agree to so they would critisise my taste huh.gif So are we only allowed to discuss things that everyone likes....................end of forum me thinks.

One of the reasons the scene has survived is because we all have varying tastes, I just don't happen to like much of what SW has done in the last 25 years or so and I don't like Aretha Franklin either but that's another debate :lol:

I don't see why discussing whether SW is still a soul singer or is now a pop singer is wrong and I personally have not made any jokes about him being blind so please can you direct your criticism at the person who posted the jokes and not me.

Much of what I collect I wouldn't really class as soul more of 60s girlie pop but it seems to work and people dance to it but I am open about not classing it as soul.

QoFxx

Social source share

I do post about things I like but your statement is a bit of an oxymoron, as if I only posted about things I like, many people wouldn't agree to so they would critisise my taste huh.gif So are we only allowed to discuss things that everyone likes....................end of forum me thinks.

One of the reasons the scene has survived is because we all have varying tastes, I just don't happen to like much of what SW has done in the last 25 years or so and I don't like Aretha Franklin either but that's another debate :lol:

I don't see why discussing whether SW is still a soul singer or is now a pop singer is wrong and I personally have not made any jokes about him being blind so please can you direct your criticism at the person who posted the jokes and not me.

Much of what I collect I wouldn't really class as soul more of 60s girlie pop but it seems to work and people dance to it but I am open about not classing it as soul.

QoFxx

No dramas here Chrissie. I was incensed when I read the Stevie (blind joke). I don't like prejudice, so felt I had to comment.

It obviously wasn't aimed at you.

The reason for my first reply was I couldn't understand why, if you don't particularly like Stevie Wonder's contempary pop music and I agree it's not his best you would open it up for debate on a Soul forum when it just doesn't even nearly touch what would normally cross into your world. You've said you don't like his output from the early 70's onwards so why bother opening it up unless you want to be persuaded otherwise that's all. There's no point.

Kev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert