Margaret Little On Genebro

• Replies 42
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The 2004 and 2005 ebay auctions were both of individual copies that had separately and coincidentally walked into the same detroit record shop within a few months of each other. Up till that point, I think there were one, maybe two, copies known of in the collectors' world.

Social source share

the last copy that was on ebay came from a guy that worked as a handyman for a slumlord - he found a pile of records sitting next to a dumpster - they all seemingly had belonged to Tony Hestor - there were 2 'dancing a hole in the world' promos too

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Its a great tune. Honestly, some people have cloth ears ;-)

Until the last two turned up I thought Sam and Mick H were the only owners. No idea who got their lucky mits on the latest 2 though.

Social source share

Then he must have sold it

Well unless he's bought it recently, which I seriously doubt. I've never heard him play it at the 100 Club and when 6TS was at Jacks, I did actually ask him if he had it and he said no. I'll ask him again tomorrow.

Social source share

anybody like me and not like this record ?

I'll answer your question in two parts Dylan.

1. The record is OK - nothing ground-breaking for me though.

2. How can I say I like you when I don't even know you yet?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well unless he's bought it recently, which I seriously doubt. I've never heard him play it at the 100 Club and when 6TS was at Jacks, I did actually ask him if he had it and he said no. I'll ask him again tomorrow.

I always thought Butch bought the very first "known" Ebay copy (i.e. first copy that didn't slip through the net and picked up for next to nothing by some clever record hound) that went for 3-4K?

But very likely I am wrong and Butch hasn't got any reason not to tell the truth so I think you're right.

Social source share

I'll answer your question in two parts Dylan.

1. The record is OK - nothing ground-breaking for me though.

2. How can I say I like you when I don't even know you yet?? :unsure:

very good :thumbsup:

this record is second rate pop music to my ears. There is a good reason why some of these records are rare.

Social source share

Out of all the copies Sam payed the most for his !!

Mark S got his off ebay cheap (ish), Mick H didn't pay much more for his and i would imagine there are probably another 6 or 7 copies locked in collections, some in the UK (in the North west !!)

Probably 9 or 10 in total and how many still sat in thrift shops in the US ???

Great record imho, but whoever pressed it up did it a tad early as it hadn't really made it massive before it got shoved out to the masses :unsure:

Ian.

Social source share

First copy bought in Toledo for $7. Just a theory, but I'm still convinced this is a "Custom" record, although the backing is good, her voice is not good (to say the least), in comparism to the people that "Popcorn Wylie" had at his disposal - which would explain why nobody ever got a copy from him, he didn't even have a file copy, coz he made it for somebody else. Maybe all the other copies are in Margaret Littles loft?

Des Parker

Edited by SOUL.INC
Social source share

The 2004 and 2005 ebay auctions were both of individual copies that had separately and coincidentally walked into the same detroit record shop within a few months of each other. Up till that point, I think there were one, maybe two, copies known of in the collectors' world.

In fact those two sellers walked into the shop inbetween one week. So he told me. No real difference does it make though..

Marc

Social source share

remember butch playing it and as he is usually not selling (if he hasn´t got a spare which in this case is more then unlikely) I would think he still has it. Seem to remember arthur Fenn having one too ?

No Sir not me :( , never been a fan of Ms Littles, gd afternoon Mark :D , Arthur.

Social source share

remember butch playing it and as he is usually not selling (if he hasn´t got a spare which in this case is more then unlikely) I would think he still has it. Seem to remember arthur Fenn having one too ?

Pretty sure Butch has not got this Marc :(

Social source share

First copy bought in Toledo for $7. Just a theory, but I'm still convinced this is a "Custom" record, although the backing is good, her voice is not good (to say the least), in comparism to the people that "Popcorn Wylie" had at his disposal - which would explain why nobody ever got a copy from him, he didn't even have a file copy, coz he made it for somebody else. Maybe all the other copies are in Margaret Littles loft?

Des Parker

My thoughts as well Des.Its almost too perfect in production.

As for it being popcorn :( ,its a Motownesque rip-off,vocally i think she's quite soulful.A dancer as well.A little twee for today's scene in the light of harder tunes.

Could be the next Frank Wilson if the ad men pick up on it :D .

Social source share

My thoughts as well Des.Its almost too perfect in production.

As for it being popcorn :D ,its a Motownesque rip-off,vocally i think she's quite soulful.A dancer as well.A little twee for today's scene in the light of harder tunes.

Could be the next Frank Wilson if the ad men pick up on it :sleep3: .

there are already more copies of this than of frank wilson and its been known a fraction of the time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert