Guest shnaggletooth

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kid mohair

Belgian popcorn music is a musical cocktail and a sublime mix of 50s do wop, soul,and slow rock, this all with a taste of rumba, ska and cha cha and all started in 1969 in ostend..Hope that helps .Andy. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest kev such

Belgian popcorn music is a musical cocktail and a sublime mix of 50s do wop, soul,and slow rock, this all with a taste of rumba, ska and cha cha and all started in 1969 in ostend..Hope that helps .Andy. :ohmy:

Good explanation Andy, top form. Have you got that written down somewhere?

Social source share

Guest kev such

Course...what do you take me for.......... :ohmy:

From your previous post a very well educated man.

Have you played the flip of 50/50? Mr Bellamy wanted it off me when he heard it, so maybe thats Popcorn, not sure myself though.

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest kev such

Quite a strange dance they do also i hear....

Isnt it like a cross between very slow Rock n Roll and even slower jive? Without throwing your partner between your legs or over your head.

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Yes my lad one that we will be doing in the caravan.............. :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest shnaggletooth

Would the George Baker Selection - "Little Green Bag" qualify as popcorn? It's not slow-tempo'ed, but it's got a lot of that other stuff:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Would the George Baker Selection - "Little Green Bag" qualify as popcorn? It's not slow-tempo'ed, but it's got a lot of that other stuff:

Sorry no.i will put summat up.

Social source share

The snack, I understand; the musical style -- ? What is it?

Bizzare ! , schnaggletooth , you read my mind , I was going to ask the same question :D

Can anyone post any 'Classic' Popcorn tunes up for the un-initiated (Spelling ?)

and does 'Popcorn' get played out here?

I get a feeling this may not be as simple as first thought :lol:

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

Duh! garethx , whats Low Rider mate ? :thumbsup:

Swifty :unsure:

The Latin American gangs of Los Angeles used a lot of harmony soul as the soundtrack for their lifestyle of hanging out in their modified vintage cars which you may have seen bouncing along the road in TV shows and films.

That's a simplistic way of putting it, but hope it conveys the idea. Up until relatively recently 60s and 70s soul records were a big part of their culture, but in recent times it seems to have been supplanted by hip hop.

There are quite a few examples of records we regard as 'Northern Soul' being big (and avidly collected) on their scene: The Stoppers on Jubilee, The Ringleaders on M-Pac to name two. Groups like Thee Midnighters basically sprang from this scene.

Social source share

Can anyone think of a record which has been big on all of the Northern Soul, Popcorn, Beach and Low Rider scenes?

Leaving the Low rider scene aside (as I know FA about that), many Chicago Soul classics like "mama didn't lie" or many Major Lance tracks were or still are popular on the Northern, Popcorn and Beach scenes. Willie Tee "one way street" another example.

Social source share

Theres a whole series of Low Rider comps with super rares on like Joe Jama, Four Dynamics, Optimistics, El Count Executives and other stuff called 'Soulful Thangs' for those interested. They seemed to like an uptempo number in moderation, and mainly focused on sweet group soul, mostly male as well it would seem.

Was it mainly an LA thing Gareth?

Social source share

Guest posstot

Isn't popcorn, the name of a club which gave it's name to there scene.... To me Popcorn is just the "belgiumeeses" :thumbsup: slant on the sound of young black America. Ours is Northern Soul...The u.s itself seems to be the beach scene...Belgiums version is the popcorn scene...etc, etc. To describe popcorn as a different genre to ours completely, i feel, is codswollop. If you search popcorn on google, and look at some listings, sales histories actually 50 to 70 % of it is played here as NORTHERN SOUL-RnB- mod etc.

There is however a distinct feel to some of the belgiums choices. Sam Fletcher was brought to our attention through the popcorn scene.. I think the main difference is Tempo, really, thats all.

I'm far from an expert on there scene, but dealing with some dealers from there, there lists of sales are awash with the same artists we call "Northern". Funny that.....

Mike

Social source share

Theres a whole series of Low Rider comps with super rares on like Joe Jama, Four Dynamics, Optimistics, El Count Executives and other stuff called 'Soulful Thangs' for those interested. They seemed to like an uptempo number in moderation, and mainly focused on sweet group soul, mostly male as well it would seem.

Was it mainly an LA thing Gareth?

Hi Joel

I think LA was the biggest market, but in terms of making 'Mexican Soul' there were other significant centres: think of the large amount of 'brown-eyed' soul from San Antonio, Texas: Sunny & The Sunliners, Ray & his assorted groups, Joe Jama, the Texan Volumes on Garu etc. It's instructive to look at the Youtube comments on clips like "My Life" and realise that for the Mexican community in the southwestern US these records were anthems of long standing; in some cases for decades before the UK Northern scene picked up on them, mirroring instances like Sam Fletcher for the Belgian scene or Reggie Saddler Combo for the Beach fans.

I suppose the point I was trying to make was that it's often wrong to assume that we were the only people who were interested in these sounds; in time a good record will reach an audience of some sort and I think it's very interesting when records gain notoriety on a number of scenes quite independently of each other.

Social source share

Guest carnabychick

ner that ones not for parting with, good luck lol  tumbleweed3.gif

Shirl x

WILL get one...... or wear you down! :D
Social source share

Guest thierry

here is a taste of popcorn, it was broadcasted on national TV .

DJ Lucien, was already active as a dj in the 70s on the popcorn scene and is nowadays running a monthly night in Stambruges .

https://oldiesementphotos.blog4ever.com/blo...80-1042516.html

a biography (in dutch : will translate it when i have five minutes), but names of clubs are dropped .

https://www.popcornoldies.com/popcorn/index...4&Itemid=54

Freddy Coussaert (RIP), who ran the Groove in Ostend looked also after Marvin Gaye when he lived in Belgium .

Social source share

Hi I got a copy of this and IMHO it beats the pants of Ruth Browns version, love it too bits and Kev (rnb rookie) has bin trying to trade it with me ever since i got it lolllllllll :rolleyes:

Shirl x

Well I love both of them.

You have good taste. biggrin.gif

Suz

x

Social source share

The Latin American gangs of Los Angeles used a lot of harmony soul as the soundtrack for their lifestyle of hanging out in their modified vintage cars which you may have seen bouncing along the road in TV shows and films.

That's a simplistic way of putting it, but hope it conveys the idea. Up until relatively recently 60s and 70s soul records were a big part of their culture, but in recent times it seems to have been supplanted by hip hop.

There are quite a few examples of records we regard as 'Northern Soul' being big (and avidly collected) on their scene: The Stoppers on Jubilee, The Ringleaders on M-Pac to name two. Groups like Thee Midnighters basically sprang from this scene.

:rolleyes:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Isnt it like a cross between very slow Rock n Roll and even slower jive?

Went to a Popcorn event in Belgium on Saturday night - it's wonderful to watch a room full of people doing this dance (which, I think, is actually called 'The Touch' - the Belgians seem to call their scene 'touch music'...). Like the Shag it's couples oriented, and people who want to dance on their own are not encouraged to do so...

The selection of records played ranged from Tamiko's "Don't Laugh If I Cry At Your Party" to Jerry Butler's "Whatever You Want" to Kenny Lynch's "Puff" to "Third Window From The Right" to, er, Billy Fury's "I Will"! Oh, and Dee Dee Sharp did a fantastic full hour of live entertainment.

Suffice to say I had a great time... :ohmy:

TONE

PS - the boys from the TM Club are playing at the next 'No Way Out' in Manchester, I believe, if you want to get a better idea of the kind of music that they play over there as opposed to over here (although it's not that different really)...

Social source share

Do you mean the Jellybeans 'I'm Hip to You' b side of 'Boy You Don't Mean Me No Good' on Eskee.

Suz :ohmy:

x

Have just listened to it on Refosoul, yes that's it! Great track, love these mid-tempo things.

Thanks very much!

Alan

Social source share

The Latin American gangs of Los Angeles used a lot of harmony soul as the soundtrack for their lifestyle of hanging out in their modified vintage cars which you may have seen bouncing along the road in TV shows and films...

Watched a documentary on telly last night about california gangs and one called the NLR = Nazi Low Riders...wonder if they are lsitening to the same (good) music. I doubt it somehow as the yhave strong relations with the AB..

marc

Social source share

• 3 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert