What Are The Top 3 Uk Holy Grails For Collecting

Hi Tom,

You SURE about the Dee Dee Sharp - A Most Unusual Boy. Wasn't that the Shirelles?

Or, did you mean Dee Dee Sharp - He's No Ordinary Guy b/w Never Pick A Pretty Boy?

Denbo.

Have got this completely wrong................. It's...........

Dee Dee Sharp : It's a funny situation / There ain't nothing I wouldn't do (cameo Parkway C 382)

Cheers.............. Tom.

Social source share

Have got this completely wrong................. It's...........

Dee Dee Sharp : It's a funny situation / There ain't nothing I wouldn't do (cameo Parkway C 382)

Cheers.............. Tom.

Aah, that's more like it.

So, you think you saw one on eBay a while back?

UK issue. Or was it a Demo?

Pity you didn't keep a copy of the scan.

Now, does it actually exist? Was it ever released? Or, if it does exist at all, is it just as a Demo, or a test pressing?

If anybody has got a scan of it, please post it up.

Ta.

Social source share

Aah, that's more like it.

So, you think you saw one on eBay a while back?

UK issue. Or was it a Demo?

Pity you didn't keep a copy of the scan.

Now, does it actually exist? Was it ever released? Or, if it does exist at all, is it just as a Demo, or a test pressing?

If anybody has got a scan of it, please post it up.

Ta.

I don't believe "Funny Situation" / "There Aint Nothing i Wouldn't Do For You" came out on the UK in any form.

I picked up a UK Cameo Parkway "I Really Love You" / "Standing In The Need Of Love" on UK Demo (for 10p) back in the 70's (turns up regularly)... but "There Aint Nothing" was always known as the 'US Only' one (I've got a pic cover copy of the US copy, tucked away).

Sean

Social source share

:thumbup: Hi ALL

as a record collector of SOUL/ R&B/BLUES, REGGAE/ SKA / ROCK STREADY AND GOOD QUALITY POP!!

I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THE B&C LABELS ESPECIALLY DEMOS FOR EXAMPLE ACTION DEMOS AND EVEN ISLAND DEMOS WITH 3&6 THATS 3 SHILLINGS AND SIXPENCE STAMED ON THEM I CLASS THESE AND SIMULAR AS DEMOS BECOUSE THEY ALL COME FROM ORIGANALY MUSIC CITY SHOPS IN HARLSDON HOWEVER I WOULD LIKE A DEFINANT ANSWER ON THIS SUBJECT?.

ohmy.gif BUT IF REGGAE WAS TREATED IN THE SAME WAY AS WE COLLECT RARE UK SOUL WHAT WOULD BE A HOLY GRAIL? MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE THESE WHAT DO YOU THINK? SORRY PETE AINT GOT THE LIQUIDATOR! FORGET ABOUT PRE RELEASES AND ALL THAT THESE ARE YOUR ACTUAL DEMOS, HOW RARE ARE THEY? :lol: DAVE KIL

post-13241-1242758285_thumb.jpg

post-13241-1242760759_thumb.jpg

post-13241-1242761001_thumb.jpg

post-13241-1242761235_thumb.jpg

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Is that Lloyd & Glen or vice versa, don't think there is a Glenn Llloyd however I may be wrong.

OOPS its lloyd glenn Pete just dug it out to have a butchers mate.

100% mental stomper 80s stylee great brass goin on there.

If anyones got one put it up please i cant do it :thumbup:

cheers

Al H :lol:

Social source share

Guest noss

" I've only ever had 2 copies of Timi Yuro. Sold one of them on here earlier this year for £400 in VG+.

The patrice Holloway is very rare, especially as a stock copy".

Timi Yuro can't be truely rare in comparison to the price it goes for though can it? I mean, even I have one. A case of demand over supply of a scarce item rather than true rarity. I would be interested to know from those with more knowledge if rare UK soul records are generally more common then US ones, possibly due to the nature of our national recording industry having no true inde record labels at the time?

Social source share

Guest Dante

boxing.gif Hi ALL

as a record collector of SOUL/ R&B/BLUES, REGGAE/ SKA / ROCK STREADY AND GOOD QUALITY POP!!

I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED THE B&C LABELS ESPECIALLY DEMOS FOR EXAMPLE ACTION DEMOS AND EVEN ISLAND DEMOS WITH 3&6 THATS 3 SHILLINGS AND SIXPENCE STAMED ON THEM I CLASS THESE AND SIMULAR AS DEMOS BECOUSE THEY ALL COME FROM ORIGANALY MUSIC CITY SHOPS IN HARLSDON HOWEVER I WOULD LIKE A DEFINANT ANSWER ON THIS SUBJECT?.

:D BUT IF REGGAE WAS TREATED IN THE SAME WAY AS WE COLLECT RARE UK SOUL WHAT WOULD BE A HOLY GRAIL? MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE THESE WHAT DO YOU THINK? SORRY PETE AINT GOT THE LIQUIDATOR! FORGET ABOUT PRE RELEASES AND ALL THAT THESE ARE YOUR ACTUAL DEMOS, HOW RARE ARE THEY? :lol: DAVE KIL

HI there,

I believe the first one is JA Pama, it doesn't have the uk center. Besides, my JA Pama copy of Pat Kelly - How Long has the same design (full artist and track names, of course). About the other ones, I don't think they're so rare, as its the normal issue with a rubber stamp on it :P

" I've only ever had 2 copies of Timi Yuro. Sold one of them on here earlier this year for £400 in VG+.

The patrice Holloway is very rare, especially as a stock copy".

Timi Yuro can't be truely rare in comparison to the price it goes for though can it? I mean, even I have one. A case of demand over supply of a scarce item rather than true rarity. I would be interested to know from those with more knowledge if rare UK soul records are generally more common then US ones, possibly due to the nature of our national recording industry having no true inde record labels at the time?

Hahahah. Don't be so hard on yourself :P

Social source share

Denbo, Rod and anyone else interested,

the link to the unique UK press of the

AMBASSADORS - if I'm all you got (I'm all you need) vocal & inst. - Jox 005 /6

has now been fixed

to view and listen - follow this link

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/2

scroll down it's the 11th. record.

MAGIC!!! Thanks John.

Crackin' stomper.

Can't remember now but did we ever get to see a scan of the proper Jox label? Or are we only ever gonna see this label-less version?

PS - Is that the one and only UK released label on the whole of your 'Rarest Of The Rare' section???

Edited by denbo
Social source share

MAGIC!!! Thanks John.

Crackin' stomper.

Can't remember now but did we ever get to see a scan of the proper Jox label? Or are we only ever gonna see this label-less version?

Denbo,

I believe it was Test Press only. The JOX comes from the deadwax matrix which is the only clue to it's label name. JOX 005 / 006 is machine stamped (if I remember correctly) in.

The interesting thing on this release; is that the Instrumental version never got issued in the USA, and the vocal version was LP only, off the SOUL SUMMIT album.

So altogether a very weird and unusual release, by the feel of it, I guessed it was a 1970 press. Obviously Arctic records last USA releases were 1969. Maybe it was due for a ACTION release or something like. I've been keeping an eye-out for any UK 45 JOX in the deadwax, not found any yet, maybe someone else may come across it.

john

Social source share

Denbo,

I believe it was Test Press only. The JOX comes from the deadwax matrix which is the only clue to it's label name. JOX 005 / 006 is machine stamped (if I remember correctly) in.

The interesting thing on this release; is that the Instrumental version never got issued in the USA, and the vocal version was LP only, off the SOUL SUMMIT album.

So altogether a very weird and unusual release, by the feel of it, I guessed it was a 1970 press. Obviously Arctic records last USA releases were 1969. Maybe it was due for a ACTION release or something like. I've been keeping an eye-out for any UK 45 JOX in the deadwax, not found any yet, maybe someone else may come across it.

john

Thanks for the feedback / info.

Is that the one and only UK released label on the whole of your 'Rarest Of The Rare' section???

Social source share

Never seen that Venus label, anything else on it? Presumably that's the same Alan Martin on Rio...

Personally I prefer the Sensations version of 'Loser' on Doctor Bird, but the Harriott's a good 'un too.

Where's that Ray Barretto from? That's never British on Pink Elephant, surely? unsure.gif

The Pink Elephant labels I've seen come from either The Netherlands or Turkey, and they've always been by Shocking Blue. Wonder if this is the same label (despite the "All Rights Reserved" around the label edge)?

Pete??

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

The Pink Elephant labels I've seen come from either The Netherlands or Turkey, and they've always been by Shocking Blue. Wonder if this is the same label (despite the "All Rights Reserved" around the label edge)?

Pete??

I honestly don't know Gene, I thought it was Belgian but most people are saying it's from Holland.

Social source share

Guest john s

Pink Elephant and Blue Elephant were both labels owned by DURECO (the DUtch REcord COmpany). Lots of nice stuff on there in different genres, LPs as well as 45s.

Social source share

Denbo,

john

Any one got a full version of Vocal or Inst they can post in Refosoul?

Social source share

boxing.gif Hi ALL

:lol: BUT IF REGGAE WAS TREATED IN THE SAME WAY AS WE COLLECT RARE UK SOUL WHAT WOULD BE A HOLY GRAIL? MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE THESE WHAT DO YOU THINK? SORRY PETE AINT GOT THE LIQUIDATOR! FORGET ABOUT PRE RELEASES AND ALL THAT THESE ARE YOUR ACTUAL DEMOS, HOW RARE ARE THEY? :lol: DAVE KIL

Never seen demo copys of these before there rare. I was once told that the sue labels if ther have a black line in the top right hand corner that they are demos is this correct ?

Social source share

Never seen demo copys of these before there rare. I was once told that the sue labels if ther have a black line in the top right hand corner that they are demos is this correct ?

No, thats a long established rumour - they are actually using up stock of their old labels which say "licensed from Sue Records USA" and ther black box is simply overprinting that to cover up that wording.

Social source share

No, thats a long established rumour - they are actually using up stock of their old labels which say "licensed from Sue Records USA" and ther black box is simply overprinting that to cover up that wording.

UK Sue Demos, believe it or not, are stock copies, rubber stamped with a black letter A about 1" in height.

Social source share

Got one here - Jerry Butler - I stand accused..

So, I take it that one has the 'A' stamped in the middle?

I've got Betty Everett's - I've Got A Claim On You. And it's for sale. Any takers? PM me with best offer. From memory, it's in Ex- condition.

Social source share

Yep, like I said, rubber stamped 'A' anywhere BUT centre. :thumbup:

Nice one Seb.

just out of interest what were the red and white sue labels ? had booby parker barefootin on one of these

col

Social source share

just out of interest what were the red and white sue labels ? had booby parker barefootin on one of these

col

i meant bobby ! what a tit ?

Social source share

You meant Robert!

yep thats it next post>>>> how many posts did it take colboy to not only get to the right label but also the right artist lol!!!!

Social source share

For instance was it Amazing Dancing Band "Deep blue train" on Verve? .

Never seen an issue of that I don't think, only demos - very bizarre track, I once found their LP and it was all cover versions of chart hits - except for that track.

I was just going through me British, forgot I'd got one of these. Just played it :lol: bet they never sold many copies on release :lol: It's just that I like Verve sleeves & I need records to put in them.

post-2021-1243442901_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!