What Are The Top 3 Uk Holy Grails For Collecting

Guest alanbonthrone

count prince miller /downbeats. u,k mca. "what does it take to win your love." same as jnr. walker. any info on .

Social source share

great thread !!!

thought id throw a few in!!!!

stella starr .....bring him back .....piccadily

applejacks......youve been cheating.....cbs

bobby bennett....your ready now....columbia

queen of fools....issue

bernice swanson...lying awake.....chess demo

cinderellas.....on ....colpix

has anyone got a complete set of action demos?

Huh, don't know that Applejacks? Gotta sound file?

I've got other Applejacks records but I don't think that's amongst them?

Cinderellas. Nice one.

What about Joe Dutton on the Action stuff?

I like the organised look about your record room. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Huh, don't know that Applejacks? Gotta sound file?

I've got other Applejacks records but I don't think that's amongst them?

Cinderellas. Nice one.

What about Joe Dutton on the Action stuff?

I like the organised look about your record room. biggrin.gif

re the applejacks....its their only release on cbs ....had it years ago ....now want it back!!!!!

Records eh! they get everywhere dont they!!!!!

Social source share

great thread !!!

thought id throw a few in!!!!

stella starr .....bring him back .....piccadily

applejacks......youve been cheating.....cbs

bobby bennett....your ready now....columbia

queen of fools....issue

bernice swanson...lying awake.....chess demo

cinderellas.....on ....colpix

has anyone got a complete set of action demos?

It's an interesting list but hardly 'Holy Grail' stuff, except the Barbara Mills issue.

Applejacks is a great version.

Never known why The Ciinderellas is even listed as it's 100% girl group, not Northern.

Social source share

It's an interesting list but hardly 'Holy Grail' stuff, except the Barbara Mills issue.

Applejacks is a great version.

Never known why The Ciinderellas is even listed as it's 100% girl group, not Northern.

Is Barbara Mills issue really super-rare, what's the story? And is it still sought after. I picked one up in a car boot sale about 15 years ago, so vested interest interest here from me.

Social source share

Is Barbara Mills issue really super-rare, what's the story? And is it still sought after. I picked one up in a car boot sale about 15 years ago, so vested interest interest here from me.

Yeah very rare, sought after because of that I think rather than whats on the vinyl, good as it is. It's harder than the demo but would only sell for the same price.

Social source share

Apparantly there's only 6 known copies. Apart from my own, Searlings, which is cracked, and Mick Smith's, I used to know who had the other 3 but have now forgotten. Think I've got it written down at home somewhere though. The sixth and last copy being sold by Ian Clark about 4 or 5 years ago to whomever?

Social source share

Did anyone see the Dane Hunter last night on Ebay. CBS demo "Silly little girl" which I assume is Tams version. Anyone know it?

Agree with Pete Applejacks is rare and obscure but not particularly sought after. Plenty of oddball UK you don't see much.

For instance was it Amazing Dancing Band "Deep blue train" on Verve? My mate has had an Ila Vann [i think it's her] 45 "Flying solo" on a small UK label since we were at school. Didn't sound much good in 1970. Must ask if he still has it.

ROD

Social source share

For instance was it Amazing Dancing Band "Deep blue train" on Verve? .

Never seen an issue of that I don't think, only demos - very bizarre track, I once found their LP and it was all cover versions of chart hits - except for that track.

Social source share

Never seen an issue of that I don't think, only demos - very bizarre track, I once found their LP and it was all cover versions of chart hits - except for that track.

Come to think of it, you're right, I've never seen an issue of the Amazing Dancing Band. Lp yes, 45 no.

Social source share

Apparantly there's only 6 known copies. Apart from my own, Searlings, which is cracked, and Mick Smith's, I used to know who had the other 3 but have now forgotten. Think I've got it written down at home somewhere though. The sixth and last copy being sold by Ian Clark about 4 or 5 years ago to whomever?

Hi Denbo, do you know how Richards copy manage to become cracked. I have a particular interest in this one as I was the previous owner, and could give you the history of it if you are interested.

Hi bob,

My understanding, from Richard himself, but donkies years ago so it's a bit hazey, is that whilst unloading his record boxes from the boot of his car, he left one box on the floor by mistake then proceeded to reverse over it. Apparantly, the only record damaged in the whole box was the Billy Harner. Is this correct / true?

As for the history of the 45 before Richard ended up with it, I'd be very interested. Please PM me. :D

Social source share

Did anyone see the Dane Hunter last night on Ebay. CBS demo "Silly little girl" which I assume is Tams version. Anyone know it?

Agree with Pete Applejacks is rare and obscure but not particularly sought after. Plenty of oddball UK you don't see much.

For instance was it Amazing Dancing Band "Deep blue train" on Verve? My mate has had an Ila Vann [i think it's her] 45 "Flying solo" on a small UK label since we were at school. Didn't sound much good in 1970. Must ask if he still has it.

ROD

Regarding the Ila Vann, was the label Pathway? Or something like that?

Social source share

all the Pink Elephant 45s i've had are from Holland. Are we listing European releases as well?

Denbo & Rod, I'll get that Ambassadors Soundfile sorted if I can, otherwise I'll have to get the guy who bought the copy, to let me soundfile it again.

Sorry about that, I'll find someone to blame on Monday.

john

Right, who did you blame? :D

Social source share

We have mentioned this before on S/S.

Black Mother Goose.Sam Nesbit. on 444.lable.

Ady Croasdell,had a demo and then let it go,and never to be seen again :D

Kev :thumbsup:

Kev :thumbsup:

Does this mean YOU'VE got it?

If so, could you please PM me a scan?

Cheers.

Social source share

Does "Cant Turn Around" by Fork In The Road on Ember exist in any form?

Someone in a later posting seems to think so. At least, they've listed it as a contender to the intention of this thread.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Someone in a leter posting seems to think so. At least, they've listed it as a contender to the intention of this thread.

If someone can find Rob Pheasants website, he has scans of the covers of all my old fanzines and the Fork In The Road issue is on the cover of issue 6 or 7

Social source share

If someone can find Rob Pheasants website, he has scans of the covers of all my old fanzines and the Fork In The Road issue is on the cover of issue 6 or 7

Fork In The Road scan here, not great pic to be honest but if I can find the original I will, it's on issue 7 cover

https://roundblackrecords.piczo.com/soulmag...;linkvar=000044

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Oh, I remember that one - I think you would have paid less than I sold it for though.

Crazy thing that record - Just like busses ...

First Demo copy I had was Nev Wherry's , which ended up in the hands of Tony Clayton in the early eighties.

Then nothing for 25 or more years ... until 2007 when FOUR DEMO copies went through my hands.

1 - Bought from Mick Smith (eBay) - copy destoyed by Post Office.

2 - After Mick claimed (unsuccesfully, even though it was Spec Del) he sent me his own copy.

3 - Private sale from Birmingham (only vg) - but under a ton.

4 - Another off eBay - this must be the one you have now.

There was another on eBay at the time of Number 1 above, but I think this became Number 4.

I've still got Number 2

Anyone got a soundclip of a blue stock - would like to hear the differences.

Cheers

Mick

And Nev got lots of his UK off me and Pete Wid when we bought the soul from DJ David Gell's BBC Radio collection.

Social source share

Yeah very rare, sought after because of that I think rather than whats on the vinyl, good as it is. It's harder than the demo but would only sell for the same price.

Good news indeed. Will keep the issue and stop looking for the demo anymore! thumbsup.gif

Julian

Social source share

Hi Denbo, do you know how Richards copy manage to become cracked. I have a particular interest in this one as I was the previous owner, and could give you the history of it if you are interested.

Until recently, I also had a copy of the instrumental - I got it from Pat Brady in the very early nineties, and sold it 18 months ago through Blue Max for an offer I couldn't refuse.

I know of one other that isn't mentioned here, a copy that was offered to me by "Chunky Phil" (Phil Simner) who was manager of a record shop in Wolverhampton at the time. He offered it me for £12.00 in 1975 when I knew nothing about it's history. So, as £12 was mega bucks, I refused it, and bought Bok to Bach demo for £20 instead. That copy stayed in Wolverhampton.

Social source share

That rings a bell tho' think more likely Patheway.

If you are interested in details I could email him. He doesn't usually throw anything away.

ROD

I was in two minds whether or not to add that 'e'. :smile:

Yeah, sure, please email him, I'm always interested in details.

If I was at home I could have verified my suspicions by checking out reference books and searching through my own records to see if I've got it, which I think I do.

Social source share

Got one of my Grails this year after years of searching..

Felix Harris - Walkin in the night - Counterpart

I may be wrong, but this is shit rare...only two known copies.. though i'm sure someone will now prove me wrong on that point.. or will they!!????

Is that a UK release?

Never heard of it before now.

Any chance of sending a PM with a sound file and / or a scan?

Appreciate it if you could.

Social source share

Until recently, I also had a copy of the instrumental - I got it from Pat Brady in the very early nineties, and sold it 18 months ago through Blue Max for an offer I couldn't refuse.

I know of one other that isn't mentioned here, a copy that was offered to me by "Chunky Phil" (Phil Simner) who was manager of a record shop in Wolverhampton at the time. He offered it me for £12.00 in 1975 when I knew nothing about it's history. So, as £12 was mega bucks, I refused it, and bought Bok to Bach demo for £20 instead. That copy stayed in Wolverhampton.

Cheers for that Mick,

I have been communicating with bob this afternoon, so an update on what you've written could result in the following list of owners of the Billy Harner instrumental;

1. Denbo.

2. Mick Smith.

3. Richard Searling.

4. Steve Glover (possibly).

5. Ian Ainsley (possibly).

6. The copy Ian Clark sold a few years ago.

7. The Wolverhampton copy. Unless it is one of the above.

I wonder if anybody else could expand / confirm / deny on the above list?

Social source share

Cheers for that Mick,

I have been communicating with bob this afternoon, so an update on what you've written could result in the following list of owners of the Billy Harner instrumental;

1. Denbo.

2. Mick Smith.

3. Richard Searling.

Hi Denbo,

Should have made it mor clear - I was talking about Two copies here

1 My copy from Pat Brady, went via Blue Max to a private collector in West Mids (I think he may wish to remain anonymous, although it's probably safe to say that on the odd occassion he DJ's he does play it)

2 The copy I stupidly refused in '75 was a different copy, and this went to a Wolves collector, along with all of the remainder of Phil Simners' records.

(I'll PM you the names)

Cheers

Mick Holdsworth

Social source share

Cheers for that Mick,

1. Denbo.

2. Mick Smith.

3. Richard Searling.

This guy I used to know was partly responsible for getting the Billy Harner released on kama Sutra and he told me that they sent most of them back because when they came, they had the instrumental instead of the vocal! 100% certain of this story and the guy in question

Social source share

This guy I used to know was partly responsible for getting the Billy Harner released on kama Sutra and he told me that they sent most of them back because when they came, they had the instrumental instead of the vocal! 100% certain of this story and the guy in question

Was that Alan Day?

Social source share

Was that Alan Day?

No it's not a known 'name' but Max will know who I mean - chap who used to work in our local record shop/tv repair shop, apparently according to carl Dene he was a bit of a dark horse and attended the Cats from 1967 onwards, never danced, just listened. Every time I asked him if he knew a record, the next day he'd bring one in for me.

Social source share

Pete ,I had an issue of this from Picton street,( Amazing dancing band)had it on tape from second or third night at Wigan played by Richard, went home and struggled through my endless popsingles catalogues untill i found the number!! infact i still have the tape somewhere???

Steve

My memory is shot Steve, can't remember whether I ended up with yours...if not I had the LP and a mate had the 7". Age huh? :thumbsup:

Social source share

No it's not a known 'name' but Max will know who I mean - chap who used to work in our local record shop/tv repair shop, apparently according to carl Dene he was a bit of a dark horse and attended the Cats from 1967 onwards, never danced, just listened. Every time I asked him if he knew a record, the next day he'd bring one in for me.

Bloody hell, you could do with a guy like that these days. Mention record one day, next day he has one for you. That's a collectors dream.

Carl Dene? Is he still knocking about on the scene? Is he the British collector who also collected antiques?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Cheers for that Mick,

1. Denbo.

2. Mick Smith.

3. Richard Searling.

Hi, all............... Becket here again...................

Big UK collector, in his time, was Brian Harrison fron Ashbourne in Staffs. He had the orig (ie only known copy at the time) of Ben E King ICBTNTM . He swapped this with Mick Smith for a big UK Motown Demo that he needed. Brian, myself and Richard Yaxley were THE big UK Motown demo collectors at that time and bought for each other as we found them. Brian also had a copy of Billy Harner INSTRUMENTAL and I am pretty sure swapped it with Richard (Brian being in the area where ALL those INSTR's originated from - there is a story in this on its own that someone may like to tell ?)

As Pete Smith has said, his Beatin' Rhythm fanzine featured a lot of RARE UK stuff we sent in to him. I sent in a lot of UK Motown stuff, Eddie Hubbard from Banbury sent in some really nice UK Northern demo stuff. And loads of other peeps also sent in their rare stuff - you got to see ALL the stuff you wanted on British ! I remember clearly Rob Pheasants UK Ember Fork in the road. I have never ever seen another in over 35 years of collecting.

I also mentioned some other stuff in my earlier post - what about Dee Dee Sharp's - A most unusual boy (Cameo Parkway) ?

I am sure I saw a UK issue of this go on ebay in the last couple of years - I have tried to find it but no luck on Popsike or the like.

I wish I had printed it out now and kept it. Anyone know of or got one of these?

The Lou Johnson - Unsatisfied (UK Atlantic - Monument mispress demo) is on Popsike. Only the 2nd one Mick Smith has ever seen and went for £350 or so.

Never seen a Barbara Mills issue. Loads of white demo's over the years. If the person who has one could post up a scan that would be brill.

As for Richard Searling's cracked copy of Billy Harner. I heard the same story of him reversing over his record box - it was the FIRST one in there and took a direct hit !

This thread brings back a lot of memories of searching through record shops like Reddingtons and The Diskery in Birmingham; Portobello Rd in London; trying to get early copies of Record Collector from the distribution warehouse etc etc................ long before the days of ebay !

Cheers..................... Tom. Banbury.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Never seen a Barbara Mills issue. Loads of white demo's over the years. If the person who has one could post up a scan that would be brill.

I'll do a scan on Thursday when I'm in the office, unless the other BM owner posts up before hand.

Dean

Social source share

Big UK collector, in his time, was Brian Harrison fron Ashbourne in Staffs. He had the orig (ie only known copy at the time) of Ben E King ICBTNTM . He swapped this with Mick Smith for a big UK Motown Demo that he needed. Brian, myself and Richard Yaxley were THE big UK Motown demo collectors at that time and bought for each other as we found them. Brian also had a copy of Billy Harner INSTRUMENTAL and I am pretty sure swapped it with Richard (Brian being in the area where ALL those INSTR's originated from - there is a story in this on its own that someone may like to tell ?)

As Pete Smith has said, his Beatin' Rhythm fanzine featured a lot of RARE UK stuff we sent in to him. I sent in a lot of UK Motown stuff, Eddie Hubbard from Banbury sent in some really nice UK Northern demo stuff. And loads of other peeps also sent in their rare stuff - you got to see ALL the stuff you wanted on British ! I remember clearly Rob Pheasants UK Ember Fork in the road. I have never ever seen another in over 35 years of collecting.

I also mentioned some other stuff in my earlier post - what about Dee Dee Sharp's - A most unusual boy (Cameo Parkway) ?

I am sure I saw a UK issue of this go on ebay in the last couple of years - I have tried to find it but no luck on Popsike or the like.

I wish I had printed it out now and kept it. Anyone know of or got one of these?

The Lou Johnson - Unsatisfied (UK Atlantic - Monument mispress demo) is on Popsike. Only the 2nd one Mick Smith has ever seen and went for £350 or so.

As for Richard Searling's cracked copy of Billy Harner. I heard the same story of him reversing over his record box - it was the FIRST one in there and took a direct hit !

This thread brings back a lot of memories of searching through record shops like Reddingtons and The Diskery in Birmingham; Portobello Rd in London; trying to get early copies of Record Collector from the distribution warehouse etc etc................ long before the days of ebay !

I remember all that Motown stuff you sent in Tom. That was 20 years ago, unbelievable isn't it. Wish I had a set of the magazines myself!

By the way it wasn't Rob Pheasant's Fork In The Road, it was Roy Gelder's.

Social source share

A good freind of mine was in Jumbo Records Leeds during the 70's when a guy brought back one of the Billy Harner's complaining that there was no singing on it !! Wonder where that copy ended up , probably sent back to the record plant to be melted down ...........Best,Eddie

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Heres a rare one Glenn LLoyd What you got on uk doctor bird was spun in the stafford era as simon and the piemen in your head.

Mental stomper.

Al H :lol:

Edited by CapitolSC
Social source share

"Revelation Movement" 'Just A Little Misunderstanding' soundalike is probably the rarest UK 70's Soul 45, in my experience.

60's one off, UK rarities, gotta mention the BBC copy of the Impressions "Nothing Can Stop Me" which, after being made an offer I couldn't refuse, I eventually sold to Graham Coates.

Sean

Social source share

Hi Tom,

You SURE about the Dee Dee Sharp - A Most Unusual Boy. Wasn't that the Shirelles?

Or, did you mean Dee Dee Sharp - He's No Ordinary Guy b/w Never Pick A Pretty Boy?

Denbo.

Social source share

A good freind of mine was in Jumbo Records Leeds during the 70's when a guy brought back one of the Billy Harner's complaining that there was no singing on it !! Wonder where that copy ended up , probably sent back to the record plant to be melted down ...........Best,Eddie

No it didn't wink.gif

Julian

Social source share

Heres a rare one Glenn LLoyd What you got on uk doctor bird was spun in the stafford era as simon and the piemen in your head.

Mental stomper.

Al H wink.gif

Is that Lloyd & Glen or vice versa, don't think there is a Glenn Llloyd however I may be wrong.

Social source share

"Revelation Movement" 'Just A Little Misunderstanding' soundalike is probably the rarest UK 70's Soul 45, in my experience.

60's one off, UK rarities, gotta mention the BBC copy of the Impressions "Nothing Can Stop Me" which, after being made an offer I couldn't refuse, I eventually sold to Graham Coates.

Sean

That's a weird one because I always thought that was the only way to get that but it came out in Spain.

Social source share

boxing.gif MY 1st WAS THE WIGAN CASINO CAKE! FROM THE 1st ANNAVERSARY?

THIS IS MY 2nd, IT TOOK ME 28 YEARS TO FIND THIS UK DEMO OF ARCHIE BELLS HERE I GO AGAIN DEMO? BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY I FOUND IT ELUSIVE FOR SUCH A COMMEN ISSUE? :lol: DAVE KIL

post-13241-1242747745_thumb.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!