What Are The Top 3 Uk Holy Grails For Collecting

Very intresting thread and i must say, a breath of fresh air, i admit to knowing nothing about the british side of collecting, a bit off topic i know but could i ask a question, i have paul anka-when we get there- on green rca, was can`t help loving you also a british release?

No but it came out in Germany with a pic sleeve.

That's quite a rare demo that When We Get There. Well I haven't got it anyway!

Social source share

any scan of the john drevars issue ,seen a couple of demos on e bay in the last 6 months

You'll see it on the Auction MONDAY, the website is being tweeked at the moment, with some new improvements, which will be finished on Monday, so I can't add anything up at the mo' in case I throw a spanner in the works..

So the new 16 will go up hopefully on Monday they will include J.D. on a stock copy. Pauline will be pleased..

Ambassodars , i've just added to Rarest of the rare so yuo can see and hear it

here's a link https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/2

11th. record from the top.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

No but it came out in Germany with a pic sleeve.

Have you actually seen a copy or just heard of one?

Thing is, I was told many many years ago by a german dealer that one of Anka's Northern tracks came out in Germany but he didn't tell me which one. Never seen an actual copy of either "When we get there" or "Cant help loving" so I assumed this information was not true.

Social source share

Does "Cant Turn Around" by Fork In The Road on Ember exist in any form?

Test pressing / acetate I seem to recall. Same as Darryl Stewart, and also "Hung up in Mid Air".

Though I would cvall these rare, wouldn'ty see them as Holy grails of UK collecting.....

Great thread.......PS thanks for the clarity on the Chris Jackson SOul City 120, and 444 releases, was still on my first cappuccino of the day when I typed that all in....:D

No thanks on the Billy Harner, though the Ian Clark copy went to someone in the West Midlands who is on here.

Steve

Social source share

You'll see it on the Auction MONDAY, the website is being tweeked at the moment, with some new improvements, which will be finished on Monday, so I can't add anything up at the mo' in case I throw a spanner in the works..

So the new 16 will go up hopefully on Monday they will include J.D. on a stock copy. Pauline will be pleased..

Ambassodars , i've just added to Rarest of the rare so yuo can see and hear it

here's a link https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/rarest-of-the-rare/2

11th. record from the top.

"96 tears" when just played now, John?

ROD

Social source share

but would chapter five demo be in the top 3 g.gif

I nearly got one of these in the early 80s, a guy was selling one at a nighter for £10 but I didnt have the cash, asked around a few mates (or so I thought) when I finally managed to get the cash went back and one of the people I had tried to borrow the money from had been and bought it himself !!!!!! :D:)

Social source share

ebony keys

if you knew

if you knew

piccadilly

Posted info:

Pete will say he has had 20 copys of this in the last 12 months but it took me 20 years to get a decent copy !

I love it .......... it is just so nice........perfect..... and so Mod ........ very Soulful !

enjoy ! :D

post-6465-1242341883_thumb.jpg

Picked my copy up about 6 months ago for £15 :)

Social source share

Is Wilson Pickett - Let me be your boy on British MGM rare these days?

And what about Lee Tomlins on CBS?

My mate Gaz Keen used to have a cracking British Collection, in fact he wrote a british collectors guide ( which I still have the only copy of) unfortunately his wife sold the lot for £400 when she fxcked off and left him!!!!!!!! :D

Social source share

Guest veep1296

I've got Gene McDaniels on a red and white demo , also how about Jimmy Thomas on a Paraphone issue ? [ haven't got one tho ' !!] Best,Eddie

Hi Eddie,

I have JT on Parlophone issue (& DJ) and G Mc D both formats too..sad innit!

Did you get the pic of me @ E Hubbard St in Chicago i emailed?

Regards

David

Social source share

"96 tears" when just played now, John?

ROD

so damn hard to get good help these days, Lisa typed in the wrong #. Try it now fingers crossed it should play the right tune.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Very intresting thread and i must say, a breath of fresh air, i admit to knowing nothing about the british side of collecting, a bit off topic i know but could i ask a question, i have paul anka-when we get there- on green rca, was can`t help loving you also a british release?

It was re-issued in 1974

P :D

Social source share

Not a Holy Grail but more of a weird one. Nella Dodds - come see about me - Pye test press. It has a loud raw drum intro, infact the whole record is louder, compared to the actual release. It has a different deadwax number it ends in 1T compared to 1S on the release.

post-2021-1242400960_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Have you actually seen a copy or just heard of one?

Thing is, I was told many many years ago by a german dealer that one of Anka's Northern tracks came out in Germany but he didn't tell me which one. Never seen an actual copy of either "When we get there" or "Cant help loving" so I assumed this information was not true.

Yes I've seen it, only on ebay though

Social source share

Test pressing / acetate I seem to recall. Same as Darryl Stewart, and also "Hung up in Mid Air".

Though I would cvall these rare, wouldn'ty see them as Holy grails of UK collecting.....

Steve, see above, I printed a scan of the issue of Fork In The Road back in about 1992 in Beatin Rhythm magazine, it belonged to, as usual, Roy Gelder. It's the same design as Mr Floods party.

Social source share

I had one of those years ago , possibly out of Neil Rushton's collection , never seen another .I've got The Spellbinders " Help me " on a UK CBS demo [ bit tatty but plays great ] is this rare ? Best ,Eddie

Not that rare but still £100 worth Eddie - that's what I'd ask for it now. The jamo Thomas demo is super rare.

Social source share

Hi Eddie,

I have JT on Parlophone issue (& DJ) and G Mc D both formats too..sad innit!

Did you get the pic of me @ E Hubbard St in Chicago i emailed?

Regards

David

Nice one's Dave [ you anorak :D ] yes did get the photo , sorry , thought I'd replied mate .Hope you are all well up in Burnley ,Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

What about Tribe - Dancing To The Beat Of My Heart - R&W Polydor demo? Bit of a pop stomper thing but got to be a pretty rare one? Any ideas on value anyone? Of course my knowledge of UK stuff could be written on the back of a postage stamp so I await loads of replies telling me it's 1. Sh*te and 2. Common as sh*te :wicked: .

Social source share

What about Tribe - Dancing To The Beat Of My Heart - R&W Polydor demo? Bit of a pop stomper thing but got to be a pretty rare one? Any ideas on value anyone? Of course my knowledge of UK stuff could be written on the back of a postage stamp so I await loads of replies telling me it's 1. Sh*te and 2. Common as sh*te :wicked: .

It's rare, it's good as well, just not a lot of demand for it

Social source share

Has collecting british more credible now, as it never used to be?

P :)

Always used to be because there were no imports until the late 60's so everyone collected UK releases. A lot of people collected or collect UK to make it look like they've been at it for years and years :wicked: but it's always been credible, very credible..

Social source share

think i done well bringing this thread up pete, you get to show off loadsa rare uk stuff :wicked::):D

Some rare but some are just interesting, I mean that thing on Venus, nobody else has turned one up yet, the Top Rank demo just looks beautiful, the one on Rio, Louie Louie demo, I mean I've never had that before on a demo..and so on

Social source share

Thanks for posting up the scans Pete , always good to drool over :) !! I love the other Jon Ford " Running around " ,I've got that on a Phillips demo - rare ? Got a Jimmy Beaumont demo , never seen an issue are they harder ? Keep ' em coming mate ,Best,Eddie

I'm done now I think Eddie, everyones seen most of them before, I like to collect the really obscure ones myself but am too embarassed to show some of them :wicked:

I think I've had more Jimmy Beaumont issues than demos, remember paying £25 for the first one back in 1988.

Don't know about the value of that Jon Ford record, we do occasionally find his records round here as he's always lived in the area but never found YGMWYWM and he hasn't got a copy either.

n.b. the demo is a different take to the issue

Social source share

I'm done now I think Eddie, everyones seen most of them before, I like to collect the really obscure ones myself but am too embarassed to show some of them :wicked:

I think I've had more Jimmy Beaumont issues than demos, remember paying £25 for the first one back in 1988.

Don't know about the value of that Jon Ford record, we do occasionally find his records round here as he's always lived in the area but never found YGMWYWM and he hasn't got a copy either.

n.b. the demo is a different take to the issue

was a big bowie fan at senior school before northern came along bet the bowie record is worth a few bob

• Helpful 1
Social source share

great thread lads :wicked: Enjoying the reading and reminiscing :) . Nice scans Pete.

Great seeing some of those old UK labels again CBS blimey :D . Used to be part and parcel of collecting at one time mixing in british with imports--in fact to get something on british was a'prize'

Was only talking to someone at work today about labels and British and he floored me when he said

Rufus lumley I'm standing on Stateside demo would prob fetch 2/300 quid!! I dont know nowadays what things go for but ..........................??

Social source share

Always used to be because there were no imports until the late 60's so everyone collected UK releases. A lot of people collected or collect UK to make it look like they've been at it for years and years :wicked: but it's always been credible, very credible..

Definitely your field Pete, mine's got 6 horses in it :)

P :D

Social source share

was a big bowie fan at senior school before northern came along bet the bowie record is worth a few bob

I used to have a phenomenal Bowie collection but sold them all, got a few back now, that one is I think one of the greatest records of the 60's.

Social source share

I used to have a phenomenal Bowie collection but sold them all, got a few back now, that one is I think one of the greatest records of the 60's.

had a copy of space oddity on blue phillips, put it on e bay last year was told id get 50 for it :wicked: , one person bid got 99p :)

Social source share

No I won't say that, I had it long ago but haven't bought one since because it's f*cking sh*t...

Stop it Smiffy !!!!!!! Stop it now !!!!! I wont stand for this slander !!! :( Leave my Ebony alone !!!!!

And the Carstairs is great too ! :(

Moss :(

Social source share

I dont really collect British & dont know much about it, but i do have a copy of Baby Washington on UA thanks to Disco Dave & wondered how rare this was ?........great record BTW.

Russ

So you just giving me a good ignoring to.....................or what !!!!

Skanky Uk collectors........

Russ

Social source share

So you just giving me a good ignoring to.....................or what !!!!

Skanky Uk collectors........

Russ

Sorry Russ if I'd have seen your question I'd have answered it, both Mick Smith and myself reckon this is worth no more than £40 but it sold for something mind-boggling in a JM auction, maybe someone pressed the wrong number on the keyboard. I swear I wouldn't ask more than £60 for a demo. Used to be a fiver. Terrible record though.

Social source share

Guest john s

Some rare but some are just interesting, I mean that thing on Venus, nobody else has turned one up yet, the Top Rank demo just looks beautiful, the one on Rio, Louie Louie demo, I mean I've never had that before on a demo..and so on

Never seen that Venus label, anything else on it? Presumably that's the same Alan Martin on Rio...

Personally I prefer the Sensations version of 'Loser' on Doctor Bird, but the Harriott's a good 'un too.

Where's that Ray Barretto from? That's never British on Pink Elephant, surely? :unsure:

Social source share

Never seen that Venus label, anything else on it? Presumably that's the same Alan Martin on Rio...

Personally I prefer the Sensations version of 'Loser' on Doctor Bird, but the Harriott's a good 'un too.

Where's that Ray Barretto from? That's never British on Pink Elephant, surely? :unsure:

all the Pink Elephant 45s i've had are from Holland. Are we listing European releases as well?

Denbo & Rod, I'll get that Ambassadors Soundfile sorted if I can, otherwise I'll have to get the guy who bought the copy, to let me soundfile it again.

Sorry about that, I'll find someone to blame on Monday.

john

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Sorry Russ if I'd have seen your question I'd have answered it, both Mick Smith and myself reckon this is worth no more than £40 but it sold for something mind-boggling in a JM auction, maybe someone pressed the wrong number on the keyboard. I swear I wouldn't ask more than £60 for a demo. Used to be a fiver. Terrible record though.

Thank you Pete, appreciate the info, good tune tho & the dancer was LP only in the US.

Russ

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!