What Are The Top 3 Uk Holy Grails For Collecting

So its possible then Tony?

Anyway ...........My fav 45 on uk at the moment (and has been for years) is Ebony Keys - If you knew on piccadilly

A lovley Soulful dancer from the start to the finish !

Pure class!

Social source share

Pete will say he has had 20 copys of this in the last 12 months but it took me 20 to get my copy !

I love it .......... it is just so nice.............so Mod ........ so Soulful !

Should have asked me :thumbsup: ....had a nice clean demo for sale for over 6 months with no takers! Thinking I might keep it now as it is a pretty tasty track :D

Social source share

Should have asked me :thumbsup: ....had a nice clean demo for sale for over 6 months with no takers! Thinking I might keep it now as it is a pretty tasty track :D

I would advise a loud listen in headphones ! Just a perfect Soul 45 to my ears !

And a very hard to find 45! IMO

if you do want to sell - pm me, cause I'm always intrested in a good investment !

Social source share

I would advise a loud listen in headphones ! Just a perfect Soul 45 to my ears !

And a very hard to find 45! IMO

if you do want to sell - pm me, cause I'm always intrested in a good investment !

Will give it another proper listen in the morning and PM ya if I still feel like selling (or maybe getting a nice trade) for it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Will give it another proper listen in the morning and PM ya if I still feel like selling (or maybe getting a nice trade) for it :thumbsup:

Just sell it ! pm me ! :D

Social source share

I THINK A LOT OF THE UK HOLY GRAILS HAVE BEEN SURFACED HERE

I found edwin starr on a r/w polydor really hard to get . And I've always thought the Spinners ' sweet thing ' is a hard one on either tmg format . And the formations on mgm, ( issue or demo ) too.

Anyone interested in the uk eps ?? I spent forever trying to get both Arthur Alexander eps , and also ' new faces from hitsville ' ?

And I've still never even seen sue 711 the v/a Sue ep ?

I have a thing about uk soul eps - and maybe will be told to go start a new thread !

( e.g. I have also never even seen the action uk ep? )

Social source share

Guest Dante

Not a 45, but the Len Barry LP that Tony Ellis and Richard Searling had, think they were the only know copies, both without a sleeve.

Is this the one JM auctioned about a year or so ago?

Social source share

No one mentioned the last record on Soul City yet :thumbsup: - the 444 acetate of Chris Jackson or whatever it is?

Otherwise would have to agree with Pete S on the Billy Harner - it's awful though - only half the record, and a case of rarity over quality if ever there was. And agree on some of the stock copies mentioned. Hoagy Lands is weird because I am pretty sure it was played on radio as a new release, obviously didn't garner any sales.

How many of these Polydor Demos were made - does anyone know?

There's a rare Motown 70s thing as well - a mispress type thingy.

Little Hank "Mr Bang bang man" on London is another collectible, but like most mentioned on here it's not super duper rare. As with most of these things there are copies about.

I still have a soft spot for UK releases, ask the boys that frequented Blue Skies. :D

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

northernsoul.com had a roy hamilton on uk for £150 about two months ago ,heaven knows why i didnt buy it :thumbsup:

How often does this turn up ? or more to the point - the demo ?

Malc Burton

post-5097-1242373974_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Is this the one JM auctioned about a year or so ago?

I think it was Tony's.

Steve don't forget the 777 or was it 444, Dave Godin's next label that never happened did a white label test pressing of Sam Nesbitt Black Mother Goose, real vinyl with a spindle centre, not an acetate like Chris Jackson. One known copy but we don't know who's got it!

Social source share

I think it was Tony's.

Steve don't forget the 777 or was it 444, Dave Godin's next label that never happened did a white label test pressing of Sam Nesbitt Black Mother Goose, real vinyl with a spindle centre, not an acetate like Chris Jackson. One known copy but we don't know who's got it!

It was 444 and I saw that copy in the Highland Rooms at Blackpool Mecca.

Don't remember who it was that had it but obviously, I tried to buy it, to no avail. :D

Oh, nearly forgot, whomever it was had spare 444 labels as well. :thumbsup:

Edited by denbo
Social source share

No one mentioned the last record on Soul City yet :thumbsup: - the 444 acetate of Chris Jackson or whatever it is?

Otherwise would have to agree with Pete S on the Billy Harner - it's awful though - only half the record, and a case of rarity over quality if ever there was. And agree on some of the stock copies mentioned. Hoagy Lands is weird because I am pretty sure it was played on radio as a new release, obviously didn't garner any sales.

How many of these Polydor Demos were made - does anyone know?

There's a rare Motown 70s thing as well - a mispress type thingy.

Little Hank "Mr Bang bang man" on London is another collectible, but like most mentioned on here it's not super duper rare. As with most of these things there are copies about.

I still have a soft spot for UK releases, ask the boys that frequented Blue Skies. :lol:

Wasn't the last record intended for Soul City Chris Jackson's Remove This Doubt?

And wasn't the first for the new label 444 Sam Nesbit's Black Mother Goose.

Hmm, my memory's getting all mixed up now. :D

Oh, and Steve, wouldn't you just love to own one of the Billy Harner instrumentals though? yes.gif

Social source share

Don't remember who it was that had it but obviously, I tried to buy it, to no avail. :D

Very interesting, ours was picked up on Portobello Road market, so it sounds like there were at least two copies or could yours have been an acetate?

Social source share

Wasn't the last record intended for Soul City Chris Jackson's Remove This Doubt?

And wasn't the first for the new label 444 Sam Nesbit's Black Mother Goose.

Hmm, my memory's getting all mixed up now. :thumbsup:

Oh, and Steve, wouldn't you just love to own one of the Billy Harner instrumentals though? :D

That sounds right. Why would you want the instrumental, no vocal and it's a lot shorter!

Social source share

Very interesting, ours was picked up on Portobello Road market, so it sounds like there were at least two copies or could yours have been an acetate?

When you say 'ours' was picked up on Portobello Road, who is 'ours'? And has 'ours' still got it? Or don't you remember who 'ours' was?

Seem to remember 'mine' being what looked like a pukka release. Although my memory is not as crisp and clear as it used to be. :thumbsup: Defo wasn't an acetate.

PS - Did you fire that CD off already?

Social source share

That sounds right. Why would you want the instrumental, no vocal and it's a lot shorter!

I'd want the instrumental because I like to have both. Besides, the instrumental, even though it is shorter, somehow has a much better dance feel to it. Must admit though, I'm very partial to instrumentals . . . especially ones so rare as this one.

Apparantly there's only 6 known copies. Apart from my own, Searlings, which is cracked, and Mick Smith's, I used to know who had the other 3 but have now forgotten. Think I've got it written down at home somewhere though. The sixth and last copy being sold by Ian Clark about 4 or 5 years ago to whomever?

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I had some of the labels - think I remember who I got them off ( know who designed it) maybe he has the 45?!!

Julian

Social source share

I had some of the labels - think I remember who I got them off ( know who designed it) maybe he has the 45?!!

Julian

Hi Julian,

Remember me, from Greatstones?

Do you still have any of those labels? If so, any chance of having one?

Would be good if you could remember who the person was you got them off too.

Dennis.

PS - For some reason, I seem to remember that perhaps you were one of those others possessing a Billy Harner instrumental? Or, was it you who got Ian Clark to sell your copy for you? Or was that Simon Soussans copy Ian Clark was selling? Can't remember now.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

The patrice Holloway is very rare, especially as a stock copy.

Really?.. :unsure: what's the other side please?.

Jayne.x

Love & Desire

Thanks Dennis (What have I done to this post!)

Does anyone have a rought estimate on value for a demo copy that's maybe in good condition?.

Thanks

Jayne.x

Social source share

The patrice Holloway is very rare, especially as a stock copy.

Really?.. :unsure: what's the other side please?.

Jayne.x

Thanks Dennis (What have I done to this post!)

Does anyone have a rought estimate on value for a demo copy that's maybe in good condition?.

Thanks

Jayne.x

If the good grade means it's well played with various surface marks etc..you'd probably still get 100 quid for it, it is very rare. I'd buy it..

Social source share

If the good grade means it's well played with various surface marks etc..you'd probably still get 100 quid for it, it is very rare. I'd buy it..

=============

im still after the Rainbow People - Living in a dreamworld on Blue Issue to complete my Pye UK Issues..

Social source share

OK Den, our copy refers to the 4 people whose hands it went through. Malcolm Baumgart found it, I bought it off him, I sold it to Paddy from Market Harborough/Leicester who sold it to another collector who he's not seen for thirty years!

Yes I sent the CD

Aahaa, you DID understand my last posting. Wasn't sure I did myself, had to read it over a few times to make sure it made sense. :unsure:

So, thanks for the update . . . . . . . and the CD!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

That one is super rare on an issue, is as John Drevars, I've never had the Bok To Bach issue and only ever seen one John Drevars issue.

I picked up two " BTB " issues from Moondogs ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

I picked up two " BTB " issues from Moondogs ........

Malc Burton

Saw Shay play a 'Slippin around' on uk at the weekend. Never seen one before. That must be feckin' rare? :unsure:

Social source share

Hi Julian,

Remember me, from Greatstones?

Do you still have any of those labels? If so, any chance of having one?

Would be good if you could remember who the person was you got them off too.

Dennis.

PS - For some reason, I seem to remember that perhaps you were one of those others possessing a Billy Harner instrumental? Or, was it you who got Ian Clark to sell your copy for you? Or was that Simon Soussans copy Ian Clark was selling? Can't remember now.

Pm'd you

Julian

Social source share

Do you?

So so. Yes and no.

There are times when I like it and others when I think it's pretty average.

Having said that, it sounds brilliant out on a big sound system.

It's a VERY rare record, as it was only released, as far as I know, here in the UK and only as a 45.

So, from a collectors point of view then yes, I like it. But musically it's not that great.

I've spent years trying to add it to my collection. Partly due to the fact that a certain person, who promised it to me, donkies years ago, perhaps around 1974, let me down at the last second and said no, I'm keeping it. I think after that, I had to have it, if you know what I mean.

So, how about you?

Social source share

So so. Yes and no.

There are times when I like it and others when I think it's pretty average.

Having said that, it sounds brilliant out on a big sound system.

It's a VERY rare record, as it was only released, as far as I know, here in the UK and only as a 45.

So, from a collectors point of view then yes, I like it. But musically it's not that great.

I've spent years trying to add it to my collection. Partly due to the fact that a certain person, who promised it to me, donkies years ago, perhaps around 1974, let me down at the last second and said no, I'm keeping it. I think after that, I had to have it, if you know what I mean.

So, how about you?

I'd rather listen to the sound of a fat woman farting in the bath that listen to that

Social source share

Wonder if I sold it him, I got one in a collection in 2003, I was amazed to be honest, still the only one I;ve seen.

he`s had this one a long time pete, since it was played, if my memory serves me right he bought it from a load of old radio one stock that went up for sale in the late seventies

Social source share

That one is super rare on an issue, is as John Drevars, I've never had the Bok To Bach issue and only ever seen one John Drevars issue.

How spooky is that? Just pulled a John Drevas STOCK out for auction.. quite right, it's dog-rare. One lady owner, her name was Pauline.

My first copy of Bok To Bach was a stocker bought at Leeds Central in 1973 for £3.00 because it had just been bootlegged, again far rarer than the demo.

Rarest UK 45 in my experience is the Arctic recording test pressed on UK label jox with the instrumental on the flip. Killer Northern Soul BTW.

The Ambassadors - All You Got Girl Is All You Need - vocal & instrumental -

Jox 005

Social source share

I'll have a look when I get home. From memory I think the vinyl's fine but the label's a bit tatty......

Thanks

Jayne.x

Social source share

How spooky is that? Just pulled a John Drevas STOCK out for auction.. quite right, it's dog-rare. One lady owner, her name was Pauline.

My first copy of Bok To Bach was a stocker bought at Leeds Central in 1973 for £3.00 because it had just been bootlegged, again far rarer than the demo.

Rarest UK 45 in my experience is the Arctic recording test pressed on UK label jox with the instrumental on the flip. Killer Northern Soul BTW.

Jox 005

Roy Gelder's got that.

But if you said to me, here's this white label thing or you can have, say, Chubby Checker YJDK, I know which one I;d have. If I hadn't already got it, obviously...

Social source share

Jox 005

Yeah, I got my stocker of Bok To Bach about that time too, for a similar price. As you say, 'cos it got booted no doubt.

Gotta sound file you could PM me of that Jox 45 John? NEVER heard of that in my life.

Mind you, does it count as a Holy Grail record? Or, just a dammed rare record?

Social source share

Very intresting thread and i must say, a breath of fresh air, i admit to knowing nothing about the british side of collecting, a bit off topic i know but could i ask a question, i have paul anka-when we get there- on green rca, was can`t help loving you also a british release?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!