What Are The Top 3 Uk Holy Grails For Collecting

watching chapter 5 on e bay bidding is £510 with 3 and a half days to go,so bound to go much higher. but what are the top 3 holy grails of uk collecting :rolleyes:

Thats a great question! But a top 3 is just too hard as there are too many rare and fantastic 45s on UK IMO

John Andrews - Its just love

Tony Middleton - to the ends of the earth

Glen Miller - where is the love

Cajun Hart - gotta find away

Roy Hamilton - the panic is on

Ray pollard - both of them

Alexanda pattern - lil lovin sometime

jackie edwards - feel so bad

tony colton - i stand accused

ray merrell - tears of joy

mark lloyd - when i'm gonna find her

theres 12 well known uk collectors bits off the top of my head -

cheers

Edited by mossy
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thats a great question! But a top 3 is just too hard as there are too many rare and fantastic 45s on UK IMO

John Andrews - Its just love

Tony Middleton - to the ends of the earth

Glen Miller - where is the love

Cajun Hart - gotta find away

Roy Hamilton - the panic is on

Ray pollard - both of them

Alexanda pattern - lil lovin sometime

jackie edwards - feel so bad

tony colton - i stand accused

ray merrell - tears of joy

theres 11 well known uk collectors bits off the top of my head -

cheers

Then there's:

Dennis D'ell - Better Use Your Head

Soul Joe Clements - Ever, Ever

Ray Pollard - The Drifter

Chubby Checker - Just Don't Know

Solomon King - This Beatiful Day

Jon Ford - You Got Me Where You Want Me

First ones that entered my head. Plenty more to follow no doubt.

John.

Social source share

Guest veep1296

watching chapter 5 on e bay bidding is £510 with 3 and a half days to go,so bound to go much higher. but what are the top 3 holy grails of uk collecting :rolleyes:

I collect UK amongst other things. Have all the "big" stuff but not "pop" items

However the two I personally struggled to pick up were relative cheapies.

American Youth Choir Keep Your Fine Self Near Me" Polydor

Mike Williams Lonely Soldier (red) Atlantic

This should be an interesting thread I will give it more thought at home.

Mr Smith will be joining in Im sure,

Regards

David Ferguson (Star of Sky Sports Outside Broadcasts!)

post-5119-1242302098_thumb.jpg

post-5119-1242302113_thumb.jpg

Social source share

timi yuro always seems to get big money

Timi Yuro ... yeah - nearer 4 figures latley ! Thats gotta be the dear one

Patrice Holloway - Ecstasy

jerry jackson - its rough out there

kiki dee - on a magic carpet ride

mary love - both of them

and wasn't the volumes - i just cant help myself supposed to be on uk pama - ive never seen one - anyone ?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

John Andrews - Its just love GOT

Tony Middleton - to the ends of the earth GOT

Glen Miller - where is the love GOT

Cajun Hart - gotta find away HAD

Roy Hamilton - the panic is on HAD

Ray pollard - both of them GOT / HAD

Alexanda pattern - lil lovin sometime HAD

jackie edwards - feel so bad HAD

tony colton - i stand accused HAD

ray merrell - tears of joy GOT

mark lloyd - when i'm gonna find her HAD

bEAR IN MIND i'VE ONLY BEEN COLLECTING AGAIN FOR 2 MONTHS :rolleyes:

rarest UK by a mile is the Billy Harner instrumental, followed by the Ben E King demo of ICBTNTMS on Atlantic.

Of that list above, the Glen Miller is easily the hardest to find

• Helpful 1
Social source share

dont forget stateside & uk motown demos eg barbara mcnair your gonna love me baby tmg544

They aren't rare though, they are just sought after - a Hoagy Lands Stateside issue is rarer than any UK Tamla Motown record on demo for instance.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Timi Yuro ... yeah - nearer 4 figures latley ! Thats gotta be the dear one

Patrice Holloway - Ecstasy

jerry jackson - its rough out there

kiki dee - on a magic carpet ride

mary love - both of them

and wasn't the volumes - i just cant help myself supposed to be on uk pama - ive never seen one - anyone ?

No, and they won't either.

I've only ever had 2 copies of Timi Yuro. Sold one of them on here earlier this year for £400 in VG+.

The patrice Holloway is very rare, especially as a stock copy.

Jerry Jackson is relatively common, I say relatively, Kiki Dee I must have had 8 copies of that, Mary Love is tough nowadays on King, Stateside demo of lay this burden down only about £125, which is what I paid 6 weeks back...

I paid £250 for the John Andrews demo, when I sold my other copy in 1993 I sold it for £25!

Social source share

I've only ever had 2 copies of Timi Yuro. Sold one of them on here earlier this year for £400 in VG+.

Jerry Jackson is relatively common, I say relatively, Kiki Dee I must have had 8 copies of that, Mary Love is tough nowadays on King, Stateside demo of lay this burden down only about £125, which is what I paid 6 weeks back...

I paid £250 for the John Andrews demo, when I sold my other copy in 1993 I sold it for £25!

i got 3 unplayed copys of kiki dee from the diskery in brum 79/80 when it was big, paid 37p each ,sold em all at wigan the following week for a combined total of £170 about 6 weeks wages then :rolleyes: ,didnt think it was that rare now though

Social source share

i got 3 unplayed copys of kiki dee from the diskery in brum 79/80 when it was big, paid 37p each ,sold em all at wigan the following week for a combined total of £170 about 6 weeks wages then :rolleyes: ,didnt think it was that rare now though

Social source share

I do too - that's why I've never bought it, because it's always been overpriced. The red and white Stateside is miles harder to find in my experience.

Luckily I've got one of those too. But surely the DB would be described as a Holy Grail which was the original question?

Social source share

They aren't rare though, they are just sought after - a Hoagy Lands Stateside issue is rarer than any UK Tamla Motown record on demo for instance.

intresting stuff this, i remember a friend selling up his british stuff because he couldn`t get a Hoagy lands to complete his stateside stuff

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Luckily I've got one of those too. But surely the DB would be described as a Holy Grail which was the original question?

I take your point but I'd say that the Holy Grail tends to differ for each collector in that maybe it's the items you've never had or got that you consider the rarest and most desirable.

I mean anyone would be chuffed to get DB on London DJ but it wouldn't really merit a thread on SS. However I will meet you halfway and say that turning up a London issue would be the HG.

Doesn't exist as far as I know.

ROD

Social source share

intresting stuff this, i remember a friend selling up his british stuff because he couldn`t get a Hoagy lands to complete his stateside stuff

I actually sold my entire collection in a strop because someone found a Darrell banks London demo in a charity shop in Eastbourne and he wouldn't sell it to me :rolleyes:

Social source share

I collect UK amongst other things. Have all the "big" stuff but not "pop" items

However the two I personally struggled to pick up were relative cheapies.

American Youth Choir Keep Your Fine Self Near Me" Polydor

Mike Williams Lonely Soldier (red) Atlantic

This should be an interesting thread I will give it more thought at home.

Mr Smith will be joining in Im sure,

Regards

David Ferguson (Star of Sky Sports Outside Broadcasts!)

post-5119-1242302098_thumb.jpg

post-5119-1242302113_thumb.jpg

You are quite correct Sir.

The American Youth Choir is very difficult indeed but not a Holy Grail.

PS - I have a spare of the American Youth Choir. PM me if interested in taking it off my hands.

Social source share

:rolleyes: Sent you a PM

Edited by denbo
Social source share

I'm pretty sure I'll think of a couple more when I get home but from what has been mentioned here so far, I'd have to say;

Timi Yuro

Darrell Banks - London

Soul Joe Clements

Patrice Holloway - Issue

Edited by denbo
Social source share

Guest veep1296

I guess relatively common?

ROD

I tend to agree Rod. Whilst it carries a hefty price tag Ive seen a lot more of them than the Stateside R&W & G&W Demos of Darrell.

Mrs F cannot understand why i need to have all 3 ?

Regards

DF

Social source share

what about that Ambassadors 45 from the Arctic cat. that only got to the test press ?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

no neither the volumes on pama

but it is supposed to have been released on pama ........... according to their paperwork ?

So a Holy Grail if there was ever one to view ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!