Why Is Mike Terry Airbrushed

I might be Mike Terry's biggest fan. He was awesome with Motown Maxine Brown, Garland Green and all the Giant stuff with Jo Armstead and of course all his moonlighting in and around Detroit and Chicago. Even the Johnny Robinson and Sandra Phillips on Okeh were tunes. His name is on everything from the Capitols to Soul Twins to Darrell Banks and a million and one other Northern records.

But why is he never ever acknowledged? His name is on the credits of Standing In the Shadows but when the Funk Brothers played Manchester they mentioned previous Funk Brothers who were dead or just couldn't be there (and Mike's a bit Denis Bergkamp about flying) holding up photos of each one. But no mention of Andrew "Mike"Terry!

Did he upset someone spectacularly? Did he bone someone he shouldn't have?

Does anyone know why he is systematically ignored?

Edited by ScallyBob
Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I am a longtime Mike Terry fan, and it seems he is not only ignored in Motown history, but in northern soul history too. See the "Favourite 60's soul producer" thread below, I am the only one who even mentions him, and his name causes no comments or reaction. He must have his name on more GOOD northern soul than any other producer and arranger, by far. Some of the others mentioned are much less significant for soul in general and for northern soul in particular. One of THE most prolific guys in 60's soul and northern soul, well beyond Detroit too. Don't people know (they must do!?) or don't they care? Don't they like good northern soul from Detroit by real soul artists, the very essence of northern soul? :thumbsup:

Social source share

I am a longtime Mike Terry fan, and it seems he is not only ignored in Motown history, but in northern soul history too. See the "Favourite 60's soul producer" thread below, I am the only one who even mentions him, and his name causes no comments or reaction. He must have his name on more GOOD northern soul than any other producer and arranger, by far. Some of the others mentioned are much less significant for soul in general and for northern soul in particular. One of THE most prolific guys in 60's soul and northern soul, well beyond Detroit too. Don't people know (they must do!?) or don't they care? Don't they like good northern soul from Detroit by real soul artists, the very essence of northern soul? :thumbsup:

link

Hi Chritian,come on your not the only one here who admire Mr M Terry,little mad story though!!car booting one day i found M Terry album on president records,autographed!!!,showed this to everybody,i thought full of instro`s gotta be him,how embaresing seems there is a M Terry,on the benidorm scene,bit of a gay icon,before I Levine,even seen him on TV ,looked like a fukcin`lamp shade,what a plonker eh!thats me that is!only saving grace is i found it without cover!,this cant be the same Mr Terry can it!,well can it?......... :(

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

I am a longtime Mike Terry fan, and it seems he is not only ignored in Motown history, but in northern soul history too. See the "Favourite 60's soul producer" thread below, I am the only one who even mentions him, and his name causes no comments or reaction. He must have his name on more GOOD northern soul than any other producer and arranger, by far. Some of the others mentioned are much less significant for soul in general and for northern soul in particular. One of THE most prolific guys in 60's soul and northern soul, well beyond Detroit too. Don't people know (they must do!?) or don't they care? Don't they like good northern soul from Detroit by real soul artists, the very essence of northern soul? :(

link

No they don't Christian, they're all Divs.

Except you :thumbsup:

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Take the piss if you like, I don't give a shit. Mike Terry still one of the greatest and very underrecognised on the scene.

Social source share

Hi Chritian,come on your not the only one here who admire Mr M Terry

*Not alone, no, it seems it's me and ScallyBob whoever that is. He is NEVER mentioned, instead second rate producers who never participated in the creating of a NORTHERN soul record in their lives are often mentioned. Considering the amount and quality of records he is on, it is amazing that he is so relatively ignored. (Mike Terry that is)

,little mad story though!!car booting one day i found M Terry album on president records,autographed!!!,showed this to everybody,i thought full of instro`s gotta be him,how embaresing seems there is a M Terry,on the benidorm scene,bit of a gay icon,before I Levine,even seen him on TV ,looked like a fukcin`lamp shade,what a plonker eh!thats me that is!only saving grace is i found it without cover!,this cant be the same Mr Terry can it!,well can it?......... :thumbsup:

link

*Hilarious story. :(

Social source share

Take the piss if you like, I don't give a shit. Mike Terry still one of the greatest and very underrecognised on the scene.

link

I agree completely Christian. Just checking you still had your sense of humour.

Did it hurt when they removed it :(

Nice scatalogical theme ya got going there too :thumbsup:

Love,

Godz

Social source share

Removed what? I got no theme going, just praising one of the greatest soul producers of all time.

link

mike terry came on soulful detroit forum about 3 years ago and said its time to make some more music, so after doing a clenched fist yeees! and posting a couple more e-mails to him I haven't heard a word since, only redeeming thing is that he does know that the northern part of this fair isle thinks he is a musical genius which I bet confuses him no end - Mike Randle did a great interview with him in one of the great fanzines Mr Pearsons or Mr Rimmers (sorry lads I dont know which) about 9 years ago

Social source share

I might be Mike Terry's biggest fan. He was awesome with Motown Maxine Brown, Garland Green and all the Giant stuff with Jo Armstead and of course all his moonlighting in and around Detroit and Chicago. Even the Johnny Robinson and Sandra Phillips on Okeh were tunes. His name is on everything from the Capitols to Soul Twins to Darrell Banks and a million and one other Northern records.

But why is he never ever acknowledged? His name is on the credits of Standing In the Shadows but when the Funk Brothers played Manchester they mentioned previous Funk Brothers who were dead or just couldn't be there (and Mike's a bit Denis Bergkamp about flying) holding up photos of each one. But no mention of Andrew "Mike"Terry!

Did he upset someone spectacularly? Did he bone someone he shouldn't have?

Does anyone know why he is systematically ignored?

link

Yeah you're 100% right.

Maggie and myself watched the "Soul deep " prog on Motown the other week, and then switched over to watch the prog about the Funky Bros.

Mike Terry was never mentioned once, I'd had a few beers and kept going on about how can they leave this man out. His name must be on as many if not more records than Popcorn Wylie. Brilliant producer.

<<>>

Did he murder someone... peadophile or something...

It's criminal the way he's being erased from the history of soul music.

Cheers,

Derek

Social source share

His name must be on as many if not more records than Popcorn Wylie.

I would have thought his name was on (and uncredited, behind) many more records than Popcorn?

Social source share

His name must be on as many if not more records than Popcorn Wylie.

I would have thought his name was on (and uncredited, behind) many more records than Popcorn?

link

You're probably right.

Didn't he play sax on loads of Motown, Ric Tic, and other Detroit labels. Overshadowed by Jnr. Walker.??

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

You're probably right.

Didn't he play sax on loads of Motown, Ric Tic, and other Detroit labels. Overshadowed by Jnr. Walker.??

Cheers,

Derek.

link

[it's been a pastime of mine for years spotting Mike Terry on Soul tracks. Sometimes it taken me years to realise he's there, e.g. Roadrunner - Jnr Walker & One More Hurt - Marjorie Black.

Slim]

Social source share

[it's been a pastime of mine for years spotting Mike Terry on Soul tracks. Sometimes it taken me years to realise he's there, e.g. Roadrunner - Jnr Walker & One More Hurt - Marjorie Black.

Slim]

link

Social source share

Slim]

link

Social source share

Remember reading an interview which I still have somewhere with, I think (not sure), the great Silky Hargraves where he said that he and Mike used to cover for each other on sax on records, so it's not always the great man you hear!!! Also when Popcorn was over I asked him if he was still in contact with him and he said he was but he wasn't really into getting his face out there (to quote) As for being ignored this very debate has been discussed many times on the scene and yes it is criminal that he is not given the credit that he deserves. let's not forget the Pied Piper stuff either.

Social source share

Hi Chritian,come on your not the only one here who admire Mr M Terry,little mad story though!!car booting one day i found M Terry album on president records,autographed!!!,showed this to everybody,i thought full of instro`s gotta be him,how embaresing seems there is a M Terry,on the benidorm scene,bit of a gay icon,before I Levine,even seen him on TV ,looked like a fukcin`lamp shade,what a plonker eh!thats me that is!only saving grace is i found it without cover!,this cant be the same Mr Terry can it!,well can it?......... :thumbsup:

link

this one kenny???

post-1925-1118185229_thumb.jpg

you thought there would be what on it ?

maybe this is mrs miller

:shades:

Social source share

this one kenny???

post-1925-1118185229_thumb.jpg

you thought there would be what on it ?

maybe this is mrs miller

:thumbsup:

link

Well stone me!!same fukcin lamp shade,stone soul funk brother!!,get the link?.Ken

Social source share

Remember reading an interview which I still have somewhere with, I think (not sure), the great Silky Hargraves where he said that he and Mike used to cover for each other on sax on records, so it's not always the great man you hear!!! Also when Popcorn was over I asked him if he was still in contact with him and he said he was but he wasn't really into getting his face out there (to quote) As for being ignored this very debate has been discussed many times on the scene and yes it is criminal that he is not given the credit that he deserves. let's not forget the Pied Piper stuff either.

link

This sounds plausible, and I personally think he is credited when in some cases it is not him playing. There must have been more than one guy in the USA who could honk a bari sax in the 60's? He plays baritone sax on practically all Motown records that feature the instrument though as I understand it, and that's a lot, also on most Detroit things that feature the trademark bari sax break, and also on some Philly stuff (Dynodynamics productions) where he is mostly uncredited but his name appears on some Philly 45's. He played sax on probably hundreds of records, and he arranged and produced countless things. Fred Hughes "Don't Let Me Down" is a west coast recording but Mike was flown in to help, and you can hear it. Jesse Fisher "You're Not Loving A Beginner" on Way Out from Cleveland, Ohio, also has Mike on it. It just goes on, and on, and on. He was involved with the Brothers Of Soul stuff (though largely uncredited?), Jo Armstead, Garland Green, etc. Many of the best tunes by these and related artists see him playing a major role. Loads of the Detroit stuff, Ric Tic, Golden World, Sidra, Drew, Carla, Karen, Moira, some of the La Beat productions, Solid Hitbound, various obscure labels and artists, etc. A period with Okeh (Johnny Robinson, Sandra Philips, Little Foxes,..). He was almost literally everywhere it seems. I doubt there is any one person who has been involved with anywhere near as many good northern soul records as him. He should be something of a household name with anyone interested in northern soul, but it seems he ain't. I remember an oldtimer I know even asked me once, "Mike Who?" whilst bopping around to one of the many classic records with Mike on it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

:thumbsup: Good points Christian, the Mike Terry debate has raised it's head a number of times over the years. I'll try and dig that article out (was is Shades Of Soul?) and scan it in for everyone. funny as time slips by how history repeats itself and a whole new generation are asking the very same questions that were asked when I had a thin waistline and could get up from a backdrop :shades:
Social source share

:shades: Good points Christian, the Mike Terry debate has raised it's head a number of times over the years. I'll try and dig that article out (was is Shades Of Soul?) and scan it in for everyone. funny as time slips by how history repeats itself and a whole new generation are asking the very same questions that were asked when I had a thin waistline and could get up from a backdrop :P

link

The question is why nothing 'has been done' even when the question has been asked before. I DEMAND :thumbsup: political action of some sort. :D Maybe a massive bronze statue somewhere? :ohmy::lol:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The question is why nothing 'has been done' even when the question has been asked before. I DEMAND :thumbsup:   political action of some sort. :P   Maybe a massive bronze statue somewhere? :ohmy:   :lol:

link

About 1 million people are going to picket the forthcoming G8 summit in Edinburgh about this disgraceful oversight. Surely then something will happen?

Joking aside, his work is much appreciated by many people and I have one friend who when discussing records never seems to fail to get in the phrase "that one is a Mike Terry production" as a sign of quality. :shades:

Social source share

About 1 million people are going to picket the forthcoming G8 summit in Edinburgh about this disgraceful oversight.  Surely then something will happen?

Joking aside, his work is much appreciated by many people and I have one friend who when discussing records never seems to fail to get in the phrase "that one is a Mike Terry production" as a sign of quality. :thumbsup:

link

Anything on in Edinburgh that weekend,sure there be a few Soulies there,be a million passers-by,thats if them nuvo-rich record collecters promoters are not hosting G7 that is!,i wonder who the G7 of soul is,funny rearly thinking about it,bet most are from north of the border,do i talk shite or what?....

:shades:

Social source share

Guest ZTSC

This sounds plausible, and I personally think he is credited when in some cases it is not him playing. There must have been more than one guy in the USA who could honk a bari sax in the 60's? He plays baritone sax on practically all Motown records that feature the instrument though as I understand it, and that's a lot, also on most Detroit things that feature the trademark bari sax break, and also on some Philly stuff (Dynodynamics productions) where he is mostly uncredited but his name appears on some Philly 45's. He played sax on probably hundreds of records, and he arranged and produced countless things. Fred Hughes "Don't Let Me Down" is a west coast recording but Mike was flown in to help, and you can hear it. Jesse Fisher "You're Not Loving A Beginner" on Way Out from Cleveland, Ohio, also has Mike on it. It just goes on, and on, and on. He was involved with the Brothers Of Soul stuff (though largely uncredited?), Jo Armstead, Garland Green, etc. Many of the best tunes by these and related artists see him playing a major role. Loads of the Detroit stuff, Ric Tic, Golden World, Sidra, Drew, Carla, Karen, Moira, some of the La Beat productions, Solid Hitbound, various obscure labels and artists, etc. A period with Okeh (Johnny Robinson, Sandra Philips, Little Foxes,..). He was almost literally everywhere it seems. I doubt there is any one person who has been involved with anywhere near as many good northern soul records as him. He should be something of a household name with anyone interested in northern soul, but it seems he ain't. I remember an oldtimer I know even asked me once, "Mike Who?" whilst bopping around to one of the many classic records with Mike on it. :thumbsup:

link

You know your stuff - got talking about the (brill) Fred Hughes track at the last Wilton (Roger always plays it) . You should talk to Gilly about "Mike Terry" when you next see him. You might be in for a shock. (Great story mate)

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

He was involved with the Brothers Of Soul stuff (though largely uncredited?)

What a great record this is :thumbsup:

post-1832-1118263848_thumb.jpg

Social source share

You know your stuff -  got talking about the (brill) Fred Hughes track at the last Wilton (Roger always plays it) . You should talk to Gilly about "Mike Terry" when you next see him. You might be in for a shock. (Great story mate)

link

Fred Hughes,awesome!!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

You know your stuff -  got talking about the (brill) Fred Hughes track at the last Wilton (Roger always plays it) . You should talk to Gilly about "Mike Terry" when you next see him. You might be in for a shock. (Great story mate)

link

I have so far never had the pleasure of meeting this Gilly whom I have heard quite a lot about. Unless I ran into him unknowingly whilst off my head and made a fool out of myself, has happened maybe once or twice. :thumbsup: A funny Fred Hughes anecdote (not really funny, but still) is that I was chatting to Keith Money early Sunday or Saturday night at the Cleethorpes weekender a few years ago and someone puts on Fred Hughes "Don't Let Me Down" and we both go "wow, this sounds great, do you know what this is?", no one of us could place it, and Keith guessed it was Eddie Foster(?). The scary thing is that I had then known it for many years and even owned it, and I don't dare guess how many years Keith had known it. Lack of sleep and alcohol etc. does wonders to your intellect it seems. :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert