Peer Pressure

Remember BITD when there was a definitive line between the 'Shepherds' and 'The Sheep', a time when there were 'Real Collectors' and just 'Us Punters'?

In the 70's it didn't seem to be a 'thing', we sheep simply accepted that we didn't have the money,the looks, the records, the clothing nor the 'Joi de Vivre'(sic) to be one of the upper eschalons (Alpha's) on our personal NS scene.

They were just better than us, no problem, that was the Status Quo.

Then came the 80's when NS and it's PP took on a different look, the drugs changed, cliques were formed as did certain peoples outlooks, and PP took on a whole new look.

Enter the Soul Terrorist!

You were f*cked in the Services on the way home if you didn't know a particular uncovered c/u or label or, whatever!

Maybe I just got picked on ha ha.

Spin forward to today...okay?

Now everyone has sussed that after years of practice, they too can be an Alpha, not through want or need...'Alphaism' just comes after being a Sheep for years.

I suppose to a degree I'm a Sheep too.

Bear with me, I'm as lost right now as you:

Is todays all loving, all caring, information sharing Soulie any better than Yester-Years Soul Terrorists?

After all, imparting knowledge gained may as well be done with a smile on your face as a snarl and a smirk.

Beware the 'Smiling Tiger'.

Mmmmmm!

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest HelplessDancer

The cliques and "factions" were part of the reason I gave up on the scene 25 years ago. If your face didnt fit, or you had the wrong shoes or too many pressings in your box you were literally an outcast

This time around I'm not planting my flag in anyones corner. I'm out to have a good time and I dont give a toss what people think of me, after all, I was going to all nighters when alot of them were playing with there action man hehehehehehe

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Is todays all loving, all caring, information sharing Soulie any better than Yester-Years Soul Terrorists?

I take it your tongue is firmly in your cheek here Barry? wink.gif

Social source share

Remember BITD when there was a definitive line between the 'Shepherds' and 'The Sheep', a time when there were 'Real Collectors' and just 'Us Punters'?

In the 70's it didn't seem to be a 'thing', we sheep simply accepted that we didn't have the money,the looks, the records, the clothing nor the 'Joi de Vivre'(sic) to be one of the upper eschalons (Alpha's) on our personal NS scene.

They were just better than us, no problem, that was the Status Quo.

Then came the 80's when NS and it's PP took on a different look, the drugs changed, cliques were formed as did certain peoples outlooks, and PP took on a whole new look.

Enter the Soul Terrorist!

You were f*cked in the Services on the way home if you didn't know a particular uncovered c/u or label or, whatever!

Maybe I just got picked on ha ha.

Spin forward to today...okay?

Now everyone has sussed that after years of practice, they too can be an Alpha, not through want or need...'Alphaism' just comes after being a Sheep for years.

I suppose to a degree I'm a Sheep too.

Bear with me, I'm as lost right now as you:

After all, imparting knowledge gained may as well be done with a smile on your face as a snarl and a smirk.

Mmmmmm!

Just a personal slant on this Barry.....in the early days....me and the ex didn't comply to the norm, with regards to anything other than pro-plus and to a degree were ostracised which was sometimes uncomfortable on a 52 seater......I would hazard a guess that out of the 52, myself and the ex are the only individuals still attending some 35 years on, from aforementioned 52 seater....with regard to cliques..they existed in the early 70's and to some extent, some of the same cliques still exist today, however, and whilst respect is due to many....I will never ever know the words to every favourite tune, or even proclaim to know everything about anything associated with our scene.....other than I've loved every minute of it musically.....the rest is ..... personal ! Respect wilxy

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Bring back the Soul Terrorist! Shake this f**king scene up a bit. Nowadays those same types of people (the ones who give a toss) get called crap like 'soul police' etc... I don't approve of bullying (or getting f**ked in the services! ohmy.gif ) but at least people knew that it was all about sourcing, listening to and enjoy fresh sounds on original vinyl every week and not being satisfied with the same old stuff week in week out. Not enough Soul Terrorists around now in my opinion. laugh.gif

I agree the 80s could be brutal, there were cliques and plenty of people got called 'goose' and a lot of people did get driven away i can imagine, but it was a steep learning curve and there was no room for any of this bulls**t 'any format will do' mentality some have today. Maybe i'm a masochist but i miss the uncompromising purity of those days. :lol:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Bring back the Soul Terrorist! Shake this f**king scene up a bit. Nowadays those same types of people (the ones who give a toss) get called crap like 'soul police' etc... I don't approve of bullying (or getting f**ked in the services! ohmy.gif ) but at least people knew that it was all about sourcing, listening to and enjoy fresh sounds on original vinyl every week and not being satisfied with the same old stuff week in week out. Not enough Soul Terrorists around now in my opinion. laugh.gif

I agree the 80s could be brutal, there were cliques and plenty of people got called 'goose' and a lot of people did get driven away i can imagine, but it was a steep learning curve and there was no room for any of this bulls**t 'any format will do' mentality some have today. Maybe i'm a masochist but i miss the uncompromising purity of those days. :lol:

che.bmp

Agree, mostly.

'cept I drove my own self away late 70's, sick of the shit masquarding as Soul.

(thereby doing meself out of Stafford-D'oh)

Tony

Social source share

Mmmmmm!

Dunno about 'soul terrorists' of yester-year Barry, but I love the information sharing that a lot of members on here are prepared to do. For sure there are always going to be the odd few who want to try and govern the scene by telling people what they should & shouldn't do - or even what records they should like & dislike - but on the whole, I have benefited tremendously from the knowledge sharing that we get on this site :thumbsup:

Social source share

Dunno about 'soul terrorists' of yester-year Barry, but I love the information sharing that a lot of members on here are prepared to do. For sure there are always going to be the odd few who want to try and govern the scene by telling people what they should & shouldn't do - or even what records they should like & dislike - but on the whole, I have benefited tremendously from the knowledge sharing that we get on this site :thumbsup:

100% in agreement . I have always been confident enough to like what I like and do what I want but having said that I have never felt pressurised by other peoples opinions, its music its fun just enjoy it and stuff em :wicked:

Social source share

100% in agreement . I have always been confident enough to like what I like and do what I want but having said that I have never felt pressurised by other peoples opinions, its music its fun just enjoy it and stuff em :unsure:

Try and be confident in what you like as a 17 year old (supposed) knob faced with a load of Alpha's on Pondies somewhere North of Buzzard.

The word 'brutal' has been used in this thread as regards the 80s - and it was a well thought out word to use too.

Times have changed yes, but so have the the people that purported to love this music.

Of course there are still some of the Old Guard about, but as someone correctly pointed out above (the '57 seater' reply), a lot of the feckers that gave it the 80's 'I am' for a spell - aren't.

This scene, like all 'scenes', confuses me somewhat as I have had the life that has enabled me to be in touch with it over its course.

The 80's were definately the NS scenes teenage years - huffing and puffing, proving itself, the 'look at me' years.

Today, due to time and nothing more (age makes you lazy), the scene has definaltely hit middle age - can't quite be arsed but look good when you can.

It has taken years for people to realise that they can be as much of a Soul Terrorist as yester-years 80's type by simply being nice about it.....

Today you can be made an example of on an international scale (that's thousands of people looking in - not thirty three in Corley Services) by someone who imparts their knowledge in an 'understanding' and 'caring' manner.

Todays Soul Terrorists are still alive and kicking, they simply smile today.

Social source share

Try and be confident in what you like as a 17 year old (supposed) knob faced with a load of Alpha's on Pondies somewhere North of Buzzard.

The word 'brutal' has been used in this thread as regards the 80s - and it was a well thought out word to use too.

Times have changed yes, but so have the the people that purported to love this music.

Of course there are still some of the Old Guard about, but as someone correctly pointed out above (the '57 seater' reply), a lot of the feckers that gave it the 80's 'I am' for a spell - aren't.

This scene, like all 'scenes', confuses me somewhat as I have had the life that has enabled me to be in touch with it over its course.

The 80's were definately the NS scenes teenage years - huffing and puffing, proving itself, the 'look at me' years.

Today, due to time and nothing more (age makes you lazy), the scene has definaltely hit middle age - can't quite be arsed but look good when you can.

It has taken years for people to realise that they can be as much of a Soul Terrorist as yester-years 80's type by simply being nice about it.....

Today you can be made an example of on an international scale (that's thousands of people looking in - not thirty three in Corley Services) by someone who imparts their knowledge in an 'understanding' and 'caring' manner.

Todays Soul Terrorists are still alive and kicking, they simply smile today.

hi Barry. any chance you can do me a favour?

could you tell me, in very simple way, what it is you are trying to say. forgive my ignorance, but when you ramble on in a cryptic fashion i sometimes lose the point you are trying to make. please, for me, in basic simple English - what the feck are you on about :unsure:

Social source share

hi Barry. any chance you can do me a favour?

could you tell me, in very simple way, what it is you are trying to say. forgive my ignorance, but when you ramble on in a cryptic fashion i sometimes lose the point you are trying to make. please, for me, in basic simple English - what the feck are you on about :unsure:

I don't know Mike if I'm honest.

My posts are cryptic simply for the fact that I am seeking answers.

I don't post with some underlying current mate.

I simply hope that by, whatever, replies I get may assist me in my search for thrue Soul Karma.

Am I taking the piss?

If you knew me, you'd know.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert