All-time Fave Dancer

Ok We have all seen some fantastic Northern soul dancers on the scene and i'm sure we can all name several from every region.But who has really taken your breath away when you saw them dance.My Nomination would be the Guy they simply called Soulie,think his mame was Mark Allis from Peterborough.Not seen him on the scene for several years now, he has featured on you tube clips of Cleethorpes weekender dance comps.As i say many dancers have impressed me but SOULIE left me Transfixed and for me was tops

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest wigantojapan

Ok We have all seen some fantastic Northern soul dancers on the scene and i'm sure we can all name several from every region.But who has really taken your breath away when you saw them dance.My Nomination would be the Guy they simply called Soulie,think his mame was Mark Allis from Peterborough.Not seen him on the scene for several years now, he has featured on you tube clips of Cleethorpes weekender dance comps.As i say many dancers have impressed me but SOULIE left me Transfixed and for me was tops

post the clip of soulie then please

Social source share

sorry wasnae clear to me at 2 minutes white shirt unsure.gif

Sorry see edited post its one minute although you see glimpses of him earlier and you really had to see him in the flesh to see how good he was.Most people on the 90s circuit will know him well

Social source share

I remember Mark well from my days at the East Anglian Soul Club etc. Think he moved up north. Met a girl called Andrea from Nuremberg at Bamberg who wanted to say "Hi" to Mark if anyone knows him and can pass the message on.

Mark C :)

Social source share

All-time fave is Keb Darge. But used to love watching Soulie too, and Paul Sadot & Oscar Romp (or Oscar de la Rent Boy as we call him :) ) when they went hell for leather at the 100 Club.

These days, like watching Freckles from Brighton as he's cute :g: and always love seeing Chantel from Bedford out on the floor.

Social source share

I remember Mark well from my days at the East Anglian Soul Club etc. Think he moved up north. Met a girl called Andrea from Nuremberg at Bamberg who wanted to say "Hi" to Mark if anyone knows him and can pass the message on.

Mark C :)

Good dancer mark, i taught him every move lol,did u notice ady wiv his vest on gotta to be the first weekender,Billy.

Social source share

Local chap from here in notts smooth floorwork great shuffler and super fast

Mr Boxerbeat ......Carl Piper :thumbsup: even @ 51 hes still got the moves

Mand :thumbsup:

The best i ever saw from Carl was around 1998 he came to our local Danum Hotel night at Donny.Carl did a dance off with a great mate of mine Tony Reever Reeves to Little Joe cook--I'm falling In love with you baby.The floor cleared to watch them got to say it was an even contest,wish that had been filmed.

Social source share

Good dancer mark, i taught him every move lol,did u notice ady wiv his vest on gotta to be the first weekender,Billy.

Think it may have been 97 Billy.I loved to watch Soulie do that kick back spin move,tried to copy it many times and did get it but only half the speed of Soulie.Thing about him is he rarely did any acrobatics he didn't need to but when he did launch into tricks that was amazing too.Spoke to him once at Earl of Doncaster soul night when he was going out with Lynn Shaw the girl from the Cleethorpes T.V film

Social source share

Guest elnel

Love to watch Carl he,s brilliant ,but weve got a gud un round here a young man called Allex Sims I think he,s only 17 but god this kid can dance he,s allso a cracking DJ too .Can anyone remember my mate john Hanley from Conisbrough near doncaster ,one of the most agile dancers I ever saw allso Johnny Stanley from edlington near doncaster he could shift as well . Cant believe Night Nurses choice ime sure he made a spelling mistake and realy meant to put El Nel xx

Social source share

Guest HelplessDancer

Having only come back onto "The Scene" very recently, I haven't seen many dancers from other areas.

I have to say though, that Paul Donnelly from Nottingham has the best feet I've ever seen. Malc (also from Notts) shows us how it SHOULD be done (subtle and expresive, ala Twisted Wheel) and Rob's passion for the music starts at his bones and works its way out to his feet and hands

Back in the late 70s though, my mate just about blew everyone away, he had it all, feet, rhythm and athetesism....does anybody else remember Des Porter from Newark??

Social source share

I agree that Soulie was & probably still is a fantastic dancer but the greatest dancer in the world (for me) was big Scotty from Stockport.

I was sooo young & in awe of him & his great whistling when I used to see him out & about at Tony's Empress,Winsford,Droylesdon,Hyde & lots of other places in the early 90's.

I didnt dare tell him then what a god I thought he was but when I bumped into him at Prestwich a few months ago after all these years I certainly told him (well Im older & braver now and life's too short). He was & still is my favourite dancer in the whole wide world & he would be really embarrassed to know I'm writing this about him but hey ho - you asked a question & I answered it.

Ali x

Social source share

Having only come back onto "The Scene" very recently, I haven't seen many dancers from other areas.

I have to say though, that Paul Donnelly from Nottingham has the best feet I've ever seen. Malc (also from Notts) shows us how it SHOULD be done (subtle and expresive, ala Twisted Wheel) and Rob's passion for the music starts at his bones and works its way out to his feet and hands

Back in the late 70s though, my mate just about blew everyone away, he had it all, feet, rhythm and athetesism....does anybody else remember Des Porter from Newark??

I remember Des Porter well thumbsup.gif ...he still visits sweet soul if Im not mistaken

He used to come over to our village to visit the youth club

The last time I saw him I was a bit disappointed as he wasnt creating fireworks on the dancefloor as I remembered he used to

But still a good shuffler

Mand

Social source share

Guest HelplessDancer

I remember Des Porter well thumbsup.gif ...he still visits sweet soul if Im not mistaken

He used to come over to our village to visit the youth club

The last time I saw him I was a bit disappointed as he wasnt creating fireworks on the dancefloor as I remembered he used to

But still a good shuffler

Mand

Well, like me, he's getting on a bit hehehehehe, the spirit's willing but he flesh is weak (Jeeeese, when did I get old?)

Social source share

Love to watch Carl he,s brilliant ,but weve got a gud un round here a young man called Allex Sims I think he,s only 17 but god this kid can dance he,s allso a cracking DJ too .Can anyone remember my mate john Hanley from Conisbrough near doncaster ,one of the most agile dancers I ever saw allso Johnny Stanley from edlington near doncaster he could shift as well . Cant believe Night Nurses choice ime sure he made a spelling mistake and realy meant to put El Nel xx

sorry i ment to say it was my mate yokie lol sorry nell but yours news moves dont impress my old boot you gone stale mate sorry

Social source share

Guest hitman

Local chap from here in notts smooth floorwork great shuffler and super fast

Mr Boxerbeat ......Carl Piper :thumbsup: even @ 51 hes still got the moves

Mand :wicked:

CARL PIPER IS GOOD BUT HAVE YOU EVER SEEN SAMMY DEE DANCE HE IS AN ACE ALL ROUND AWESOME MOVER ALSO VERNON AND TALL PAUL & BILLY WHIZ FROM BOLTON BUT SAMMY IS UNQUIE,WHY DONT YOU SET UP A DANCE COMP WEST MIDLANDS Vs EAST KIRKBY DANCERS MIXED MALE & FEMALE LOL

post-14106-1242165883_thumb.jpg

Social source share

If it comes down to making it look as easy as breathing - Vernon from 'Bradfot' had it (spinning especially) nailed.

Yes, seen Vernon in the some clips on the net, awsome dancer.

Sadly, i missed out on the fantastic dancers in their prime. Bu still lucky enough to see them now cos most are still fantastic.....Mr Piper, Sammy Dee, Dave Bacon (unique, lots of different styles depending on the tune), Keb, Steve Cato....dare i say Mr Quinn? yes i think so, great footwork to go with the acrobatics.

So many good dancers on the scene past and present, not sure i could pick a fav

Social source share

well i must agree with all of you about the dancers,theres dancers i,ve heard lots about from what i call the old school,kev d,vernon,etc,ive danced against and with some bloody great dancers,at the end of the day to me,its not whos the best ,its about that buzz when its all happening on that floor,the best buzz for me watching was at alferton about 98 or 99 when marky/moaner,graham weaver and goldie broke out there moves in the leisure centre,now that was what i called ,DANCING,OLD SHCOOL,I WISH I HAD A VIDEO OF THAT,carl,east mids soul crew.ktf :lol:

Social source share

well i must agree with all of you about the dancers,theres dancers i,ve heard lots about from what i call the old school,jeffro ,vernon,etc,ive danced against and with some bloody great dancers,at the end of the day to me,its not whos the best ,its about that buzz when its all happening on that floor,the best buzz for me watching was at alferton about 98 or 99 when marky/moaner,graham weaver and goldie broke out there moves in the leisure centre,now that was what i called ,DANCING,OLD SHCOOL,I WISH I HAD A VIDEO OF THAT,carl,east mids soul crew.ktf :lol:

Edited by boxerbeat
Social source share

For me the best ones always look like the music means something to them, as though they are at one with the vocals, the instruments, the lyrics, not just somebody incorporating gymnastics just for the sake of it.

I think each decade has it's icons, as music styles have changed so has the dancing, but for me the overall best has to come from the most prolific generation, the 1970's, and back then Wolverhampton's Gethro (and his missus) epitomised northern soul dancing. He had an effortless grace, irrespective of the tempo. He never looked out of control or hurried, even when other seemed frantic as they attempted to keep up with those thousand mile an hour stompers so popular back then, he never did.

One thing that always strikes me is that you can tell when folk started their dancing by the differences in the style they dance, for example people from around my way who were around in the first five years of the 70's tend to dance much more leaning back (appearing to almost sit on an invisible chair, can't think of a better way to describe it) with their knees slightly bent, than people who came along later did. Not all, but some, recent converts to the scene dance very upright or even worse, leaning forward as though they want to watch their own feet ( just looks wrong to me, sorry. I worry that they are about to topple over, face first into the dance floor. Or maybe they are just checking that their laces are tied ?)

Just remembered another old school one, was a tendancy to turn their head to look left when shuffling right, and turn the head left when shuffling rightwards. Always looked cool that one, dancing one way while looking the other.

Those cool looking little touches that set dancers apart seem to have almost disappeared these days, or am I just not noticing ?

I never mind people not being able to dance these days, but I get miserable that folk can't even clap in the right place, and most don't even bother - have people got no sense of the tribal customs of our scene?

Social source share

Guest soul widow

does it really matter whether people are dancing the old way or the new way old bloody side ways, if people feel from their heart the music then let em dance any way they like.

this is from someone new to the soul scene who loves dancing an would hate to feel stupid by onlookers who are chin stroking lol x x x

Social source share

Guest aintgotit

e,s a fuckin top lad and so is the missus,lynn.love an miss em both. there used to be far too many to mention here though,lets just hope we haven,t seen the last of that kind of bloke. Met a young lad at lifeline the other week only 22, went for it on dancefloor a bit like mark used to and funnily enough a blonde haired woman who reminded me of way lynn used to dance.Dave evison was the dancer i most wanted to be like though, watched him on the sunday night at last prestatyn,and smiled , i still sit up and love to "see him go",as he used to implore the dancefloor to do .who,s the best ? if you can look around and see that kind of verve around you, they all are!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert