Soul Sams Article In Manifesto

Guest kev such

Guest kev such

Just got in from Soul for Heroes (Sutton-In-Ashfield. EXCELLENT day, well done to EVERYONE involved in whatever capacity.

I was handed a copy of Aprils Manifesto and told to go somewhere quiet and read page 18.

Soul Sam has written an article regarding his views on a couple of venues he's attended and also views on March's article regarding the Cream Cracker.

I just wanted to write something in repsonse and to hopefully answer a few points raised.

I firstly take full responsibilty for whatever happens at the Cream Cracker being the sole promoter. Wether that be having to ask drunken people on the dance floor with glasses to leave or respect other people at the venue and to unconditionaly accept the flak when a boot/carver slips past the net. To lay praise squarely and 100% with the guest DJs and punters on a good night but equally accept the full responsibilty for a bad night from the punters point of view.

I have FULL trust in the guest DJs i ask to very kindly take time to do a spot at the Cream Cracker and have no say in what they play or dont play. However that said I promote the venue as 60's Northern, RnB and Early Crossover. I try to book DJs that will play those genres of tunes from the VAST catalogue that is available to any one of us on the scene, punter or DJ.

I have been to plenty of venues where i have approached a DJ and requested a tune to be played if possible and have innumerous times been looked at and told "What, no way I aint playing that, and its not as if i have asked for "Love on a mountain top, or Ghost in my house". I have had people who attended the venue tell me the next time i saw them that the reason they hadnt attended CC for a while was because they were told to "F off", when requesting a tune, which doesnt bode well when i tell everybody who attends that if they want a tune played they should just ask the DJ. For some people a DJ can seem a higher being that shouldnt be spoken to mainly out of fear of being told to sod off or being belittled by someone who wouldnt be able to DJ were it not for the people who genuinly humble me by travelling the distancesthey do to attend venues. Also a certain tune means something different to each of us, and we each have ones that stand out for us personally, if you go to a certain venue hoping to hear that one tune at some point in the night and you have taken your time to pluck up the courage to approach the DJ and they tell you to sod off or look at you as if your head is about to fall off, no matter how good an evening you have had up to that point, that one fleeting moment can make you feel so inadequate.

I have also booked DJs in the past who have turned up with 30 or 40 tunes to do an hours spot, and they have just played one after the other regardless of the floors reaction or not. I have also personally been to events where i have not danced for a DJs entire spot.

I personally do get fed up with hearing the same tunes AGAIN and AGAIN everywhere i go.

I have every faith in a DJ reading the floor at the Cream Cracker, however I have had and have seen DJs who couldnt read 20ft high lettering in bright red on a sunny day 6 inches from their face let alone how a floor should be played. I have seen DJs stand behind the decks like they are counting the loose change in their pockets whilst playing a whole set to an EMPTY dancefloor.

At the start of the CC nearly 4 years ago 5 of us used to DJ every time, and it got stale and boring. I know change the DJs around and even though i am the promoter and also DJ i have no qualms with stepping down or doing a shorter spot. So consequently at CC we know have 5 guest DJs and also 30 minutes from 8.30 to 9pm where anyone can bring some tunes along and play for 30 minutes.

Admittedly 60 to 70% of tunes in a spot of known tunes is high and admittedly this is a general term not one on a contract i get guests to sign when they agree to do a spot, however with the as said vast amount of "OLDIES" available, how many tunes can a person honestly say they have never heard before somewhere. Im NOT asking or demading DJs to play Bobby Sheen, Philip Mitchell, Ike and Tina Turner again and again im simply saying that they shouldnt forget about tunes that have been forgotten about, or underplayed as some venues call them.

My comment regarding "not paying DJ's" if they clear the floor, IS meant as in DJs playing an hours set to try and impress some other promoters or collectors and not giving a toss about the crowd. The comment regarding the Ritz is a prime example of this, i stopped going to the Ritz in Desborough when i noticed the DJs playing to empty floors, so dont come with the passion at the Ritz bollocks, as i have seen people sitting down more often than not at the Ritz on some occasions. Admittedly this is an integral part of the scene and i myself cant explain the buzz when you play a tune and people come up, dancers, promoters or DJs and ask you "what was that last tune, i havent heard it before and its brilliant", admittedly it doesnt happen to me very often. When a DJ of a higher status asks me what was that tune, as happened to me at Leicester Allnighter in January, i cant help but smile and feel chuffed. We all feel it but to want that at the expense of the people who have paid and travelled to your venue to dance as in CC is wrong, IMO.

Regarding "Modern", it seems that EVERBODY has a different take on modern tunes. My personall take is any tunes played in a gay nightclub in New York in the 70's, at the Anglian disco dancing championships in the 80's, in Ibiza or some tent in a field in Surrey in the 90's to present are not Northern Soul. They do however come under the general term SOUL.

I advertise the genres of music played at CC and state clearly on the flyers what they are, the punters come knowing full well what is being played and 150 to 180 peoples tastes are certainly catered for. If people want to hear "MODERN" then there are an infinate amount of venues catering for this. Why should other DJs and promters feel that we all need to move on, admittedly they have probably gotten bored rigid with the "Northern Scene", me and a immeasurable amount of people havent.

The music policy at CC is and has evolved over the 4 years and i hope for the better, i do not want the venue to be another generic oldies night where you can recite every tune played throughout the course of the evening, that is why i try to book as many DJs as possible for each CC, and dont have 4 or 5 residents.

When i am asked to do a spot, i try to do my job, which at the venues i am asked to DJ is to entertain the punters and play tunes that they will hopefully enjoy and to play as many tunes as i can , as a dancer first and foremost, that may make people want to continue dancing not doing a spot where i dictate what they should be listening to. I have many tunes in my playbox that i want to play and we could all do a spot of tunes that are very rarely played and have an empty floor for an hour, however thats not what i am inveted to DJ for.

I have a broad music policy and so do the guests we have at CC, as i have said there are 1000's of excellent 60's Northern tunes and by having as many guests as possible these are hopefully being given a well deserved airing and given the appreciation they deserve without playing a 30 track best Northern album in the world compilation time and time again. I KNOW that The Cream Cracker is not the "In place" to be in the Uk and that it is certainly not everyones cup of tea or will it ever be and i can assure you that i am under NO illusion that it will be written about in innumerous books or magazines over the next 30 years, however at this present moment in time and as for as long as people want to attend i will promote the venue but should there be a mass exodus towards the modern scene and oldies are totally forgotten about, which IMO would be such a shame, i will stop promoting.

Lastly as i have prattled on long enough i request that Mr Soul Sam continues to do whatever it is he does that keeps people loyally following him around the country for many years to come but not to assume that he knows the atmosphere at The Cream Cracker each time one is held without attending yourself. Which can surely be the most cowardly form of critism. The only reason i can think of honestly as to why this has been written disparigingly as it was in response to Mr Chapmans article is because i havent asked Mr Soul Sam to Dj at the Cream Cracker.

Dont hold your breath Sam, i certainly wouldnt want that on my consceince.

Kind Regards

Kev (still NOT doing modern no matter how much you kick and scream) Such

Social source share

• Replies 69
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Bicks

A bit too far away for me but it sounds like my kind of place.

I can understand people getting 'bored' with many of the oldies if they've been going to venues for 30 or 40 years or so, but for some of us who don't have that history some of those 'overplayed' tunes are actually new to us.

If you want to move on and hear 'Modern' stuff that's great but don't slag people off for enjoying now what made you enjoy the scene so much in the 70's or 80's.

It sounds to me that you play exactly what you say on the tin and if that isn't what people want to hear then simply don't come.

I'm not particularly a fan of 'Modern' but that could be because I haven't heard the best stuff and maybe in a few years time I'll hanker after newer music but I'm not about to slag anybody off for wanting to hear it. Each to their own.

In Sam's defence though (and I don't know the man) I heard one of his sets once which kicked off with some 70's disco tune (O'Jays I think) which didn't get a great response then moved onto something even more obscure which cleared the floor even more, however, within a couple of tunes he had people coming back to the floor and by the end of the set it was rammed once again, he knows how to work a crowd methinks.

Social source share

Just got in from Soul for Heroes (Sutton-In-Ashfield. EXCELLENT day, well done to EVERYONE involved in whatever capacity.

I was handed a copy of Aprils Manifesto and told to go somewhere quiet and read page 18.

Soul Sam has written an article regarding his views on a couple of venues he's attended and also views on March's article regarding the Cream Cracker.

I just wanted to write something in repsonse and to hopefully answer a few points raised.

I firstly take full responsibilty for whatever happens at the Cream Cracker being the sole promoter. Wether that be having to ask drunken people on the dance floor with glasses to leave or respect other people at the venue and to unconditionaly accept the flak when a boot/carver slips past the net. To lay praise squarely and 100% with the guest DJs and punters on a good night but equally accept the full responsibilty for a bad night from the punters point of view.

I have FULL trust in the guest DJs i ask to very kindly take time to do a spot at the Cream Cracker and have no say in what they play or dont play. However that said I promote the venue as 60's Northern, RnB and Early Crossover. I try to book DJs that will play those genres of tunes from the VAST catalogue that is available to any one of us on the scene, punter or DJ.

I have been to plenty of venues where i have approached a DJ and requested a tune to be played if possible and have innumerous times been looked at and told "What, no way I aint playing that, and its not as if i have asked for "Love on a mountain top, or Ghost in my house". I have had people who attended the venue tell me the next time i saw them that the reason they hadnt attended CC for a while was because they were told to "F off", when requesting a tune, which doesnt bode well when i tell everybody who attends that if they want a tune played they should just ask the DJ. For some people a DJ can seem a higher being that shouldnt be spoken to mainly out of fear of being told to sod off or being belittled by someone who wouldnt be able to DJ were it not for the people who genuinly humble me by travelling the distancesthey do to attend venues. Also a certain tune means something different to each of us, and we each have ones that stand out for us personally, if you go to a certain venue hoping to hear that one tune at some point in the night and you have taken your time to pluck up the courage to approach the DJ and they tell you to sod off or look at you as if your head is about to fall off, no matter how good an evening you have had up to that point, that one fleeting moment can make you feel so inadequate.

I have also booked DJs in the past who have turned up with 30 or 40 tunes to do an hours spot, and they have just played one after the other regardless of the floors reaction or not. I have also personally been to events where i have not danced for a DJs entire spot.

I personally do get fed up with hearing the same tunes AGAIN and AGAIN everywhere i go.

I have every faith in a DJ reading the floor at the Cream Cracker, however I have had and have seen DJs who couldnt read 20ft high lettering in bright red on a sunny day 6 inches from their face let alone how a floor should be played. I have seen DJs stand behind the decks like they are counting the loose change in their pockets whilst playing a whole set to an EMPTY dancefloor.

At the start of the CC nearly 4 years ago 5 of us used to DJ every time, and it got stale and boring. I know change the DJs around and even though i am the promoter and also DJ i have no qualms with stepping down or doing a shorter spot. So consequently at CC we know have 5 guest DJs and also 30 minutes from 8.30 to 9pm where anyone can bring some tunes along and play for 30 minutes.

Admittedly 60 to 70% of tunes in a spot of known tunes is high and admittedly this is a general term not one on a contract i get guests to sign when they agree to do a spot, however with the as said vast amount of "OLDIES" available, how many tunes can a person honestly say they have never heard before somewhere. Im NOT asking or demading DJs to play Bobby Sheen, Philip Mitchell, Ike and Tina Turner again and again im simply saying that they shouldnt forget about tunes that have been forgotten about, or underplayed as some venues call them.

My comment regarding "not paying DJ's" if they clear the floor, IS meant as in DJs playing an hours set to try and impress some other promoters or collectors and not giving a toss about the crowd. The comment regarding the Ritz is a prime example of this, i stopped going to the Ritz in Desborough when i noticed the DJs playing to empty floors, so dont come with the passion at the Ritz bollocks, as i have seen people sitting down more often than not at the Ritz on some occasions. Admittedly this is an integral part of the scene and i myself cant explain the buzz when you play a tune and people come up, dancers, promoters or DJs and ask you "what was that last tune, i havent heard it before and its brilliant", admittedly it doesnt happen to me very often. When a DJ of a higher status asks me what was that tune, as happened to me at Leicester Allnighter in January, i cant help but smile and feel chuffed. We all feel it but to want that at the expense of the people who have paid and travelled to your venue to dance as in CC is wrong, IMO.

Regarding "Modern", it seems that EVERBODY has a different take on modern tunes. My personall take is any tunes played in a gay nightclub in New York in the 70's, at the Anglian disco dancing championships in the 80's, in Ibiza or some tent in a field in Surrey in the 90's to present are not Northern Soul. They do however come under the general term SOUL.

I advertise the genres of music played at CC and state clearly on the flyers what they are, the punters come knowing full well what is being played and 150 to 180 peoples tastes are certainly catered for. If people want to hear "MODERN" then there are an infinate amount of venues catering for this. Why should other DJs and promters feel that we all need to move on, admittedly they have probably gotten bored rigid with the "Northern Scene", me and a immeasurable amount of people havent.

The music policy at CC is and has evolved over the 4 years and i hope for the better, i do not want the venue to be another generic oldies night where you can recite every tune played throughout the course of the evening, that is why i try to book as many DJs as possible for each CC, and dont have 4 or 5 residents.

When i am asked to do a spot, i try to do my job, which at the venues i am asked to DJ is to entertain the punters and play tunes that they will hopefully enjoy and to play as many tunes as i can , as a dancer first and foremost, that may make people want to continue dancing not doing a spot where i dictate what they should be listening to. I have many tunes in my playbox that i want to play and we could all do a spot of tunes that are very rarely played and have an empty floor for an hour, however thats not what i am inveted to DJ for.

I have a broad music policy and so do the guests we have at CC, as i have said there are 1000's of excellent 60's Northern tunes and by having as many guests as possible these are hopefully being given a well deserved airing and given the appreciation they deserve without playing a 30 track best Northern album in the world compilation time and time again. I KNOW that The Cream Cracker is not the "In place" to be in the Uk and that it is certainly not everyones cup of tea or will it ever be and i can assure you that i am under NO illusion that it will be written about in innumerous books or magazines over the next 30 years, however at this present moment in time and as for as long as people want to attend i will promote the venue but should there be a mass exodus towards the modern scene and oldies are totally forgotten about, which IMO would be such a shame, i will stop promoting.

Lastly as i have prattled on long enough i request that Mr Soul Sam continues to do whatever it is he does that keeps people loyally following him around the country for many years to come but not to assume that he knows the atmosphere at The Cream Cracker each time one is held without attending yourself. Which can surely be the most cowardly form of critism. The only reason i can think of honestly as to why this has been written disparigingly as it was in response to Mr Chapmans article is because i havent asked Mr Soul Sam to Dj at the Cream Cracker.

Dont hold your breath Sam, i certainly wouldnt want that on my consceince.

Kind Regards

Kev (still NOT doing modern no matter how much you kick and scream) Such

:lol::lol::) Well.. Reading your posting, Kev, I agree and support your general views.. I respect your 'values', too - which I would think should be quite obvious (in the main) to the large majority of soulies (those on S/S anyway) who, I hope, take the time to read & fully digest your standpoint.

As I don't subscribe to Manifesto magazine (yes - shameful, I know :thumbsup: ) I am not in a position to fully evaluate your sentiments - Although my gut feeling tells me my opinion would still remain unchanged, regardless - so kindly & respectfully request the article concerned be posted up, and incorporated within this thread.

Not just to satisfy MY curiosity upon reading it - to see if my gut feeling would prove to be the case. Rather.. (and certain you would wholeheartedly agree) Upon reflection (in hindsight) the interest of 'fairness' would best be served - and in a 'correct & proper' way - by allowing 'both sides' views to be available for evaluation in their entirety.

Unless ALL the facts are lain out - for all to consider - it's difficult to offer support to your stance, or agree/disagree with your feelings.

I, for one, (initially at least) think your attitude toward 'the bigger picture' is more-or-less as spot on & complete as it could be - and just as it SHOULD be from the perspective view point of YOUR position (and the responsibilities that go with it) - but one where it is found VERY SELDOMLY (in reality) to be the case !!

C'mon mate - get it posted - so's we (and you) can then know that our support for your position is truly justifiable and (really..) SHOULD be the ONLY position adopted by those in similar positions to yours at C.C. :D Thanx, Kev, in advance..

Fingers.. :lol:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Hi Kev

I think what you need to do is sit down and write a reply to Manifesto out lining your views and where you are coming from as a promoter on your event.

Keep it short and sweet, but as like Johnny I have not seen Sams article yet, you need to answer him in a constuctive way. Its a bit rich if he has had a go at you and not even set foot in your club !

It appears you have a clear music policy-so thats what you do-good on you for staying with what you want to do :thumbsup: Its your venue, you book the DJs and people know what to expect.

As I say contact Manifesto under "Right to reply"

Rob

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Iv not had manifesto for years so aint read sams article ,isnt sam on here ? i know brian is ,Sams been around just a bit so you cant tell him how to suck eggs ?As some one who puts on nights myself I think you should just do what you do ,if punters dont like it they wont come again ,you will never please all of the people all of the time,just live by the sword or die by it simple. Dont Manifesto have a web site ?

just read it he as gone for the throat ? we dont have other djs unless they realy pester me and i give in and we get by ok !

Edited by soulboy
Social source share

Kev

From my reading of Sam's article he was quoting some of your quotes from a previous issue. I don't know if these quotes are accurate or not, but these were the quotes for the benefit of fingers etc.....

Sam cites the following which apparantly are your words:

Demanding Dj's "Play "60-70% tunes that people know and have"

"If people are not dancing then I am not paying them (The DJ)"

"No modern should be played"

Sam takes each of these quotes and provides his views on why he disagrees citing in the latter case the example of a promotor who 'advised' him what the crowd liked, but when Sam went on he refreshingly found the crowd receptive to the stuff he was playing.

Of course DJs shouldn't tell the punters to "f*ck of" - a polite "No I didn't bring it with me - sorry" normally suffices. But what about the abusive punter? As you mention the Ritz Des, think I should say a few words on that. Whenever I guested there the floor was always full with a good enthusiastic crowd. Carl, Marco etc. had a great vibe going. Admitedly I didn't go in the last two years, and yet ironically this was the only venue ever where I have ever had a punter have a go at the DJ. I was asked for Barbara McNair and told the guy I didn't have it. I was then asked for Brown Sugar - which was totally played out - having been played continuously for about the previous ten years. When I told him I didn't have that in my 200 box either he went into this rant. "Call yourself a DJ? you haven't got the records......you're like that C*nt that Djed at X last month (X being a venue not a million miles away from yours) - he wouldn't play requests either" (said C*nt was actually - on checking later - none other than the DJ known as the countries top rare soul spinner!!!). I explained to this guy (it wasn't you was it Kev???) that I'd only bought two hundred records and that I was sorry I didn't have either of the requests with me. He continued with "you don't have the tunes blah blah and called me a name. In the end I did tell him to "F*ck off" just to get him off of the stage and gave him some abuse, but his whole attitude - as well as his taste in requests - totally sucked. Paying punter or not he has no right to be abusive either. For me, whilst surprising, it didn't put the dampers on an otherwise excellent night.

So back to Sam, all he does is make some reasoned arguments against your own quoted words (assuming you said those things) - I was not aware that this was a crime in todays PC Britain? :thumbsup:. Surely Sam is entitled to the right of expressing his opinions on your opinions? Sam actually does this in a logical and reasoned way without resorting to hysteric comments about modern being played in "gay discos" or "tents in Surrey" - more of your own words. Your lengthy posting actually makes you come across as a bit of a drama queen and big girls blouse - and I am sure you are not. Put your head above the parapet and spout off, then when someone replies to your comments, a lengthy "Ooh I've ben so wounded, It's just not fair". Sounds like some of the Levine stuff.

Why is attendance at your venue required for Sam to have a view when you have supposedly set out your views of what you expect in writing? Sam doesn't need a booking, and whilst he can speak for himself, it is quite clear from his article that he wouldn't want to DJ at a venue where a promotor is telling him what he should and shouldn't play (and no modern). Sam prides himself on knowing what the punters want and he is one of the few DJs in this country that will actually attract people to a venue. Based on that I doubt you'd want to book him (rather than the other way round), for fear that some of his "modern" fans would actually turn up and request some "East Anglian disco dancing" music. If you knew Sam you would also know that he has an excellent box of 60s - including good oldies.

As others have suggsted if you feel so strongly post your reply to Manifesto, they could do with a decent letters page.

Anyway I hope people continue to attend your venue for years to come and enjoy themselves as you obviously have a good local following in Northants.

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Iv not had manifesto for years so aint read sams article ,isnt sam on here ? i know brian is ,Sams been around just a bit so you cant tell him how to suck eggs ?As some one who puts on nights myself I think you should just do what you do ,if punters dont like it they wont come again ,you will never please all of the people all of the time,just live by the sword or die by it simple. Dont Manifesto have a web site ?

just read it he as gone for the throat ? we dont have other djs unless they realy pester me and i give in and we get by ok !

both points of view have validity.

and if you put yourself up to hear criticism, you should take the good with the bad,

both view points are aimed at giving the paying person what they come for,

although a sod or f off to any customer is out of order, as there are far easier ways of

letting the customer down lightly,

Saw Kev at Soul for heroes and he played a good set and the dance floor responded accordingly,

I have got Sam apearing at The Next Sweetsoul and this is his third apearance for us

as he does what he has done for a lot of years, entertains and mixes the old with the new and also pushes the boundaries

just enough that people come back for more,

But he does play requests if he has them and apologises if he hasnt,

so Kev I Would book Soul Sam just to ask him to play a spot of which if you ask he will and does play known tunes

Some of which where played by him first,

And Sam doesnt come on Soul Source as far as I know,

But he would be the first to acknowledge, its the dancers that count and that is who he plays for 1st and foremost.

Kev pm and we will have you at SS next year as your spot did impress.

Social source share

Kev

From my reading of Sam's article he was quoting some of your quotes from a previous issue. I don't know if these quotes are accurate or not, but these were the quotes for the benefit of fingers etc.....

Sam takes each of these quotes and provides his views on why he disagrees citing in the latter case the example of a promotor who 'advised' him what the crowd liked, but when Sam went on he refreshingly found the crowd receptive to the stuff he was playing.

Really need to see the original article/review, some of the quotes could be misconstrued. The impression that I'm getting, is that this is basically just the same old newies versus oldies debate. :thumbsup:

PS has anyone got a soundclip of The Topics - Hey Girl on Chadwick? :boxing:

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

the problem is some people in this scene imho are deemed superior beings and we the great unwashed have to bow to them

like f**K

as a 50 something I think we should be adult enough to make our own judgments and when someone disses someone else or an event etc thare should be a right of reply

btw who the hell is soul sam :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest posstot

Am trying to load the article up, hope this works.

Kev

Right then, It looks like "Soul?"Sam doesn't know you, has never been to your do and disagrees with your clubs policy. Seems to me, regardless of his pedigree, that he's a bit of a tosser.

You, after reading your words, are succesfully running a venue, more at the original values of the "northern" soul scene, than Soul Sam's vision of the scene. In my personal opinion, Soul Sam is a d.j to avoid. That's my opinion, based on listenning to his sets from the mid-eighties up until most recently at Middleton. ( he can turn any venue into a main street night club in the flick of a switch)

If Mr. Sam is not in agreement with your Music policy.....why doesn't he generalise in his opinion about clubs like the Hideaway, Barsnley stormin soul, Burnley, Wilton, pow wow, no way out, etc, etc, etc, etc. Rather than pick you out in particular. ( have you turned down his advances or something?) :thumbsup:

Also, most Importantly, his opinoin of your club, is wrong. That's always a good starting point for a debate.

The best thing to do, is ignore it, and get back on with what your doing. Then, if you meet, in passing. Tell him personally, to his face, in private, what you think and walk away, knowing that you are the most decent out of the two of you. Don't, like i have just done...at least any more than you have done already...do this publically...Like him.

Mike

Social source share

Guest kev such

Kev

Of course DJs shouldn't tell the punters to "f*ck of" - a polite "No I didn't bring it with me - sorry" normally suffices. But what about the abusive punter? As you mention the Ritz Des, think I should say a few words on that. Whenever I guested there the floor was always full with a good enthusiastic crowd. Carl, Marco etc. had a great vibe going. Admitedly I didn't go in the last two years, and yet ironically this was the only venue ever where I have ever had a punter have a go at the DJ. I was asked for Barbara McNair and told the guy I didn't have it. I was then asked for Brown Sugar - which was totally played out - having been played continuously for about the previous ten years. When I told him I didn't have that in my 200 box either he went into this rant. "Call yourself a DJ? you haven't got the records......you're like that C*nt that Djed at X last month (X being a venue not a million miles away from yours) - he wouldn't play requests either" (said C*nt was actually - on checking later - none other than the DJ known as the countries top rare soul spinner!!!). I explained to this guy (it wasn't you was it Kev???) that I'd only bought two hundred records and that I was sorry I didn't have either of the requests with me. He continued with "you don't have the tunes blah blah and called me a name. In the end I did tell him to "F*ck off" just to get him off of the stage and gave him some abuse, but his whole attitude - as well as his taste in requests - totally sucked. Paying punter or not he has no right to be abusive either. For me, whilst surprising, it didn't put the dampers on an otherwise excellent night.

So back to Sam, all he does is make some reasoned arguments against your own quoted words (assuming you said those things) - I was not aware that this was a crime in todays PC Britain? :thumbsup: . Surely Sam is entitled to the right of expressing his opinions on your opinions? Sam actually does this in a logical and reasoned way without resorting to hysteric comments about modern being played in "gay discos" or "tents in Surrey" - more of your own words. Your lengthy posting actually makes you come across as a bit of a drama queen and big girls blouse - and I am sure you are not. Put your head above the parapet and spout off, then when someone replies to your comments, a lengthy "Ooh I've ben so wounded, It's just not fair". Sounds like some of the Levine stuff.

Why is attendance at your venue required for Sam to have a view when you have supposedly set out your views of what you expect in writing? Sam doesn't need a booking, and whilst he can speak for himself, it is quite clear from his article that he wouldn't want to DJ at a venue where a promotor is telling him what he should and shouldn't play (and no modern). Sam prides himself on knowing what the punters want and he is one of the few DJs in this country that will actually attract people to a venue. Based on that I doubt you'd want to book him (rather than the other way round), for fear that some of his "modern" fans would actually turn up and request some "East Anglian disco dancing" music. If you knew Sam you would also know that he has an excellent box of 60s - including good oldies.

As others have suggsted if you feel so strongly post your reply to Manifesto, they could do with a decent letters page.

Anyway I hope people continue to attend your venue for years to come and enjoy themselves as you obviously have a good local following in Northants.

Steve

Certainly wasnt me Steve, as id remember because if it had been id have expected you to have dropped me.

Social source share

Blimey!

Soul Sam appears to be answering in Manifesto comments that you made in Manifesto previously.

Is that not allowed?

As a member with almost a thousands posts I would think you would know that Soul Sam is not a member on here. So why reply to him on here?

Seems to me you are as big a drama queen as your mate who told you to "go somewhere quiet and read page 18." :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kev such

So back to Sam, all he does is make some reasoned arguments against your own quoted words (assuming you said those things) - I was not aware that this was a crime in todays PC Britain? :thumbsup: . Surely Sam is entitled to the right of expressing his opinions on your opinions? Sam actually does this in a logical and reasoned way without resorting to hysteric comments about modern being played in "gay discos" or "tents in Surrey" - more of your own words. Your lengthy posting actually makes you come across as a bit of a drama queen and big girls blouse - and I am sure you are not. Put your head above the parapet and spout off, then when someone replies to your comments, a lengthy "Ooh I've ben so wounded, It's just not fair". Sounds like some of the Levine stuff.

Steve

Steve.

I am in no doubt as to Sams credentials. I admittedly am i very little fish in a bloody big pond but over the past 4 years have had innumerous bashings regarding the Cream Cracker as to my reasons etc... for running the venue. From promoters that have started up, and admittedly have been into the scene for an infinately longer period than myself. The only other venues in my area when i started were The Ritz and The Embankment. Before i started the venue i did ask about as to what local people wanted as some (admittedly not all) had become dissilliousioned with both venues (not the travelling soulies mind you, the locals) The 2 years that you didnt attend the Ritz were surprisingly the time it started going down hill. The reasons for this i will not go into as Mr Boddington knows why this happened. Ask him to tell you the comments made to him by a local soulie who supported him for years right up to the penultimate one and why after they had spent £70 odd on taxis he offered them free admission next time. Karl ran just about all the venues around here or had a hand in them., and is still trying to.

I have worked hard to try and put on an honest event and the items brought out from the Cream Cracker article by Sam, and put into his article are from my own and from peoples comments and experiences at other events. I did not see Sams article as his conjective opinion towards the article previous or comments of a person with first hand experience. I know fully well where they came from.There always seems to be an element that just want to crush or belittle anything anyone does on the scene unless of course you are of "the chosen few".

If you had ever met me Steve, you would know that i an certainly not a teddy out of my pram throwing big girls blouse ( admittedly i do fly off the handle sometimes) i am someone who stands my ground but apologises publically, privately when i am wrong, as i have done on this site probably too many times. I've lost count the amount of times i have had to apologise to Lenny Dopson.

Sam IS as is anyone fully entitled to their opinions and beliefs for gods sake, but you must know full well how damaging a main player can undermine something. I dont DEMAND anything from the guests, they know why they are there and its up to them to play a spot however they see fit. I tried the "respectfully request" attitude to Djs but they did their own thing anyway and the soulies stopped attending. If a DJ doesnt want to do a spot at the Cream Cracker then thats up to them and likewise if people do not want to attend then that is completely out of my control as any promoter. However it is my job as promoter to book Djs that will make the travelling and entry cost worthwhile, wether that be rare, 70's, 80's, underplayed, overplayed, obscure,60's, etc etc etc.....

Admittedly Sams comments in his article were made in direct(ish) response to my comments in the previous issue, and i stand by what was written by me, however to presume that i do not trust the guests or to say "why would a dj have a tune in his box he didnt intend to play" is missing the point.

We get a great crowd at the Cream Cracker and the majority are not locals far from it or are they soulies who only attend because they are loyally following any particular guest around the country. Sam did a spot at a local event a few years ago, it was the best attended night they had had, but the next event was back to its normal 30 or 40 regulars, none of the people who followed Sam came back, however at The Cream Cracker they do.

Regards

Kev

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest kev such

Blimey!

Soul Sam appears to be answering in Manifesto comments that you made in Manifesto previously.

Is that not allowed?

As a member with almost a thousands posts I would think you would know that Soul Sam is not a member on here. So why reply to him on here?

Seems to me you are as big a drama queen as your mate who told you to "go somewhere quiet and read page 18." :thumbsup:

My apologies i thought this was public forum for lovers of the soul scene and that manifesto is a magazine for lovers of soul music.

Social source share

My apologies i thought this was public forum for lovers of the soul scene and that manifesto is a magazine for lovers of soul music.

You are right on both counts.

But you are replying to something Soul Sam (who isn't a member on here) wrote in Manifesto.

Soul Source is not Manifesto.

Social source share

Guest soulboy

Right then, It looks like "Soul?"Sam doesn't know you, has never been to your do and disagrees with your clubs policy. Seems to me, regardless of his pedigree, that he's a bit of a tosser.

You, after reading your words, are succesfully running a venue, more at the original values of the "northern" soul scene, than Soul Sam's vision of the scene. In my personal opinion, Soul Sam is a d.j to avoid. That's my opinion, based on listenning to his sets from the mid-eighties up until most recently at Middleton. ( he can turn any venue into a main street night club in the flick of a switch)

If Mr. Sam is not in agreement with your Music policy.....why doesn't he generalise in his opinion about clubs like the Hideaway, Barsnley stormin soul, Burnley, Wilton, pow wow, no way out, etc, etc, etc, etc. Rather than pick you out in particular. ( have you turned down his advances or something?) :thumbsup:

Also, most Importantly, his opinoin of your club, is wrong. That's always a good starting point for a debate.

The best thing to do, is ignore it, and get back on with what your doing. Then, if you meet, in passing. Tell him personally, to his face, in private, what you think and walk away, knowing that you are the most decent out of the two of you. Don't, like i have just done...at least any more than you have done already...do this publically...Like him.

Mike

Iv seen sam dj hundreds of times over the years and you have got to admit he dont let the grass grow under is feet ,He could have easly sat back and lived off his reputation ,but thats not him ,and with out forward thinking dj's like sam this scene would have ground to a halt years ago,

Social source share

You are right on both counts.

But you are replying to something Soul Sam (who isn't a member on here) wrote in Manifesto.

Soul Source is not Manifesto.

Any post that mentions Soul Sam on any forum is usually printed out and given to him by somebody, you can guarantee that. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Any post that mentions Soul Sam on any forum is usually printed out and given to him by somebody, you can guarantee that. :thumbsup:

Sam is one of the most approachable people on the scene and probably one of the easiest to locate at weekends as he is always out DJing somewhere.

The grown up thing would have been for Kev Such to go and have a word with Sam in person.

But there would be no public drama in that would there?

Social source share

Mike

I appreciate your opinion, but dont call my friend a tosser, you dont know him. He is a bloody nice bloke.........please speak your mind, but dont abuse people you dont know.

Russ

Social source share

Another case of different strokes.....

We've already had two essays (though one must do better), so I'll be brief....

Comparing and contrasting music policy always stirs things up, especially as in this case, the policies are at the extreme ends of the scale, one stuck in the past and the other refreshingly progressive. If you don't like the music policy, then stay away, simple as..........

It seems that some people can dish out criticism, but can't take it....

I don't know Kev Such but I had a number of phone conversations when I first started Creative Soul.....he wasn't happy that I had started a "competing" night on his doorstep, he even tried to make the point that his night was progressive............yeah right!! :thumbsup:

'Cos everyone knows that we share the same policy :boxing:

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

I appreciate your opinion, but dont call my friend a tosser, you dont know him. He is a bloody nice bloke.........please speak your mind, but dont abuse people you dont know.

Russ

It's like being back at school on here sometimes...

Social source share

Sam is one of the most approachable people on the scene and probably one of the easiest to locate at weekends as he is always out DJing somewhere.

The grown up thing would have been for Kev Such to go and have a word with Sam in person.

But there would be no public drama in that would there?

He is a nice bloke, Joan, a top DJ and certainly has his place in soul scene history, but he is prone to hypocrisy in print and his articles do have a tendency to incense people, I know that from personal experience, I got on the wrong end of him in Manifestering once myself over a response to one of his articles I posted on the EMS forum, or as Sam called it 'the EMS chatline' and he didn't understand that 'Dodger' was merely a screen name for me! :thumbsup:

Couldn't resist doing this in response:

422757.jpg

Personall I think it's best to not take things too seriously sometimes, it's only a hobby after all. :boxing:

Edited by Soulsorts
Social source share

Guest kev such

Comparing and contrasting music policy always stirs things up, especially as in this case, the policies are at the extreme ends of the scale, one stuck in the past and the other refreshingly progressive. If you don't like the music policy, then stay away, simple as..........

I don't know Kev Such but I had a number of phone conversations when I first started Creative Soul.....he wasn't happy that I had started a "competing" night on his doorstep, he even tried to make the point that his night was progressive............yeah right!! :thumbsup:

For crying out loud Cliff. I never said that the Cream Cracker was progressive, You presumed what tunes were being played continuously and when i mentioned some of the tunes in mine and others playlists you admitted that you had been hasty. But then again i didnt tape the conversation and we were the only two on the phone. I wasnt bothered in any way about you starting your event, how ficking pretentious would that have made me, i objected to the fact that you were slagging the CC to make yourself look better, simple.

Kev

Social source share

Guest posstot

Iv seen sam dj hundreds of times over the years and you have got to admit he dont let the grass grow under is feet ,He could have easly sat back and lived off his reputation ,but thats not him ,and with out forward thinking dj's like sam this scene would have ground to a halt years ago,

All i am saying in my defence, in my opinion. To my personal tastes. Sam isn't in my top 500. And your opinion, that without Sam the scene would have ground to a halt years ago, is frankly rediculous. SOZ, but what is forward thinking about playing records you can buy in hmv?

Please don't get me wrong, i have spoken, and bought records off the bloke over the years. He was always polite to me and seemed amicable enough. Just our music tastes, on the whole, differ somewhat. As do ours it seems..Doesn't mean we have to argue.

With regerds to this thread, it seemed to me Sam was quite publically rude to an individual in a magazine that is read by many people....My advice to the original postee was to make it a private matter. Rather than make it even more Public.

I have nothing more to say than he has a right to defend a public personal attack.

Social source share

All i am saying in my defence, in my opinion. To my personal tastes. Sam isn't in my top 500. And your opinion, that without Sam the scene would have ground to a halt years ago, is frankly rediculous. SOZ, but what is forward thinking about playing records you can buy in hmv?

Please don't get me wrong, i have spoken, and bought records off the bloke over the years. He was always polite to me and seemed amicable enough. Just our music tastes, on the whole, differ somewhat. As do ours it seems..Doesn't mean we have to argue.

With regerds to this thread, it seemed to me Sam was quite publically rude to an individual in a magazine that is read by many people....My advice to the original postee was to make it a private matter. Rather than make it even more Public.

I have nothing more to say than he has a right to defend a public personal attack.

Good post.

If being progressive is playing modern soul records to deserted floors then who wants to progress?

The worst dj's are those who play to themselves and try to inflict their superior taste on others.

Whether Sam does this or not, I don't know, I've not heard him dj for years and wouldn't want to going by reports I read.

I just hope he never read that post I made about Andy Wall syphoning his petrol after a do at the Vic then resyphoning it back in again when he realised it was sam's car :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest posstot

This is the article that Sam replied to.

After reading that, why would i want to publically have a dig at you. It seems you have every right to defend yourself. All i can see is possitivity and enthusiasm. (how very dare you). Carry on defending yourself. Just not here. Do it privately, and/or with the publication itself. After all they edit the Magazine.....should/could they not have omitted this from there issue.

Social source share

I would be friggin' mad if someone was talking about me on a forum I was not a member of :thumbsup:

P :boxing:

Why, how would he know? And if he did know, he'd join and reply. I know places who've had discussions about me, I've never even met them or don't even know them, Just let them get on with it is the best thing to do.

Social source share

When I read the original post I was a bit mentally dismissive of it, but your offering tends to make me think it may have some merit. Why post what you did unless it was meant as a spoiler borne of sour grapes?

As for this bit:

"It seems that some people can dish out criticism, but can't take it...."

That strikes me as a bit rich considering your reaction to opinions on last year's Lifeline weekender. :P

Social source share

Although I feel this is throwing the dummy out of the pram area I have to admit that to make comment on somewhere you have not been is dubious. To make comment on another persons view however is acceptable and therefore this is where this story crosses and I think you will never find a happy medium in this case. What if sam for the last 20 years had never played amellow sound but nothing but stompers (even new ones) then I think your opinion might be different. I have to agree with others- this appears to be the old one of Classic oldies (of which some crossover come into this category) and progressive soul .

Mind you Kev would you like to answer the question - Have you ever refused to pay the Dj cos he cleared the floor for most of the set if not all? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

This is the article that Sam replied to.

glad i saw this before adding a post, have been on this thread since post#13, & started to write something,then rewording,in case it was taken the wrong way

personally i would'nt have 'early crossover played ' as that can be translated as disco sh*te by some ph34r.gif

re; your article, it was probably the words 'no modern ' that prompted sam to write his article, ,, have to say though , he's a decent, no, a great bloke ,a true icon on our scene,who has been there done it & got the t-shirt

you stick to your principles, & keep what sounds like a great night going

gaz

Social source share

Guest kev such

Although I feel this is throwing the dummy out of the pram area I have to admit that to make comment on somewhere you have not been is dubious. To make comment on another persons view however is acceptable and therefore this is where this story crosses and I think you will never find a happy medium in this case. What if sam for the last 20 years had never played amellow sound but nothing but stompers (even new ones) then I think your opinion might be different. I have to agree with others- this appears to be the old one of Classic oldies (of which some crossover come into this category) and progressive soul .

Mind you Kev would you like to answer the question - Have you ever refused to pay the Dj cos he cleared the floor for most of the set if not all? ohmy.gif

Unfortunately many people believe the term "Oldies" to mean tunes played over and over again at innumerous venues the length and breadth of the country which in some catagories has foundation. However we do play oldies at the Cream Cracker but by bringing in as many guests as possible the amount of "oldies" played is infinate, well maybe not infinate but a lot anyway.

I have never not payed a DJ for doing a spot, even when the floor was emptied for the duration of a certain Dj. I have paid less to a Dj that may have played a boot or carver when the policy is OVO.However they will not be invited again, as it is down to me regarding booking them and i must take full responsibilty if it doesnt work. Not the Dj. I ask for no modern as the crowd that come along know whats being played. The term Early Crossover has quite a wide spectrum, so this does allow for some flexibilty. But not to the point where the more modern tunes detract of over shadow the 60's and Rnb.

Kev

30th May Cream Cracker. Hammie, Andy C, Ian J, Bearsy, Marky Mole. Punter spot Gus

15th August Cream Cracker. Ted Massey, Moldie and Chris, Nidge, Wayne Mosely, Alan Leighton, Marky Mole.

20th March 2010. Sean Chapman, Mick Moylan, Dr Pickles, Bob Lee.

Surely the guests up and coming would not agree to do spots if i dictated to the above well renowned and respected names what to play and how to play their own spots. But hopefully the mix of DJs each time WILL give the people who attend the best possible night of music for their monies worth?

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Any post that mentions Soul Sam on any forum is usually printed out and given to him by somebody, you can guarantee that. whistling.gif

:thumbup: ,would that be from one of his entourage?.Surely Sam can browse this forum without being a member?

Social source share

laugh.gif ,would that be from one of his entourage?.Surely Sam can browse this forum without being a member?

Kev ,i may be wrong but i'm almost certain Sam does'nt even posess a computer ,so i very much doubt he'll be browsing on here :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest soulboy

I agree he must have his say if some one slags off your night,lets face it Sam is the top of the tree he plays what he likes and knows in time many of these tracks will go big .I ment dj's like sam ,searling ect,look at me defending them i play mostly oldies!

Social source share

Guest kev such

"DJ's are asked to play 60 - 70% of tunes in their spot that people know and have and can dance to but also play 30% of tunes that they as DJ's think are good dance tunes."

How can anyone presume to know what people do or do not know?

I was trying to get across in the article, not very succesfully mind you, that i didnt want to have DJs that played an entire set of tunes that the majority had never heard before anywhere. If that makes sense.

Social source share

i think that you know your venues Kev and what works for it.

if your aspirations are reflective of those who pay to attend then you are most certainly doing something right.

Don't let the written words of others affect you if you have confidence in the reasons for what you are doing mate.

just keep those regulars 'cream crackered' Kev and ignore outside influences, and maybe invite Mr.Barnfather down to experience the cram cracker first hand, to talk to the regulars and to you, as i well know, sometimes peoples words or actions can be misperceived by others.

p.s. nice set at soul for heroes mush wink.gif

Social source share

Kev ,i may be wrong but i'm almost certain Sam does'nt even posess a computer ,so i very much doubt he'll be browsing on here :D

Some of the things i read on here shock and stun me,i'm truly gobsmacked.But to tell me Sam doesn't have a computer Nev ohmy.gif ,,,,where does he store his mp3's? :thumbup: .Not very "modern" is it? laugh.gif .

Charity event anyone? Sam's Computer All dayer?

Social source share

Some of the things i read on here shock and stun me,i'm truly gobsmacked.But to tell me Sam doesn't have a computer Nev ohmy.gif ,,,,where does he store his mp3's? :D .Not very "modern" is it? :lol: .

Charity event anyone? Sam's Computer All dayer?

A worthy cause kev--its true

but what does he write his articles on unsure.gif ??

PARCHMENT :D with Quill and Ink :thumbup: sent direct by stagecoach to Mike Ritson

Rob

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

about a year or so ago Kev asked me if i was up for a guest spot at Cream Cracker and as ive not been to CC before i asked the music policy and what the punters mainly like etc etc, Kev informed me that it was mainly known of 60s, R&B and early 70s/crossover that his punters preferred but are also open to something new or different but preferbly not modern, what do punters know who knows until you try wink.gif anyway i said yes i fancy doing a spot for you at CC and im on at the end of this month, Kev has not told me what to play but given me a good idea of what HIS Event is about, its up to me on the night to give him what he has hired me for and that is to make his crowd go home Cream Crackered and happy as i take it that being the promoter he kind of knows what works for his event,

things can come accross different to how they read so i just wanted to let you lot know that Kev aint a dictator but a promoter that cares passionately about his event and wants to do it his way, we all have a choice so just enjoy yours,

ps, i aint Kevs best buddy pal either as i only met him for the first time last month and yeah he is a nice fella just like Sam :thumbup:

Social source share

Certainly wasnt me Steve, as id remember because if it had been id have expected you to have dropped me.

Kev I'd vever hit anyone in a soul venue, not being a fan of violence anyway.... the guy concerned was a fat geezer and he liked Barbaba McNair - that's all I can remember.

Interesting line these days as to what is known by the majority and what isn't - which is the point Joan is making. Certainly many go to Lifeline, 100 Club etc. and hear - lets call them "progressive" sounds - at various weekenders up and down the country, so the type of sounds played at these clubs should be known to most by now I would have thought? Unless people don't go to these venues I guess.

PS: Sam I believe uses pen and ink for his articles. It may seem odd to those of us who use computers, but not everyone does.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert