Bobby Bland

Guest mrs norman maine

Guest mrs norman maine

Apologies if already posted, but just noticed 'Two Steps from the Blues' is on at 9pm BBC4, in less than half an hour!

Social source share

• Replies 45
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

TV or Radio?

Mal :D

TV, part of BBC4 blues season. Just watched a great performance by BB King. Something for those of us staying in, while the wife goes out... :unsure:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Well, that was fantastic. Thanks for posting.

Yep, I enjoyed that. Even the GVs, as I think they call them in the world of show, were nicely used.

And only a tiny bit of Mick 'why?' Hucknall at the end. :D

Social source share

Wonderful insight into Bobby Bland's singing career, never realised how much his music influenced Elvis Presley and what little money he made from so many great records.

Social source share

Wonderful insight into Bobby Bland's singing career, never realised how much his music influenced Elvis Presley and what little money he made from so many great records.

Yeah, cos traditionally it was the black guys ripping off the whiteys and making tons of money off it B)

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

managed to catch last 40 mins of this and unless i missed it, There wasn't much about his Northern soul output

I understand it was to be for the blues but surely if you are doing a show let's say a show about someone and the career off it should cover all aspects weather they went to do Gospel, Jazz, Disco, Northern Soul, Motown, Blues, Rock or whatever

Social source share

Guest bobby's girl

managed to catch last 40 mins of this and unless i missed it, There wasn't much about his Northern soul output

I understand it was to be for the blues but surely if you are doing a show let's say a show about someone and the career off it should cover all aspects weather they went to do Gospel, Jazz, Disco, Northern Soul, Motown, Blues, Rock or whatever

I'm with you WP VanDyk. Good documentary an' some great footage, particularly the duet with BB King and Stormy Monday... stirling stuff. But quite disappointed they didn't include his northern stuff. Thought 'Shoes' was pretty high up in the popularity stakes. Pretty big oversight missing out that one.

Curious. Any of you folks out there ever been to a Bobby Bland gig in England? With BB King? ...Course I'm far too young to have

been... :D

Social source share

Meet the Spartans. Crikey Rod!

Don't you get any say in what goes on in your house?

I was on my own!!

Followed that by "Dark Angel-the Ascent", a "horror" film supposedly set in US but it was obviously Romania [borne out by the credits at the end].

What can I say, I like trash films, and a docu on Bobby Bland is too much like doing homework.

ROD

Social source share

Curious. Any of you folks out there ever been to a Bobby Bland gig in England? With BB King? ...Course I'm far too young to have

been... :D

Just got in and just seen the thread.

Thanks for the tip Wendy - and Chalky for the heads up that its to be repeated later.

I've seen Bobby Bland live twice, in the UK.

Once at Hammersmith Odeon (now the Appolo - Malaco review) and a few years later up at Colne!

Just love the man.

:unsure:

Sean

Social source share

been... :rolleyes:

My all time favourite singer.

An interesting and informative doc, especially when he decribed how he 'acquired' his trademark 'growl' by learning to tilt his head sideways and somehow restrict his airflow in his throat.

We saw his at Manchester (Nynex Arena) many years back supporting Van Morrison, he was very good but had some problems with his voice or throat, cuz every 10 mins or so he would let out this huge 'bark like cough', sometimes mid-song.....

Social source share

God! Really annoyed I missed it! But I had the most fantastic time at the Bulls Head in Moseley, Brum dancing to Bill Brewster at Dropout Boogie- disco/ house/ funk and balearic. Some of you northern heads oughta get along to nights like this - it will restore your faith in music. Bobby Bland is one of my alltime favourite singers and after listening to "Who Will The Next Fool Be?" it's hard to think of a better record. Says so much about love and the human condition that prats like Mick Hucknall should quietly give up and become the traffic wardens or estate agents they were meant to be...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I'm with you WP VanDyk. Good documentary an' some great footage, particularly the duet with BB King and Stormy Monday... stirling stuff. But quite disappointed they didn't include his northern stuff. Thought 'Shoes' was pretty high up in the popularity stakes. Pretty big oversight missing out that one.

been... :rolleyes:

...Bobby Bland's "Northern Output" is restricted to a handful of sides, none of which mean anything in the greater scheme of all things Bland.

I doubt that Bobby has ever given a second thought to things like "Yum Yum Tree" or "Shoes" since the day he recorded them. And why would he - after all, he's a world renowned entertainer with hundreds of classic sides to his credit, not a museum piece known only for two or three admittedly very good B sides (which is all they were) that he cut in the mid 60s. These records have no profile outside the Northern scene. There's no reason at all why anyone should expect to find any mention of them whatsoever in a programme that has to cover six decades of a career in 60 minutes...

What a dumb thing to be "quite disappointed" not to find in a programme about a man who's been recording and performing for almost 60 years! Especially when it was such a great, well thought out programme.

You are hereby ordered to go away and spend the day listening to "Two Steps From The Blues"...

I've seen Bobby Bland several times in the UK. by the way. He was at his best when he came with the Malaco show that also featured Denise LaSalle and Johnnie taylor, among others...

TONE

PS - If anyone noticed this advertised in the Radio Times and wondered who the portly, pompadoured gentleman pictured beside the blurb was because it's not Bobby - welll, it's actually Billy Bland

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

God! Really annoyed I missed it! But I had the most fantastic time at the Bulls Head in Moseley, Brum dancing to Bill Brewster at Dropout Boogie- disco/ house/ funk and balearic. Some of you northern heads oughta get along to nights like this - it will restore your faith in music.

...think you'll find that the reason most 'Northern Heads' don't go to disco/house/funk/balearic nights is that they still have plenty of faith in music (and plenty of places to go and hear the music they have faith in) and don't need it 'restored' by anything else.... :rolleyes:

Social source share

...Bobby Bland's "Northern Output" is restricted to a handful of sides, none of which mean anything in the greater scheme of all things Bland.

I doubt that Bobby has ever given a second thought to things like "Yum Yum Tree" or "Shoes" since the day he recorded them. And why would he - after all, he's a world renowned entertainer with hundreds of classic sides to his credit, not a museum piece known only for two or three admittedly very good B sides (which is all they were) that he cut in the mid 60s. These records have no profile outside the Northern scene. There's no reason at all why anyone should expect to find any mention of them whatsoever in a programme that has to cover six decades of a career in 60 minutes...

What a dumb thing to be "quite disappointed" not to find in a programme about a man who's been recording and performing for almost 60 years! Especially when it was such a great, well thought out programme.

You are hereby ordered to go away and spend the day listening to "Two Steps From The Blues"...

I've seen Bobby Bland several times in the UK. by the way. He was at his best when he came with the Malaco show that also featured Denise LaSalle and Johnnie taylor, among others...

TONE

PS - If anyone noticed this advertised in the Radio Times and wondered who the portly, pompadoured gentleman pictured beside the blurb was because it's not Bobby - welll, it's actually Billy Bland

Good to see you actually start the day grumpy rather than work up to it Tony :rolleyes:

Spot on though. I've been having expressing similar thoughts on the FW thread. I think despite having a slightly higher public profile these days, the NS scene is really insular and, rather the oddly, many of the people involved seem to think that the stuff that's important to the scene is of equal merit outside. I think it's sort of the opposite. The fact that the records played on a largely underground scene are ignored by the mainstraim helps to maintain a bit of the mistique (and also promotes that sense of superiority of which we're all so guilty. Can't have it both ways can we?

Blimey - Sunday soapbox - think I should go back to bed for an hour :huh:

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Super,wonderful,fantastic,sky plus'd the program so i can watch Bobby an BB as many time s as i want..Priceless.

Social source share

TONE

Social source share

TONE

Oops hand slipped before putting reply in previous post! I couldn't agree with you more Tony. I originally started buying BB in the early 60s as much for sides like St James Infirmary as Turn On Your Lovelight. Whatever he sang and in whatever style was just so soulful. We were probably at the same shows Tone, as I saw the Malaco show as well as BB's first show here with BB King & John Lee Hooker - a magical moment. You have also stolen my thunder about the picture in the Radio Times being of Billy Bland not Bobby, I was going to put that on here!

SLIM

Social source share

TONE

I do allot of Business with Roger Dixon the Pic Editor over there (Radio Times), I will remind him of this as I'm sure he got the image from Michael Ochs, via Getty... that way I can take a poke at Getty Pictures who have single handed killed the Industry I work in..

Michael Ochs sold out and thats fine but Getty will just push the Stones and Beatles images, all that rich imagery they have will be forgotten cause they cant be bothered to run about for one pic here one pic there for clients, thats the way they work, its all about bigger deals which don't care about the little things.. ie detail..

Now I've got that off my chest.. was'nt it a great programme? BBC4 does it again...

mal

While you're at it Mal, you can remind them of the time the BBC/Top Of The Pops showed the picture of Jockie Wilson the Darts player while playing a Jackie Wilson record - no doubt that was Getty pictures too!

Slim

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Just got in and just seen the thread.

Thanks for the tip Wendy - and Chalky for the heads up that its to be repeated later.

I've seen Bobby Bland live twice, in the UK.

Once at Hammersmith Odeon (now the Appolo - Malaco review) and a few years later up at Colne!

Just love the man.

:)

Sean

Mike Charlton, Lofty and myself were at the Colne do as well Sean about 94 wasnt it ? he was on with Earl King and Irma Thomas an intimate little village type hall and he was superb. last saw him at the Van Morrison concert he was ok but the big arena didnt suit him.

Just about the most legendary voiced singers still alive.

Excellant program as well big thanks to Kev Cane for texting me to inform me it was on!

Social source share

Mike Charlton, Lofty and myself were at the Colne do as well Sean about 94 wasnt it ? he was on with Earl King and Irma Thomas an intimate little village type hall and he was superb.

Ah, yep that was it Adam.

Was there with Dave Godin, Alf Billingham, Kev Briscoe and Andy Evans etc.

A crackin' night and wasn't Irma INCREDIBLE!

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Sean

Name dropper :( ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Sean

Irma was incredible both in looks as well she was well fit innit.

Although when she did do that awful Tina Turner cover if you listend closely you could hear my mate Dave Hewitt shouting "shiiitteee ......do full time woman" at the top of his voice.

Edited by Adam G
Social source share

He started it!

When I " drop " your name into conversation my dear Sean , people sit up and take notice ........

Good programme , was it not ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Tony I'd had a drink last night and after re-reading what I'd written it does looks patronising. Didn't really mean it like that. I'd had a brilliant night and wanted to spread some love around. I was trying to say that Dropout Boogie at the Bulls Head, Moseley in Birmingham was a real celebration of great music and recommending that soulies come along to experience it. Perhaps I should have said "reinforce" instead. Sorry!

Social source share

Guest Adam G

PS: Where did you end up last night?

Was going to go to a do in york then ended up round Tomos just watching the tv ! must be getting old.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Brilliant and touching programme, think i've seen it before when they did Blues Britannia but definately worth a second look. Like Bobby said he never wanted to be pigeon-holed as blues, rock and roll, Jazz, whatever, he is Bobby Bland and what a voice! Unbelievable anyone would even watch this programme for a mention of northern soul, when there was so much more quality music made by him. An absolute genius, and best line was from BB King 'thank God he can't play guitar as well...' :lol:

Social source share

Mike Charlton, Lofty and myself were at the Colne do as well Sean about 94 wasnt it ? he was on with Earl King and Irma Thomas an intimate little village type hall and he was superb. last saw him at the Van Morrison concert he was ok but the big arena didnt suit him.

Just about the most legendary voiced singers still alive.

Excellant program as well big thanks to Kev Cane for texting me to inform me it was on!

Indeed it was - Colne Municpal Hall - 13 July 1994 to be precise

Play list -

'That's The Way Love Is'

'Ain't Nothing You Can Do'

'St James Infirmary'

'I'll Take Care of You'

'Further on Up The Road'

'I Pity The Fool'

'As Soon As The Weather Breaks'

? - unknown

'Ain't No Sunshine'

'Today I Started Loving You Again'

'Share Your Love With Me'

'Stormy Monday'

'Goin' Down Slow'

'You're Got To Hurt'

? - a track from 'Blues You Can Use'

and the Van Morrison show was Manchester 17 April 2000 at the at the Manchester Evening News Arena (MEN). I also went see him on the same tour at the London Albert Hall 22 April 2000 and it was so much better than the MEN. Bobby was so

much more relaxed - he really benefited from the more warm and intimate surroundings (Van did for that matter). He really excelled on the slownumbers including the classic 'Share Your Love With Me' and the later 'You've Got To Hurt Before You Heal'. another bonus was Candy Dulfer was Van's special guest.

Oh and I almost forgot Van also roped in Chris Farlowe both nights :lol:

The play list for both concerts -

1 'That's The Way Love Is'/'Ain't Nothing You Can Do' (AH/MEN)

2 'Further on Up The Road'/'I Pity The Fool' (AH/MEN)

3 'Ain't No Sunshine' (AH/MEN)

4 '?'/'Everyday I Have The Blues' (AH/MEN)

5 'Share Your Love With Me' (AH/MEN)

6 'Driftin'' blues'/'Reconsider'/'Stormy Monday' (a Blues medley -

with another track in there somewhere - I think!) (AH/MEN)

7 'You're Got To Hurt Before You Heal' (AH/MEN)

8 'I Wouldn't Treat A Dog' (MEN only)

9 Members Only (MEN only )

10 Get Your Money Where You Spend Your Time

with Van Morrison

1 Ain't that Loving You (AH/MEN)

2 ? I didn't know but neither did Bobby!!! (MEN only )

3 'Ain't Nothing You Can Do' (AH/MEN)

I'll get me anorak.....

Mike

Social source share

God! Really annoyed I missed it! But I had the most fantastic time at the Bulls Head in Moseley, Brum dancing to Bill Brewster at Dropout Boogie- disco/ house/ funk and balearic. Some of you northern heads oughta get along to nights like this - it will restore your faith in music.

sounds like everything Northern was meant to get us away from

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Guest mel brat

TONE

Spot on Mr. Rounce. It's amazing how some people EXPECT any artists' limited Northern Soul output to even register with the wider public - or who will only go out of their way to see artists who may have recorded the odd freak "Northern" side, then complain if they don't include it in their act! I suspect those few records are all they know (or like), which is a real shame.

As for the TV programme, it was the best thing I've seen for ages - certainly more informative than the Motown special. However, why is it usually the case that our R&B/Soul heroes can only get recognition on the shirt tails of established and "respected" rock and pop acts, and hardly ever on it's own merits? What does the average UK Soul fan have to DO to ever be fairly represented by the BBC and wider media?

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Inspirational stuff. Great that this living legend was profiled in this way. I thought the show was very well put together given all the normal constraints of access to archives etc. Tony's point about the 'northern' stuff is eloquently put and completely correct.

Social source share

been... :thumbsup:

Me

Social source share

Thanks Mrs Maine for putting me on to this :thumbsup:

I ve just come across the soul stirrers and they got an infleuncial mention thru Bobby Bland

I have a lot of simply red cds but still think their earlier work is more gritty "moneys too tight " days

I cant stand mick hucknall tho and I knew he'd get his nose in somewhere to due the release of tribute to bobby bland cd last year

dunno if anyone else noticed when Bobby was talking to MH he had no clue who he was :thumbup: he said something like "have you done some recording yourself?" laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Inspirational stuff. Great that this living legend was profiled in this way. I thought the show was very well put together given all the normal constraints of access to archives etc. Tony's point about the 'northern' stuff is eloquently put and completely correct.

I know that the producer, Paul Spencer, tried very hard to find some early 60s footage of Bobby, but he wasn't able to access "The Man"s handful of "American Bandstand" appearances (in which he mimes to the orginal records anyway) which seem to be the only existing early stuff on Bobby.

I have to say, having watched it again, there wasn't one aspect of the programme that I didn't like. Even 'Hucknall' was more than tolerable, and while I wouldn't rush out and buy his "Tribute To Bobby", the bits of it that were played did not appall me. And I must admit that I've played little else other than vintage Bobby ever since I watched it. Those late 50s/early 60s Duke records sure do take some beating...

They should show this to any and all future would be film-makers as a lesson in 'how to make a music documentary'!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert