Frank Wilson

• Replies 28
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

"A RARE seven-inch single has become the most expensive record ever"... thats not entirely true, click link below.

https://www.luxist.com/2008/02/05/the-world...first-recordin/

Still the most expensive actual manufactured record that can be verified without any shadow of a doubt. So a UK established record whichever you look at it. I was kinda surprised that it tailed off so quickly but I have some thoughts on that.......

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

And those thoughts are Ian?

KTF

Baz

Still the most expensive actual manufactured record that can be verified without any shadow of a doubt. So a UK established record whichever you look at it. I was kinda surprised that it tailed off so quickly but I have some thoughts on that.......

Social source share

And those thoughts are Ian?

KTF

Baz

They're still formulating Baza. What's weird was the sudden drop-off from just below £25K before the auction went private to less then a grand more when the auction closed. I was expecting a some feverish bidding in the 25-50K spectrum between at least a good handfull of bidders (if not 2 or 3 handfuls) but I have to admit that I was completely wrong.

Maybe £26K is the limit ay?

It's a pretty phenomenal price for a 7" record and a world record but I did think it would go for more. Some Premier League players earn more than that in a week LOL.....

Social source share

Guest marge

just reading 'the sun' and came across the sale of Frank Wilson, Do I love you, page 39

It didn't make the front page like it did in 1997

Edited by marge
Social source share

They're still formulating Baza. What's weird was the sudden drop-off from just below £25K before the auction went private to less then a grand more when the auction closed. I was expecting a some feverish bidding in the 25-50K spectrum between at least a good handfull of bidders (if not 2 or 3 handfuls) but I have to admit that I was completely wrong.

It's a pretty phenomenal price for a 7" record and a world record but I did think it would go for more. Some Premier League players earn more than that in a week LOL.....

Ian D :lol:

I think we have all got something wrong with us-I personally think 25-26K is "Cheap"-are we nuts or is it just a record collectors/ collectors thing?

I thought $50k would be the price (£36k ish) We collect Clarice Cliffe pottery and you should see the price of some of the rare stuff there--and YES they have been "Bootlegged" & Re-issued !!!

At the end of the day something is worth as much as you are prepared to pay for it-end of :thumbsup:

and

some people have got a lot more money than others so can indulge themselves in their hobby-Good luck to the winner-you have a Bargain IMO.

Rob

PS Anyone else think Russ is looking like Arthur Scargil nowadays ? :lol:

Social source share

Ian D :thumbup:

:lol::lol::lol:

Only (partially) kidding Ian.

However as the other thread (that should be merged with this) makes clear, there's no reason on earth why premier league footballers and other minted folk should want to spend their cash on this. If they want to make an investment it's a crap one. If they want kudos they will buy a flash car, Damien Hurst's jewel encrusted nadgers, a real live dog made entirely from Burberry or some other "look I've got money to burn" status symbol. It has to make sense outside of the Northern soul scene if you're gonna do a bit of willy waving. Generally speaking, the people who buy rare soul are just the ones who buy rare soul records. If you catch my drift.

Trouble is, once your ensconced in this scene it's easy to forget that all this life and death stuff means toss all to most of the ordinary folk out there. Or maybe it means page 105 of The Sun or something like that. Not much else though. No 'mystery millionaire' was ever gonna buy this.

Godz :thumbsup:

Social source share

:ohmy::lol::lol:

Only (partially) kidding Ian.

However as the other thread (that should be merged with this) makes clear, there's no reason on earth why premier league footballers and other minted folk should want to spend their cash on this. If they want to make an investment it's a crap one. If they want kudos they will buy a flash car, Damien Hurst's jewel encrusted nadgers, a real live dog made entirely from Burberry or some other "look I've got money to burn" status symbol. It has to make sense outside of the Northern soul scene if you're gonna do a bit of willy waving. Generally speaking, the people who buy rare soul are just the ones who buy rare soul records. If you catch my drift.

Trouble is, once your ensconced in this scene it's easy to forget that all this life and death stuff means toss all to most of the ordinary folk out there. Or maybe it means page 105 of The Sun or something like that. Not much else though. No 'mystery millionaire' was ever gonna buy this.

Godz :rolleyes:

Turns out your right Godz! It's all this living in London mate. Every time I step out the door I trip over a Z list celebrity LOL.......

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

but do we know who brought it, are we ever gonna find out. i think the ordinary folk reading it will think what a mad person it is to buy it.

Social source share

If a genuine warehouse find happened with say a thousand mint copies of this track that where verified as 100% kosher, what would happen to the value of our little Sun followed disk?

Would "ours" remain a slice of Northernsoul history and retain its value or would it be rendered valueless due to the thousand mint ones?

Does its 'story' and journey give it some value, I know the interest value would be there but what would be the impact on such a find?

Some thing is only ever worth as much as some one is willing to pay for it, the old glass of water in a desert?

Social source share

I think we have all got something wrong with us-I personally think 25-26K is "Cheap"-are we nuts or is it just a record collectors/ collectors thing?

I thought $50k would be the price (£36k ish) We collect Clarice Cliffe pottery and you should see the price of some of the rare stuff there--and YES they have been "Bootlegged" & Re-issued !!!

At the end of the day something is worth as much as you are prepared to pay for it-end of :thumbsup:

and

some people have got a lot more money than others so can indulge themselves in their hobby-Good luck to the winner-you have a Bargain IMO.

Rob

PS Anyone else think Russ is looking like Arthur Scargil nowadays ? :D

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

and

Rob

PS Anyone else think Russ is looking like Arthur Scargil nowadays ? :lol:

Now you come to mention it :lol: ..........

As for the FW saga , thank god it is all over ........... until the buyer ( he / she / them / it ) decides to sell it , and we will have to go through the " howmuchdoyouthinkitwillfetch? " business again :lol:

Malc Burton

just was wondering if the limited edition picture sleeve, motown demos of frank wilson would be up more in value now even the boots ? :D

Social source share

If we live by the OVO rules of the Northern Soul "jungle" & FW has left these shores - it should never be heard again at a venue in the UK. :D

If only that would happen please ............ Thank God !!!

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

If only that would happen please ............ Thank God !!!

:D The best reason for enforcing OVO yet.

Social source share

Just read the BBC article in which JM confirms the buyer wants to remain anonymous - why?

I'd be chuffed to have it & probably couldn't keep it to myself - well, not for long anyway.

Perhaps the 'secret' buyer feels a sense of vicarious shame due to the humungous number of negative comments, some quite vicious, that have erupted since the announcement of the records' sale.

The record is and will remain a part of the British Northern/Rare Soul scene forever; for record collectors of this genre the myths, truths, lies, shady deals, supposition (and whatever other epithets are appropriate) are, in my humble opinion, the very essence of what it's all about...........

"Here I am on bended knees....................."

Mick

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert