Soulful Samples

Guest Dante

Guest Dante

Hi there,

A lot for spare time over here, the classes have ben cancelled due to the influenza edpidemic, so I decided to share some of this and ask for more:

I've been currently hearing some hip hop stuff, and got me thinking about the soulful samples. Of course the best known is The Rockafeller Skank, but there's more (quality, IMO) stuff around:

Kanye West - Touch The Sky (feat. Lupe Fiasco) with Move On Up By Curtis. Great track!

Kanye West - Gold Digger (feat. Jamie Foxx) sampling I've Got A Woman by Ray Charles...

He also samples Home Is Were The Hatred Is by Gill-Scott Heron, but it's not as good as this couple. They're all from his Late Registration album...

I've hard theres alot of tracks featuring The Mohawk's Champ, but I don't know any of them. Anyone?

Cheers,

Dante

Edited by Dante
Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Delfhonics - ready or not -Fugees

Chi-Lites - we are neigbours - Groove Armada

Teddy Pendergrass- You cant hide from yourself - Ilicit Gramma Funk

Gwen Mcrea -All this love that Im giving - Cassius

Bill withers - I cant write left handed -Fatboy slim

SOUL -Burning Spear-ETA

there must be millions my kids play me music and I play guess the sample

Social source share

Guest Dante

Off the top of my head... indie pop band Spearmint's single "Sweeping The Nation" samples "Out On The Floor" by Dobie Gray to pretty good effect...

Delfhonics - ready or not -Fugees

Chi-Lites - we are neigbours - Groove Armada

Teddy Pendergrass- You cant hide from yourself - Ilicit Gramma Funk

Gwen Mcrea -All this love that Im giving - Cassius

Bill withers - I cant write left handed -Fatboy slim

SOUL -Burning Spear-ETA

there must be millions my kids play me music and I play guess the sample

Thanks guys! I'll have a listen to them.

Groove Armada has some great tracks, but I haven't heard that particular one...

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Hi there,

Kanye West - Gold Digger (feat. Jamie Foxx) sampling I've Got A Woman by Ray Charles...

is this a sample ? i thought the vocal in this was done by jamie foxx so it's not actually sampling the ray charles track

Social source share

Guest Dante

is this a sample ? i thought the vocal in this was done by jamie foxx so it's not actually sampling the ray charles track

Yeap, the vocals are done by Foxx, but if you listen carefully, it has some small rythm samples...

Edited by Dante
Social source share

We had a bit of fun with a similar thread back in October called 'Any sampled tunes where the result was better than the original' or something like that. If you search for Lola's Theme, which was one of the tunes mentioned at the start, you should find it. There were some great ones in there. Armand van Helden's You Don't Know Me, and Stardust's Music Sounds Better With You for starters.

Don't let the pig flu get you down man.

T x

Social source share

Guest Dante

We had a bit of fun with a similar thread back in October called 'Any sampled tunes where the result was better than the original' or something like that. If you search for Lola's Theme, which was one of the tunes mentioned at the start, you should find it. There were some great ones in there. Armand van Helden's You Don't Know Me, and Stardust's Music Sounds Better With You for starters.

Don't let the pig flu get you down man.

T x

Thanks, I'll have a look.

It's not getting me down, just too bloody bored :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert