The Delfonics

The Delfonics

I Told You So

The Delfonics-I Told You So I have never heard this track before today so I'm not too sure if this has ever been played on the Northernsoul scene?

I think it reeks of northern with a slant towards the seventies but I would love to dance to this at a nighter, will any one play it? Would any one else dance to it?

While we are on The Delfonics, has any one ever come across a version of The Delfonics doing "Gimme some lovin" ?

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

HI SIMON WHAT A GREAT RECORD I PLAYED IT AT THE LAST

HORSE @ GROOM SUNDAY CHILL OUT DONCASTER

1st Fri of each month

Northern / Sixties Soul & Motown / 100 % Vinyl

At the Trades Club "Racecommon Road,

Barnsley,S70 6AA

:lol: Bar Open til midnite :D

Large Dance Floor / £2 Admission / Cheap Drinks

Resdient DJ's

Derek Greenhoff /Tom Wheelhouse /Deano

May's Guest

Joe Lakin

Will you play it for me here?

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

Played this recently at Blackpool Football Club 'Calling out around the World' event. Its also on the excellent double cd The Original Soul Selection. I played the vinyl honest :lol:

Social source share

It was cetainly an Orwell/Steve Plumb play/tip. Came out on UK too.

Mike

Hi Mike

We certainly helped to give it a kick start a few years ago by playing it at The Orwell as a resurrected spin. I think it may have been Dave Ripolles who originally dug it out at one of the all dayers? It has of course been known about for many many years but has only recently come shining through as a killer 70's/Northern dancer! There's still tons of nice priced semi-known 70's items still lurking in boxes waiting for their time in the sun!

Talking of the Delfonics, two others by them also worthy of spinning again - that unreleased thing that was reissued on UK Philly Groove called 'You can't get enough' PLUS their LP only version of 'Hurt so bad' which is utterly brilliant imho!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

I remember Robbie Vincent playing it on release on his radio 1 Saturday soul soul with the into "I know a lot of you people are going to love this one".

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:rolleyes:

Honestly thought everybody in the world knew it! :thumbup:

biggrin.gif

Sean

Me too to be honest... "I Told You So" has been a well known record since it's initial release - in fact it marked something of a "comeback" for the group - also this was long before Robbie Vincent's first (national) Soul show (in 1977). Perhaps Robbie played it from a compilation album or reissue. It's a nice enough tune, but I find the arrangement a bit clumsy. Gotta love the Delfonics though.

Another quite uptempo tune for your consideration is "You Can't Be Loving Him". I bought a second hand copy of this on Bell when I was about 16 and played it constantly until I almost wore it out, so it always brings back fond memories for me personally.

"Well known" (to some) or not, I certainly wouldn't object to hearing so-called "commercial" records like these being played out more... and not just those with a obvious "Northern friendly" beat either! Let the DJs surprise and delight us by dropping some classic Soul tunes like the Dramatics "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get" occasionally I say! :lol:tongue.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Me too to be honest... "I Told You So" has been a well known record since it's initial release - in fact it marked something of a "comeback" for the group - also this was long before Robbie Vincent's first (national) Soul show (in 1977). Perhaps Robbie played it from a compilation album or reissue. It's a nice enough tune, but I find the arrangement a bit clumsy. Gotta love the Delfonics though.

Robbies first national show was deffo 1974, it clashed with the Dr Who and the footie results 5.00-6.00pm.

I can remember him playing "Rock Your Baby" as a new release too.

Social source share

Guest tomaokeh

Robbies first national show was deffo 1974, it clashed with the Dr Who and the footie results 5.00-6.00pm.

I can remember him playing "Rock Your Baby" as a new release too.

Great little 70s track picked mine up for £5 still sounds gooddddd

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert