2nd Rarest 45?

A question on the message board for Mary Fox's show asks what is the 2nd rarest northern 45, and also what's the 2nd rarest "popular" northern? I'm sure they have Frank Wilson as the number one, given all its recent high profile. Any thoughts as to what might be 2nd?

Cheers

Nick

Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

A question on the message board for Mary Fox's show asks what is the 2nd rarest northern 45, and also what's the 2nd rarest "popular" northern? I'm sure they have Frank Wilson as the number one, given all its recent high profile. Any thoughts as to what might be 2nd?

Cheers

Nick

maybe she should get a better researcher. As Ken said plenty of records rarer than FW.

Social source share

Guest SteveC

the one Rod sold Tim brown (She's Fire ) i think was the only copy which came from the label owner, But Rod knows more as it was his.

Mark

Certainly known as the only copy and what a marvelous choon however looking at the disc's label it does seem "rough" in the unprofessionally manufactured sense to say the least.

Social source share

Certainly known as the only copy and what a marvelous choon however looking at the disc's label it does seem "rough" in the unprofessionally manufactured sense to say the least.

If Rod reads this he will be better placed but i think it was the label owners only made up copy that he was hawking around to other companies (i may be wrong ) that is the story i remember.

mark

Social source share

If Rod reads this he will be better placed but i think it was the label owners only made up copy that he was hawking around to other companies (i may be wrong ) that is the story i remember.

mark

Who has this now? Still Tim Brown or has it moved on?

The label looks like the other Kellmac recordings, basic but not necessarily "mocked up" if you know what I mean.

Social source share

I wouldn't have said so Steve. It looked "finished" to me and same as Combinations rarity on same label.

No idea on where it came from other than from John A originally to Richard to me. I'd guess either from the guys at Mar-v-lus. The warehouse [studio inside?] was still open in '79 when I went and full of 45s [39 copies of Inspirations - those were the days!!] or that he got them from Lucky Cordell as I think John told me once they came out of a famous DJ's collection and Lucky did sell now and again.

ROD

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Who has this now? Still Tim Brown or has it moved on?

The label looks like the other Kellmac recordings, basic but not necessarily "mocked up" if you know what I mean.

Rods copy is with Carl Fortnum!

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Don't wish to hijack the thread but shouldn't the more relevant question be 'What's the 2nd most expensive record'?

Warren thats what i thought the thread was about.........the 2nd Rarest record

I would go for "The Inticers"

Social source share

Don't wish to hijack the thread but shouldn't the more relevant question be 'What's the 2nd most expensive record'?

So what would it be? Mello Souls? Sold for 10k didn't it.

There isn't an answer to the question about rarity as there must be lots of one offs which by definition must be as equally rare as each other.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Tim brown played it at the Hip City last saturday...saying only copy. No doubt to not belive him. My, what a storming 45 to dance to. Needed a break after it LOL!

Marc

Sorry Marc senior moment..........meant Combinations!

Social source share

I wouldn't have said so Steve. It looked "finished" to me and same as Combinations rarity on same label.

No idea on where it came from other than from John A originally to Richard to me. I'd guess either from the guys at Mar-v-lus. The warehouse [studio inside?] was still open in '79 when I went and full of 45s [39 copies of Inspirations - those were the days!!] or that he got them from Lucky Cordell as I think John told me once they came out of a famous DJ's collection and Lucky did sell now and again.

ROD

Rod

Went to Lucky Cordell's with Adey Pierce in the early 90's and pulled quite a few reasonable pieces from his basement, but you could see by what was left that there were lots of obvious 45's that had been picked.

John Anderson confirmed with Adey when we got back that he had beeen there many years before that and pulled some absolute top drawer rarities from Lucky's collection including the Magnetics etc, so would not be surprised if they came from this source.

Mark

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

How about a list of all the suspected one offs? Bearing in mind it's only a one off until someone else tells you they have a copy. Might be interesting for people to mention one and then someone say 'i have one' someone mention another and so on....

Anyone?

Social source share

Rod

Went to Lucky Cordell's with Adey Pierce in the early 90's and pulled quite a few reasonable pieces from his basement, but you could see by what was left that there were lots of obvious 45's that had been picked.

John Anderson confirmed with Adey when we got back that he had beeen there many years before that and pulled some absolute top drawer rarities from Lucky's collection including the Magnetics etc, so would not be surprised if they came from this source.

Mark

once when I was at Lucky's house John Anderson actually called Lucky while I was there

Social source share

• 4 months later...

[

Keb used to play the Combinations too, was that a plate as well?

PS Keb used to leave his play box round ours when we used to live up the hill from him, probably to stop wife #1 from selling off a couple to pay the Visa bill. We'd had a party one night & somehow during the cleanup we managed to break his newly acquired copy of the Mark IV on Brite Lite clean in half. Didn't faze him one bit, just "thats eighty five f****n quid ye owe me ye c**t". Star player...

Social source share

If we're looking at rarity and not price, how people seem to mix the two quite distinct concepts is beyond me, then it's got to be something where there is only ONE known copy, so all your Don Gardners/Eddie Parkers/Salvadors should be forgotten, as should arseytates/test pressings et al. Contenders so far

- C.O.D.'s

- Combinations

- Jnr Mcants (are there 2?)

- Contessa

- King Moses (are there 2?)

- Inspirations (surely there's more than 1)

Surely if theres confirmed 2 copies, then the disc is out of the running for this accolade, well that's how I percieve it?

Des Parker

Social source share

[

Keb used to play the Combinations too, was that a plate as well?

PS Keb used to leave his play box round ours when we used to live up the hill from him, probably to stop wife #1 from selling off a couple to pay the Visa bill. We'd had a party one night & somehow during the cleanup we managed to break his newly acquired copy of the Mark IV on Brite Lite clean in half. Didn't faze him one bit, just "thats eighty five f****n quid ye owe me ye c**t". Star player...

Also a dub - slighlty speeded up as well I think, Tony?

Social source share

If we're looking at rarity and not price, how people seem to mix the two quite distinct concepts is beyond me, then it's got to be something where there is only ONE known copy, so all your Don Gardners/Eddie Parkers/Salvadors should be forgotten, as should arseytates/test pressings et al. Contenders so far

- C.O.D.'s

- Combinations

- Contessa

Surely if theres confirmed 2 copies, then the disc is out of the running for this accolade, well that's how I percieve it?

Des Parker

Definitely 2 Junior McCants, one sold on ebay a few months back

Social source share

- C.O.D.'s

- Combinations

- Contessa

Des Parker

Des, normally I agree with almost everthing you say, but why would you say we should discount acetates and test pressings, surely some fabulous recordings only exist in that format. How many genuine acetates exist of " Suspicion" for instance? Gladys Knight's " Too Late For Love"?

Most collectors can spot a dodgy faked up acetate or test press these days, so why exclude the real deal ones from this?

What do you reckon a genuine "Suspicion" would fetch in a JM auction?

Social source share

Des, normally I agree with almost everthing you say, but why would you say we should discount acetates and test pressings, surely some fabulous recordings only exist in that format. How many genuine acetates exist of " Suspicion" for instance? Gladys Knight's " Too Late For Love"?

Most collectors can spot a dodgy faked up acetate or test press these days, so why exclude the real deal ones from this?

What do you reckon a genuine "Suspicion" would fetch in a JM auction?

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

I totallly agree with what you're saying about Acetates, John, and I've a penchant for them, myself!! I've probably "dissed them" in a rather clumsy way, as I'm not disputing their rarity, but we could end up with a list of almost every title in the Manship book on it's "rare" Acetate form. Maybe include them, if they're unissued cuts?

Des

Social source share

The Inspirations on the single sided promo, Breakthrough records 'No one else can take your place'.

Who knows

Jimthumbsup.gif

I think there are 3/4 knocking around my old one went to Tim Brown who passed it on to Ginger. Mick Smith has one that was Searlings at one time, am i right in thinking good old Ted Massey also owns a copy. regards Gilly and Nicola,

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert