Fontella Bass Uk Chess Question

The Record Collector price guide lists a 1969 reissue of "Rescue me", on the same number as the 1965 release. If it exists, this would probably have the silver writing.

Cheers

Nick

Can't say I've ever seen one - but might be having a senior moment, Nick.

Chess was on catalogue for years under PYE, even when Phonogram took over UK distribution they all went shades of Blue and Blue Plastic, but pretty sure there was no Black & Silver copy.

Social source share

Can't say I've ever seen one - but might be having a senior moment, Nick.

Chess was on catalogue for years under PYE, even when Phonogram took over UK distribution they all went shades of Blue and Blue Plastic, but pretty sure there was no Black & Silver copy.

Hello

I seem to recall there were some 1980s reissues from PRT (probably licensed via All Platinum) and some of them were on black Chess with silver text. And I'm almost certain one was also a 10" EP with Ramsey Lewis etc.

Does anyone remember?

Social source share

But it's the A side on the yellow demo isn't it?

mmmm sure you're right Pete, but the Yellow Demo is the one with "I Can't Rest" on the flip (8090).

Still sure I've never seen the Rescue Me / Soul Of The Man (8023) in Black & Silver...

...but am warming to the idea of 8090 being in Black & Silver as you suggest, even though I can't recall seeing one. :thumbup:

Social source share

Some nob paid £102 for this yellow demo.

I think I paid about £8 for the white demo!

Anyway this should mean that there is definitely a silver lettering Rescue me.

360117123075.jpg

That's the one with "I Can't Rest" on the flip (8090) Pete.

Pretty sure I've not seen the issue - and certain there's no Rescue Me / Soul Of Man 8023 in silver.

Social source share

chess did a series of reissues in 1969 on black and silver and rescue me/ i cant rest was one of them. catalogue numbers started at CRS 8090 I think. definately exists coz i used to have it. its the only time ive owned i cant rest. other issues were ramsey lewis wade in the water/ hard days night. tony clarke entertainer/ aint love good. there were other but i cant remember off hand and ive no books here

dave

Social source share

chess did a series of reissues in 1969 on black and silver and rescue me/ i cant rest was one of them. catalogue numbers started at CRS 8090 I think. definately exists coz i used to have it.

dave

Yes it does, Dave.

I've found a copy of CRS 8090 (the Silver & Black reissue - pictured)...

So to answer Eddies question on 'Rescue Me' it does exist as a Black & Silver 45... but strictly speaking its not the same record done in silver - as its actually a reissue, done 4 years later, under a different number and with a different flip.

Now - how about 'Recovery'?

:thumbup:

Sean

post-4120-1240822991_thumb.jpg

Social source share

chess did a series of reissues in 1969 on black and silver and rescue me/ i cant rest was one of them. catalogue numbers started at CRS 8090 I think. definately exists coz i used to have it. its the only time ive owned i cant rest. other issues were ramsey lewis wade in the water/ hard days night. tony clarke entertainer/ aint love good. there were other but i cant remember off hand and ive no books here

dave

Here is the silver writing one.with I Can't Rest as flip

Daryl

www.hullsoulclub.org.uk

post-5844-1240823084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Daryl
Social source share

Thanks everyone , they were both only 30p each , in original sleeves and practically mint as well , great eh ? Many thanks ,Eddie[ ps Isn't both "recovery "and "leave it in the hands of love" great ? ]

Didn't you knock them down to TEN BOB for the pair Eddie :lol: , If you didn't you're loosing your touch !

Rob

Social source share

first issues on UK CHESS up to release # 8041 all have GOLD text. After that # the text is silver up to # 8107.

interestingly # 8041 comes with both Gold text and silver text .. as far as i know there is no reissue of # 8023 with silver text..if there is I've never seen it.

Record Collector listing of the silver text reissue i suspect is an error...

Social source share

• 5 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!