• Replies 22
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Nik Mak

Always thought it was legit.

You might be right T but I was talking to Pat Brady about my copy on Carrie and I'm sure he mentioned 'Jameco' was a legit re-issue done in the 70's. But as I'm usually wrong I'll wait and see if anyone confirms this. lol. :thumbsup:

Social source share

This is one of my all-time fave Northern soul tracks a great dancer with a fantastic intro.I own a Mary Jane copy and a Green label Carrie.This is my understanding of the releases,could be wrong but its what i have been told by several good sources

Orange label Carrie is its first release

Then came the Mary Jane release without Call Me on the flip

Then came the Jamico release

Then in the mid 70s Carrie re-released both sides on the Green label

The Carrie and Jamico tracks are from the same session and probably backed by the Fifes

The Mary jane is a different take and suggests a different session with backing this time by the Arabians

There is also of course the Uk Grapevine release with Baby Don't you weep

Social source share

This is one of my all-time fave Northern soul tracks a great dancer with a fantastic intro.I own a Mary Jane copy and a Green label Carrie.This is my understanding of the releases,could be wrong but its what i have been told by several good sources

The Carrie and Jamico tracks are from the same session and probably backed by the Fifes

The Mary jane is a different take and suggests a different session with backing this time by the Arabians

I was always lead to believe that the Mary Jane, Carrie and Jameco records of "Im Gonna Love You" are all different takes, and all genuine 60's releases, I have it on Jameco, and would be interested in hearing a clip ov the Mary Jane and Carrie cuts? Also, is the Jameco and Carrie sides of "Call Me" (for me the best side!) different takes? anyone know?

steve

Social source share

Guest tripsy

I've always understood the Jameco 45 to be a genuine 60s isue along with the Carrie and Mary Jane 45s?

Anyone got some definitive info?

The Jameco is authentic. Label out of Queens, New York

They picked up the Detroit master for distribution in '67

Social source share

When Ian Levine was originally tipping it didn't he give it's label as Jameco? I have had all of them (including the green Carrie issue) and there was nothing about the Jameco copy that made me think it wasn't a genuine late (?) 60's release.

Isn't the label design and manufacture similar to the Black Hawk issue of Roy 'C' - "Shotgun wedding"?

Best,

RB

Social source share

Isn't the label design and manufacture similar to the Black Hawk issue of Roy 'C' - "Shotgun wedding"?

Best,

RB

Yeah it is Black Hawk is Jameco too! it's that Flying Hawk "taking off" logo. and the vinyl is from the same pressing plant too, matrix on "Shotgun Wedding" is H-110. and on Edward Hamilton is H-119. When did "Shotgun Wedding" get released on Black Hawk?

steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yeah it is Black Hawk is Jameco too! it's that Flying Hawk "taking off" logo. and the vinyl is from the same pressing plant too, matrix on "Shotgun Wedding" is H-110. and on Edward Hamilton is H-119. When did "Shotgun Wedding" get released on Black Hawk?

steve

...1966. It was originally issued on Hammond during 1965, without the added 'shooting' sound effects and with the artist credit of Roy hammond and the Souls....

Social source share

Edit: Forget that. My eyes are going :lol:

Edited by Blunny
Social source share

also a 2nd legit release on a green label (light green)

i always understood the three labels to be all different takes from each other (Carrie, Mary Jane, Jamico) :lol:

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

I was always lead to believe that the Mary Jane, Carrie and Jameco records of "Im Gonna Love You" are all different takes, and all genuine 60's releases, I have it on Jameco, and would be interested in hearing a clip ov the Mary Jane and Carrie cuts? Also, is the Jameco and Carrie sides of "Call Me" (for me the best side!) different takes? anyone know?

steve

that was my understanding as well Steve. Can anyone supply definite info on this one please :yes:

Social source share

Guest carl_p

Also, is the Jameco and Carrie sides of "Call Me" (for me the best side!) different takes? anyone know?

steve

i have all three and they all sound like the same take to me.

Social source share

I'm Gonna Love You

Mary Jane

Jameco

Carrie

sounds like 3 different takes to me :lol:

are they all genuine 60's releases :D

Edited by mikecook
Social source share

Guest carl_p

re: I'm Gonna Love You.......

I like the mary jane take the best. the drums are a little more subtle. i would also think the fifes are the arabians.

The orange carrie and the jameco have the same times 2:25. The Mary Jane is 2:45. The green Carrie is 2:35.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert