London Soul Events

Guest SteveA

Guest Andy Kempster

I agree with Mikey that the R&B played at the Dome last year didn't help the crowd and in general is much better for smaller clubs like Shake than gaffs with big dancefloors.

I also think that the standard of DJing now isn't great. People like Greg and Shifty are missed and though I enjoyed myself at the Dome on Friday I don't think many of the DJs pleased the crowd that was there. Far too much playing a record because they'd planned to play it beforehand and not enough sizing up the crowd and giving them what they want.

Lots of collectors don't make great DJs, which is fine at small scale dos where people are doing it for the love of it. Bigger dos are tough.

I find it tough to play new stuff in London nowadays, there's a definite need for a good mix of oldies, rarities and the odd collector's or personal favourite but ONLY once you've got the crowd on your side.

link

hi Ady

i know what you mean about planned sets. graham and i had a pretty structured set all worked but had to scrap it completely in order to get the dancefloor moving, and i have to admit, it was much more fun playing that way than just sticking to a plan. it was so much more satisfying seeing people heading for the dance floor and having to think on your feet to get another tune on to keep them there. i am glad you had a good time and hope you will spread the word.

Andy

Social source share

• Replies 157
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest waynec

you are probably not far off the mark, yes there was a lot more r&b at the first night but i think you would find that has changed, it is very difficult on a first night to predict the mood of the crowd, what they want to hear etc. the fact is the the amount of r&b has certainly diminshed and is being replaced with absolute top quality soul. perhaps you should get down the the next one on friday july 29th and sample some of the delights for yourself. the more the merrier, ady has put a lot of time and effort into making the dome a good night and all i can see that is holding it back at the oment is numbers, hope to see you at the next one Col and have a nice weekend

all the best

Andy

link

i told colin about the first nite being rather un soulful. :huh:

good to hear that the music policy has changed and shall return for the next one.

one problem with the dome is that it was such a good nite a few years back,maybe anything less these days cant compare.another reason others dont attend is a lot think the place is a shithole.

personal i recon it would have been a better sucess if it had started up at a new venue instead of taking over one that had seen better days.

maybe soul do,s everywhere have a shelf life and the dome is passed its sell by date.

reading that the alniter the other week was great.

any reason why you clashed it with the marble arch do.

supercorsa.ian no one forces you to drink alcahol.you can drive and still have a good nite.

apathy does play a part but sometimes its just the hassle of getting there.

being on the posh side of town its a nitemare driving over to the trailer park side :lol: .

its quicker to drive to the midlands

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i told colin about the first nite being rather un soulful. :huh:

you bad man!

i guess we can let you off this time.

as for the marble arch clash, don't really know but will look into it and hopefully not clash again

Andy

Social source share

Guest Pete Bennett

I agree with Mikey that the R&B played at the Dome last year didn't help the crowd and in general is much better for smaller clubs like Shake than gaffs with big dancefloors.

I also think that the standard of DJing now isn't great. People like Greg and Shifty are missed and though I enjoyed myself at the Dome on Friday I don't think many of the DJs pleased the crowd that was there. Far too much playing a record because they'd planned to play it beforehand and not enough sizing up the crowd and giving them what they want.

Lots of collectors don't make great DJs, which is fine at small scale dos where people are doing it for the love of it. Bigger dos are tough.

I find it tough to play new stuff in London nowadays, there's a definite need for a good mix of oldies, rarities and the odd collector's or personal favourite but ONLY once you've got the crowd on your side.

link

Nice one Ady, I guess, as the actress said to the bishop, it explains why you have been able to keep things going for so long.

Having said that I thought the music was pretty good at the Dome last Friday and I was one of the people who stopped going because of the old music policy. it was a shame because the numbers weren't there to give it atmosphere last week. Anyone thinking it was too much R & B it wasn't and with more people next time should be brilliant.

Also SITC is excellent a few more people would make it better, but it wouldn't need many more. I think I'm right in saying the club was first started in order to provide a venue in the City which opened early in order to save anyone going home and having to come back into town. This 7pm start still works for me, can we make more of this?

Just as a matter of interest, having seen that there is all too often a clash of venues on the same night, I am looking for somewhere to go in London on the June 10th and guess what I can't find anywhere. Anyone help?

Social source share

Guest waynec

Do you mean the clash between Johnny Gamel's birthday party & the NCS do? (There was also Yann & Mile's Soul Devotion do on the same night, so a three way split). Johnny did make the 8 - 1.30 period R&B so that there wouldn't be a split.

link

yes.

didnt realise about the other one as well.

now if promoters know that there aint a lot of punters left in london and few these days that will travel in why do they still insist on clashing.

all that i can see happening is youre end up turning more people away.

i have to admit to getting fed up going to half empty do,s and have to think if i wanna return.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Nice one Ady, I guess, as the actress said to the bishop, it explains why you have been able to keep things going for so long.

Having said that I thought the music was pretty good at the Dome last Friday and I was one of the people who stopped going because of the old music policy. it was a shame because the numbers weren't there to give it atmosphere last week.  Anyone thinking it was too much R & B it wasn't and with more people next time should be brilliant.

Also SITC is excellent a few more people would make it better, but it wouldn't need many more.  I think I'm right in saying the club was first started in order to provide a venue in the City which opened early in order to save anyone going home and having to come back into town.  This 7pm start still works for me, can we make more of this?

Just as a matter of interest, having seen that there is all too often a clash of venues on the same night, I am looking for somewhere to go in London on the June 10th  and guess what I can't find anywhere.  Anyone help?

link

Pete,

I imagine all the promoters in London realised it was Cleethorpes weekend and the majority of Northern Soul London, would be having that weekend away. (And most of next week off :huh: )

Warren might have his Boogaloo Motown Night, in Greenwich, which is always a good night. He can be pm'd on Soul Source.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

If rockabilly is played then it deserves to be shunned. There was a lot of r'n'b played at the Dome before changeing promoters, but coz the numbers were good punters just swollowed it. I personally felt that the r'n'b spots that were played at the "old" Dome pissed alot of people off! When numbers are down people tend to focus more on what's being played and voice there opinions. But like you say if people are telling you it's crap than I don't blame you for not going and I'm sure people will soon start telling you that it's worth a visit!

Regards, John

link

hi Mikey

the problem is we fell foul of exactly what you have just said, we listened to too many people saying that london nights required R&B! having attended the dome before and heard a lot of R&B we went along with this and tried to cater for existing likes .

Andy

link

Capitol Soul Club DJs (resident and guests) included the following:

Irish Greg,Carl Fortnum,Alan H,Dave Frynn,Mick H,Kenny Burrell,Andy

Dyson,Ian Cunliffe,Ady Croasdell,Mick Smith,Pete Hulatt,keb Darge,Andy

Rix,Dave holt,Robbo,Paul Baldwin, Arthur Fenn,Tony Smith etc

etc

Hardly a line up of renowned RnB DJs. I think some people hear three RnB records in an hour and decide that all they heard all night was RnB.

Social source share

yes.

didnt realise about the other one as well.

now if promoters know that there aint a lot of punters left in london and few these days that will travel in why do they still insist on clashing.

all that i can see happening is youre end up turning more people away.

i have to admit to getting fed up going to half empty do,s and have to think if i wanna return.

link

I agree entirely what you are saying, although I personally didn't find out about the other 2 until I'd already posted about Johnny's free niter on here and Soul Talk.

Social source share

Having said that I thought the music was pretty good at the Dome last Friday and I was one of the people who stopped going because of the old music policy. it was a shame because the numbers weren't there to give it atmosphere last week.  Anyone thinking it was too much R & B it wasn't and with more people next time should be brilliant.

Also SITC is excellent a few more people would make it better, but it wouldn't need many more.  I think I'm right in saying the club was first started in order to provide a venue in the City which opened early in order to save anyone going home and having to come back into town.  This 7pm start still works for me, can we make more of this?

Just as a matter of interest, having seen that there is all too often a clash of venues on the same night, I am looking for somewhere to go in London on the June 10th  and guess what I can't find anywhere.  Anyone help?

link

To be honest Pete SITC was originally going to be a one off  “party” for those of

us who used to meet straight after work for a few beers & a chat, however our plans very quickly gained momentum & we decided to try & make it a regular

event. 3 & a half years down the line we are still going & yes we still retain  that “why go home” ethic when there is great music to listen to & beers to be drunk.Also we actually open at 6.30, we only start charging at 7pm

10th June, can’t help you there mate, try the 18th  & I can help you out 

cheers mate

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Capitol Soul Club DJs (resident and guests) included the following:

Irish Greg,Carl Fortnum,Alan H,Dave Frynn,Mick H,Kenny Burrell,Andy

Dyson,Ian Cunliffe,Ady Croasdell,Mick Smith,Pete Hulatt,keb Darge,Andy

Rix,Dave holt,Robbo,Paul Baldwin, Arthur Fenn,Tony Smith etc

etc

Hardly a line up of renowned RnB DJs.  I think some people hear three RnB records in an hour and decide that all they heard all night was RnB.

link

this was exactlly the point i was trying to make, we mistakenly thought that R&B was a requirement, when obviously it isn't, hopefully this is evident in the music policy of the dome as it stands now

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

this was exactlly the point i was trying to make, we mistakenly thought that R&B was a requirement, when obviously it isn't, hopefully this is evident in the music policy of the dome as it stands now

link

Yep, I was backing you up!

Someone mentioned that a set I played recently was RnB heavy - I played 4 RnB tracks in an hour. 15% RnB. None of it rockabilly/rock and roll (well, maybe the Leo Price one is a bit). People danced. They didn't to The Appreciations. You can't blimmin' win sometimes! :angry:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Someone mentioned that a set I played recently was RnB heavy - I played 4 RnB tracks in an hour.  15% RnB.  None of it rockabilly/rock and roll (well, maybe the Leo Price one is a bit).  People danced.  They didn't to The Appreciations.  You can't blimmin' win sometimes! :angry:

link

the thing is i don't mind a bit of R&B, admittedly i do like it to be uptempo and a damn good dancer but then again thats how i like my soul. :huh:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

the thing is i don't mind  a bit of R&B, admittedly i do like it to be uptempo and a damn good dancer but then again thats how i like my soul. :huh:

link

Ditto, but not too much when out and some of it is completely irrelevant to the NS scene. At the same time I've even got 78s at home of stuff like Crazy For My Baby and Good Rockin' Tonight and love fifties stuff. But I don't reckon its right for a northern/rare soul night. Unless Chalky and Winston are both there. :lol::huh:

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Someone mentioned that a set I played recently was RnB heavy - I played 4 RnB tracks in an hour.  15% RnB.  None of it rockabilly/rock and roll (well, maybe the Leo Price one is a bit).  People danced.  They didn't to The Appreciations.  You can't blimmin' win sometimes! :angry:

link

Hello Alan H here being the co founder of the capitol soul club with irish greg,when djing played the tunes i like to hear myself when i go out.

My fav djs in the 80s guy,keb,ian clark who was GOD,Mark bicknell,butch.

I come from the mod scene and love rnb not rockabilly,but big city soul is my passion if anyone out there ever bothered to look at the playlists at the capitol soul club it would be stafford heavy type tunes no john lee hooker,howling wolf etc

We ran the capitol soul club only six times a year and always had fantastic guest djs and lesser known warm ups, i never heard an rnb top heavy set,carl and greg djed at every night with fantastic tunes and the guests bought there own styles along.

Myself and Greg put all our time and energy into that club and i miss it dearly as i know does everyone who went or who were involved.

Im replying cos gettin a bit pissed off with the few people knocking it all the time for rnb or whatever it was you heard.

Anyways maybe thats the reason its all dying a boring death as who wants to be involved in a scene where everyones moaning all the bloody time

Just get out there meet ya mates and GET DANCIN

Al H :huh:

Social source share

link

Well I didn't have much luck on Wednesday night either :huh:

One bloke danced a bit and there was occasional clapping from around the corner, but not much else. Quite glad to get off by the end of the set to be honest. :lol:

And no there wasn't too much R'n'B :huh: either

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Well I didn't have much luck on Wednesday night either :huh:

One bloke danced a bit and there was occasional clapping from around the corner, but not much else. Quite glad to get off by the end of the set to be honest. :lol:

And no there wasn't too much R'n'B :huh: either

link

Andy, was a great set. Packed floor on a Wednesday night in the City? Unlikely. I was tapping my foot on several occasions whilst making sure that the bar didn't fall over. You know it makes sense to ensure that such mishaps don't occur or else everyone's evening would be ruined.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Myself and Greg put all our time and energy into that club and i miss it dearly as i know does everyone who went or who were involved.

Im replying cos gettin a bit pissed off with the few people knocking it all the time for rnb or whatever it was you heard.

Anyways maybe thats the reason its all dying a boring death as who wants to be involved in a scene where everyones moaning all the bloody time

link

You did a fantastic job mate, CSC at The Dome will be fondly remembered for many years. Can't please all the people all the time.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Hello Alan H here being the co founder of the capitol soul club with irish greg,when djing played the tunes i like to hear myself when i go out.

My fav djs in the 80s guy,keb,ian clark who was GOD,Mark bicknell,butch.

I come from the mod scene and love rnb not rockabilly,but big city soul is my passion if anyone out there ever bothered to look at the playlists at the capitol soul club it would be stafford heavy type tunes no john lee hooker,howling wolf etc

We ran the capitol soul club only six times a year and always had fantastic guest djs and lesser known warm ups, i never heard an rnb top heavy set,carl and greg djed at every night with fantastic tunes and the guests bought there own styles along.

link

just out of interest Alan, have you been to one of our nights there?

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

You did a fantastic job mate, CSC at The Dome will be fondly remembered for many years.  Can't please all the people all the time.

link

Cheers Stuart

See ya at solid hit soul

AlH :huh:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Cheers Stuart

See ya at solid hit soul

AlH :huh:

link

What, on the 18th of June? :lol: Lets see if the duck is dead.

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Only been to the 100club,new century in london/manchester and scenesville this year.

Ive been out clubbing without a break since 1980 and im slowing down now lol

Im joining the ranks of armchair collectors,occasionally inviting mates round for a dance around the sofa :huh:

All the best

AlH :lol:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Only been to the 100club,new century in london/manchester and scenesville this year.

Ive been out clubbing without a break since 1980 and im slowing down now lol

Im joining the ranks of armchair collectors,occasionally inviting mates round for a dance around the sofa :huh:

All the best

AlH :lol:

link

if you fancy coming down one night we'll get a nice collection of soft furnishings in for you

best regards

Andy

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

if you fancy coming down one night we'll get a nice collection of soft furnishings in for you

best regards

Andy

link

Cheers Andy

look forward to it

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Cheers Andy

look forward to it

link

right i'm off for the day

hope everyone has a great weekend, if any of you are in the hertfordshire area then come along to soul@hitchinfc (shameless plug)

cya and have a good one

all the best

Andy Kempster

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

The problem with London is that it will always be in the South and never in the North  :huh:

link

Well at least we know where we are, unlike you midland tweenies. :lol:

Social source share

Andy, was a great set.  Packed floor on a Wednesday night in the City?  Unlikely.  I was tapping my foot on several occasions whilst making sure that the bar didn't fall over.  You know it makes sense to ensure that such mishaps don't occur or else everyone's evening would be ruined.

link

I have never seen you dance stu! :huh:

Social source share

Guest SteveA

Having started this thread, I've been really interested to read other people's views.

To sum up, can I firstly say that I, & everbody else, do appreciate the efforts that promoters & djs put in to try & entertain us. Can I re-assure Mark H. & SITC especially that their venues & music are fine. I just wish they got more support.

But there are too many events & too few punters. Promoters need to combine events or have fewer of them or take a break now & again. This way we'd all be fresher & up for it.

There's not much we can do about travel or the scarcity of London soulies. What we can do is get out there ourselves as much as possible - & don't just prop up the bar. Get out on the floor - even if it is just to encourages others (like me) who won't start dancing until there's a few dancing!

And didn't a wise man once say..."Keep The Faith"?

Thanks all & see you around at a soul venue soon!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Yes, you know your place alright  :huh:

link

:lol: Hes done me.

I did try living in the midlands but when I started not being able to pronounce anything properly anymore I had to move.

Social source share

Sorry to be late contributing to this.

Interesting thread, had this discussion over drinks with my friends at many clubs. Don't know what the answer is, just can't believe all the soul lovers have moved away.

SITC has been fairly quiet for the last couple of months, but quite busy the previous month. Can't see any reason musically, I reckon the 2 guests did superb spots on Wednesday, sorry I am not dancing at the moment Andy, you know the situation. The regulars were excellent as usual.

Obviously if the dance floor is empty the atmosphere does suffer.

Although TOS had slightly lower attendances in the last year, to me the atmosphere there was always great, it was the nearest to an old 60s club I've been to since starting to go to soul clubs again. I, too, noticed the number of people on the last night who hadn't been seen there for some time, to a certain extent the same with the CSC. The loss of those 2 clubs is a warning to us all, use 'em or lose 'em.

I've only missed one SHS, hope to get to the next one, again a good mix of music. Absolute tragedy when Arthur Fenn's appearance attracted such a small audience, but it was the night after the last TOS.

Didn't go to Scenesville's last do, same reason as I've not been to the new Dome, if you have an injured foot, and dancing is unwise, it is not much fun sitting there, despite great music being played, and wanting to get up and dance, but knowing you will pay a heavy price the next day, not helped by having the car, and not being able to drink alcohol.

Getting home from late nights can be a problem, my last train from Liverpool Street is 11.55pm, absolutely ridiculous. Personally don't fancy night buses, heard some bad stories. Also parking can be a right pain, I know at least 2 people who didn't like leaving their car near the Dome.

I have been to New Chapter a couple of times and enjoyed the evening, but it depends on the type of Modern being played, the term covers a multitude of sins, prefer 70s type tracks in that genre, but open to others as well.

Not been to Monumental Soul, but intend to go to hear Steve Plumb from the Orwell's set.

The Valatone seems to have got the music policy right, nice mix of danceable Modern and Northern. I like R&B, but it depends on the songs played.

What I found interesting was when I went with Lesley to Blue Skies a couple of weeks ago, and Yogi played some classic oldies as requests, e.g. You've Been Away, If That's What You Wanted, Run For Cover, Gonna Find Me Somebody, The Champion, etc. the floor was very busy. It was busy earlier for Dave Greenhill and Stuart Tyler, who both played great sets, but this made me wonder if perhaps on occasional oldies night might pull in the crowds.

This may be heresy to some, and I do say occasionally, but it may be worth a try. Of course if there is one that I've missed I apologise.

I don't want any clubs to close down, because I write about London clubs for a certain magazine and need things to write about, lol.

I'd like to thank all promoters of soul events, old and new, I appreciate it is a tough and thankless task. I could see RBman getting gradually stressed over Blue Skies, but in the end it turned out okay.

Apologies for verbal diarrhoea, but to me this is an important subject, where would my social life be with the soul nights?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I have never seen you dance stu!  :huh:

link

You should have been at the Social when they threatened to throw me out for dancing on the tables. :lol:

I used to, not really something I enjoy that much any more.

Social source share

Sorry to be late contributing to this.

Interesting thread, had this discussion over drinks with my friends at many clubs. Don't know what the answer is, just can't believe all the soul lovers have moved away.

SITC has been fairly quiet for the last couple of months, but quite busy the previous month. Can't see any reason musically, I reckon the 2 guests did superb spots on Wednesday, sorry I am not dancing at the moment Andy, you know the situation. The regulars were excellent as usual.

Obviously if the dance floor is empty the atmosphere does suffer.

Although TOS had slightly lower attendances in the last year, to me the atmosphere there was always great, it was the nearest to an old 60s club I've been to since starting to go to soul clubs again. I, too, noticed the number of people on the last night who hadn't been seen there for some time, to a certain extent the same with the CSC. The loss of those 2 clubs is a warning to us all, use 'em or lose 'em.

I've only missed one SHS, hope to get to the next one, again a good mix of music. Absolute tragedy when Arthur Fenn's appearance attracted such a small audience, but it was the night after the last TOS.

Didn't go to Scenesville's last do, same reason as I've not been to the new Dome, if you have an injured foot, and dancing is unwise, it is not much fun sitting there, despite great music being played, and wanting to get up and dance, but knowing you will pay a heavy price the next day, not helped by having the car, and not being able to drink alcohol.

Getting home from late nights can be a problem, my last train from Liverpool Street is 11.55pm, absolutely ridiculous. Personally don't fancy night buses, heard some bad stories. Also parking can be a right pain, I know at least 2 people who didn't like leaving their car near the Dome.

I have been to New Chapter a couple of times and enjoyed the evening, but it depends on the type of Modern being played, the term covers a multitude of sins, prefer 70s type tracks in that genre, but open to others as well.

Not been to Monumental Soul, but intend to go to hear Steve Plumb from the Orwell's set.

The Valatone seems to have got the music policy right, nice mix of danceable Modern and Northern. I like R&B, but it depends on the songs played.

What I found interesting was when I went with Lesley to Blue Skies a couple of weeks ago, and Yogi played some classic oldies as requests, e.g. You've Been Away, If That's What You Wanted, Run For Cover, Gonna Find Me Somebody, The Champion, etc. the floor was very busy. It was busy earlier for Dave Greenhill and Stuart Tyler, who both played great sets, but this made me wonder if perhaps on occasional oldies night might pull in the crowds.

This may be heresy to some, and I do say occasionally, but it may be worth a try. Of course if there is one that I've missed I apologise.

I don't want any clubs to close down, because I write about London clubs for a certain magazine and need things to write about, lol.

I'd like to thank all promoters of soul events, old and new, I appreciate it is a tough and thankless task. I could see RBman getting gradually stressed over Blue Skies, but in the end it turned out okay.

Apologies for verbal diarrhoea, but to me this is an important subject, where would my social life be with the soul nights?

link

Round at yours!me thinks save on`t night buses

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I shall get you drunk and on the floor tomorrow night

link

You aren't going to be leading me astray. :huh:

Social source share

Hi Pete

Well son, your dreams have been answered. Booglaloosoul's monthly Motown extravaganza is on the 10th June. Rare and classic tunes played with a passion. If it's anything last last month they're still mopping the sweat off the walls, fantastic.

Personally I think the London scene is fab. Some clubs come, some go but there's still loads of passionate people putting their money where their records are and keeping it lively. 4th anniversary tomorrow night - must be doing something right or must be really stupid to put up with all this pain and heartache.

London soul - I love it!!!!!

Warren Boogaloo

link

Social source share

Right I'm going to say it (prompted by Geoff) and damn the consequences. I think there could be a few more oldies chucked into DJs playlists for the new punter or the returnee stomper. A hell of a lot of DJs don't play any in a spot and sometimes their playlists read better than they sound. This really isn't a dig at anyone in particular, I've got no one in mind and I'm sometimes guilty of it too.

The oldies themselves should be a mix of the rare, the forgotten, the evergreen and even the crass; once in a while. I used to have this argument with some of the Stafford die hards and I think it's still appropriate today. Obviously it depends on the crowd, and sometimes it would be a bad move, but at other times it probably wouldn't kill anyone to play The Snake and it might give a couple of people a great night.

I don't think an all oldies dance would work, whereas an all rare could as long as the crowd knew what it was going to be. An appropriate mix is the ideal.

I think there are very few oldies DJs about down south, let alone good ones.

Social source share

Agreed, I know that it's mainly the oldies which get me up to dance, but no bugger plays the one's I want to hear which is why I had a go at DJing myself, although it's something I won't be doing again because I can't stand the crap I have recieved from one or two die hard's who think it's just copying some other DJ who played them 30 odd years ago and that I don't have the brains to play something new

Social source share

Agreed, I know that it's mainly the oldies which get me up to dance, but no bugger plays the one's I want to hear which is why I had a go at DJing myself, although it's something I won't be doing again because I can't stand the crap I have recieved from one or two die hard's who think it's just copying some other DJ who played them 30 odd years ago and that I don't have the brains to play something new

link

You are joking? :thumbsup:

Janine, just tell them to go forth & multiply! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The bottom line is London is toooooo expensive, the last time we went was scenesville and it cost over three hundred quid for F***s sake i could buy a decent record for that!!!!!

OK 200 of that was to get my car back from the ba****d Westminster Council Clamper Society (WccS) but it only highlights the perils of rip off Britain when travelling to the Big Smerk apart from that we had a great night, great music, great pals old and new and I even got a bit of French action from Miles :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Right I'm going to say it (prompted by Geoff) and damn the consequences. I think there could be a few more oldies chucked into DJs playlists for the new punter or the returnee stomper. A hell of a lot of DJs don't play any in a spot and sometimes their playlists read better than they sound. This really isn't a dig at anyone in particular, I've got no one in mind and I'm sometimes guilty of it too.

The oldies themselves should be a mix of the rare, the forgotten, the evergreen and even the crass; once in a while. I used to have this argument with some of the Stafford die hards and I think it's still appropriate today. Obviously it depends on the crowd, and sometimes it would be a bad move, but at other times it probably wouldn't kill anyone to play The Snake and it might give a couple of people a great night.

I don't think an all oldies dance would work, whereas an all rare could as long as the crowd knew what it was going to be. An appropriate mix is the ideal.

link

Ooooooo errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr contraversial Mr C, although i wouldn't disagree. Essentially when you take a step back and think about it objectively a lot of the sounds played today do not stand up to the those that first sparked our love for the scene. Obviously if you are hearing those self same records week in week out as most of us here do then of course you tire of them and look for something new but with slimmer pickings to be had the quality isn't really as instant as it was back then.

Don't get me wrong I'm not really dis-ing todays tunes as i for one would rather hear them nowadays, what i am saying and i think it is where Ady was coming from is that records like the "Dreaded" SNAKE and OOTF Love love love etc etc have an imediate appeal to everyone and to mix them into a set of more contemporary tunes would not be the end of the world.

Perhaps advertising outside of the normal mags and websites wouldn't hurt either, unless of course you want to keep the (I was going to say street cred, but it's not really what i mean) upfront edge to the event, if that is the case then you can't really complain at low attendances as apart from a very few events in the country they all have to compromise to a degree.

John

Did that make sense??? SLIGHTLY SQUIFFY AFTER A FEW BOTTLES OF VINO?

Social source share

Stay off the gin, you sound depressed.

This is nothing to what we had at stages of the eighties when I played my last half hour to Jet & Shona, the bar staff. Or the seventies when 80 people was maximum.

I think it's just got more diverse and more people are having a go at promoting and DJing, and it's often harder than they realise. I really don't see any reason for concern, events will drop off, downsize and get rocking again and then a new cycle will start and we'll be having another bleeding revival.

Alan H has probably got it right, he's knocked it on the head when it dragged a bit, pursued a few other interests and passions, goes out when he wants to, not when he feels he should, and will no doubt be back with a vengeance when he gets the bug again. Meanwhile other nutters like some of us will keep things going and try a few new angles.

Social source share

The problem with London is that it will always be in the South and never in the North  :thumbsup:

link

But then there is South London and then there is North London!

Social source share

link

Janine, dont let them prats put you off, you know how well the girls nite at the 100 club did and you were one of them! Its one of two things here for people to say that - jealously or that they are terrified that you are doing a better job than them! Remember do as I say and not as I do!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

link

I am one of the "returnees" and where the biggest thrill for me has been hearing all the new records (well new to me) over the last 12 months it is great to hear one of the old sounds i.e. OOTF, and of course QOF now and again. (I do draw the line at the snake though, didn't like it first time round).

These are the tunes that brought us here in the first place and on the few occasions they do get played fill the floor, and to new comers to the scene they are still NEW, they got us stomping all those years ago and would probably have the same effect on the newbies.

As a few people of said in this thread it doesn't hurt to throw the odd one in now and again as long as it's a good mix with the rarer/newer stuff

I am going to an event tonight that even the promoter described to me as a night of "handbag" soul and am really looking forward to it. For a change I will know all the records and can go with some friends who aren't perhaps as die hard soulies as I am but will enjoy it, but I wouldn't want to do it every week.

Well there's my tuppence I'm off to polish the soles of my shoes and practise my handbag moves for tonight.

QOF

XX

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert