London Soul Events

Guest SteveA

Guest SteveA

This is a rant but bear with me.

Apart from the 100 Club (which counts as a 'national' event), as a general rule London's soul nights seem to be dead ducks. Discuss.

Maybe I'm going to the wrong events, but I'm getting dispirited going to both northern & "modern" soul events in London, which consist of:-

- 2 or 3 dozen punters sprinkled around a venue;

- only 2 or 3 people dancing (what's the point of going & not dancing?);

- zilch atmosphere.

In a city of 8 million, this is pathetic support. Are the reasons for this:-

Promoters & djs not advertising their events effectively or;

Too many events or;

Nobody's interested or;

Punters have got too many other pressures on their wallets & time or;

It's all done semi-deliberately to keep the scene 'underground'?

Promoters /djs seem to love arranging events & producing nice flyers but forget that the most important factor is atmosphere. Promoters ought to think seriously about merging their events with others of a similar kind. Better to have 20 half decent events a year than 50 dead ducks.

I think there's a serious problem in London now with this lack of numbers. It does nothing to encourage me to keep going or newcomers from joining in.

What's to be done?

Social source share

• Replies 157
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest waynec

londons certainly changed the last couple of years.

go back 4/5 years and things like the 100/scenesville/dome were heaving.

seamed there was a lot more punters round then than now.

noticed a lot recently that you can end up with two or three do,s on the same night now.

never used to be like that.

im sure when the domes on theres another do in london.

the do up marble arch the other week was poorly attended but then again there was another soul nite/niter on the same nite.

makes you wonder what the promoters want when they clash do,s.

maybe everyones fed up with it.

herts seams to be the in place at the moment for good do,s

Social source share

Capitol Soul Club was good in the early days, packed. Lots of dance floor drinkers - non soul fans along for a gawp and a pint. Scenesville was and is good, but suffers from lack a permanent venue. These Old Shoes was good, but isn't on anymore. So there's not a lot really. Heard mixed reports about the Dome - in Events from the last one, the feedback seemed pretty positive, though a text from a mate said otherwise. :P

Social source share

Good post Steve A. I've been considering the issue for some time.

I did originally think that it was Londoners inability to manage a trip of more than 3 steps on a red bus that was the problem.

These days I think there just aren't very many soulies in London. Yes, I know there are 8 million londoners but they just aint interested in soul.

I don't know if anyone else has noted but an awful lot of the people at London soul nites are from outide London.

Col.

Social source share

Heard mixed reports about the Dome - in Events from the last one, the feedback seemed pretty positive, though a text from a mate said otherwise. :P

link

Regret all the feed back I have on the Dome has been negative.

The main issue being music policy - way too much RnB

Col.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Apart from the 100 Club (which counts as a 'national' event), as a general rule London's soul nights seem to be dead ducks.  Discuss.

Maybe I'm going to the wrong events, but I'm getting dispirited going to both northern & "modern" soul events in London, which consist of:-

- zilch atmosphere.

In a city of 8 million, this is pathetic support.  Are the reasons for this:-

Too many events or;

Nobody's interested or;

Promoters /djs seem to love arranging events & producing nice flyers but forget that the most important factor is atmosphere.  Promoters ought to think seriously about merging their events with others of a similar kind.  Better to have 20 half decent events a year than 50 dead ducks.

I think there's a serious problem in London now with this lack of numbers.  It does nothing to encourage me to keep going or newcomers from joining in.

What's to be done?

link

Getting from A-B is a major problem when promoting in London - to get to some do's you need to plan it like a military operation due to tubes , overlands etc and the problem being if you miss your tube you have to pay over the odds for a taxi home this discourages alot of punters particualrly if you've been stung before - This is a problem London suffers from day to day and its's not just soul nites that are hit - it is a completely different situation from the rest of the country

The promoters do try but it is difficult - maybe a merge as suggested maybe a way forward

Jo Wallaces do at Tower Bridge was a decent night despite the dodgy dancefloor

Social source share

There was a lovely new dance floor put in for the last TOS too, such a shame but appreciate Jo wanted to go out on a high, which she did big time

Social source share

Guest waynec

Fingers crossed Scenesville will make a return  :P

link

thought it had already with the nite at marble arch.

does seam weird that theres two do,s on at the same venue.

dont know if it was a one off but hope sceneville sticks with that venue.

it certainly has a good dancefloor

Social source share

Boogaloosoul's 4th Anniversary bash on Saturday 4th June promises to be one of the best.

Guest DJ's Rob Messer and Ady Pots join the regulars to bring you the best in Northern soul. Everything from rare exclusives to classic oldies played to a very enthusiastic crowd.

Free anniversary CD and record raffle on the night.

8pm til 1am

The Cellar Bar

King William 4th Pub and Hotel

155 Trafalgar Rd

Greenwich

SE10 8TN

Near Maze Hill BR and Greenwich Swimming Baths.

Only £5 on the door - 8.00 'till 1.00

e-mail tsuccess@dircon.co.uk or call Warren on 07838 181 375

(another 5p off my admission tomorrow LOL)

Social source share

thought it had already with the nite at marble arch.

does seam weird that theres two do,s on at the same venue.

dont know if it was a one off but hope sceneville sticks with that venue.

it certainly has a good dancefloor

link

Tis a lovely venue, sure if they dont use that one again they will find something just as lovely, we should all mail Nick and insist on another night :D:P

Social source share

There was a lovely new dance floor put in for the last TOS too, such a shame but appreciate Jo wanted to go out on a high, which she did big time

link

Fantastic nite, absolutely rammed in there, top tunes, brilliant atmosphere.

Shows whats achievable.

Col.

Social source share

Well done, Janine, a superd double blog and for this I will extend the my kind offer to another 15p. If you don't know what we're talking about, check out the Boogaloo event posting. Money to be made!!!!!!!!!

Warren Boogaloo

Boogaloosoul's 4th Anniversary bash on Saturday 4th June promises to be one of the best.

Guest DJ's Rob Messer and Ady Pots join the regulars to bring you the best in Northern soul. Everything from rare exclusives to classic oldies played to a very enthusiastic crowd.

Free anniversary CD and record raffle on the night.

8pm til 1am

The Cellar Bar

King William 4th Pub and Hotel

155 Trafalgar Rd

Greenwich

SE10 8TN

Near Maze Hill BR and Greenwich Swimming Baths.

Only £5 on the door - 8.00 'till 1.00

e-mail tsuccess@dircon.co.uk or call Warren on 07838 181 375

(another 5p off my admission tomorrow LOL)

link

Social source share

Getting from A-B is a major problem when promoting in London - to get to some do's you need to plan it like a military operation due to tubes , overlands etc and the problem being if you miss your tube you have to pay over the odds for a taxi home this discourages alot of punters particualrly if you've been stung before - This is a problem London suffers from day to day and its's not just soul nites that are hit - it is a completely different situation from the rest of the country

link

This is true in my case.

I like to have a beer or two when I go out, if I do I always have to leave early to get home! The problem is that the do's in London (or at least the ones I've been to) are very good. It's just that I get fed up having to leave early to make a 2 hours+ journey home on public transport, for a distance of 20 miles!

As I only go out once a month, I generally have to take into consideration how to get home afterwards. Also the wife doesn't like to be left alone in the house by herself with the kids allnight. So all these affect where I decide to go.

I've been out 6 times this year so far and only twice of those were in London and I live right near Heathrow Airport!

January - 100 Club (London), February - Solid Hit Soul (London), March - Saracen's (Cheltenham), April - West Farnborough Club, May - SSCDT Alldayer (Derby). Cheltenham I stayed at my Brother-in-laws, West Farnborough I drove approx 40 mins away and Derby was just too good to miss!

Now I come to think of it, I'd taken the day off work to go to the NCSC do at the Victory Services Club, London the night before the Alldayer, but then it was a straight choice between that and Derby the following day. I chose Derby (sorry Chris & Marcelle :P ), because I knew it would be easier for me to travel to Derby and back than London by public transport.

I'll tell who could make a killing in London, a Teetotal Soulie who drives a minibus! :D

Social source share

Apart from the 100 Club (which counts as a 'national' event), as a general rule London's soul nights seem to be dead ducks.  Discuss.

- zilch atmosphere.

In a city of 8 million, this is pathetic support.  Are the reasons for this:-

Too many events or;

Nobody's interested or;

Promoters /djs seem to love arranging events & producing nice flyers but forget that the most important factor is atmosphere.  Promoters ought to think seriously about merging their events with others of a similar kind.  Better to have 20 half decent events a year than 50 dead ducks.

I think there's a serious problem in London now with this lack of numbers.  It does nothing to encourage me to keep going or newcomers from joining in.

What's to be done?

link

Have you been to VALATONE?

Social source share

As someone who has promoted do`s in London over the last 13 years (putting in hundreds of hours work and loads of money) as well as being the founder of "A New Chapter" and co founder of "Monumental Soul" i`ll give you my views from a non "Northern" perspective.

Since the early 90`s i have attended hundreds of so called "Modern" nights. Apart from Special/Occasional events (birthday`s,boats etc) and 2/3 room events i have very rarely seen attendances exceed 150 (much less in most cases) and of the that did almost all were situated in the west end where turnout is boosted by many non soulies attending.

When one thinks of how difficult it is in unifying the different factions on the Northern scene when dealing for the most part with one decade then imagine what`s like on the modern side when you are dealing with over 35 years of Soul and all the changes in production techniques,instrumentation etc .It`s inevitable that people will go off in different directions which results in smaller attendances.

I decided to start "A New Chapter" because nowhere was playing the type of tunes i was buying and which i believed in.Rather than continue moaning i decided to get off my backside and do something about it.

I found a tiny bar and began a midweek soul session.At first we had about 10-15 regulars which over 2 and a half years grew to about 40/50 (sometimes more) We then reluctently were forced to move to another venue due to sound restrictions enforced by the local council.Our new venue is much plusher and quite a bit larger . What the future holds we will have to wait and see.

I am proud of what i started with "A New Chapter" and what i along with Steve and Gareth and all the guest dj`s have achieved. We have put many a dj and punter onto tunes they would not have heard anywhere else and have given loads of people some cracking nights out.

Sorry about the lengthy post,but i thought i would reply to Steve A`s (legitimate) rant from a different perspective

Mark Houghton

Social source share

The London scene isn't as vibrant as it was 4 or 5 years ago. I don't think it's realistic that it would ever continue to be like that. I don't get out much myself these days due to a mixture of apathy and financial and family reasons. I'm sure many other people are the same. It'll bounce back though. There's plently of good people, like Mark H, who get off their backsides and get things going. It's bloody hard work though, and soemtimes they need a break.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Steve,

This has been discussed on here before, and my views havent changed.

When I moved to London 10 years ago, I was lucky to arrive as the attendances at do's in London began to increase.

But speak to most of the people at soul nites and at the 100 club, and the accents were from all over the country. In fact most of Western Europe and the odd Aussie (Duncan is very odd :D ), Kiwi (Kerry even odder :D ) or Yank (Jess is lovely :P ).

When Kavel and I started doing in town, there were 8 events per month. By the time I left London last year, there were up to 32 events each month, with one Friday night, 5 do's on inside Zones 1-4. I decided to go to all of them. And this was following SITC on Weds, TOS on the Thursday night. At all 5 do's the attendances were obviously poor, but the faces at all these do's were the same ones at SITC or TOS.

There were, even at the zenith 4 years ago, only so many people to go around.

Mark has targetted his audience as he describes above, and Ben Summers targetted his audience with the crossover nites at Seriously Soulful.

Valatone also has it's audience with a great fusion of modern, crossover and up front Northern Soul.

But for the other 20+ events, most were playing the same kinds of tunes, and having more or less the same guests. So people would just go where their mates were going, or to a function where their mates were promoting it.

The mod scene in London is flourishing now with increased attendances at many of the strictly mod events. This has to effect the number of mods who used to attend soul nights.

As Colin said earlier too. Many London soul fans didn't need to go any further than the night bus terminus, because of the number of events. But in the last 5 years, London soul fans have increasingly done what Ian is doing, and travelled to other parts of the country, because despite there being a group of headline Djs, Northern Soul still has many regional sounds. Go to Leeds and you will hear completely different sets (whether they are oldies or not), to those you might get in Wellingboro, or Abergavenny, or Glasgow.

As I said at the start, I moved to London 10 years ago, along with other soulies who had moved there at a similar time. And as has been well documented that us regional types get what is referred to as the 7 year itch. Around this time people grow weary of London, but not life. Being a bit slow it took me 10 years to get the 7 year itch, before I moved nearer my roots. But in the last 2 or 3 years I was in London I went to loads of leaving do's, as people drifted away.

What hasnt changed is London has its fair share of forward thinking promoters. Guys mentioned above and of course Ady at the 100 club, and Nick at Scenesville, keep on providing the very best quality soul nights they can. I expect the crowds to remain low for a few years, and then there will be another influx of soul fans to London, and this will be repeated again. Its rather like a tide, as the attendances ebb and flo.

A few nights have come and gone, but there are real gems still to be enjoyed. Like this weekends Boogaloo will be Superb. Thats a guarantee. The free night in Walthamstow will attract new people as will Walls of Heartache with their imaginitive use of celeb Djs. SITC was the one night I was able to get to regularly at the end of my time in London, and I enjoyed every single one of them.

And finally (thank goodness I hear you say), we on SS often have our legs pulled by certain promoters when we say we can enjoy ourselves in a room with 20 like minded souls. But we know that isnt for everybody. If you are trying to introduce somebody new to Northern Soul, you just have to try to pick a night where you can be more confident of a decent crowd. good luck, and I hope you have as much fun after dark in London as I did.

Mikey

Social source share

I live in mid-herts and try to go to as many soul events a week as my body will allow. This week I've been to Soul In The City (London), tonight I am going to Westcott near Aylesbury for RSG and on Saturday I hope to get to Boogaloo in Greenwich (is that 5p off my entrance Warren?). I would like to go to Hitchin FC and Shake tonight but can't be in three places at once.

I was at the Dome last friday and although numbers were light for a big venue I thought the place still had an good feel and top music including an hour of RnB at the end. :P

I am married but separated, my two sons (20 and 18) live with me but don't object to me going out and coming home at odd times.

Are there too many events on in London or is it that the the scene is past its sell by date?.... In general the events I go to outside London are well attended. I just think it's the London Soulie......use it or lose it!

A big thanks to all you promoters out there who keep me off the streets at night. :D

Edited by Rbman
Social source share

The London scene isn't as vibrant as it was 4 or 5 years ago. I don't think it's realistic that it would ever continue to be like that. I don't get out much myself these days due to a mixture of apathy and financial and family reasons. I'm sure many other people are the same. It'll bounce back though. There's plently of good people, like Mark H, who get off their backsides and get things going. It's bloody hard work though, and soemtimes they need a break.

link

I agree with you on that. The London Scene isnt like it used to be. I remember the good old days when the cloakroom at the 100 club had some people in there -for a chat, you would have to wait outside for your turn!!

Things have changed, many reasons but one I believe is certain people missing off the scene now - who are not with us anymore - who had a big impact on everything.

Going back to Mark H - who Ive known for a long time now! He has been 'going' for a long time, and yes if it wasn't to for Mark - and others, there wouldn't be anything going on in London. I have to admit that I haven't been to his dos for a while now unfortunately, but back in the 90s (god that sounds old!) he was on roll -him and Colin Brown's dos - defo was the place to be, met a lot of good friends there, miss them days. But things and people move on but then again looking forward to Sat - Norfolk Village Reunion as hoping lot of people I met there will be there again, of course including Mark.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I think the scene in London is in a pretty poor state. As Mikey mentions, an awful lot of the people are actually from out of town and travelling into London for a night out is a load of hassle. Its easier to drive north 40 miles than south into London 20 miles away. Of course, its the other way round if you live south of London. I don't want to confuse Janine.

We've had some appalling attendances at Solid Hit Soul, although we appear to have broken through that now. We were wondering is it us? Is it the venue? The music? Most of our attendees don't live in London. All it takes is something like Luton on the same night and we lose numbers. In fact competition can now be any night anywhere in the country as far as I can tell.

I'd like nothing better than there to be a full on club like the CSC at the Dome but first London doesn't have the numbers itself, second there are various other events that would now compete, making it less of a must go night, and thirdly, I don't know whether many people are very interested in more than a bit of a dance at an oldies night and a beer with a mate.

There are a lot of clubs on, everyone seems to want to be a DJ, and you even get the Jazz Cafe putting on a northern soul night (I bet they had quite a few in). Maybe that will produce a few extra people although if I was 18 I wouldn't want to be on the current scene much. They even have a forum where they discuss whether young people should be allowed or encouraged to go into their clubs!!!

Social source share

I agree with you on that. The London Scene isnt like it used to be. I remember the good old days when the cloakroom at the 100 club had some people in there -for a chat, you would have to wait outside for your turn!!

They must have been the nights i was hosting,cloak room used be 100club chillout room,them backstairs have had their share of people sat there half the night talking about all kinds of stuff!!half yorkshire used to come in the back way,then the boss!!!!came down hard on us,and that was the end of that,they were good days,but like all good days there will be others,pretty soon maybe cleethorpes next week,who knows you would have to be there to find out!..... :P

Social source share

Guest stevemcmahon

Johnny T's birthday bash at Tower Bridge was the best London do I've been to in ages - great floor+sound system.. but even then, with just the one room and a great attendance it proved that the DJs have the ability to either create the atmosphere or kill it. ie: some did better than others.. :P

Social source share

I think the scene in London is in a pretty poor state.  As Mikey mentions, an awful lot of the people are actually from out of town and travelling into London for a night out is a load of hassle.  Its easier to drive north 40 miles than south into London 20 miles away.  Of course, its the other way round if you live south of London.  I don't want to confuse Janine.

We've had some appalling attendances at Solid Hit Soul, although we appear to have broken through that now.  We were wondering is it us?  Is it the venue?  The music?  Most of our attendees don't live in London.  All it takes is something like Luton on the same night and we lose numbers.  In fact competition can now be any night anywhere in the country as far as I can tell.

I'd like nothing better than there to be a full on club like the CSC at the Dome but first London doesn't have the numbers itself, second there are various other events that would now compete, making it less of a must go night, and thirdly, I don't know whether many people are very interested in more than a bit of a dance at an oldies night and a beer with a mate. 

There are a lot of clubs on, everyone seems to want to be a DJ, and you even get the Jazz Cafe putting on a northern soul night (I bet they had quite a few in).  Maybe that will produce a few extra people although if I was 18 I wouldn't want to be on the current scene much.  They even have a forum where they discuss whether young people should be allowed or encouraged to go into their clubs!!!

link

Hi Ya Stuart, agree.

But firstly I must apologise for not getting to SITC, Im always getting lost getting there - I know its a lame excuse but its true! I think the place is great and so are the people and the music.

I also agree with discussing whether young people being allowed, etc., is bad. Who are we to judge who can or can't go! Things have changed a lot now, there seems to be some 'competition' who is better than others, some dont want to mix or have their own little group - sorry but whats this all about?! I liked going coz we could all meet up with 'friends'. Sorry but its like follow my leader half the time! I have gone to 'different/new' places - some good, some bad, (In, around and outside London) met different people and think thats how it should be. (sorry If Im minching my words!!)

Sorry Im going off thread now!! Jazz Cafe - most people there weren't into Northern, but it was a good laugh, especially listening to old tunes!!

Social source share

Johnny T's birthday bash at Tower Bridge was the best London do I've been to in ages - great floor+sound system.. but even then, with just the one room and a great attendance it proved that the DJs have the ability to either create the atmosphere or kill it. ie: some did better than others..  :D

link

But its always a great nite at Valatone :P

Social source share

Guest remus

Col.

link

:huh: Too much r'n'b!, are you sure, I only heard half hour of it.

Even too much for me, but you can't knock them for trying to cater for others tastes. Let the organisers know face to face what your not happy with and if enough people say so, they will do something about it!. I know the promoter and believe me, he is trying his best to get the Dome to take off.

Social source share

Johnny T's birthday bash at Tower Bridge was the best London do I've been to in ages - great floor+sound system.. but even then, with just the one room and a great attendance it proved that the DJs have the ability to either create the atmosphere or kill it. ie: some did better than others..  :huh:

link

Actually Deeve, that was Johnny Gamel's birthday bash - not Johnny T's!

Social source share

Hi Ya Stuart, agree.

But firstly I must apologise for not getting to SITC, Im always getting lost getting there - I know its a lame excuse but its true!  I think the place is great and so are the people and the music.

link

That's no excuse Karen! If Janine and Dave can get there before closing time........

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Hi Ya Stuart, agree.

But firstly I must apologise for not getting to SITC, Im always getting lost getting there - I know its a lame excuse but its true!  I think the place is great and so are the people and the music.

I also agree with discussing whether young people being allowed, etc., is bad.  Who are we to judge who can or can't go!  Things have changed a lot now, there seems to be some 'competition' who is better than others, some dont want to mix or have their own little group - sorry but whats this all about?!  I liked going coz we could all meet up with 'friends'.  Sorry but its like follow my leader half the time!  I have gone to 'different/new' places - some good, some bad, (In, around and outside London) met different people and think thats how it should be.  (sorry If Im minching my words!!)

Sorry Im going off thread now!!  Jazz Cafe - most people there weren't into Northern, but it was a good laugh, especially listening to old tunes!!

link

Soul In The City is the Wednesday night event, Solid Hit Soul is the Saturday night one, slightly different people same venue. You are now required to attend both, SHS is on 18 June, next SITC will be first Wednesday in July (correct Paul?). Look forward to seeing you there Karen, no excuses!

Social source share

As one of the co-promoters of Soul in the City I thought I might say a few words here.

We've been running SITC for 3 & 1/2 years now, in 4 different venues. 3 have had a dance floor and one didn't. At the end of our dance floorless run we got down to 15 attendees including us 4 Djs, but we soldiered on because everybody who did come enjoyed having a few beers whilst listening to some good music. At the start of the KFC adverts we were approached by Nylon, a City night club to run a weekly Northern night. We, quite rightly we felt, countered their proposal and offered to run a monthly night. We were there 7 months and attendances were very good (peaking at over 100). They closed down and we found a new venue, Vivo, just the other side of Cheapside, where we've been ever since. It has a great dancefloor and although the venue is smaller than Nylon, it has quite a lot of seating and so can look quite empty early on if no one's dancing, but once people are up on the floor the atmosphere changes completely.

Now onto attendances in general. My feeling is that, as the last night at These Old Shoes proved people will come out to a midweek do in London in numbers, but the general apathy level in London, means that a lot of people don't bother. TOS for the last year of it's life soldiered on with fairly low attendances and yet the last night was rammed. As Rbman said above, we must use our nights or lose them. Everyone you speak to regrets the demise of TOS, but how many made the effort? Clashing of dates is a cardinal sin, this must surely be a case of 'let's work together'. Travelling to and from dos can be a real pain if you don't drive or, like me, enjoy a few beers with your soul music, but it's quite often possible to blag a lift off of one of those who do drive. I got a lift home from Hatfield to Bromley, Kent the other week & to and from Brighton at the weekend, & gave 2 people a lift home from SITC on Wednesday, so it is possible.

I hope that SITC isn't considered a dead duck, as we put a lot of work into promoting the night and play a good spread of Northern Soul of all genres. As DJs, you will quite often find us asked to DJ at various other venues, both at home and occasionally abroad, so hopefully we're doing something right.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the quite large number of Soul Sourcers who came along on Wednesday for turning up and hope that you all had a good time at Vivo and that we'll see you again soon. :huh:

Social source share

Soul In The City is the Wednesday night event, Solid Hit Soul is the Saturday night one, slightly different people same venue.  You are now required to attend both, SHS is on 18 June, next SITC will be first Wednesday in July (correct Paul?).  Look forward to seeing you there Karen, no excuses!

link

Thank you for 'putting me right'! I apologise. :huh:

What time does the car come round to pick me up then?! :lol::huh:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Col.

link

hello Col

i play at the dome and my opinion is that it was 90% soul. yes there was a semi r&b set right at the end of the night but the thing is people ask for it. i know martin was there and absolutely loved the last set from jodie. we would really like to please all of the people all of the time but realically we all know that will never happen. in general the night has a very progressive feel to it, with the aim to be that unheard and underplayed tunes take precedence over the big guns. any feedback on the night is always greatly appreciated and i might add listened to. it certainly wasn't packed to the walls by any means but the night is getting better everytime imo and can only go from strength to strength, if you were there then i hope you had a good night (despite the r& cool.gif and will be coming again in july

all the best

andy kempster

soul@hitchinfc, the dome

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I live in mid-herts and try to go to as many soul events a week as my body will allow. This week I've been to Soul In The City (London), tonight I am going to Westcott near Aylesbury for RSG and on Saturday I hope to get to Boogaloo in Greenwich (is that 5p off my entrance Warren?). I would like to go to Hitchin FC and Shake tonight  but can't be in three places at once.

I was at the Dome last friday and although numbers were light for a big venue I thought the place still had an good feel and top music including an hour of RnB at the end. :huh:

I am married but separated, my two sons (20 and 18) live with me but don't object to me going out and coming home at odd times.

Are there too many events on in London or is it that the the scene is past its sell by date?.... In general the events I go to outside London are well attended. I just think it's the London Soulie......use it or lose it!

A big thanks to all you promoters out there who keep me off the streets at night. :lol:

link

thanks for the compliment martin, it was nice to say hello. shame you cant do hitchin tonight (maybe next time) have a good time at rsg

cheers

andy

Social source share

As one of the co-promoters of Soul in the City I thought I might say a few words here.

We've been running SITC for 3 & 1/2 years now, in 4 different venues. 3 have had a dance floor and one didn't. At the end of our dance floorless run we got down to 15 attendees including us 4 Djs, but we soldiered on because everybody who did come enjoyed having a few beers whilst listening to some good music. At the start of the KFC adverts we were approached by Nylon, a City night club to run a weekly Northern night. We, quite rightly we felt,  countered their proposal and offered to run a monthly night. We were there 7 months and attendances were very good (peaking at over 100). They closed down and we found a new venue, Vivo, just the other side of Cheapside, where we've been ever since. It has a great dancefloor and although the venue is smaller than Nylon, it has quite a lot of seating and so can look quite empty early on if no one's dancing, but once people are up on the floor the atmosphere changes completely.

Now onto attendances in general. My feeling is that, as the last night at These Old Shoes proved people will come out to a midweek do in London in numbers, but the general apathy level in London, means that a lot of people don't bother. TOS for the last year of it's life soldiered on with fairly low attendances and yet the last night was rammed. As Rbman said above, we must use our nights or lose them. Everyone you speak to regrets the demise of TOS, but how many made the effort? Clashing of dates is a cardinal sin, this must surely be a case of 'let's work together'. Travelling to and from dos can be a real pain if you don't drive or, like me, enjoy a few beers with your soul music, but it's quite often possible to blag a lift off of one of those who do drive. I got a lift home from Hatfield to Bromley, Kent the other week & to and from Brighton at the weekend, & gave 2 people a lift home from SITC on Wednesday, so it is possible.

I hope that SITC isn't considered a dead duck, as we put a lot of work into promoting the night and play a good spread of Northern Soul of all genres. As DJs, you will quite often find us asked to DJ at various other venues, both at home and occasionally abroad, so hopefully we're doing something right.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the quite large number of Soul Sourcers who came along on Wednesday for turning up and hope that you all had a good time at Vivo and that we'll see you again soon. :lol:

link

yes well said Paul, and you are correct about attendances at TOS. Most of the people at the last ever night hadn't been in months, and we were hobbling along for the last 2 years with 30-40 in most months. That isn't said as a dig at anyone who came to the last one, it was brilliant to go out on a high, but it's isn't really comparable with other nights in terms of atmosphere etc. as it was such a unique evening.

Suggestions on making things better are most welcomed, for either SITC or for Solid Hit Soul. I just don't think the numbers are there, so you have to go out and make the most of what you find because I think it's unlikely that you will find yourself in very many London events where there is a packed house of 300 excited soulies in the current climate. I can well understand someone feeling a bit let down about turning up to a night to find 30 people in there, but spare a thought for the promoters who are probably more dejected than even you - and if you are able to spot any 'obvious' reasons why you think nobody is there (because the music is crap, the venue is crap, etc etc) then for gods sake, tell the promoters because I promise you, they will be looking for ways to make it better for next time :huh:

Martin

Social source share

I live in South London and it's still hard for me to get anywhere, thyere is no transport back to south london after midnight so I have to leave a club by 11.30pm or drive, and I always get lost

Social source share

:lol: Too much r'n'b!, are you sure, I only heard half hour of it.

Even too much for me, but you can't knock them for trying to cater for others tastes. Let the organisers know face to face what your not happy with and if enough people say so, they will do something about it!. I know the promoter and believe me, he is trying his best to get the Dome to take off.

link

Fair comment. Just for the record I didn't go to the re-opening of the Dome.

But I heard from 4 different sets of friends that it played way too much RnB.

1 DJ way playing stuff closer to doo-wop & rockabilly. They said they wouldn't

go back to the Dome & suggested I wouldn't enjoy it. So I haven't bothered.

As far as i'm concerned the Dome now has a reputation for playing too much RnB.

If things have changed & I'm now wrong, I would love to hear about it.

Sorry for being a bit on the blunt side. But I am just writing what other people think.

Col.

PS - I'm off to Nottingham for the week-end :huh:

Social source share

I live in South London and it's still hard for me to get anywhere, thyere is no transport back to south london after midnight so I have to leave a club by 11.30pm or drive, and I always get lost

link

Dont worry Janine, think Stuart T is sending a car round for me, maybe he can send one round for you too!! or I dont mind sharing, we can go from mine to yours if you like!! See I can solve all the problems of getting to places!! :huh:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Sorry for being a bit on the blunt side. But I am just writing what other people think.

Col.

PS -  I'm off to Nottingham for the week-end :huh:

link

you are probably not far off the mark, yes there was a lot more r&b at the first night but i think you would find that has changed, it is very difficult on a first night to predict the mood of the crowd, what they want to hear etc. the fact is the the amount of r&b has certainly diminshed and is being replaced with absolute top quality soul. perhaps you should get down the the next one on friday july 29th and sample some of the delights for yourself. the more the merrier, ady has put a lot of time and effort into making the dome a good night and all i can see that is holding it back at the oment is numbers, hope to see you at the next one Col and have a nice weekend

all the best

Andy

Social source share

Guest remus

Col.

link

If rockabilly is played then it deserves to be shunned. There was a lot of r'n'b played at the Dome before changeing promoters, but coz the numbers were good punters just swollowed it. I personally felt that the r'n'b spots that were played at the "old" Dome pissed alot of people off! When numbers are down people tend to focus more on what's being played and voice there opinions. But like you say if people are telling you it's crap than I don't blame you for not going and I'm sure people will soon start telling you that it's worth a visit!

Regards, John

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

you are probably not far off the mark, yes there was a lot more r&b at the first night but i think you would find that has changed, it is very difficult on a first night to predict the mood of the crowd, what they want to hear etc. the fact is the the amount of r&b has certainly diminshed and is being replaced with absolute top quality soul. perhaps you should get down the the next one on friday july 29th and sample some of the delights for yourself. the more the merrier, ady has put a lot of time and effort into making the dome a good night and all i can see that is holding it back at the oment is numbers, hope to see you at the next one Col and have a nice weekend

all the best

Andy

link

Andy

Did yourself and your fellow promoters/DJs discuss what styles to play during the evening? Did anyone ask London regulars what would be most appreciated?

I find that people from out of London have the completely wrong impression of London soul nights. I was getting told time after time, that all people want in London is RnB, but I swear I heard 10 times as many complaints about RnB being played, as I ever did about Oldies, newies, modern etc etc.

Its not a dig. I think its great you adjusted to criticisms following the first night. That shows the kind of thinking needed to run a successful evening.

Mikey

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Andy

Did yourself and your fellow promoters/DJs discuss what styles to play during the evening? Did anyone ask London regulars what would be most appreciated?

I find that people from out of London have the completely wrong impression of London soul nights. I was getting told time after time, that all people want in London is RnB, but I swear I heard 10 times as many complaints about RnB being played, as I ever did about Oldies, newies, modern etc etc.

Its not a dig. I think its great you adjusted to criticisms following the first night. That shows the kind of thinking needed to run a successful evening.

Mikey

link

hi Mikey

we did discuss what we were going to play and what style we were trying to achieve and get a name for, the problem is we fell foul of exactly what you have just said, we listened to too many people saying that london nights required R&B! having attended the dome before and heard a lot of R&B we went along with this and tried to cater for existing likes as well as trying to make our own stamp on the night. obviously with experience we have realise this is not the case (in fact it took only one night to work that out) the basic music policy at the dome is SOUL, GOOD SOUL. my opinion is and has always been the soul scene is a dance scene and so we aim to play good dance music at all times. we are all on a learning curve with the dome but to be honest we think we've cracked it. all we need now is for more people to believe in us and to realise that writing the dome off having never been is not only unfair but also a mistake on their part. it is a soul night and soul is what people will hear.

i am pleased to hear that you understand the problems we have experienced and appreciate that we have changed to make this a good night.

all the best and thanks for your input, all advice and comments are welcome.

Andy

Social source share

Col.

link

Col good to meet you at Brighton, get yourself down to the Dome & give it a chance mate, it's not as bad as you think. I'm not a great lover of RnB & the 1st one had far too much but things have evened out & there is a lot of bloody good Northern to be heard there. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Col good to meet you at Brighton, get yourself down to the Dome & give it a chance mate, it's not as bad as you think. I'm not a great lover of RnB & the 1st one had far too much but things have evened out & there is a lot of bloody good Northern to be heard there. :huh:

link

thanks for the positve feedback Dave

all the best

Andy

Social source share

Guest catface

I went to SITC this week with my husband who had never been to one and we both really enjoyed it. I think it is an excellent venue. There was only one guy dancing so I did not feel like getting up in case I made a complete fool of myself. We came up from Essex so had to leave early but maybe it got busier later on? Anyway thanks very much to the DJs as I heard lots of great stuff. :huh:

Social source share

I went to SITC this week with my husband who had never been to one and we both really enjoyed it.  I think it is an excellent venue.  There was only one guy dancing so I did not feel like getting up in case I made a complete fool of myself.  We came up from Essex so had to leave early but maybe it got busier later on?  Anyway thanks very much to the DJs as I heard lots of great stuff. :huh:

link

Catface & hubby, thanks for coming wednesday & glad you both enjoyed the night, the venue & the music.

Never never never worry about dancing & making a fool of yourself, as most people are too pi**ed to notice, the others drag a leg around as though a ball & chain were attached & I normally manage to make a complete fool of myself whatever I'm doing.

Hope to see you at same venue on saturday 18th June for Solid Hit Soul when we'll have Keith Woon guesting for us.

Full details @ www.solidhit.co.uk

or Dave 0797 1876661

Social source share

we did discuss what we were going to play and what style we were trying to achieve and get a name for, the problem is we fell foul of exactly what you have just said, we listened to too many people saying that london nights required R&B! having attended the dome before and heard a lot of R&B we went along with this and tried to cater for existing likes as well as trying to make our own stamp on the night. obviously with experience we have realise this is not the case (in fact it took only one night to work that out) the basic music policy at the dome is SOUL, GOOD SOUL. my opinion is and has always been the soul scene is a dance scene and so we aim to play good dance music at all times. we are all on a learning curve with the dome but to be honest we think we've cracked it. all we need now is for more people to believe in us and to realise that writing the dome off having never been is not only unfair but also a mistake on their part. it is a soul night and soul is what people will hear.

i am pleased to hear that you understand the problems we have experienced and appreciate that we have changed to make this a good night.

all the best and thanks for your input, all advice and comments are welcome.

Andy

link

I agree with Mikey that the R&B played at the Dome last year didn't help the crowd and in general is much better for smaller clubs like Shake than gaffs with big dancefloors.

I also think that the standard of DJing now isn't great. People like Greg and Shifty are missed and though I enjoyed myself at the Dome on Friday I don't think many of the DJs pleased the crowd that was there. Far too much playing a record because they'd planned to play it beforehand and not enough sizing up the crowd and giving them what they want.

Lots of collectors don't make great DJs, which is fine at small scale dos where people are doing it for the love of it. Bigger dos are tough.

I find it tough to play new stuff in London nowadays, there's a definite need for a good mix of oldies, rarities and the odd collector's or personal favourite but ONLY once you've got the crowd on your side.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert