Ground Hog On Turbo 010

Just been going through some 45s and came across two variations of the Turbo 010 release by Ground Hog. One has the A side as 'Going Back Home' b/w 'Saturday Night Stomp'. The other has the A side as 'Got To Get Enough' b/w 'Going Back Home'. Had a quick look around abd saw that Craig Moerer has the 'Got To Get Enough' variation on his site for $175....

So whats the story behind the two different variations and is $175 a realistic price??

Cheers,

Adam.

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just been going through some 45s and came across two variations of the Turbo 010 release by Ground Hog. One has the A side as 'Going Back Home' b/w 'Saturday Night Stomp'. The other has the A side as 'Got To Get Enough' b/w 'Going Back Home'. Had a quick look around abd saw that Craig Moerer has the 'Got To Get Enough' variation on his site for $175....

So whats the story behind the two different variations and is $175 a realistic price??

Cheers,

Adam.

I didn't know there were two versions, maybe I haven't noticed when I've seen it, but I think I've mainly seen it with "got to get enough" and not the saturday night side. Craig Moorer's prices are rarely realistic.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I've never seen one with "Saturday Night Stomp" on one side. When Record Corner had this in as a new release, we only ever had the "Going Back Home"/"Got To Get Enough" configuration. All the copies that I've seen in the past 38 years have been like that, too.

I would agree with Bob and say that CM's copy is overpriced. By at least $125.00, I reckon.

BTW what a fantastic record "Going Back Home" is!!!

Social source share

I've never seen one with "Saturday Night Stomp" on one side. When Record Corner had this in as a new release, we only ever had the "Going Back Home"/"Got To Get Enough" configuration. All the copies that I've seen in the past 38 years have been like that, too.

I would agree with Bob and say that CM's copy is overpriced. By at least $125.00, I reckon.

BTW what a fantastic record "Going Back Home" is!!!

I've got copies of each variation but only noticed today that one has a different A/B side!

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Going through some 45s last night, I found I also have "Got To Get Enough" as a one sided Turbo 45, with a blank label and no playing surface on the 'flip'. My guess is that the "Saturday Night Stomp" issue came first and that All Platinum decided to have Joe 'Ground Hog' Richardson quickly cover Roy C's song as it was breaking on Alaga, in an attempt to cream off a few sales. It certainly sounds like a rush job, unlike the fantastic "Going Back Home".

I honestly don't know what either are worth, Adam, but I can't ever remember seeing the GBH/GTGE on sale for more than about twenty quid. I bought one of those for a mate in Memphis about two years ago, and only paid something like $12.00 for it. I think that CM might have just plucked his valuation out of thin air...

Would really love to hear "Saturday Night Stomp", though!

Social source share

...Going through some 45s last night, I found I also have "Got To Get Enough" as a one sided Turbo 45, with a blank label and no playing surface on the 'flip'. My guess is that the "Saturday Night Stomp" issue came first and that All Platinum decided to have Joe 'Ground Hog' Richardson quickly cover Roy C's song as it was breaking on Alaga, in an attempt to cream off a few sales. It certainly sounds like a rush job, unlike the fantastic "Going Back Home".

I honestly don't know what either are worth, Adam, but I can't ever remember seeing the GBH/GTGE on sale for more than about twenty quid. I bought one of those for a mate in Memphis about two years ago, and only paid something like $12.00 for it. I think that CM might have just plucked his valuation out of thin air...

Would really love to hear "Saturday Night Stomp", though!

I always thought GBH was a £10ish 45 myself, was only when I noticed the different flips and saw CMs price that I thought that possibly the 45s with GTGE as the A side were rare. But judging from what Bob and you have said it seems 'Saturday Night Stomp' is the rarer of the two. Sound clip coming for that, not really anything to get excited about though, a below average instrumental!

Social source share

I always thought GBH was a £10ish 45 myself, was only when I noticed the different flips and saw CMs price that I thought that possibly the 45s with GTGE as the A side were rare. But judging from what Bob and you have said it seems 'Saturday Night Stomp' is the rarer of the two. Sound clip coming for that, not really anything to get excited about though, a below average instrumental!

on ebay there was just a 45 by groundhog on JAD (the johnny nash label). Is it the same guy? I didn't bid because I didn't know what it was.

Social source share

• 2 years later...
Guest TONY ROUNCE

I just got a totally different groundhog on turbo 016 which I haven't seen:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...em=350460152075

He neglected to mention in the listing that the flip was blank. Anyone have this with a flip?

Also, is there a turbo 45 discography anywhere? I've never seen one.

I don't have this other single but I've seen a couple of copies and I don't recall ever seeing one with a flip.

The track did come out again, 6 numbers later on Turbo 022, as the flip of 'Juanita Blue' . There's a Turbo LP, which I'm guessing is pretty rare, too.

I'm pretty sure, BTW, that this is not the Ground Hog who recorded for Gemigo. The Turbo Ground Hog is Joe Richardson, who was the Shirelles bandleader for many years during the 1960s. Mind you, the Gemigo 45s are largely instrumental so I suppose they might be one and the same, now I think about it...

Social source share

I don't have this other single but I've seen a couple of copies and I don't recall ever seeing one with a flip.

The track did come out again, 6 numbers later on Turbo 022, as the flip of 'Juanita Blue' . There's a Turbo LP, which I'm guessing is pretty rare, too.

I'm pretty sure, BTW, that this is not the Ground Hog who recorded for Gemigo. The Turbo Ground Hog is Joe Richardson, who was the Shirelles bandleader for many years during the 1960s. Mind you, the Gemigo 45s are largely instrumental so I suppose they might be one and the same, now I think about it...

stupid all platinum records releasing 9 billion singles to collect. i just bought some horrible stang test press by "mother of three", it's like a soft rock vietnam protest record. i didn't get it cheap too and I just needed the #.

do you think it's the same groundhog as on Jad?

here is a groundhog album, is it a reissue?

https://www.gemm.com/item/GROUND--HOG/GOT-p-TO-p-GET-p-ENOUGH/GML1449457969/

Social source share

Joe Richardson was born in New York City, NY on February 2, 1940. An artist that straddled the fence between soul and blues, at one time he was a touring guitar player for The Shirelles.

He made his debut recordings in 1959 under the name Tender Slim. In 1960 he recorded as Fender "Guitar" Slim cutting one 45 (and a half) for Enrica.

In 1962 he went back to the name of Tender Slim dropping by Herald Records for another 45.

Nothing was heard from him again until 1967. Once again as Tender Slim he recorded for Veep. 1968 found him recording for Hot Biscuit as Tender Joe Richardson with two more singles. His last documented 45 was for Jad in 1970 recording as Joe "Ground Hog" Richardson. At least two of his songs "The Choo Choo" for Veep, and the flip-side of this 45 for Hot Biscuit "Hip Huggin' Mini" have became underground soul classics. Nothing else is known about him.

"Tender" Joe Richardson:Vocals & Guitar

Other musicians unknown

Recorded in New York City, N.Y. 1968

Originally issued on and this recording taken from the 1968 single (The Hot Biscuit Company 1451) (45 RPM)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

stupid all platinum records releasing 9 billion singles to collect. i just bought some horrible stang test press by "mother of three", it's like a soft rock vietnam protest record. i didn't get it cheap too and I just needed the #.

do you think it's the same groundhog as on Jad?

here is a groundhog album, is it a reissue?

https://www.gemm.com/.../GML1449457969/

'Mother Of Three' being Sylvia Robinson who was indeed a mother of three children!

As George's bit above says, yes, the Turbo man is the same Joe Richardon who was on Jad.

I don't know that the Ground Hog Turbo album was ever reissued, unless this is some Japanese repress that I;ve never encountered before...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

I just got a totally different groundhog on turbo 016 which I haven't seen:

https://cgi.ebay.com/...em=350460152075

He neglected to mention in the listing that the flip was blank. Anyone have this with a flip?

Also, is there a turbo 45 discography anywhere? I've never seen one.

Followed your link Bob and the first thing I noticed was the ebay advert 'Recommendations For You' where the first recommendation was this: TURBO 016, WITH FLIPSIDE 'GOING BACK HOME'

Social source share

Followed your link Bob and the first thing I noticed was the ebay advert 'Recommendations For You' where the first recommendation was this: TURBO 016, WITH FLIPSIDE 'GOING BACK HOME'

awesome, thanks so much, i bought it. i even had another pending purchase with the seller so i can combine shipping.

fwiw, i just searched groundhog turbo on ebay and came up with a reissue of the LP so it has been reissued, legit or not.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert