To Hell In A Handcart

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

The supliment in The Times on Saturday listed the top 6 worst moments in Soul music history. At number six, but they seemed to be getting worse as the points moved along, was Stevie Wonder joining (I think) Blue, to 'duet' with them on a cover of one of his tracks.

This was described as the moment Soul went to Hell in a handcart.

Anybody have any horror stories that could be included under this banner?

Des O'Connor doing Walk On By maybe??

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Kolla

Kylie's "Time Will Pass You By" or possibly Bomb The Bass's "Say a Little Prayer" or possibly Huff and Herb's "Feeling Good" ...

Social source share

The supliment in The Times on Saturday listed the top 6 worst moments in Soul music history. At number six, but they seemed to be getting worse as the points moved along, was Stevie Wonder joining (I think) Blue, to 'duet' with them on a cover of one of his tracks.

link

Mikey,

What were the other 5?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey,

What were the other 5?

link

I knew somebody wold ask me that :thumbsup::yes:

Michael Jackson turning white was one.

Will look tonight and post tomorrow. Sorry Ian. Terrible memory strikes again.

Social source share

Guest remus

Kylie's "Time Will Pass You By" or possibly Bomb The Bass's "Say a Little Prayer" or possibly Huff and Herb's "Feeling Good" ...

link

Tainted love-Soft Cell, The only way is up by the yaz bird or whatever her name is, Phil Collins-You can't hurry love :thumbsup::yes:

Social source share

Guest remus

link

Any soul singer singing on a Levine production! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Phil Collins-You can't hurry love :thumbsup:   :yes:

link

Absolutely.

Northern Soul wise - Dean Parish doing that song penned as a homage to the scene, was pretty much handcart loaded and boarding about to take place.

I loved Dean's performances but that song had me cringing.

Social source share

The Commitments.

link

i always thought everyone loved the commitments - glad to see i was wrong col. absolute bag of shite, to quote paul calf!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Hasn't happened yet...

Still got to see if Dans set at Soulsville qualifies.

link

OOHH no pressure there then Dan.

I've had Paul Weller - If I could only be sure PMd to me.

Not heard this, but pretty sure I dont want to either.

Social source share

Hasn't happened yet...

Still got to see if Dans set at Soulsville qualifies.

link

in the voice of Ooh Gary Davies, 'a new entry at No1'.

Social source share

link

Anybods!know if they did Baby love;Andy Williams & David;MCA,can see it now,Andy hits the soulfull notes while David pull it alltogether,if i was a singer/artist and they said something nice about me i would take em`to court,no thanks. :thumbsup:

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Guest Kolla

What about the moment 10 or so top Northern Soul DJs took to the stage at Cleethorpes one year for a karaoke competition??? Kenny I believe you were part of the guilty party!!!!

The only person who wasn't tone deaf was Susie mum, the lovely Margaret, who volunteered to save Soul by helping everyone on backing vocals :yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

What about the moment 10 or so  top Northern Soul DJs took to the stage at Cleethorpes one year for a karaoke competition???  Kenny I believe you were part of the guilty party!!!!   

The only person who wasn't tone deaf was Susie mum, the lovely Margaret, who volunteered to save Soul by helping everyone on backing vocals  :thumbsup:   :yes:

link

Thanks Kolla, I'd forgotten that.

wicked.gif

I think the whole point was Soul acts who have commited crimes, rather than other acts that have done awful covers.

The Cleethorpes choir obviously fall into that category as they have been featured on a 10 million dollar tune auctioned on ebay. :yes:

Social source share

What about the moment 10 or so  top Northern Soul DJs took to the stage at Cleethorpes one year for a karaoke competition???  Kenny I believe you were part of the guilty party!!!!   

The only person who wasn't tone deaf was Susie mum, the lovely Margaret, who volunteered to save Soul by helping everyone on backing vocals  :thumbsup:   :yes:

link

Was roped into this at the last minit,thanks Ady?i think backing track was out key,pluss all the artists featured had been training for months,got my sick note in advance for next Cleggy,sore throte!but i will be ok for Sunday afternoon,and it wont affect my dancing,i`ll be just as fukcin`crapp!!! wicked.gif

Social source share

Guest Trevski

link

Yeh, the day Rap was invented :thumbsup:

Also any so-called R n B video that features large female butts jiggling at the camera!

Social source share

Guest mattmale

All that solo stuff by Paul Young :thumbsup:   :yes: I had to go and see him at the NEC in Birmingham in the 80s,it was my girlfreinds birthday trip and i had no choice really... wicked.gif

link

Yeah I liked him better in the Q Tips, the 'letter song' was a favourite. A bit retro, but not bad. :yes:

As for bad soul moments, what was Stevie Wonder thinking of with 'I just called to say i love you'!!!???

M.

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

Guest Kolla

Eek the worst one our Stevie did was "Ebony and Ivory" with Macca - that was definately soulgonebad - but hey he can be forgiven.. it was the 80s after all.

Social source share

Yeah I liked him better in the Q Tips, the 'letter song' was a favourite. A bit retro, but not bad.  :thumbsup:

As for bad soul moments, what was Stevie Wonder thinking of with 'I just called to say i love you'!!!???

M.

link

Should have been arrested for willful neglect of talent years ago! Shame on you Stevie. Virtually invented funk and then descended into schlock.

Social source share

link

Two Words: BRUCE WILLIS

Winnie, I was refering to the comment made on another topic about only black people can make soul records. It was meant to be sarcasm. :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

Yeah, thanks Kolla, I'd managed to erase that from my memory as well. wicked.gif

Mind you, it was a crime against humanity never mind hell in a hand cart. And I still say Andy Rix cheated !!!!

Social source share

Lorraine Ellison's 'Stay With Me Baby' is fairly unbearable, but it must be the Commitments (again) who take first place. You're not soul artists, you prats, you're a bunch of shouty divs from Dublin who can't f***ing sing! Appear on stage with Wilson Pickett indeed! :P:D

Social source share

Two Words: BRUCE WILLIS

Winnie, I was refering to the comment made on another topic about only black people can make soul records.  It was meant to be sarcasm. :P

link

==========

Guessed that was what you meant, just thought I'd widen the spectrum, those Martians just can't reach the high notes :D

Winnie:-))

Social source share

==========

You are joking???

Winnie:-)

link

I am an unfeeling swine, I know, but if you've ever lived with anybody who played the same record over and over and over again, you might feel the same! (the B-side's good, though!) :P

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Marilyn Manson's cover of "Tainted love" :lol:

link

You forgot to ad

'Was by a million miles, the best cover.'

:huh:

Social source share

link

Kim Wilde - You Keep Me Hanging On Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhh QOF

XX

Social source share

How about anything to do with Joss Stone - middle-class school girl sits down with producer and listens to authentic Soul, instantly becomes a Soul diva. Zero Gospel background, just gets it over night.

Sunday supplements faithfully and uncritically reproduce her PR of "new Aretha" tag (now come on!).

Kind of fits into my "Top Shop Soul" category - disposable pap that provides the soundtrack to bad fashion decisions. See also Anastasia.

Though I suppose it's not strictly a Soul tune, check out Joss and Melissa Etheridges terrifyingly histrionic tribute cover to Janis Joplin. Nasty.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert