James Lovejoy

Just to show I can still turn them up.

Monster unknown Northern, on RCA.

Strings arranged by Leon Pendarvis.

Sounds like a cross between Bobby Womack's "Home Is Where The Heart Is" and Clarence Carter "Messing With My Mind".

Kev Roberts simply couldn't believe it was possible when I showed it to him.

Nowhere in Manship's book, or Tim Brown's book, or on Gemm or on e-Bay.

No trace of it anywhere.

I found Jim Gilstrap's "Run Run Run" back in 2002, when no-one knew it existed, and there are still only two known copies to this date.

Now I think this might be even rarer. NOBODY but NOBODY has ever heard of it before.

Social source share

• Replies 126
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just to show I can still turn them up.

Monster unknown Northern, on RCA.

Strings arranged by Leon Pendarvis.

Sounds like a cross between Bobby Womack's "Home Is Where The Heart Is" and Clarence Carter "Messing With My Mind".

Kev Roberts simply couldn't believe it was possible when I showed it to him.

Nowhere in Manship's book, or Tim Brown's book, or on Gemm or on e-Bay.

No trace of it anywhere.

I found Jim Gilstrap's "Run Run Run" back in 2002, when no-one knew it existed, and there are still only two known copies to this date.

Now I think this might be even rarer. NOBODY but NOBODY has ever heard of it before.

Run run run first heard at rocket, exellent dance record, Ian is there any chance of hearing it pretty please billy

Social source share

ian, whats on the flip side

alan

Maybe later. "Divide And Conquer" is actually the B side.

I could have covered it up and blown everyone's mind for the next twenty years, but if I had, you'd all have accused me of it being by the Four Vandals.

Social source share

I could have covered it up and blown everyone's mind for the next twenty years, but if I had, you'd all have accused me of it being by the Four Vandals.

whats the a side, then LOL

alan

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

Could you do a Refosoul Clip for us, please Ian wink.gif

Social source share

:thumbup::no::ohmy:

I'm not deflated at all.

The record is clearly rare and incredibly hard to find and monster Northern.

I just pulled it off a shelf of my collection, while sorting out the fabulous soul packs I was doing, and wondered why I'd never heard it before.

Bloody good job I didn't sell it for a quid, like I did with Moon Williams.

Anyway, just because the guy's found the title in some listing somewhere, doesn't mean anyone else has turned up the actual record, now does it ???

Social source share

I'm not deflated at all.

I just pulled it off a shelf of my collection, while sorting out the fabulous soul packs I was doing, and wondered why I'd never heard it before.

Anyway, just because the guy's found the title in some listing somewhere, doesn't mean anyone else has turned up the actual record, now does it ???

This is more like it mate! I reckon you should introduce some of those other goodies you're keeping under wraps........

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

I'm not deflated at all.

Now Ian's answer should have deflated your ballon , Dave :no:

Regarding the 45 Ian - how long has it resided on your shelf ?

Welcome back , Ian :thumbup:

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Is this like hang man and if we get it right before we hang the man we get a sound file or a scan?

Hangman0.gif

It reminds me of playing scrabble with my granny. Exciting.

Have we got 399 more of these to look forward to or does this make it 401 in total?

Social source share

I'm not deflated at all.

Let the proles be the judge of that Ian.Post it up,them we'll judge if its monster Northern.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Now Ian's answer should have deflated your ballon , Dave :thumbup:

Regarding the 45 Ian - how long has it resided on your shelf ?

Welcome back , Ian :thumbsup:

Malc Burton

Late night boredom and couldn't resist it Malc, just seemed funny with all the initial bluster about it.

Would be interested to hear it though.

Dave

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Couldn't resist it Malc, just seemed funny with all the initial bluster about it.

Neither could I mate :thumbsup:

It is a pity that what could be a good thread , is being dragged into the gutter again .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Neither could I mate :thumbup:

It is a pity that what could be a good thread , is being dragged into the gutter again .

Malc Burton

Not wishing to drag the thread into the gutter Malc, I'd have found it funny whoever it was.

I'm off to make a cuppa and will say no more

:thumbsup:

Dave

Social source share

Is this like hang man and if we get it right before we hang the man we get a sound file or a scan?

Hangman0.gif

It reminds me of playing scrabble with my granny. Exciting.

Have we got 399 more of these to look forward to or does this make it 401 in total?

How exactly is this relevant to the thread?

Jayne.

Social source share

Jayne.

It isn't, Jayne.

I've still got eighty thousand 45s.

I don't need to justify myself and I have nothing to prove.

If I was indeed going to post up a clip, then, after that bit he said about 401, I've changed my mind. Let someone else go out and find a second copy, then they can gladly post a clip of it.

I've finished sorting my collection now. I've got ten thousand of them selected and sorted in cardboard covers, full of unknown collectable rare and unknown soul. The more I'm challenged on it, the more I'm keeping my lips sealed.

Anyone who knows me knows what I'm capable of turning up. I do not need to prove it to immature children. Hope you understand where I'm coming from, Jayne, and hope you don't mind.

Social source share

Not wishing to drag the thread into the gutter Malc, I'd have found it funny whoever it was.

I'm off to make a cuppa and will say no more

:thumbsup:

Dave

My sincere apologies Dave - I was not having a go at you mate .........

My comment was made in respect of the reply from the usual protaganist , whose barbed retorts are expected every time Ian posts , irrespective of the topic .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

My sincere apologies Dave - I was not having a go at you mate .........

My comment was made in respect of the reply from the usual protaganist , whose barbed retorts are expected every time Ian posts , irrespective of the topic .

Malc Burton

No probs mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I have to agree with James on this one. What's the point of starting a thread going on about a great new discovery without posting a sound file? Post it up and let us give our opinions of it. You do have nothing to prove Ian but this thread is meaningless without a sound file in my opinion.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Jayne.

I'm just wondering how we are going to get a scan or a sound file.

It's like a game of hang man, it's exciting stuff, really it is. Ian boasts about an amazing new discovery, but no details and no sound file, the tension is almost unbearable. I'm not sure what's more enthralling, our 4-4 with The Gooners or Ian's unknown RCA monster without sound file or details.

399 of these to go (or is it 400?), that's enough to keep the newies scene going for a generation :D

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest proudlove

It isn't, Jayne.

I've still got eighty thousand 45s.

I don't need to justify myself and I have nothing to prove.

If I was indeed going to post up a clip, then, after that bit he said about 401, I've changed my mind. Let someone else go out and find a second copy, then they can gladly post a clip of it.

I've finished sorting my collection now. I've got ten thousand of them selected and sorted in cardboard covers, full of unknown collectable rare and unknown soul. The more I'm challenged on it, the more I'm keeping my lips sealed.

Anyone who knows me knows what I'm capable of turning up. I do not need to prove it to immature children. Hope you understand where I'm coming from, Jayne, and hope you don't mind.Ian,not a fan,but I admire a man who will stick to his principles----------see you at the Torch atb Steve

Social source share

Guest BigPaul

I'm just wondering how we are going to get a scan or a sound file.

It's like a game of hang man, it's exciting stuff, really it is. Ian boasts about an amazing new discovery, but no details and no sound file, the tension is almost unbearable. I'm not sure what's more enthralling, our 4-4 with The Gooners or Ian's unknown RCA monster without sound file or details.

399 of these to go (or is it 400?), that's enough to keep the newies scene going for a generation :D

This prole asked for a sound file last night :wicked:

and was ignored :thumbup: said please to g.gif

in the opening post last night "just to show i can still turn em up" :D

tonight its "i dont need to justify myself and i have nothing to prove" :thumbup:

Social source share

I indeed would do the same!, sadly I understand completely.

Jayne.x

Social source share

I have to agree with James on this one. What's the point of starting a thread going on about a great new discovery without posting a sound file? Post it up and let us give our opinions of it. You do have nothing to prove Ian but this thread is meaningless without a sound file in my opinion.

but what's the point now Matt? surely you guess the reactions Ian's going to get to it, whatever it sounds like. Tracks will be unfairly judged by some, just waiting to make a mockery because of who is posting them up if he does.

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect not.

Jayne.x

Social source share

but what's the point now Matt? surely you guess the reactions Ian's going to get to it, whatever it sounds like. Tracks will be unfairly judged by some, just waiting to make a mockery because of who is posting them up if he does.

I hope I'm wrong but I suspect not.

Jayne.x

However good it is, it will get mocked purely because I was the one who turned it up.

If it had been 1973, they'd be mocking Frank Beverly and Lee David.

Anyway, I played it to Steve and Sue Handbury down the phone and they loved it.

I have no way of transferring it from a vinyl seven inch to my computer, so can't make a clip anyway.

Social source share

However good it is, it will get mocked purely because I was the one who turned it up.

Anyway, I played it to Steve and Sue Handbury down the phone and they loved it.

I have no way of transferring it from a vinyl seven inch to my computer, so can't make a clip anyway.

Steve and Sue,who are them ? must be good :lol:

Social source share

This prole asked for a sound file last night :lol:

and was ignored :lol: said please to :lol:

in the opening post last night "just to show i can still turn em up" :lol:

tonight its "i dont need to justify myself and i have nothing to prove" :(

Interesting observation Paul!

Do you think he really has a copy of this record or is it just another "look at me thread"?

Perhaps we should have a poll if no soundfile materialises? :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

violins_s.jpg

Are you really treated with such contemptuous mirth?

Can you give us some examples of things you have discovered that have been derided because you discovered them, or records derided because you made them and not because they were sub standard or irrelevant?

Why do you think this happens, if it does at all? If it does happen, what does this say about the crowd you are so desperate to appeal to? And if it is not true, do you think you are perhaps delusional?

There must be some confusion in your head here? You are desperate for acceptance on the soul scene, but you spit venom at it when it doesn't accept your work, and you now think the first of your 401 'unknown northern monsters' before you've even posted a file or record details.

You either respect the scene and it's opinion, or you hate it and couldn't care what it thinks?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

violins_s.jpg

Are you really treated with such contemptuous mirth?

Can you give us some examples of things you have discovered that have been derided because you discovered them, or records derided because you made them and not because they were sub standard or irrelevant?

Why do you think this happens, if it does at all? If it does happen, what does this say about the crowd you are so desperate to appeal to? And if it is not true, do you think you are perhaps delusional?

There must be some confusion in your head here? You are desperate for acceptance on the soul scene, but you spit venom at it when it doesn't accept your work, and you now think the first of your 401 'unknown northern monsters' before you've even posted a file or record details.

You either respect the scene and it's opinion, or you hate it and couldn't care what it thinks?

don't know you bud, but, from the outside it looks to me that you are a bit obsessed with ian, as any thread headed up by him, you seem to be there. only an observation, but, if i was as obsessive about this one person as you seem to be, i would be slightly concerned.

i'd like to think were all grown ups on here (some need to act like them), and we can make our own minds up about people. i for one don't need you, chirping up every time this guy starts a thread.

it has become tiresome and boring.

so do us all a favor, and give it a rest.

its not big, and its certainly not clever.

Social source share

Ian, already the track is doomed by some.

Shame.

I can't even be bothered to read some of thier posts made, in detail.

They come over as being not too nice people, all of the time.

P :lol:

Team-Levine is almost complete. Where is Pete s?

Fair play to him Dave, it must be murder keeping the Levine "cart on it's wheels".

Afterall, he's got to keep the main attraction on side for the Torch revival :lol:

Handcart to hell, I would imagine Joe? :lol:

And I think you mean "star DJ". :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ok, let's stop pissing about.

James Lovjoy - This will always be my baby's tune RCA 11367

The 2 copies I have have typos on the label and spelt Lovjoy, not Lovejoy.

I don't think it's worth more than a tenner, which is perhaps why it's not in any of the price guides?

So, 399 to go, or is it still 400?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Ian, already the track is doomed by some.

Shame.

I can't even be bothered to read some of thier posts made, in detail.

They come over as being not too nice people, all of the time.

P :lol:

Hi P,no the track is NOT already doomed.

In the interests of discovering new Northern,and therefore keeping the scene alive,i would love to hear it.

If its good i will say so.

Ian,is it 60's or 70's.?

How did R.Searling miss it?.....atb ....Kev :lol:

Social source share

Ok, let's stop pissing about.

James Lovjoy - This will always be my baby's tune RCA 11367

The 2 copies I have have typos on the label and spelt Lovjoy, not Lovejoy.

I don't think it's worth more than a tenner, which is perhaps why it's not in any of the price guides?

:lol: ,naughty boy James.

Social source share

:lol: ,naughty boy James.

There's nothing naughty about uncovering a record, especially when someone's claimed to have discovered it as an unknown - there are very few records that are going to be unknown nowadays. Ian should have put up a sound file to start off with instead of shouting about it being unknown. And as for not being able to get a sound file on the computer Ian - you're having a laugh surely.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'll try and sort a sound file later but i'm moving house this week record decks are packed away, but not sure I can be arsed anyway, it's not that special. I'll have another listen though maybe I missed something...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ian should have put up a sound file to start off with instead of shouting about it being unknown. And as for not being able to get a sound file on the computer Ian - you're having a laugh surely.

But Pete, Steve and Sue didn't know it!!!!! :lol:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It probably deserves a Trouble Remix to give it the exposure it needs to go "huge unknown northern soul"!!!! :lol:

Ian, how long do we have to wait for another of the 400? I like this game :lol:

There were 400 rare unknown records, hanging on the wall,

400 rare unknown records, hanging on the wall.

And if one rare unknown record, should accidently be in James Trouble's collection,

There'll be 399 rare unknown records, hanging on the wall.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share