Soul Recession - "double Exposure"

Guest Carl Dixon

Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody

if anybody is interested in Philly, there is a big possibility "Soul Recession" will be played this evening on Solar Radio between 6pm and 9pm on the David Nathan programme. In addition there will be an interview with legandary Philly musician, writer, producer, arranger Bobby Eli! Here is a part video, it's at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/55motown

The 'radio news announcement' will probably not be on the mix when broadcast tonight. The track was cut last September with some of the original Philly musicians heard on countless records from the 1960's/70's. This is a modern production, with throwbacks to TSOP. Earl Youngs' drumming techniques are clearly a defining sound in the mid 70's Salsoul sound, and we have it, right here on this and 3 other cuts we did in the studio. "Soul Recession" was written by Carl Dixon, Bobby Eli and Chiquita Green. Bobby features on one of the guitars, and Chiquita on backing vocals and tambourine - out of this world. This track has a John Morales and Tom Moulton mix too, so plenty of variety with the production etc.

The week before I flew out to Philly, 'Double Exposure' were contemplating the future. At that stage, we had the ideas and basic groove for the track and lyric ideas only. One phone call to them, and they were straight into the studio to be involved with the track.

They have put some of their signature harmonies on the recording and are hoping that this may open up opportunities for live performances and more studio work. There are more songs in our arsenal, so let's see whether or not this track can raise the bar with current soul music trends and generate some positive feedback.

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi everybody

if anybody is interested in Philly, there is a big possibility "Soul Recession" will be played this evening on Solar Radio between 6pm and 9pm on the David Nathan programme. In addition there will be an interview with legandary Philly musician, writer, producer, arranger Bobby Eli! Here is a part video, it's at the top:

https://www.youtube.com/55motown

The 'radio news announcement' will probably not be on the mix when broadcast tonight. The track was cut last September with some of the original Philly musicians heard on countless records from the 1960's/70's. This is a modern production, with throwbacks to TSOP. Earl Youngs' drumming techniques are clearly a defining sound in the mid 70's Salsoul sound, and we have it, right here on this and 3 other cuts we did in the studio. "Soul Recession" was written by Carl Dixon, Bobby Eli and Chiquita Green. Bobby features on one of the guitars, and Chiquita on backing vocals and tambourine - out of this world. This track has a John Morales and Tom Moulton mix too, so plenty of variety with the production etc.

The week before I flew out to Philly, 'Double Exposure' were contemplating the future. At that stage, we had the ideas and basic groove for the track and lyric ideas only. One phone call to them, and they were straight into the studio to be involved with the track.

They have put some of their signature harmonies on the recording and are hoping that this may open up opportunities for live performances and more studio work. There are more songs in our arsenal, so let's see whether or not this track can raise the bar with current soul music trends and generate some positive feedback.

Send me the stuff Carl! This sounds just the ticket........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 5 months later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

I finally got advice from CD Baby that DOUBLE EXPOSURES 'Soul Recession' is now for sale, along with bonus track 'There I go falling in love again' by Chiquita Green. The tracks are also due to be issued by all paying digital download sites like iTunes, Amazon etc, worldwide. There are 8 versions of 'SR' including instrumentals of Bobby Eli's, John Morales and Tom Moultons mixes. In addition there is the 'announcer' version and the bazar 'Ali Babas' mix too. 'There I go' is a very melodic modern Philly style performance, but with a retro feel. Earl Young, Jimmy Williams, T Conway, Dennis Harris, Bobby Eli, Rikki Hicks, Chiquita Green and Janice McClain all performed on the track, which has an uplifting singalong etc. If you are curious feel free to listen to the 30" samples of each track on CD Baby. The press release info is the same info that is on the Soultronics blog and YouTube:

https://www.youtube.c...illysoultronics

https://soultronics.blogspot.com/

Now that the tracks are for sale I can concentrate on the PR of the project and hopefully create an interest in the song and generate a healthy response. This will indicate whether we are on the right track with our song writing and production ideas for today. If sales and response are favourable, there may be a chance 'Double Exposure' might perform live somewhere. That would be terrific. At there ages, with this quality, it would maybe send a message that old school is the way to go....

Any feedback welcome on the forum or by pm. Here is the link to CD Baby:

https://www.cdbaby.co...doubleexposure2

Carl

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

Hi everybody -

I finally got advice from CD Baby that DOUBLE EXPOSURES 'Soul Recession' is now for sale, along with bonus track 'There I go falling in love again' by Chiquita Green. The tracks are also due to be issued by all paying digital download sites like iTunes, Amazon etc, worldwide. There are 8 versions of 'SR' including instrumentals of Bobby Eli's, John Morales and Tom Moultons mixes. In addition there is the 'announcer' version and the bazar 'Ali Babas' mix too. 'There I go' is a very melodic modern Philly style performance, but with a retro feel. Earl Young, Jimmy Williams, T Conway, Dennis Harris, Bobby Eli, Rikki Hicks, Chiquita Green and Janice McClain all performed on the track, which has an uplifting singalong etc. If you are curious feel free to listen to the 30" samples of each track on CD Baby. The press release info is the same info that is on the Soultronics blog and YouTube:

https://www.youtube.c...illysoultronics

https://soultronics.blogspot.com/

Now that the tracks are for sale I can concentrate on the PR of the project and hopefully create an interest in the song and generate a healthy response. This will indicate whether we are on the right track with our song writing and production ideas for today. If sales and response are favourable, there may be a chance 'Double Exposure' might perform live somewhere. That would be terrific. At there ages, with this quality, it would maybe send a message that old school is the way to go....

Any feedback welcome on the forum or by pm. Here is the link to CD Baby:

https://www.cdbaby.co...doubleexposure2

Carl

Just downloaded the Bobby Eli mix if from CD Baby.

I love the philly sound and this is awesome.

To my way of thinking you are without doubt on the right track.

Good luck.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Carl Dixon

Hi everybody -

I would like to thank those who have purchased and downloaded various tracks off CD Baby. It is much appreciated. I know a few must have also had to become members of CD Baby and joined their network to do it. CD Baby prices are slightly higher tham iTunes/Amazon, and because of this, any sales on Baby will have a better percentage to split with the artists. I think this is the right thing to do. In the first instance I point people to Baby, because we can set the price. On iTunes/Amazon there are not a lot of options. However, the tracks are for sale on iTunes now with some annoying discrepancies. They have some stopped the John Morales mix being available as a single item and only available as an album puchase with all the other tracks, and said that 'There I go' is Double Exposure as featured artist, when infact it is Chiquita Green. DE do not appear on the track, so it slightly ambiguous. I remember doing the admin for this and kept having the option to have different artists on the album and yet when I returned to the datbase, it reverted back to DE. I am tryinmg to get this changed with them, but can see issues. Anyway, all part of the learning curve....

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert