Speed Up And Slow Down

Guest kid mohair

Guest kid mohair

It been going on for years i know but do you speed up or slow down a record if you personally think it sounds better, i for one definitely do, just wondered your views its just that a couple of discussions Ive had with folk and some are really against it (you should play it how it was made) sort of thing. biggrin.gif just a bit of fun... :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 60
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest kid mohair

Hi Kiddo, Just my opinion as a collector with a turntable that does not have pitch control. I think you can probably work out the rest for yourself. :thumbsup:

No poblem denbo, each to there own.. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Dead right davie. :thumbsup:

as long as you remember to change it back , i dj'd after a well known 'popcorn' style dj and ended up playing dusty wilson at -8 laugh.gif

Social source share

i don't think you can play 'our' kind of music without flitting about with tempo's

Yes you can Davie, we just need to be a little more discerning when making our choices instead of trying to shoe-horn a record that wasn't 'meant' to be. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Would it not be fair to suggest if the record needs slowing or speeding up then the record ain't right in the first place? Play at correct speed or not at all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Emm yea i understand what your saying, i often buy records knowing that i would never play em at the normal speed and cant wait to try em pitched up or down, it dont always work mind.. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Would it not be fair to suggest if the record needs slowing or speeding up then the record ain't right in the first place? Play at correct speed or not at all.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Spot on Mark :thumbsup:

What really gets to me is following someone who's left the pitch cranked up boxing.gif

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

If you must do it ffs put it back to normal before you hand over :D

M.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

as long as you remember to change it back , i dj'd after a well known 'popcorn' style dj and ended up playing dusty wilson at -8 laugh.gif

Oh god thats hap pend a lot to me,,not concentrating. :thumbsup: trying to alter the levels without anyone noticing. :D

Social source share

Luddite.

wink.gif

Hi Joe,

I'm not one who opposes technical or technological change but one who prefers to hear a record at its correct speed.

If I had a turntable with pitch control I still wouldn't use it.

Just one of my pet hates and I have to say, you know I'm not alone. Perhaps slightly in the minority but not alone. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

of course it would be fair to suggest it biggrin.gif , in my opinion there are some brilliant brilliant records that are maybe a soupson sluggish when it comes to massive dance floor action so a sneaky +2 is necessary .

all opinions of course and when it comes to records i play mine is the only one that counts :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi Joe,

I'm not one who opposes technical or technological change but one who prefers to hear a record at its correct speed.

If I had a turntable with pitch control I still wouldn't use it.

Just one of my pet hates and I have to say, you know I'm not alone. Perhaps slightly in the minority but not alone. :thumbsup:

Have you heard the Big Daddy Simpson "Someday" that Linda has a copy of?

Get her to play it to you.... then ask her to play it at -8 (the original speed it was cut at).. and prepare to be astounded.

Social source share

Original vinyl only = original speed only.

Boot = Boot the speed up & down if you like laugh.gif

Seriously though the tools are there to use so if you feel comfortable using them get on with it.

Yes, but you are then deceiving the punters who may go out and buy the record you played / pitched up or down, only to find when they get home it doesn't sound the way they remember it and might have no facility to 'correct' its speed. You have to remember, there are a lot of good / high quality turntables out there that don't have pitch control. Are these people now supposed to go out and purchase a turntable suitable to make their record sound the way they first heard it? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get her to play it to you.... then ask her to play it at -8 (the original speed it was cut at).. and prepare to be astounded.

I'll do that but if I'm a luddite then why don't you go the whole hog and cut records to CD after totally remastering them. If you are not prepared to do that then couldn't somebody say that you too are a luddite? I'm all for keeping with the idea of using the technology that these records were intended to be used on, ie a turntable with speeds like 33rpm, 45rpm and 78rpm.

I'll give Linda a call. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Spot on Mark :thumbsup: .............the only record played 'speeded up' should be Betty Moorer, or the other version. laugh.gif

Ricardo.

Edited by RitchieAndrew
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Senerio....artist in recording studio, finishes recording dire slow bluesy record...sound recordist says "listen my man..if we speeded it up a little...to dance temo...it will be a hit....your kids wont go hungry...your wife can have a mink & you can get as many bottles of JD as you want...what do you think he'd do ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Okay, Linda played me the track from the Lp at normal speed and then at +8 and whilst I agree, it improved the recording from our New Breed R&B 'dance scene' point of view, I wasn't THAT disappointed with the original speed to be honest. :D

I think Linda is going to contribute to this thread and I agree with her opinions in advance, as we had a good and long discussion about it all and I liked her thoughts on the matter, especially the bits about the recording artists themselves and the 'silk purse'. You'll understand better after she's posted. :thumbsup:

In conclusion, it's not that I don't understand the reasons for speeding up or slowing down a record, it's just that I don't agree with it in principal, that's all. no.gif But good luck to all that think otherwise.

Social source share

Senerio....artist in recording studio, finishes recording dire slow bluesy record...sound recordist says "listen my man..if we speeded it up a little...to dance temo...it will be a hit....your kids wont go hungry...your wife can have a mink & you can get as many bottles of JD as you want...what do you think he'd do ? :thumbsup:

Don't forget the bit about the 'silk purse'. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Don't forget the bit about the 'silk purse'. :thumbsup:

Ok Den...it gives ya the option to turn a sows ear into a silk purse !!!!

got the others ready for you to listen to

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

as long as you remember to change it back , i dj'd after a well known 'popcorn' style dj and ended up playing dusty wilson at -8 :thumbsup:

C'mon Davie...tell them it wasnt me.

although I cant lie...I did do it once tongue.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

C'mon Davie...tell them it wasnt me.

although I cant lie...I did do it once :lol:

Noooooo it wasn't you :ohmy: it was Mr Bennett when we done Berwick

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

:lol:

Yes you can Davie, we just need to be a little more discerning when making our choices instead of trying to shoe-horn a record that wasn't 'meant' to be. :ohmy:

Maybe change the word shoe horn to enhance?

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Hi Kiddo,

Nah, shoe-horn works for me. The only word I might want to change is "be" to "fit". :unsure:

Denbo..........you can honestly say that you have never tweaked (if i can use that Fraze)a record and thought to your self .....that sounds 10 times better..? :unsure:

Social source share

talking about tweeking the pitch up and down on here REFOSOUL Millie Jacksons House for sale someone posted up the same song slowed down a tadge as Harold Melvin or is it Harold Melvin

Social source share

Guest kid mohair
:unsure::unsure::lol: just thought you can find yourself caught up in some sort of northern soul rule book, for example i was posting that on flyer's you need to post if they play boots or not.......well now do they tweak.god will it ever end.. :ohmy:
Social source share

Denbo..........you can honestly say that you have never tweaked (if i can use that Fraze)a record and thought to your self .....that sounds 10 times better..? :unsure:

I can honestly say I haven't.

I can't, 'cos like I've already said, I don't have a turntable with that facility.

But I wouldn't even if I did, as a matter of principle.

And when I visit the States looking for records, I take a record player that has no pitch control neither.

Neither do I even look for records where I could alter there affect by speeding up or down.

It has to be the real deal or no deal at all.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I can honestly say I haven't.

I can't, 'cos like I've already said, I don't have a turntable with that facility.

But I wouldn't even if I did, as a matter of principle.

And when I visit the States looking for records, I take a record player that has no pitch control neither.

Neither do I even look for records where I could alter there affect by speeding up or down.

It has to be the real deal or no deal at all.

Ok.. :unsure:

Social source share

of course it would be fair to suggest it :unsure: , in my opinion there are some brilliant brilliant records that are maybe a soupson sluggish when it comes to massive dance floor action so a sneaky +2 is necessary .

all opinions of course and when it comes to records i play mine is the only one that counts :unsure:

Perhaps a case of selecting authentic Northern style dance records rather than down tempo blues derge perhaps lol my opinion of course as with yours Davie I'm sure you can respect another opinion even if yours is the only one that counts...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Senerio....artist in recording studio, finishes recording dire slow bluesy record...sound recordist says "listen my man..if we speeded it up a little...to dance temo...it will be a hit....your kids wont go hungry...your wife can have a mink & you can get as many bottles of JD as you want...what do you think he'd do ? :unsure:

Reckon The Salvadors sound recordist must have suggested the change of tempo during the recording session and wow a massive world wide million seller not lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

It been going on for years i know but do you speed up or slow down a record if you personally think it sounds better

Would have to plead guilty to this - some records do sound better after a bit of tinkering about.

Been caught out by it as well though......never forget buying records such as La Lupe - Fever, and Faye Adams - Hammer, and hearing them played them at normal speed :unsure:

Edited by Stevie
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Unless you are playing to an audience who happen also to collect records. Are you being fair to them? :unsure:

hey if any of the lovely lovely people who come to BASICS have any sort of problem with anything i play they are more than welcome to say so .... in nearly 4 years it hasn't happened though , and i don't expect it will :unsure:

But i take your point that if i was playing elsewhere (i won't play anywhere else mind you) then to be 100% honest i'd still play the likes of leo price at +2 because in a dance enviroment i feel it needs it

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Perhaps a case of selecting authentic Northern style dance records rather than down tempo blues derge perhaps lol my opinion of course as with yours Davie I'm sure you can respect another opinion even if yours is the only one that counts...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Authentic northern style dance records ??? bloody hell i'd have to change my whole playlist hahaha.

there are opinions i respect mark yeah :unsure: and some of them are even replying on this thread :unsure:

Social source share

Just an amusing thought to add, looks as though the R & B scene has a lot to thank the Disco scene for ,as variable speed decks were first built to enable perfect mixing !!

Ironic really then ,no disco mixing would have meant no pitch control ,so you R & B DJs would not be able to play youre records right?? :unsure:

Edited by sjay
Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Authentic northern style dance records ??? bloody hell i'd have to change my whole playlist hahaha.

there are opinions i respect mark yeah :unsure: and some of them are even replying on this thread :unsure:

i'm crying with laughter here...I listen..I like I buy, I play...at no point do I ask myself are these authentic northern style dance records..but then again I dont ask myself what colour the artist was...or how few copies were pressed...come to think of it the dancers have never asked any of those questions either :lol:

One more thing in reply to Denbo, If anyone asks for info regarding a record I've played...I always tell them that I've speeded it up or slowed it down...then It's up to them to decide if the still want to try and track one down

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Still we never liked each other have we lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

i'm far too much of a gentleman to answer that :unsure:

Social source share

Reckon The Salvadors sound recordist must have suggested the change of tempo during the recording session and wow a massive world wide million seller not lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

There's quite a few records that have had the speed changed prior to manufacture.

I have a studio disc of Carstairs - much slower than the released version - vocally better, but probably no good to play out as everyone knows it at the "fast" speed.

Get a Decca or Champion copy of Johnny Caswell - listen to YDLMA - flip it and play IOU - you'd think a completely different vocalist - until you slow IOU down a couple or three revs, then you have the same pitched vocal - (alternatively speed up YDLMA to meet the pitch of IOU, but that doesn't sound right).

Social source share

One more thing in reply to Denbo, If anyone asks for info regarding a record I've played...I always tell them that I've speeded it up or slowed it down...then It's up to them to decide if the still want to try and track one down

Yes, I know you do but not everybody does and it's on occasions like that when a person can get caught out.

In those instances, not a problem if you have a turntable with pitch control, but if you don't and you track down a copy for your collection, then that's where the frustration can set in. IMO.

And by the way, I'm not arguing with anybody here, I'm just being the devil's advocate. I hope that's clear? :lol::)

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Yes, I know you do but not everybody does and it's on occasions like that when a person can get caught out.

In those instances, not a problem if you have a turntable with pitch control, but if you don't and you track down a copy for your collection, then that's where the frustration can set in. IMO.

And by the way, I'm not arguing with anybody here, I'm just being the devil's advocate. I hope that's clear? :lol::)

Surely it's not the dj's fault that the person buying it never done their research before shelling out good money ... If you're gonna spend hard earned money on a tune you hear in a venue then it's down to you to find out

Social source share

It is not the pitching up or down I object to so much, as the not putting the speed back to normal again for the next DJ.

I have never done it myself but I know a man who does, don't I Paul Sadot? :lol:

That said, there are records that could do with being pitched down a little though, if you want to stand any chance at all of dancing to them.

Reggie Saddler - Hear My Song - Panther is one such tune.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert